Classics shorts now on iTunes!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
yoda_four
Special Edition

Classics shorts now on iTunes!

Post by yoda_four »

iTunes link

This cooould possibly be because of the Pixar/Disney acquisition, but I think they've been planning this for a while.

Anyways, there's 10 available for purchase at $1.99 US each.
  • 1933's Building a Building
    1933's The Three Little Pigs
    1935's The Tortoise and the Hare
    1937's The Old Mill
    1938's Good Scouts
    1938's Ferdinand the Bull
    1938's Brave Little Tailor
    1939's The Ugly Duckling
    1939's The Pointer
    1944's How to Play Football
My Blog

- Paul
Super Leviathan

Post by Super Leviathan »

Thank You. I first posted news of the disney/Ipod deal a few days back, but apparently the've announced the First Wave (mostly from the 1930's, with 10 out of Disney's 15 Winning/Nominated Shorts appearing in the wave).

There are plans to make all of Disney's Oscar-winning/nominated shorts available on itunes in waves (a grand total of 47). I'm kinda concerned for some of them contain politically incorrect footage, or are filmed in widescreen (a couple were filmed in Cinemascope, which could be a real strain to see on an Ipod if kept in OAR)
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

It was mentioned on January 6 at another site.
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

Wow! Disney got into short films on iTunes. Congratulations!!! I have a regular Ipod but I don't have a video Ipod.
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

I've got the video iPod and let me tell ya. Worth. Every. Penny. :D
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

I can't wait until Lorenzo & Destino come out on iTunes, but if these shorts are released in waves, I think those two will probably be released last. Since we don't know when new waves will be available, I would probably guess that all the Academy Award shorts will probably all be released by the end of the summer or so.

There were also rumors that "full-length features" will be released on iTunes, but there are some cons about this concept:

1) The price would be extreme (if it costs $1.99 for one 7-minute cartoon, I can't imagine how much a 60-min. plus feature would be).

2) If people put these on their iPods, it would probably use a lot of their gigabyte space, personally I don't know how many megabytes or gigabytes this will take up on an iPod.

3) People would go completely blind after watching these films on 3-in. screen for long periods of time, but on iTunes it would probably be fine, I guess.

I'm sorry if I went overboard on this topic, but I think that many people feel the same way I do. It's not that I think this is a bad idea, I think it's great. I am an animator myself, & I grew up with these great cartoons & they inspired me & made me what I am today. Thanks for your time & cooperation.
Anders M Olsson
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Anders M Olsson »

It may also be of interest to know that iTunes now has fifteen episodes from season one of Kim Possible on-line.

They are USD 1.99 each, or you can buy all fifteen for USD 9.99.

Bueno Nacho
Tick-Tick-Tick
Monkey Fist Strikes
Attack of the Killer Bebes
The New Ron
Mind Games
Royal Pain
The Twin Factor
Animal Attraction
All the News
Sink or Swim
Number One
Monkey Ninjas In Space
Low Budget
Downhill
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

Christian wrote:It was mentioned on January 6 at another site.
Funny how Animated News simply did the exact same thing as me: linked to the story from another source. We're in the same boat. But, if you want the attention, yes, AN did report this a while back. However, now it's actually on the store, which to many counts as worthy of another "news" mention.

Interesting how Disney wants to put all their Award winners on a DVD though.
My Blog

- Paul
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

It's probably a liitle off topic from the title. Pixar Shorts are also available: http://www.pixar.com/shorts/index.html

It's really cool though to think that you can download these and watch them on your computer or ipod, even though it doesn't apply to NZ at all.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
skyler888
Gold Classic Collection

i tunes

Post by skyler888 »

:P the i tunes music storre has been very "disney-fied" lately. In the vides section they have disney channel shows and abc shows,also they have pixar shorts and classic disney oscar wining shorts. What do you think they'll add next?
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Re: i tunes

Post by Mouseketodd »

skyler888 wrote:....What do you think they'll add next?
Earlier this week on iTunes, I found "Vintage ToonCast" in the FEATURED VIDEO PODCASTS section. These are no longer protected by copyright, and available to download!

Among those available are some Ub Iwerks cartoons, "Aladdin the the Wonderful Lamp" and "Jack and the Beanstalk."
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Shorts on iTunes

Post by FantasiaMan »

Does anybody know when the next set of shorts will be availiable on iTunes? I hope some of the shorts, especially Lorenzo & It's Tough to be a Bird, are in the next wave. Thanks!
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

I'm sorry if I'm persistent about this, but does anybody have any info about what's on the next wave on iTunes?
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Will they eventually release some exclusive titles on iTunes. When that happens I'll be buying!!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Karushifa
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Karushifa »

FantasiaMan wrote:There were also rumors that "full-length features" will be released on iTunes, but there are some cons about this concept:

2) If people put these on their iPods, it would probably use a lot of their gigabyte space, personally I don't know how many megabytes or gigabytes this will take up on an iPod.
This is a legitimate concern. Unless some sort of new compression technology is developed for video files, I think the downloading of whole movies would be sort of space prohibitive. I have "ripped" movies off of DVDs for the purpose of watching them on flights (so that I wouldn't have to take the DVD and possibly lose/damage it), and a 2-hour movie can run about 7 or 8 GB. This would not only take up a chunk of space, but would require a long time to download even on broadband.
Karushifa
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Karushifa »

Also...does anyone know what file format the video materials from iTunes are offered as? Although I don't have a video iPod, I would be interested in downloading some of these to watch on my computer, but obviously wouldn't be able to do that if they were made to be viewed exclusively on iPod Video.

Anyways, I would definitely download Brave Little Tailor, and possibly Ugly Duckling as well...the latter has the distinction of being one of the very few cartoon shorts that has ever made me cry :cry:
Oh, I'm sorry, you're all standing...here, let me make you a chair!

Karushifa's Random Top 5 of the Week: US National Parks/Sites:
1) Yosemite N.P.
2) Caribbean Nat'l Forest (Puerto Rico)
3) Death Valley N.P.
4) Cape Lookout Nat'l Seashore
5) Sequoia N.P.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

As you may have noticed from the home page, itunes has added more shorts. Luke mentions that they added Lend a Paw, Donald's Crime, Chip an' Dale, Squatter's Rights, and Pluto's Blue Note. However, I found one more on Itunes that wasn't easy to find. It doesn't appear on the Disney Shorts page. You have to go to the TV Shows page and scroll down. One of the featured windows at the bottom shows the new Disney shorts. If you go to page 2 of that window, you will also find the short Truant Officer Donald, bringing the total number of Disney shorts offered on itunes to 16.
Super Leviathan

Post by Super Leviathan »

I was kind of perturbed my the 3-month gap between the first wave of Itunes shorts and the second wave. Oh, well.

I'm still interested in that Oscar Shorts DVD Box set that's planned for the summer. I wonder if that's still a go.
slyslayer3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by slyslayer3000 »

oh well, Disney shorts are quite amusing...
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

I found out that in Canada they only sell the Pixar Shorts. There is no Disney cartoons , no movies, no TV just those same as US seven Pixar toons. :(