What is your favorite movie?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

What is your favorite movie?

Post by PeterPanfan »

I haven't been around the forums as much as I used to be... I occasionally post in the Music, Movies, and TV, Off-Topic, and DVD Discussion forums, but I actually haven't frequented any of the Disney forums since last summer, mainly because I honestly don't feel like catching up with everything.

Still, despite a lot of my favorite members also dwindling down their active-ness, and some full-out leaving the board, UD makes me nostalgic for the beginning of my fascination with the prospect of message boards and the impact they have. Yes, I had been a member of many a forum before I stumbled upon UD, but this was the first one where a sense of community, in all its cheesy and cliche meaning, abounded.

Okay, since I'm done with my apparent preface, I will get to the topic I've just created.

Before Albert posts links to previous threads (does he even do that anymore? :wink:), I did search the archives and I haven't found any that have been recently updated, nor any that I felt where appropriate or relevant enough to my specific question to update myself. Therefore, I made a new one.

I'm asking for you to not post any Disney movies, as I've seen most of them (or rather, all that I'm interested in seeing) countless times.

In exchange for yours, I will recommend you mine:

The Dreamers - Before I watched the movie for the first time last month, I never felt I was apt to answer the typical "Favorite Movie?" question... now I can, easily and willingly, without thought. As well as being one of my first forays into Art House cinema, it was also my first Bernardo Bertolucci film (and this is something I regret... I wish I would have discovered him sooner). The acting is phenomenal. Eva Green is so alluring, so mysterious, sophisticated, and enticing that I find it very hard for ANYONE to dare not feel intoxicated and be reeled into her character of Isabelle. Michael Pitt, who I had only known as Henry from Dawson's Creek was great as Matthew. He was the only character I could see myself slipping into the shoes of, only to a lesser extent. Louis Garell as Theo was so enamoring, and he and Eva played off each other so exquisitely. The cinematography was done so well, and the insert of the film clips in time with the cinema references were a part of what made the film so wonderful. I've already passed my DVD onto many friends (with, of course, a fare warning of its subject matter), and am now recommending it to the members of UD. I will heed a word of caution: this is not for the average American movie-goer. It is, however, a valentine to the hearts of cinephiles who, like Michael, Isabelle, and Theo, can't get enough of the silver screen, and the majestic nature it contains. Set in Paris during the 1968 student riots, is is indeed a love story. It is a romance involving the passion of the cinematic arts, the nature of humans to cling to the kindred spirits of their youth, and the secret worlds we sometimes find ourselves drawn into.

Now, my friends, I ask: "What is your favorite movie?" Please include a description of why you love it, though I am definitely not expecting one as long as mine.

:)
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

That's like asking a father to pick his favorite child... though that may be even less difficult. ;)

Well, the movie that I've seen the most, actually more times than I can count, is Back to the Future (1985). I just never seem to get bored by it. I love the characters, the actors, and the obvious fun they had while shooting the picture! It has so much energy and humor and wonderful inventions... I'm even getting in the mood to watch it as I'm typing this.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: What is your favorite movie?

Post by Escapay »

Panfan wrote:Now, my friends, I ask: "What is your favorite movie?"
DeMille's The Ten Commandments (1956 version). I love just having it on as background noise, and have probably listened to its DVD commentary more times than any other film. It's a rare film that I can just jump right into at any given point, and completely get fully invested in what's happening. I've loved it ever since I was five years old, and doubt that will change anytime soon. I'll likely write more about this next week after the Blu-Ray is released.
Panfan wrote:Before Albert posts links to previous threads (does he even do that anymore? :wink:)
No, I don't. Partly because of the complaints that inevitably follow of "Well, I didn't know!" or "Necro-threading sucks, why do UD mods prefer it?", partly because half the time the threads don't get merged anyway, but mostly because of the simple fact that I just don't care anymore.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Goliath wrote:Well, the movie that I've seen the most, actually more times than I can count, is Back to the Future (1985). I just never seem to get bored by it. I love the characters, the actors, and the obvious fun they had while shooting the picture! It has so much energy and humor and wonderful inventions... I'm even getting in the mood to watch it as I'm typing this.
This is the movie I had in my head while opening this thread, for many of the reasons you've posted. :D In fact I ran a little marathon of the trilogy again not too long ago in order to sort of test drive our new TV. I love the story, the music, the characters, the actors . . . everything really came together there. I've also got so many memories attached to it, since I watched it a million times with family members I no longer have. It always takes me back to being a kid in the mid-80's. :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This is kind of impossible. :( After looking through a few films lists on the Internet...even more impossible. :lol:

There are a lot of films I enjoy, but I usually don't have much emotional attachment to live-action films, to be completely honest. But if I had to think of some, it would be a throw up between Gone With The Wind or Moulin Rouge. A Raisin in the Sun is incredible, too.

