Tinker Bell Receives Walk of Fame Star

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think I agree with Siren (and UmbrellaFish) here--it's not simply about Tinkerbell herself (she is fictional, after all), but about everything that encompasses her creation and history. Recognizing her is simply stating that the character is an American icon and will most likely be remembered long after any human 'celebrity' is dead. Besides, even if you believe this is a superficial reward and ignores all the work of the people who really made her, the same could be argued for anyone else who gets a star. Why don't we just go ahead and list the schools that educated all the famous actresses/actors who ever received the 'honor' of a star, including who truly inspired them? I mean, does it really matter who helped make them who they are? It's about "fame" and fame, if you hadn't noticed, is superficial and many times undeserved.

But, then, that would be my opinion if the "Walk of Fame" actually meant something to me.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I do feel it is much ado about nothing. Thank you Divinity. And I feel the same way about the Walk of Fame. In its hey-day, it meant something, it was an honor. These days, you don't have to be a great actor to get one...less than mediocre will still get you a star.

I am sure some actor is having a hissy fit Tinkerbell gets a star but they haven't got one yet.
amazon980
Gold Classic Collection

Post by amazon980 »

I would like 2 nominate Ariel for a star
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I guess that the only Disney Princess who can get a star is Snow White because she's the one who started it all,but it will be better if all the Princesses will get one :D.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm glad some people agree with me. :)

Although, I must say I don't believe the award is that great of an honor, it's still an honor.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Although, I must say I don't believe the award is that great of an honor, it's still an honor.
But that's the point. It's not an honour at all. The Hollywood walk of fame thing is a complete crock of S***.

People aren't *awarded* a star. You are aware that actors/ studios /estates have to pay for it?

Johnny Depp wasn't given a star to honour him. The only reason Johnny Depp has star is because either he or his management or a studio said "Hey let's buy Depp a star".

The same with Donald Duck. Do you think anyway went "Hey let's honor Donald Duck with a star" ?

No because in reality what happens is Disney thinks to themselves, hmm let's splash some cash and get a bit of publicity.

This is exactly the same. No one is "honoring" Tinkerbell. All that has happened is that some genius at Disney thought "Hey we've got a crappy direct to video film about Tinkerbell being released later this year. So why dont we pay to have Tinkerbell put on the Hollywood Walk of Fame".

So I'm sorry, but all this talk of "honoring" Tink is pure crap, in reality all that is happening is that Disney is pulling a publicity stunt to create buzz and push their cgi s***.

And anyone seriously suggesting that any of the Disney Princesses should be put on there seriously needs to get a f***ing grip on reality.

Oh if you hadnt guessed. Im seriously pissed off.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

From Wikipedia:
Nominations are submitted annually by May 31, and the Walk of Fame committee meets the following month to pick the next year's group of honorees.
The first quote seems to prove that to recieve an award you must be nominated first. Surely the company that manages the actor/character sends in nominations, but then a committee reviews the nominees and picks the ones who deserve the honor. So not just anyone can get in.

and:
In order for a person to get a star on the Walk of Fame, he or she must agree to attend a presentation ceremony within five years of selection, and a $25,000 fee must be paid to the Trust for costs such as security at the star ceremony; a 2003 FOX News story noted that the fee is typically paid by sponsors such as film studios and record companies, as part of the publicity for a release with which the honoree is involved.[citation needed] On other occasions, the fee is paid by a fan club or the nominating person or organization.
This quote says that the fee is used to buy security for the ceremony and other things like that. So, yes you do have to pay a fee to get a star, but first you must go through a selection process. I'm not saying Disney didn't find this as a perfect opportunity to promote the Tinker Bell movies, but it's still an honor she got picked!

Also, ichabod, if you think this whole thing is a crock, why reply that Tinker Bell shouldn't get a star in the first place? And I want to mention that I think that before a character gets an award, then need to deserve it. They need to be an icon, and I don't honestly believe any of the Disney Princesses have achieved icon status, including Snow White. But Tinker Bell certainly has. I feel the character deserves it as does Mickey Mouse Donald Duck, Buggs Bunny, Kermit the Frog, and others.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Your quotes dont justify anything, in fact all they do is prove even more what a mutual appreciation society Hollywood is.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Also, ichabod, if you think this whole thing is a crock, why reply that Tinker Bell shouldn't get a star in the first place?
Oh I do apologise! I wasnt aware this was the "please post only if you are in support of this decision" thread.

Oh precisely where is your logic that Tink deserves a star but a princess doesn't?

I suppose Tink deserves this because of all her charity work and helping with humanitarian aid. And the changes and impacts shes made upon the world and society. We do all know how outspoken Tink is on the third world food crisis and human right issues. Tink and Susan Sarandon - sisters is arms fighting for the greater good. Oh yeah she really *deserves* it :roll:
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

ichabod wrote:I suppose Tink deserves this because of all her charity work and helping with humanitarian aid. And the changes and impacts shes made upon the world and society. We do all know how outspoken Tink is on the third world food crisis and human right issues. Tink and Susan Sarandon - sisters is arms fighting for the greater good. Oh yeah she really *deserves* it :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Oh good God, you're starting to get silly...

