The Future of Disney Animation

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

The Future of Disney Animation

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

With only Tangled and Winnie the Pooh in the pipeline for Disney Animation, what projects do you think they are currently planning?

There are obviously rumours about King of the Elves, Snow Queen and an apparent Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation but it seems the future of the department is especially up in the air at the moment, apparently as management are planning a radical downsize.

What direction do you think Disney animation should go in and are there any projects you are hoping they undertake?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

There's possibility of a Roger Rabbit sequel if I'm not mistaken.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Musker and Clements have pitched a few ideas to Lasseter, so they will more likely than not have another project in the works soon.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Jack and the Beanstalk was not greenlit

Joe Jump is still in the works and from my understanding King of the Elves has been resumed yet again?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

I wish they would put "My Peoples" back into production. I recently read about it in a book about abondoned Disney animation and it sounded like an intriguing idea, especially as Andreas Deja was so heavily involved in planning it. Maybe if Tangled is a success, Disney and Deja will resume work on planning the film.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Okay I gotta say it, I feel a video game (Joe Jump) is not a very Disney subject. I feel something like Fraidy Cat is, I feel anything organic dealing with real life or books which are about real life is, but not a video game. You can try to explain against it all you want but I'm sure you all feel a Disney movie about a video game...well, think about it, not as a movie itself, but as a Disney movie, a movie for Disney.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

[quote]Okay I gotta say it, I feel a video game (Joe Jump) is not a very Disney subject.[/quote]

I kind of agree with you there. Maybe a project like Joe Jump would work better as a live action feature rather than an animated one but we fans are calling out for more diverse and original ideas so I wouldn't completely dismiss anything they're planning until more concrete details are revealed.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Neal wrote:Jack and the Beanstalk was not greenlit

Joe Jump is still in the works and from my understanding King of the Elves has been resumed yet again?
I'm kinda relieved actually. Disney is gonna have to eventually take a break from fairytales and find more diverse material for their films.
Disney Duster wrote:Okay I gotta say it, I feel a video game (Joe Jump) is not a very Disney subject. I feel something like Fraidy Cat is, I feel anything organic dealing with real life or books which are about real life is, but not a video game. You can try to explain against it all you want but I'm sure you all feel a Disney movie about a video game...well, think about it, not as a movie itself, but as a Disney movie, a movie for Disney.
Thank you...I'm glad I'm not alone on this.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Didn't we already have a thread about this?

Albert? :P
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

A thread about the future of Disney Animation?

Hmm...

Disney Duster's To Save Disney this 2010 is about Disney Animation Studios and how the mere name of "Tangled" can potentially make or break the studio.

Neal's Full Slate Of Upcoming Disney Animation hasn't been updated since last December but was meant to be a continuing source of Disney Animation news. Later on he made the thread Traditional Animation Is Back (It Seems For Good) At Disney! celebrating the news that there was another 2-D film in the works after The Princess and the Frog.

BDF's A Kiss Before Dying... [2D Animation] is not about a future WDAS project involving a princess whose kiss is deadly, but his concerns that 2-D animation is dead at Disney.

I'm sure I missed a few. But four threads seem to cover enough ground.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

What if Disney does this movie, when the time comes? Just a thought.

The Banshee and Fin Magee (Originally titled The Banshee) - Dean DeBlois, co-writer and co-director of Lilo & Stitch, tries his hand at live action with this period ghost story set in Ireland. In writer-director-producer DeBlois's own words, "It's the story of a little boy who is ignored by the world and pretends to be a ghost, who (then) comes into contact with a real ghost." DeBlois claims this "story of friendship, love and loss" is aimed at the Harry Potter audience; he hopes older kids will enjoy this supernatural mystery. Production was supposed to begin spring 2005, but as of now, nothing has been shot and there is no firm release date yet set. In February 2006, it was reported that Robert Nelson Jacobs had been hired to rewrite DeBlois' script. Jacobs was Oscar-nominated for his Chocolat screenplay, but got fewer raves for his work on Dinosaur, Out to Sea, and The Shipping News

http://www.dvdizzy.com/disneyintheaters.html
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