Actually, I remember loving Transamerica. I felt it was thought-provoking, sincere, and actually very sweet--besides being astoundingly well-acted by Felicity Huffman and Kevin Zeger. I felt similarly about Beautiful Thing. Other (lesser) favorites: Breakfast On Pluto, Saved!, Hairspray, First Wives Club, American Beauty, The Devil Wears Prada, Nanny McPhee, Pan's Labrynth, Stardust, Poltergeist, and The Exorcist . As for things that make good background noise: Margaret Rutherford in the Murder films (because she's awesome :lol: ).

I tend to forget things though, so I might remember liking something once it's been posted. :oops:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

After writing a few favorites, I figured I'd stick to the thread topic and just post one. :p

Pearl Harbor- I love big historical dramas. I really like the love-triangle plotline. It never fails to entertain me (although, depending on my mood, since it's such a long movie, I'll fast-forward through the FDR stuff...I like the film for the romance and the friendship... :p). I like the friendship between Rafe and Danny, and I like the evolution it takes throughout the movie. I think that it's an interesting character piece- I absolutely love the characters.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

This is almost impossible to answer, but 2 movies that I will absolutely watch anytime I am able are Gone With The Wind and The Sound Of Music...
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Almost impossible to pick a favorite because I own about 6,000 titles, and none of them are garbage (in my opinion).

There are two that don't wander too far from the Blu-ray player and they are That Thing You Do!, the Tom Hanks film about the 60's group The Wonders. Great cast and great story and I lust after Liv Tyler almost every day.

The second one is the original The Day The Earth Stood Still, Michael Rennie made the role of Klaatu his own, and the remake of this film sucked so badly.

But depending on the mood I am in I can watch just about anything at any given time. Being a Disney completist I have all the DAC's and Live Action films available, but I also like the classic films such as The African Queen, The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn version), Casablanca, The Sound of Music, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singing in the Rain, 3:10 to Yuma (again, the original version with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin), and whenever I need a real laugh I will watch Happy Gilmore, it never fails to put a smile on my face.

So you ask for just one favorite film, I am sorry but those that I have listed are among many films that I watch, depending on what kind of genre-mood I am in and whether it's the whole family or just me watching.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Tough question, especially if Disney films can't count, as that eliminates DACs, Walt's live-action, and the Pixar films, and therefore more than half of my all-time favorite movies.

It's also tough to narrow it down to just one, but if I had to, I'm going to go with Babe, aka Babe, the Gallant Pig. It has a heart of gold and moves me every time, and it is also very special to me in that it inspired me to become a vegetarian.

Since others listed multiple favorites, here is a more comprehensive list of some non-Disney favorites, in no particular order (except the first) other than the order in which I thought of them. As one can see, 99% percent of what I watch falls into the categories of "family films", fantasy, musicals, or animal films:

Babe
Babe: Pig In the City
Charlotte's Web (animated)
Charlotte's Web (live action)
The Polar Express
The Wizard Of Oz
The Sound Of Music
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Dr. Dolittle (Leslie Bricusse musical starring Rex Harrison)
My Fair Lady
Around the World In 80 Days (Mike Todd's Oscar-winning version)
Snoopy Come Home
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle On 34th Street (original)
Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas In July
Scrooge (Leslie Bricusse musical)
A Christmas Carol: The Musical (Alan Menken musical)
Muppet Christmas Carol (produced and created by Henson and merely distributed by Disney ;) )
The Muppet Movie
Benji
For the Love Of Benji
Air Bud (Keystone, distributed by Disney)
Flipper
the various Lassie movies
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (theatrical film that predated the series)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Narnia trilogy (first two distributed by Disney)
The first 3 Harry Potters (but only the lighter and happier first three!)