Your quotes dont justify anything, in fact all they do is prove even more what a mutual appreciation society Hollywood is.
Oh really? You said they weren't "awarded" and honored with a star. They are! They don't buy the stars! They nominate and then pay for the ceremony! Not for the star! So it is an honor, they are recognized by a committee.
Oh I do apologise! I wasnt aware this was the "please post only if you are in support of this decision" thread.
It's not that, ichabod. It's that you seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say she doesn't deserve a star, now you say the whole thing is a crock and anyone can get one.
Oh precisely where is your logic that Tink deserves a star but a princess doesn't?

Oh, I don't know. Tink's been around fifty years, she's been in front of nearly every Disney DVD presentation, she's opens "The Wonderful World of Disney", and even the very fact people parody Disney's Tinker Bell more than other Disney characters proves she's more iconic than Ariel, Jasmine, or Cinderella! And coming from a hard-core TLM fan, that means a lot.
I suppose Tink deserves this because of all her charity work and helping with humanitarian aid. And the changes and impacts shes made upon the world and society. We do all know how outspoken Tink is on the third world food crisis and human right issues. Tink and Susan Sarandon - sisters is arms fighting for the greater good.
You're beginning to confuse being a human rights supporter and being a Hollywood legend. They're different, you know.

Oh yeah she really *deserves* it :roll:
And yeah, in my personal opinion she does.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

UmbrellaFish wrote:It's not that, ichabod. It's that you seem to be contradicting yourself. First you say she doesn't deserve a star, now you say the whole thing is a crock and anyone can get one.
I'm not contradicting myself at all. Yes I think the whole thing is pointless, considering the money changing hands. It's like the flipping Oscars. But if they are insistent upon going ahead with it, they should at least chose somebody who has contributed to Disney history and really has been a force in the film industry.

I mean when you think of the unnamed people like Ollie Johnstone, Milt Kahl, Woolie Reitherman, Mary Blair, Joe Grant to name just a handful. People who have created characters, directed films, contributed that are still being watched today and inspiring the people of tomorrow.

But because these aren't "names" which people would recognise, Disney thinks "screw it, we'll nominate Tink instead".

What a slap in the face that is. Just shows the money-mad, marketting crazed bodies that run Disney these days for what they are. And shows what complete disregard and lack of respect Disney have for the people who truly should be remembered. But that's nothing new. That's Disney all over these days isnt it, slap some crappy game on DVD rather than make any decent bonus features, slap Mickey Mouse's face on everything from a dog bowl to a leaf blower and then try and pretend that Tinkerbell is an icon of cinema.

Pure bollocks.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

mooky_7_sa wrote:Tink and Susan Sarandon - sisters is arms fighting for the greater good. Oh yeah she really *deserves* it :roll:
Narrisa fights for greater good? :o.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

ichabod wrote: I'm not contradicting myself at all. Yes I think the whole thing is pointless, considering the money changing hands. It's like the flipping Oscars. But if they are insistent upon going ahead with it, they should at least chose somebody who has contributed to Disney history and really has been a force in the film industry.

I mean when you think of the unnamed people like Ollie Johnstone, Milt Kahl, Woolie Reitherman, Mary Blair, Joe Grant to name just a handful. People who have created characters, directed films, contributed that are still being watched today and inspiring the people of tomorrow.

But because these aren't "names" which people would recognise, Disney thinks "screw it, we'll nominate Tink instead".

What a slap in the face that is. Just shows the money-mad, marketting crazed bodies that run Disney these days for what they are. And shows what complete disregard and lack of respect Disney have for the people who truly should be remembered. But that's nothing new. That's Disney all over these days isnt it, slap some crappy game on DVD rather than make any decent bonus features, slap Mickey Mouse's face on everything from a dog bowl to a leaf blower and then try and pretend that Tinkerbell is an icon of cinema.

Pure bollocks.
It's not that I don't whole-heartedly agree with you that before a fictional character is awarded a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame a real person should be. But I do feel Tinker Bell deserves it since they're giving it to her anyway. I mean, beggers can't be choosers.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Tinker Bell on The Walk Of Fame!

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Tinker Bell has made the Walk Of Fame!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxjV4qKpk8
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Gosh, I remember having a really, really stupid debate (my argument was stupid, mind you) over this with somebody when this was first announced, but that was years ago. I can't believe Tink only just actually got the star.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

The girl playing :tink: is cute :thumb:.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

That's so awesome! I'm thrilled one of my very favorite girls is getting a star! And, yeah, that girl was really cute. I wish they had gotten Sarah Daniels though.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

You know which one is hers, don't you?

Second star to the right, and... Well, you know the rest.

Of course, it is kind of hard to find. The whole thing is only an inch square.

(the above would have been funnier if it was Grauman's Chinese Theatre, where they put footprints in concrete... Tinkerbell would have TINY little feet!) :P
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I wish other bigger Disney stars got their stars. Like the two first heroines, maybe Dumbo, maybe Pinocchio or Bambi. That's it for me actually. Mickey and Tink have them, right, anyone else?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Congrats :tink: !

Enjoy your star along with Mickey, Donald, Snow White, Kermit, Pooh and Disneyland!