Fantasia/F2K: 2-Movie Collection Discussion: Nov. 30, 2010

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

CampbellzSoup wrote:I never even saw Fantasia I don't care about features
I stopped caring for bonus features- unless they sound VERY promising- long ago. As long as the US gets an AMAZING transfer AND a BD/DVD combo pack of both movies, I'll be satisfied. :)
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

miniroll32 wrote:
Many people have seen it, and many of them care.
Too bad so sad
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

DisneyJedi wrote:
I stopped caring for bonus features- unless they sound VERY promising- long ago. As long as the US gets an AMAZING transfer AND a BD/DVD combo pack of both movies, I'll be satisfied. :)
ditto.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

The most important thing for me is the film as well. Bonus features are bonuses, you take what you can get. My only issue is when Disney advertises what will be featured and then those bonuses disappear. Something like the now missing Fantasia World really does bother me.

Overall, I'll be happy with the release because I'm sure that both films are going to look great on blu!
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

I'm just glad I ordered the film for when it was £12.33 on Amazon. Given how much extra is on offer with the B&TB release for £16, that seems about right to me.
Charlie91xo

Post by Charlie91xo »

I've not seen it either so the main reason that I am looking forward to the release is to see both films. Whatever extras are included are happily accepted by myself :D
King Louis 2010
Limited Issue

Post by King Louis 2010 »

I've had Fantasia on video for many years, and did buy the first DVD set, but it was faulty, and though the shop replaced it three times one of the discs was always faulty [just wouldn't play]. After that I kind of gave up on Fantasia, especially as my video was [and still is] of pretty good quality. I was initially excited about the new Fantasia set but now it looks pretty poor. I should have perservered with the old set, as it had more special features!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

as an avid "features" guy, I'll scrounge everything I can get. That said, I will be getting THIS release for the restoration, and buying the Legacy DVD on its own once I've seen the movies.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

miniroll32 wrote:I'm just glad I ordered the film for when it was £12.33 on Amazon. Given how much extra is on offer with the B&TB release for £16, that seems about right to me.
Not that big of a bargain...The combo pack (Fantasia + Fantasia 2000) is just £17...unless you don't care about the latter movie.
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

geniuswalt wrote:Not that big of a bargain...
Most new Blu-Ray releases aren't under £15 these days :)
hoojib127

Post by hoojib127 »

So there's no way of JUST getting "Fantasia" I take it (I don't really care about 2000)? :|
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

hoojib127 wrote:So there's no way of JUST getting "Fantasia" I take it (I don't really care about 2000)? :|
Yes - if you live in the U.K an other parts of Europe as we are getting;

Fantasia [Double Play, Blu-Ray + DVD)
Fantasia 2 Movie Collection [Combo Pack, 1 x Blu-Ray of Fantasia, 1 x Blu-Ray of Fantasia 2000]

The U.S is getting just the 'Combo Pack' which includes both films, but the benefit on their half is that they get 4 discs in their pack, because it will include DVD copies of the film. The U.K Combo Pack doesn't.

Kind of a mixed bag really... Not sure why Disney have taken this approach, but it all must be to do with sales forecast. I'm happy we have Fantasia single release because I want the DVD copy of the movie, plus I'm not a fan of F2K. It'll look better in my collection too :)
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Don't think this has been posted before, heres a break down of the bonus features for this release copied from the 1st September Disney press release;

"Fantasia DVD Bonus Features:

* New Audio Commentary with Disney historian Brian Sibley
* Disney Family Museum (running time: approx. 5 minutes) – Walt’s daughter Diane Disney-Miller takes viewers on a tour of the new Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, California featuring a very large exhibit on Fantasia and most importantly, the Schultheis notebook with long-lost Fantasia production notes found in more recent years in the walls of a convent.

Fantasia Blu-ray Bonus Features:
Everything on the DVD plus:

* Disney View – This viewing mode maximizes the Blu-ray viewing experience with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. Original artwork created by a Disney artist, in a style that complements the beauty of the film.
* The Shultheis Notebook: A Disney Treasure (running time: approx. 14 minutes) –An in depth look at the recently discovered Schultheis Notebook. The detailed log was created by Herman Schultheis, an effects man on Fantasia, and intricately breaks down the film from a technical view. Many of the special effects used in Fantasia were a mystery to modern day animators until this notebook was recovered.
* Interactive Art Gallery and Screensavers – Viewers can explore the artwork of Fantasia as never before, in HD resolution with unique Blu-ray interactivity and programming.
* Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection
o With executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, animation historian John Canemaker, and Scott McQueen, manager of film restoration.
o Audio commentary with interviews and story note recreations by Walt Disney, hosted by John Canemaker.

Save on Disney Blu-rays while supporting this site:

Fantasia 2000 DVD Bonus Features:

* Musicana – Walt’s Inspiration for a Sequel (running time: approx. 10 minutes) – This documentary reveals rarely-seen art created for Musicana, a late 1970’s project intended as a Fantasia sequel with a focus on exploring other cultures via their greatest musical compositions.

Viewers are offered a look at the origins of pieces that were started by Walt, such as “The Emperor and the Nightingale” which was then taken over by a very young John Lasseter. Ultimately, Musicana was stopped to begin production on “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” but the memories of this piece still live on with the animators who conceived it.

Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray Bonus Features:
Everything on the DVD plus:

* Dali & Disney: A Date With Destino (running time: 82 minutes) – This feature length documentary explores the collaborative relationship between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali, revealing how and why the Destino short came to fruition under the lead of Roy E. Disney in 2003 so many years after its inception in 1946.
* Destino (running time: approx. 7 minutes) – The legacy of Walt Disney and Salvador Dali lives on in this highly anticipated short film.
* Disney’s Virtual Vault -- BD-Live Feature
o Original DVD Bonus Features from Legacy Collection
* Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection (total running time: 84 minutes)
o With executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, and producer Don Ernst.
o Audio commentary with the directors and art directors for each segment.

It doesn't really clear up whats happening with the B.D Live. I noticed near the top, it says regarding the Blu-Ray "Everything on the DVD plus..." which may suggest that the DVD contains more than what is listed? I do hope this is the case, because a 5-minute documentary that has nothing to do with the film (Family Museum) and an Audio Commentary seem like dire 'extras'.

Whats more, the Fantasia 2000 DVD is the only one that lists B.D Live content. And below it, it lists 'Original DVD Bonus Features from Legacy Collection', so the only way were going to be able to access those features is if you live in the U.S, unless Disney decide to activate Live world-wide before the release... Hmmm :(

Finally, this suggests that even if the Fantasia single pack was available in the U.S, you'd be no better off because the Combo-Pack contains the B.D Live feature anyway. So the single release, apart from the Audio Commentaries (New and Original) only contains the 15-minute documentary and some artwork...

Nice one Disney!... Lets look forward to 2020 and the Inanimate-Carbon-Rod Editions!
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Amazon UK has finally updated the cover art for Fantasia Combo Pack;

Looking very nice! Still preferred the original film font though.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Just to show that Disney really fumbled this release in more ways than one, on their official youtube page they uploaded just a couple of weeks ago the trailer for this release still showing the "Fantasia world" logo.... :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYupouS-I7Q
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Wow! As if Tangled dolls still having the old Rapunzel logo wasn't enough.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

geniuswalt wrote:Just to show that Disney really fumbled this release in more ways than one, on their official youtube page they uploaded just a couple of weeks ago the trailer for this release still showing the "Fantasia world" logo.... :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYupouS-I7Q
Not to mention it also calls them Diamond Editions still. :roll:

It just annoys me still to no end that they changed it at all. What was the advantage of it? Why not still have them labeled Diamond Editions? Why not just release Fantasia World as a separate disc. Would it really be more risky than producing their 10th or whatever Air-Bud spin-off?
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

singerguy04 wrote:It just annoys me still to no end that they changed it at all. What was the advantage of it? Why not still have them labeled Diamond Editions? Why not just release Fantasia World as a separate disc. Would it really be more risky than producing their 10th or whatever Air-Bud spin-off?
I think its obvious that, whilst Disney had great intentions for the initial release of this film, some kind of unforeseen marketing problem or plans for the future have come up trumps this time round. It was suggested earlier that the 'shorts' which were meant to be placed in Fantasia World could well be used in some other capacity... This is a perfectly reasonable statement.

On the other hand, we have to analyse what a Diamond Edition affectively is. From a marketing p.o.v, it is merely Disney suggesting that the chosen film is their 'La creme de la creme', hence why Fantasia was originally going to be a Diamond release. But on an aesthetic level, and as I said countless times over the past few months, its also a marker for how the product is designed. If all the films were sold in similar formats, there would be no need for the Diamond-Special tier system.

Diamond Editions, just as the Platinums before, have 3 Discs as standard; 2x Blu-Rays and 1x DVD. The additional Blu-Ray which contains the extras is obviously the major factor in why this release was changed. Combined with Fantasia 2000, Disney may have completed bottled-up at the idea of treating a film with such a narrow audience to 5-Discs, as it would not only bump up the price but, no matter how much we all praise the film, still has a select demographic, unlike B&TB which is loved by everyone.

And Disney weren't willing to sell Fantasia 2000 on its own again with another extras disc because not only would they have grossed a poor income, but we have to ask does it deserve Diamond status? And if not, how do you package a Diamond with a Special Edition? Its too complex. Whats more, the two films simply have to be sold together so that Fantasia 2000 gets recognition. Its a simple fact that those who like Fantasia 2000 will, undoubtedly, already be fans of the original.

I would assume that 'Fantasia World' was indeed the name for the extras-disc had the Diamond Edition of gone ahead, though I have my doubts over other features. Documentaries take time to make, and I'm sure that if Disney planned on more extras, they would have been produced as early as last year, ready. But the absence of even a 'Making of...' video suggest to me that they simply didn't have enough content to make up an extras disc, which is a complete shame.

Heck, I've got about 4 books written purely on Fantasia and they contain a great amount of information and accounts of the production of this film. So why couldn't they transfer this into a documentary form? Complete farce.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

^ Plus they already have an enormous amount material that could have been ported over from the Anthology set. I'm still upset, frankly. Disney completely messed up. I understand that some people don't care because they've never seen Fantasia/2000 in the first place, but what about all of the other people who have seen the films? It's just unfair, especially since the only target audience that they should have focused on is the collectors/Disney buffs. Fantasia isn't a mainstream title (even though it did sell millions of copies on VHS). It takes maturity and a higher level of understanding to fully comprehend the two films. Disney is very displeasing, of recent.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

You know, it just occurred to me maybe Disney is cutting back on this release because the movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice was disappointing at the box office and since they're releasing that movie at the exact same time as this they decided to cut back to earn the money they lost.

Disappointing if that's why, but Disney has become a big business and probably has its problems like everyone else is at this point.