:oops: Yeah, college has been a life-sucker. I began a number of Disney threads/projects that are now on hiatus.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Neal wrote:Jack and the Beanstalk was not greenlit

Apparently, Jack and the Beanstalk didn't get greenlit because some other studio has a live action Jack the Giant Killer in the works somewhere. And of course, Disney doesn't want to confuse the public... :roll:

As for Joe Jump, I believe it's been transformed into Reboot Ralph (such is the way of a trip through the Disney/Hollywood development circle; I bet The Princess and the Frog probably started life as a film about Joan of Arc :roll: ), and it's believed that King of the Elves is indeed back on the cards, potentially in traditional animation. In all honesty, I think that the Joe Jump/Reboot Ralph premise/concept seems better suited to short or featurette length than anything over an hour, and news of it has never really gripped me since the earliest days of it being mentioned in the same way as with Tangled/Rapunzel, Meet the Robinsons, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted and even the new Winnie the Pooh film (then again, what we've heard so far may not really do full service to the idea, and we haven't actually seen any artwork for it as well). I can understand that Disney getting out of the fairy tale business (well, producing nothing but fairy tales) is not necessarily a bad idea (in fact, as much as I love a good old fashioned Disney fairy tale, Disney needs to diversify and for the fans to accept it), but I don't think that Joe Jump/Reboot Ralph sounds all that enticing. King of the Elves, on the other hand, does interest me quite a bit.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Disney Duster wrote:Okay I gotta say it, I feel a video game (Joe Jump) is not a very Disney subject. I feel something like Fraidy Cat is, I feel anything organic dealing with real life or books which are about real life is, but not a video game. You can try to explain against it all you want but I'm sure you all feel a Disney movie about a video game...well, think about it, not as a movie itself, but as a Disney movie, a movie for Disney.
But Disney did make a movie about a video-game. It's called Tron. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well...many things.

One is I meant an animated film.

Two is I'm not sure that's the kind of thing Walt would have approved of.

And three is, it's a Disney movie where human beings enter a video game world that is made up, almost like humans that enter magic worlds in past Disney films. But Joe Jump would have been about a video game character entering another video game.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote: Two is I'm not sure that's the kind of thing Walt would have approved of.
With Walt's dedication for technology and technological progress, I doubt he would be against something that focus on technology, even if it centered around a video game.

Ralph reboot would world well in Epcot for it's promotion and merchandise.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Super Aurora wrote:With Walt's dedication for technology and technological progress, I doubt he would be against something that focus on technology, even if it centered around a video game.
I agree with that. Heck, he might have even loved the concept of telling a story through the interaction that video games offer and the possibilities of combining those concepts with film-making.
filmmusic
Limited Issue

Post by filmmusic »

Sorry to be pessimistic but I see no future at all!
the classics are dead! 2D is dead!

After Tarzan (and a bit before) Disney completely lost the game.

I remember back then, that when a new Disney film was out, it was the big event of the year for me!
Now it isn't anymore.
Thank God there's still Ghibli with its classic animation that hasn't changed!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

filmmusic wrote:Sorry to be pessimistic but I see no future at all!
the classics are dead! 2D is dead!

After Tarzan (and a bit before) Disney completely lost the game.

I remember back then, that when a new Disney film was out, it was the big event of the year for me!
Now it isn't anymore.
Thank God there's still Ghibli with its classic animation that hasn't changed!
Excuse me, but if 2D is dead, tell that to The Princess and the Frog and Enchanted (despite that there's only ten minutes of animation in that one), Disney's most recently released 2D projects.

Now excuse me for being rude and/or childish, but if you're going to be Mr. Negative about the future of Disney and you have nothing else to say, then just sit down and shut up!
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

I don't believe 2D is dead at all, Princess and the Frog is enough proof that Disney are still capable of making good animated features. The glory days of the 1990's are long gone but not all of the animated films Disney have produced since then have been bad, Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove are examples. John Lasseter claims on the PATF special features that Disney assembled the best group of animators in the world to produce the film so I can't see why the same group can't do so again, provided they work with capable writers and directors.