And just for fun, here are a few Disney films that would have headlined the list if Disney were included:

Fave 5 DACs (although I LOVE them all!)
Dumbo
Pinocchio
The Many Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh
The Rescuers
Peter Pan

Live-Action/Animation "Hybrids"
Mary Poppins
So Dear to My Heart
Song Of the South
Pete's Dragon
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Enchanted

Live Action
The Three Lives Of Thomasina
Big Red
Rascal
Pollyanna
Ride a Wild Pony
The Biscuit Eater
The Bears and I

Pixar
Finding Nemo
Cars
Ratatoille
Up
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Last edited by David S. on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Don Bluth's Anastasia. Tense, fun, and beautiful. I like all the characters (Dimitri's smiles are so cute!), songs, and score. The wistful song 'Once Upon a December' quite moves me.
Last edited by Sky Syndrome on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

This is a tough choice. For non-Disney, It would be a three-way tie between:

1.Back to the Future
2.Lord of the Rings Trilogy
3.Star Wars Trilogy
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I can't never decide between My Fair Lady and the Director's Cut of 1776.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

This question comes loaded with possibilities, and it's impossible to pick just one. For a good laugh, I go with Blazing Saddles. In pure entertainment, I look no further than Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future, with Pulp Fiction occasionally working its way into the mix. To be uplifted, I'll watch E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial or The Shawshank Redemption. In recent years, Christopher Nolan has climbed his way up the list as one of my favorite directors, with The Dark Knight and Inception cementing him as one of the greats in my mind.

I guess at the end of the day, my favorite based on emotional impact, repeat viewings and personal taste, I'd say my favorite film is Martin Scorsese's The Departed. What shockingly violent tastes for a prospective elder. :P
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

David S. wrote:It's also tough to narrow it down to just one, but if I had to, I'm going to go with Babe, aka Babe, the Gallant Pig. It has a heart of gold and moves me every time, and it is also very special to me in that it inspired me to become a vegetarian.
Yes! I love Babe, too! I'm also a vegetarian, but I've never considered that Babe could have had a part in it.

My favourite movies are not arthouse films by any stretch of the imagination. I don't study movies or examine the different techniques used to make them. These are just the ones I like best of all, in no order. It's too hard to rate them in order.

My favourites:

- Balto. My favourite non-Disney animated movie. It was my absolute favourite movie until I was eleven, and I have so many good memories of it. After that, I , kind of forgot about it, just watching it maybe two times between age 11 and last week. I watched it a week ago in honour of Iditarod 2011 and found that it hasn't gone down in my estimation. It has beautiful animation and chill-inducing scenes (not from fear, though), and a wonderful score by James Horner. Balto's not perfect, but it's better than many DACs, imo.

- Star Wars Trilogy (the original ones, not the silly prequels). They're just amazingly fun. I've come to love the main characters, and I notice something new with each re-watch. Return of the Jedi is obviously the least quality of the three, but it has its good moments too.

- The Lord of the Rings, but I don't watch them too often, for obvious reasons. :wink:

- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Random sense of humour required. It has perfect sets and costumes, a very cool story, pretty good acting, Jim Carey having way too much fun, and even Meryl Streep as a woman afraid of pretty much everything. It also has a superb score by my favourite film composer, Thomas Newman. If you don't have the right sense of humour for the movie, though, it will seem stupid.

- The Bourne series. They have top-notch acting, exciting, well-staged scenes, exotic locales, and intricate storylines that keep your mind churning the whole way through. Despite the language and one makeout scene, they are actually pretty clean, which is REALLY hard to find in an action movie.

- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. If you love history, ships, or naval warfare, this is a must. Paul Bettany gives a standout performance as the ship's doctor. I still don't understand why he never got any good roles after that one.

- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. It's one of the craziest movies ever made starring the who's who in comedy of the late 50s early 60s. Ethel Merman always steals the show for me, though. When I'm Mrs. Marks' age, I'm gonna get me one of those purses, so I can smack people with it. :D

I think that's pretty much it. *sigh* I love movies.
4th Life of Thomasina
Limited Issue

Post by 4th Life of Thomasina »

My favorite movie will always be Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Just a perfect mix of comedy, soap opera, and RIDICULOUS events; all of which is so insanely fast-edited that it'll make your head spin. Definitely not the best movie I've ever seen, but easily my favorite.
Currently Watching/Playing/Reading:
Video Game: Epic Mickey
TV Series: Star Trek: The Animated Series
Novel: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney's Divinity wrote:There are a lot of films I enjoy, but I usually don't have much emotional attachment to live-action films, to be completely honest. But if I had to think of some [...]
Interesting you should bring that up. Maybe the best measurement of a 'favorite film' is not the amount of times you've watched it, but the emotional attachment you have toward it. Or maybe I should say 'emotional involvement'. If that was a criterium, I would pick:

