Tron Remastered Blu-Ray coming!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Tron Remastered Blu-Ray coming!

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Tron has been announced for Blu-Ray!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5413

"During a recent interview, Tron director Steven Lisberger said that he has just spent six weeks remastering the movie for Blu-ray and performing subtle tweaks. As to the actual release date, Lisberger didn't give any specifics as it is up to the studio, but he said that it would be "sooner rather than later."

Earlier this year, this title had been rumored to be coming out in November, a month ahead of the theatrical release of its sequel Tron Legacy. Now it seems likelier that it will be tied in to the home video release (like the Fantasia 2 Movie Collection and The Sorcerer's Apprentice). "

The tweaks thing worries me. I just hope the theatrical version is included.
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

Well, I'll be purchasing this for sure, because Tron is up there in my list of favorite Disney movies. I love Tron, and I've loved it for years, way before it was brought back to the consciousness of the general public (which still surprises me, lol. So excited and shocked still that its 2010 and we've got a new Tron film coming out.)

I agree over concerns about the 'tweaking' I'll support the blu-ray either way, but really I'd rather see it in all its authentic 80's-ness glory. It could go two ways: "wow that is the best looking version of Tron I've ever seen" or "this just isn't Tron" I worry it might be the latter, but like I said before, I'll have to wait and see which way it'll go, either way it'll be great for my collection.. I love to compare my favorite movies on various formats/releases, heck, I've even got the original puffy clam shell case VHS release of Tron.

Exciting news!
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

Yes! I love Tron. I can understand why they'll wait 'till after Tron Legacy goes to theatres to release this. Wouldn't want to confuse audiences even further.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

read the "tweaks" it's just for color consistancy.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I'm glad they moved the release to co-incide with when TRON Legacy comes to Blu-Ray & DVD. I just hope all the features from the 2002 DVD are carried over, they are quite good.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Finally. Was hoping this would get released before Tron Legacy but oh well.

Hope the "changes" aren't major. If so, they should follow Blade Runner's release.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

The movie's also supposed to have the special effects recomposited, so it'll definitely be looking new, if that's the case. And, if you're going by the animated classics Disney released on Blu, that's exactly what they're going for. Hopefully it'll sell well enough to make sure other live-action movies will get a Blu-ray release.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

This is hardly what I'd call an 'announcement'. I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray, pity it doesn't seem like it's going to get a theatrical rerelease but I've been spoiled with them this year (Metropolis, Back to the Future, The Leopard)
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Supplements starting to get classified now. Hopefully more will be passed next week.

TRON - THE ORIGINAL CLASSIC BONUS
Running time: 25m 15s

00:15:55:10 PHOTO TRONOLOGY
00:09:19:09 THE TRON PHENOMENON

Both were passed again separately but I won't bother listing those. Also, an audio commentary has been passed, but I don't know if it's the same one from the 20th Anniversary Edition DVD (which itself was from the Exclusive Archive Collection laserdisc), or a new one.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Good to see that one of Disney's older live-action films is coming to Blu-Ray, even if it is just to tie in with Tron Legacy. Hopefully we'll also see a few others; Mary Poppins on BD is inevitable, but it'd be great to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and various others on the format too. As for the tweaks being made to the film, as they are subtle (tiny colour differences, perhaps), then I'll be fine. No matter what happens, I doubt we're going to experience what happened with George Lucas and the original Star Wars trilogy. :roll: :p
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Last time I checked, the price on the Tron DVD has skyrocketed recently on Amazon. I am not sure if this will last or not once the Blu-Ray comes out.

I have the DVD of Tron, but I have yet to watch it, and I am not sure if I will see Tron: Legacy in theatres if I watch Tron before it comes out.
LucilleBallFilms
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LucilleBallFilms »

PixarFan2006 wrote:Last time I checked, the price on the Tron DVD has skyrocketed recently on Amazon. I am not sure if this will last or not once the Blu-Ray comes out.
Woah woah woah.. $77.95 to $139.99? That's ridiculous :lol: I'm glad I bought it earlier this year not knowing almost anything besides it's reputation, it of course took my several tries to sit through it :P And it was only $10 when I got it months ago.. What's so special about this DVD to be so darn expensive now :roll:
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

PixarFan2006 wrote:Last time I checked, the price on the Tron DVD has skyrocketed recently on Amazon. I am not sure if this will last or not once the Blu-Ray comes out.

I have the DVD of Tron, but I have yet to watch it, and I am not sure if I will see Tron: Legacy in theatres if I watch Tron before it comes out.
Yeah I saw that last week, sold my copy for $80.
Ioz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ioz »

LucilleBallFilms wrote:
Woah woah woah.. $77.95 to $139.99? That's ridiculous :lol: I'm glad I bought it earlier this year not knowing almost anything besides it's reputation, it of course took my several tries to sit through it :P And it was only $10 when I got it months ago.. What's so special about this DVD to be so darn expensive now :roll:
It is out of print right now. The word is that Disney is afraid that people's reactions to the outdated special effects of the original might hurt the new movie's box office, which is why the original isn't in stores now and probably won't come out again until the new movie hits retail as well.
LucilleBallFilms
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LucilleBallFilms »

Ioz wrote:It is out of print right now. The word is that Disney is afraid that people's reactions to the outdated special effects of the original might hurt the new movie's box office, which is why the original isn't in stores now and probably won't come out again until the new movie hits retail as well.
Ah, makes more sense :P still, over $130 seems a little much for a DVD, even an our-of-print Tron one 8) (Calls myself a lucky ba-word- for finding it for $10) :twisted:
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

The temptation is mighty strong to sell my copy of TRON on DVD right now.... I don't want to sound like I'm taking advantage of buyers looking for this movie, but absolutely no one has it in stock, and the cheapest a used copy of the 2-Disc SE goes for on Amazon is $73.99. I could use that kind of coin for Christmas shopping, and a release of the film on Blu-ray / DVD combo is imminent. What to do, hmm.... :?

Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Cheers,
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

From TheHDRoom.com:

The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Looks pretty cool!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I like the digital border, but that is one atrocious Photoshop job. Am I the only one who frowns upon the title being listed as TRON: The Original Classic? It's like A New Hope all over again. :(

Grumbling about the packaging and marketing aside, I am excited that this one will be coming to Blu-ray. I have my fingers crossed for a late March date for this one and Legacy both. :)

Cheers,
Cheers,
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Notice the 's in Disney's?