Miyazaki U.S. Disney Rip-Off

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Miyazaki U.S. Disney Rip-Off

Post by goofystitch »

From the looks of the cover art, you are probably thinking this is a Disney release that somehow slipped past Luke on the upcoming release schedule, but it's not. It was released by Manga Video. According to amazon.com, it was released on August 29th, 2006. I saw it at my local Wal Mart today for the first time and looked to see the studio to make sure I didn't miss something. It's even got a slip cover. I have collected all of the previous Myazaki films, most released through Disney, but a few by other studios. I rented this film once and found it hard to sit through, so I won't be buying it.

So what is your take on this? Do you feel that it is wrong that they essentially ripped Disney's cover art theme? Or do you feel this is a good thing because it fits in well with the rest of the films, most of which have been released in the U.S. by Disney and with slipcovers.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

its just a strategy hoping it would seel as good as the disney distributed ones.i dont think its wrong legally. even anastasia had a disney like dvd cover art.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
RachelSmachel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RachelSmachel »

I don't see how this cover rips off those of Disney. Could you please explain the features of it that are Disney-like? The only connection I can make is that there is a castle and even that is a bit of a long shot.
mcduck
Limited Issue

Re: Miyazaki U.S. Disney Rip-Off

Post by mcduck »

goofystitch wrote:
So what is your take on this? Do you feel that it is wrong that they essentially ripped Disney's cover art theme? Or do you feel this is a good thing because it fits in well with the rest of the films, most of which have been released in the U.S. by Disney and with slipcovers.
I do not think this is a rip-off either. I like the cover, it does not bother me that they copy the red band at the top, as you said it shall complement the rest of the collection... in the other hand P. Mononoke does not had also this look and still part of the Disney contract... I think it is an extra for those who like uniformity in the collection.
For your reference and records my native language is Spanish.
FOREVER FIESTY
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Castle of Cagliostro is a magneficent film. Yes, the cover art may be like Disney's, but it fits well into my collection now. I have no problem with this cover at all.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Saw Castle of Cagliostro the same day that Desperate Housewives Season 2, Darkwing Duck Volume 1, TaleSpin Volume 1, Brother Bear 2, TMNT Volume 5 and The Tick Season One.
So I decided to buy it but wasn't planning on buying it when I went to Best Buy.

Maybe BVHV didn't take it since it was a mature adult film.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

That movie is based on the Lupin anime Tv series.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

RachelSmachel wrote:
I don't see how this cover rips off those of Disney. Could you please explain the features of it that are Disney-like? The only connection I can make is that there is a castle and even that is a bit of a long shot.
Disney's releases of Myazaki films have the same red banner at the top of most of the films.
RachelSmachel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RachelSmachel »

goofystitch wrote:
Disney's releases of Myazaki films have the same red banner at the top of most of the films.
I see, thank-you for explaining. As far as I know the Australia releases don't have the same banners.