Next wave of Walt Disney Treasures? Update: Future In Doubt

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:But I don't have enough money to. I do collect (and have all of) the Cartoon Classics DVDs (there are 12 right now), which have some classic cartoons on them (duh!). I haven't paid more than about $7 for a DVD in that set, compared to $24.99 and up for the Treasures.
That makes less than one dollar per cartoon in most cases - still not bad! 8)
Not bad at all! There aren't as many cartoons on these as on the Treasures, but, as a poor college student, they're good enough for me right now!
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, they will re-release the past WDT sets again, just as they will start to re-release the past PE DVDs again before the decade is up.
BWSmith

Post by BWSmith »

Is there any chance of the cut short (about the feuding hillbillies) from "Make Mine Music" being released in a "Rarities 2"?
UrsushH.Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by UrsushH.Bear »

I would love an anthology set on the anthology features- make mine music, melody time, fun and fancy free- all uncut

and I've always thought a goodwill set- with saludos amigos, three caballeros, blame it on the samba, and other shorts would be a great treasure- although i could see this one getting a legacy treatment as well.

What a fun idea to release a few of the earlier sets with future sets, yet that would nullify the authenticity and number value. It will be good to see what will be coming.
MPeriolat
Limited Issue

Post by MPeriolat »

Well, here's a thought...

If the Treasures line is heading into the sunset, would Disney consider using the Legacy collection for stuff like the Educational shorts? Maybe even for Zorro or finishing up Elfago Baga and Swamp Fox?

Either way, I did in fact get all EIGHT under my tree for Christmas and I really want to commend Disney for the work they have done. Lord knows they're always going to have my dollar, so they can keep at it.
In Mouse we Trust,

Matt
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

They definitely need to release the anthology films again in uncut versions. The ones that were edited, anyway. Cutting out that whole Hillbilly sequence and hacking up Pecos Bill's song ruined Melody Time and Make Mine Music! And I have heard one of the goodwill films was edited a little too. I can never remember which. I was hoping we'd see the Treasures sets take care of this problem, along with giving us an unchanged "Small One" as well. Now, I hope the Legacy collection does it.

Someone mentioned before that it seemed a bit odd to come out with "The Legacy Collection" when they already had the "Treasures" collection out there. I have to agree, they could have just released the Legacy stuff in the Treasures format or just finished up the Treasures stuff first rather than starting a whole new series to keep up with.

As for Zorro, that was its own TV show, so they really should just release that in season sets or something. In truth, they should have released Mickey Mouse Club on its own too, and when you think about it, one could argue that we kinda got cheated that way. Rather than getting the best of the Anthology series, we got one set with only 5 MMC episodes and two sets of serials taken out of the context of the shows. They could have given us better collections of the Mickey Mouse Club with the Hardy Boys and Spin and Marty in the context of the show, and those treasures could have been others we've been hoping for, like more of the anthology show, the rest of Swamp Fox and Baca, the educational shorts and other rarities, the unedited anthology films, and even the stuff we are now seeing as the Legacy collection. Just a thought. I love my Spin and Marty set and am looking forward to watching my Hardy Boys set, but I'd rather see them in their original presentations as part of the MMC, and I always thought just 5 episodes was a little weak for the MMC Treasures set.
thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

Well, I received an email from Mr. Maltin tonight. Here it is as follows:

Hi... Thanks so much for your kind words; they're very much appreciated. I have been told that there will be no more Treasures, and of course I'm disappointed. I have the exact same questions you do about "unfinished business," and I wish I had answers, but I don't. Nor have I been told what they plan to do under the Legacy imprint.
That this series exists at all is a minor miracle, and I feel grateful that we had a six-year run with it.
cheers, Leonard Maltin

That is truly a real letdown. We were so close to a complete set of Disney shorts. Maybe Roy will finish what Leonard started. I certainly hope so.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

thatartguy wrote:Well, I received an email from Mr. Maltin tonight. Here it is as follows:

Hi... Thanks so much for your kind words; they're very much appreciated. I have been told that there will be no more Treasures, and of course I'm disappointed. I have the exact same questions you do about "unfinished business," and I wish I had answers, but I don't. Nor have I been told what they plan to do under the Legacy imprint.
That this series exists at all is a minor miracle, and I feel grateful that we had a six-year run with it.
cheers, Leonard Maltin

That is truly a real letdown. We were so close to a complete set of Disney shorts. Maybe Roy will finish what Leonard started. I certainly hope so.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Or better yet...(click, it's a link!)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

And just for kicks...(click this too!)

KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!

Looks like I better start snatching up whatever copies of whatever treasures I can find now. By the end of the year all six waves will be completely vaulted and will make it harder for me to collect.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I "surprised", but then again I'm not. I think we saw it coming.