- The Girl in the Café (2005)

BBC made-for-tv movie that has all the production values of a theatrical film. It tells the touching, heartfelt story of an older British diplomat (Bill Nighy) who meets a beautiful young girl in a café (Kelly MacDonald). They quickly become friends and it's obvious this is not motivated by feelings of lust or sexuality from his side, even though everybody else obviously seems to think so. He invites her to come with him to a G8 meeting in Reykjavik, Iceland. Over there, instead of playing the role of trophy wife, like the others, she starts to question the world leaders about issues of poverty. It's not the political message I care about most in this movie, as you might expect, but it's the relationship between these two very different characters. It's so sincere, so loving, so touching, so heartbreaking. So beautiful.

- Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei (The Edukators) (2004)

A group of idealistic young German leftwing 'radicals' stage all kinds of inventive events to draw publicity from the press. One of the times, this goes wrong and they are forced, against their will, to abduct a wealthy businessman. Hiding in the beautiful surroundings of the mountains, they keep him hostage. But through their discussions and fights, it turns out this man has more in common with them than they would like to admit, and a bondage seems to emerge. Again, I was blown away with the political discussions and was very impressed by them, but it's not the reason I love the film. It's the characters and their inter-relations I like, including the forbidden love between the main character and his best friends's girlfriend. That was built so well, so believable, so sincere. Eventually, it all comes down to the question whether or not people can change, and the film answers it with a surprise twist in a brilliant piece of editing.

- Il Ladro di Bambini (The Stolen Children) (1992)

I was so immersed in it, that I totally forgot about time and everything that happened around me, and I was very sad to see it end. To me, it should've gone on forever. It tells the story of a carabiniere, a police man, who has to escort a young boy and girl (brother and sister) to an orphanage in the south of Italy, after their single mother had been arrested for prostituting her 11 year old daughter. During the route, the young policeman and the children slowly start to develop a bond, and it'ss incredibly sweet to watch this happening. It even comes to a point where the policeman doesn't even want to part from the children anymore, and they don't want to part from him. But he has his orders. He tries to stall their parting as long as possible, by taking all kinds of detours to spend more time with the children. Truly heartbreaking.

- Il y'a longtemps que je t'aime (I Loved You So Long) (2008)

The story of a woman, Juliette (Kristen Scott Thomas) who has been in prison for 15 years and comes back into society and struggles with that, but gets support from her estranged sister, who takes her in, much to the chagrin of her husband. It's soon revealed Juliette has killed her five year old son. The reason why is only explained at the very end of the film and it turns out she had a good reason. But this is the brilliance of the movie: don't tell the reason to the audience at the beginning. That's what a Hollywood production would do, to make the audience immediately identify with the character. This movie asks you to not judge this woman. I didn't. I wasn't repulsed by her or her actions. I just took that as a fact. She's depicted as a very normal, loving woman, not at all like we usually see these women in the media. That was refreshing and probably much more realistic. I loved all the characters. The movie makes it feel as if you're there with them; it's told and filmed that way, which makes it very emotionally involving, at least to me.

*Edited for typo's and grammar
Last edited by Goliath on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

For me, it's a two-part answer.

I believe the greatest film ever made is The Passion of the Christ. This is going to make me sound morbid, but when I watch a film based on the life of Christ, the passion portion is what I'm most interested in seeing depicted. Then along comes Mel Gibson who devotes an entire film to just that act of the gospels. Not only that, but he takes advantage of the film medium in a way few Jesus films do. Most Christ films either go for a documentary approach where they're blandly/amateurishly shot, or they're overproduced to the point where they're more of a moving Bible illustration. The Passion of the Christ manages to strike the right balance between both. The content is brutally realistic and and carries an authentic feel throughout it, but it's presented through a filmmaker's filter that utilizes cinematic techniques like flashbacks and slow motion.

I can think of no other film I've seen with such breathtaking cinematography or as powerful of a score. It always shocks me that this film cost a mere $25 million when I've seen $200 million productions that don't look as convincing. The irony in all of this is that, as I've said before, Christ's passion is the aspect of gospel films I'm most interested in seeing, yet when a film comes around that so artfully depicts it, I suddenly want to see the rest of the story told the same way. I would love for Mel to do a prequel that focuses on Christ's ministry, but given his recent track record, I doubt we'll see anything else from him for a long time.

Now, while The Passion of the Christ I feel is the greatest film ever made, my personal favorite on pure entertainment value alone is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I. I know what you're thinking. It's ridiculous to have a favorite film that's not even a year old. What I should explain first is that the Harry Potter series as a whole are my favorite films. Period. Fantasy has always been and will always be my favorite genre both in literature and on film. For me, Harry Potter exemplifies everything I could want in a story: rich characterization, an interesting and multi-layered plot, action, adventure, romance, comedy, suspense...all bundled up in a fascinatingly realized world with its own set of rules.

Out of all the Harry Potter films released thus far, Deathly Hallows: Part I is the one that I think is the most satisfying both as an adaptation and as a film, and it helps that it's based on what I feel is the strongest volume in the book series. It manages to be faithful to the text while still making changes that best suit the film medium.

Columbus' films were so concerned with fidelity to the novels on a technical standpoint that they came across awkwardly at times, and they also missed some of the atmosphere of the books. Newell's approach satisfied both as an adaptation and as a film, but he shared Columbus' lack of panache, playing things broadly and plainly. Cuaron and Yates brought much needed style and subtlety that allowed their films to work as films, but in the case of Cuaron's and Yates' first outing, they were a little overzealous in streamlining the stories. As a result, Azkaban and Phoenix feel somewhat slight.

Yates learned his lesson, though, and his second outing, Half-Blood Prince, was tremendous. This was the first Harry Potter film that I thought captured the atmosphere of the novels and worked beautifully from all angles. Yates took it even further with Deathly Hallows, delivering what I feel is something dang near close to perfection. So many little moments from the novel made their way on screen, but not at the expense of moving the story along. Unlike Columbus and Newell, Yates doesn't throw everything into the foreground. Instead, like Cuaron, he fills everything (even the background) with information that rewards the viewer on repeat viewings.

He also brought out the best performances from the actors to date. It's astonishing to see how far the main trio's come since their early years, and this is the film where they're finally given some meat to chew on. Considering how high the stakes get during the last third of the novel and how Yates has described the finale as operatic, I wouldn't be surprised to find Deathly Hallows: Part II to be my official favorite film once and for all. People may say it's too soon to make a judgment call like that, but it's really like love at first sight for me. These aren't just some sort of phase, either, as the films have taken my top favorite film spots for a decade now. They really do click with me, and there are precious few other films that garner the same sort of excitement from me (or make 2.5 hours feel like 15 minutes).
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Hmm...normally I'd blurt out King Kong without hesitation, after all it introduced me to classic films, but I've probably watched Back to the Future more than any other film. I've actually watched it back to back and it never tires. How anyone could hate this film I'd never understand. Now if the question was as to what I think the best movie is, I may have to say The Godfather.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

<center><iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fHXy8DpF5k0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>
Killer Klowns from Outer Space. For many, many reasons. Almost too numerous to mention. I'll try to group them together:

<center>Image</center>
1. Amazing monsters - combinations of costumes, animatronics, make-up, and plaster/latex/whatever. These frickin' clowns are SCARY! And you actually can never tell when the camera isn't shooting actors in costumes, because sometimes we're looking at animatronic puppet heads.

<center>Image Image</center>
2. The music score by John Massari is chilling and menacing. It really does feel like icy needles down your back. It reserves the high-pitched notes for after it starts off with a thick, processed kind of sci-fi brooding synth score. And it's such a visual film that you ignore the music at first. Soon, though, you notice it. I did.

3. The klowns' arsenal of weapons, accessories, and tricks. They have elevators! (In three different colors: pink, orange, and green.) They don't just have guns- they have 3 different kinds of guns (a cotton candy gun, a popcorn gun, and a balloon gun). They have cars (an invisible one with headlights and, of course, a Klown Kar that looks small on the outside but it huge on the inside, their spaceship is exactly the same way). They put on puppet shows. More than one different kind. The film has so much imagination, it's awe-inspiring.

4. The fact that to have a movie about what are basically family / children's entertainers gone berserk, the film has to have a consistently colorful look to it. Some of the best horror movies use something like this to excess to help create an atmosphere (hey, if shooting a movie like Saw in some nasty, skanky dirty bathroom counts as atmosphere- this movie's constant amusement park look counts too, though this movie follows in an established tradition: 1977's Suspiria and 1982's Creepshow). Here, this movie uses the things we see as playful and fun to actually signal danger, death, and violence. The film definitely has an effective morbid side.