I'm disappointed nonetheless. :(
bambi_nl
Limited Issue

Post by bambi_nl »

ichabod wrote:Well I "surprised", but then again I'm not. I think we saw it coming.

I'm disappointed nonetheless. :(
I'm very disappointed too. Despite all the material still possibly available for the Treasures, there is actually (in my opinion) one loose end: the rest of the Donald Duck cartoons. All the other material (the educational shorts for example) can very well be released in the Legacy collection, since no educational shorts are yet released in the Treasures series.
One can argue about a second "Rarities" volume, but there are other ways thinkable to release them in the Legacy Collection.

I therefore hope - though I'm not holding my breath :wink: - that the Donald Duck cartoons are finished in a final (smaller) Treasures wave.
"Kinda wobbely" (Bambi, 1942)
Douglas Fir

Post by Douglas Fir »

So the Treasures line is officially now dead in the water?

What sucks most about this is that if they start doing Legacy releases covering the same ground as the Treasures I'll probably end up buying them again! Of course looking on the positive side they may rectify some of the problems of earlier releases (i.e. use the correct versions of Three Little Pigs and Clock Cleaners).

Out of curiosity does anyone know when Legacy Wave 2 is expected as I'm really looking forward to finally seeing Destino (and getting an official Disney Oswald DVD is gonna be pretty sweet too)!
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Brain's gone to mush currently... Legacy series?

And yes, I've very disappointed about this as well. Though I am glad all the Mickey b&w stuff came out as that was pretty much all I had not seen short wise.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
JamesDFarrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JamesDFarrow »

I wonder what Disney's explanation as to why Donald is not being finished will be!

This really sucks!

James :x
James D. Farrow
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
ZackR

Post by ZackR »

What?!?!

The need to AT LEAST finish up Donald Duck in some manner. Don't leave us hanging...

I don't care whether a Treasures or Legacy release, but they really need to finish the Donald Duck series.
MPeriolat
Limited Issue

Post by MPeriolat »

I'm pretty disappointed too. I hope that Disney finishes Donald in some form, but what really hurts is our best chance of ever getting something like Song of the South on DVD is gone as well.

For my money, I'm now of the opinion that we have to start putting the screws to Disney on the Legacy collection. It's really the only horse we have left to ride, so let's ride it!
In Mouse we Trust,

Matt
Tannerman
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tannerman »

MPeriolat wrote:I'm now of the opinion that we have to start putting the screws to Disney on the Legacy collection
Given the quality control nightmare that was Legacy Wave 1, I'm not that encouraged.
Walt Disney Treasures - Custom Disney DVD Inserts
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

COME ON, DISNEY - FINISH DONALD DUCK!!!
thomashton
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thomashton »

With all the talk of Treasures cancelling I thought, "No way right now. They'll finish Donald first."

I can't believe they're doing this, but then I can. I just thought this kind of stupid move by Disney was gone now that Eisner was gone. Boy was I wrong.
To all who come to this happy place, Welcome...Disneyland is your land...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

slave2moonlight wrote:They definitely need to release the anthology films again in uncut versions. The ones that were edited, anyway... And I have heard one of the goodwill films was edited a little too. I can never remember which. I was hoping we'd see the Treasures sets take care of this problem, along with giving us an unchanged "Small One" as well. Now, I hope the Legacy collection does it...

As for Zorro, that was its own TV show, so they really should just release that in season sets or something...
I agree that Disney should release the uncut package features. The "El Gaucho Goofy" segment of "Saludos Amigos" cut out Goofy's cigarette, if I'm not mistaken. If "Small One" is ever restored, that would bode well for "Aladdin" being restored as well.

And, I believe that the Disney Movie Club has a Zorro box set.
MPeriolat wrote:but what really hurts is our best chance of ever getting something like Song of the South on DVD is gone as well
Not necessarily. We probably have to wait awhile, but I have a feeling that, years from now, SOTS will see the light of day. Maybe Mr. Maltin can team up with Disney again for a new series. Is Roy against releasing SOTS? I have a feeling that I read that he is...is that true? Once Iger's out of office, maybe the new CEO will see that there's nothing wrong with SOTS. Or, maybe someone can persuade Iger to release it...
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Or, maybe someone can persuade Iger to release it...
Does anybody have any video or pictures we can use against him? He can have it/them back in return for true releases of SOTS and So Dear to My Heart.

As for the Treasures line, I'll be very upset if they don't finish the Donald shorts. Even doing it on the Legacy series will be upsetting because they don't look the same and the collectibility isn't the same. I have every Treasures set and for them to not finish the Donald Duck series is flat-out wrong. Why can't we have both series? One endorsed and finished by Leonard Maltin and the second endorsed by Roy. This would be the best of both worlds and should be appealing to most everyone. Hopefully, they'll come to their senses and release the DD cartoons as Treasures.