5. The incredibly dark observational and incidental humor. This movie goes back and forth between scenes from the point of view of the klowns and then the point of view of the victims. Not in terms of - you see it through their eyes. But one moment, you're meant to be scared for the victims. The next, you're indulging in the klowns' sadism and their self-congratulatory glee.

<center>Image</center>
6. The outrageous, almost Tim Burton-like set design and wacky, very awesome visual effects (of course, the filmmakers were The Chiodo Brothers, who did a lot of the effects for Burton's 80's films). This was the ultimate era of low-tech low-budget horror filmmaking.

7. The tone of the film, though it's a kind of loud or obnoxious movie overall, is kind of quiet. At the beginning of the movie- it's late Friday night. And at the very top of the town, in the hills, away from the hot spots where most people are likely to be gathering. The whole film takes place at night. My idea of scary isn't Independence Day or Cloverfield where people are attacked in groups. Why would that scare me?-I never go out anywhere. The whole film looks at potential victims from a distance and gets closer after sort of walking the perimeter at every location (restaurant, streets, stores, etc). I've never seen anything like this in all my years of horror watching. It's like the movie is a little bit afraid of people, or like it's trying to find a way to reinvent the old John Carpenter / Bob Clark trick of looking at people from the point of view of the killer / monster. What I mean to say is that even though the film cuts into public places, the way it observes people is trying to say that the film's threat will be there soon. Announcing itself. The klowns are almost shown to be like an ant invasion- they can climb into and out of cracks, they almost emerge from the shadows like Nosferatu- only the film's in color. Everytime the movie cuts from residents to the streets, it's implying something scary might be happening in the dark alleys. Though- there's a terrifying scene where the klowns invade the main street of the town. They don't just shoot at people in groups (when we get there, we're watching the aftermath). They go into the apartments, kind of like a Nazi invasion, and start throwing the bodies of victims out the windows! To them, they're like truckers packing up their products.

4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Favorite Movie of all time.

This is a 2way tie between Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), and Dear Heart (1964) *WHICH NEEDS TO BE RELEASED ON DVD HELLLOOOO WARNER BROTHERS IT IS A CLASSIC AND NONE OF THIS WARNER ARCHIVE DVD-R CRAPOLLA*

I mean my reasoning for both is entirely explainable if anyone has seen them Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was one of the best films ever made I mean Stanley Kramer the man was a genius the subject matter of the film was very hush hush at the time but he ripped the lid off of the biast and racial bigotry of the time. I myself I am not going to lie have never had a problem with racism I don't care what race you are as long as you abide by the laws of the land my best to you and may you have a wonderful life. As well as in the film Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn they were so adorable together in all of their films and you could always tell the true feelings they had for each other. And through the whole film you got the idea that it would be Spencer Tracy's last film it was obvious he was very ill and the looks he gave Kate through the film as if he was saying goodbye. There little quips back and forth especially at the Hamburger Joint when they go out for some ice cream screamed adorable.

Now we move on to Dear Heart, what can I say it is one of the most beautiful touching films ever. Glenn Ford who was totally underrated and the lovely Geraldine Page who what can I say was one of the most underrated actresses ever her performance in this and Trip to Bountiful were breathtakingly amazing. Not to mention Henry Mancini's song Dear Heart which was written for the film and plays throughout in various variations it has always been one of my favorite songs, one of my comfort songs. Have the mp3 on my cellphone play it frequently when I'm not doing well. Know I'm going into wacky town here but as a manic depressive of most of my life who has been able to deal with it without the aid of medications I'm happy to say. Sometimes you need something just to pull through the day. And the song as well as the whole film are 2 of my best ways of pulling through the dark spots.

In the film Glenn Ford plays an executive a bit of a playboy he meets Geraldine Page a bit of a loner a postmistress who comes to a postmasters conference in NYC they are staying at the same hotel Glenn is about to enter into a farce of a marriage due to an idiotic bet. At first meeting of Ms. Page's character he finds her a bit irritating yet loveable and as the movie goes on he falls in love with her she is simple sweet a bit of a loner but very genuine and loving. And he discovers that the woman he is engaged to is not meant to be at all which i must say showed the multi talented-ness of Angela Lansbury even in her early roles at playing any types of roles in this one pardon the phrase a real b*&(@. Truly an amazing films especially for those that love a good love story it is occasionally shown on TCM I suggest it to anyone.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~