Cars 2 in 2011 and series of Cars shorts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: Cars 2

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:
And by the way Wondy, I don't think Walt Disney would like you referencing Cinderella with the "C word" joke making it a double entendre for one of the most foul words in all of curse words.
I don't think he'd really would give a shit.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyDuster wrote:I didn't hear anyone say that exactly, but it's implied when people think Pixar and Disney are the same thing, because if they are the same thing, that would mean people do think they were founded by the same person, you see.
Maybe it's just me but if I ever heard someone say that they thought Walt Disney had founded Pixar, I would seriously question their intelligence.
DisneyDuster wrote:Since Pixar came onto the scene, has Disney really done better?
I never said Disney had done better but I think a lot of their recent films (The Emperor's New Groove, Treasure Planet, Meet the Robinsons) don't get the recognition that they deserve. Disney obviously wanted to do better otherwise they would not have hired the man who had led Pixar to becoming to most successful animation studio in the world to head animation at the company.
DisneyDuster wrote:Walt Disney did not buy all of Denham's films and sell them as his own like today's Disney heads are doing with Pixar, Walt was basically just losing their lot to shoot his own Disney, not Denham, Disney films.
And Disney haven't bought all of Pixar's films; they had a distribution deal with Pixar that goes back to Toy Story. Disney have had a stake in Pixar's films since the very beginning so why is it a problem now?
DisneyDuster wrote:I actually cannot believe that you said most of Disney's films are inferior to Pixar's. That goes against you being a member here or even having your user name. Frank and Ollie would definately be appalled and ashamed to hear that you said that. You could write any explanation of why you think they wouldn't because it's their animation that's so good or they didn't think the other films were the best but that doesn't mean they wouldn't still be absolutely terribly hurt and think you're wrong for what you said because I think we both know it is most, most likely that they really would
And I can't believe you would be so arrogant as to question why someone is a member on this forum simply because they don't share your narrow-minded views.

As for Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, are you aware they appeared as themselves in The Incredibles and, like others who worked with Walt, had a close relationship with John Lasseter and Pixar? It is not for you to say what they would have thought or criticise someone else for having an opinion. Dr. Frankenollie is not wrong for what he said in the slightest, he is perfectly entitled to prefer Pixar films to Disney's, as you are entitled to believe otherwise. You are not a moderator, you do not own or run this forum so it is not your place to question why anyone is a member here.
DisneyDuster wrote:Anyway, the Pixar films just aren't all that great. Their all re-treads of like the same basic buddy-comedy-get-the-thing structure, Bugs Life, Monsters Inc., and Cars were so forgettable and hardly ever mentioned until the recent sequel discussions and Wall-E had a really poor second half while Ratatouille made no sense
I would have to disagree with you here. Cars isn't brilliant but it's still a very good film and Monsters, Inc. is far from a forgettable film. A Bug's Life seems to have been a little bit forgotten by some film fans but is is nonetheless a fun and entertaining film. And I thought both WALL-E and Ratatouille were brilliant films.
DisneyDuster wrote:And Up was one of the most lackluster all-over-the place things I've ever seen with the guy meeting his childhood hero not stiring up any big feelings like it should have.
Yes it did stir those feelings but then he realised his childhood hero was a psychopath who was hunting the rare bird that Carl and Russell had befriended.
DisneyDuster wrote:And none of these Pixar movies have the Disney magic found in just about every single Disney film. None of them have touched that unique power only found in Disney that feels so wonderful in a way Pixar couldn't make because they're Pixar not Disney. Disney is original and inventive, just applied to classic stories, which means they have a balance themselves of the idea of timeless classics and new creativity, something Pixar doesn't have. And a balance of humor and emotion or being original is not all there is to films, something Pixar people won't understand. The wonderful magical feelings found in Disney films can't be found in other films and if other people, including you, can't feel them, then all it is is a sad shame that shouldn't be. But I say that almost all of Disney's films are far superior to Pixar's films, even if not on some kind of technical levels that for some reason are the only things you can see I guess. A film is much more than a technical crowd pleasing thing.
This just proves how biased you are when it comes to Pixar and Disney. PIXAR DON'T NEED "DISNEY MAGIC" BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT MAKING DISNEY FILMS. Pixar are very original and inventive, to say otherwise is ignoring their history completely. Almost all of Disney's films are far superior to Pixar's? That's laughable when you've labelled the films that have come closest to matching Pixar's success in recent years, Lilo & Stitch and Tangled, as "un-Disney". And of course a film is much more than a "technical crowd pleasing thing"; Disney AND Pixar have proved that in their films.
DisneyDuster wrote:And by the way Wondy, I don't think Walt Disney would like you referencing Cinderella with the "C word" joke making it a double entendre for one of the most foul words in all of curse words.
I won't speak for Wonderlicious here but I didn't take it in that way at all.
DisneyDuster wrote:The_Iceflash, the only reason that you accept Pixar as part of Disney is because the heads of Disney bought Pixar and put their films and characters next to theirs and in the parks. You are basically just following what the current heads of Disney are trying to make happen because they want Pixar's success, even though the heads at Disney said they were going to ignore what the real person who made Disney, Walt Disney, wanted for the Disney company. For shame, man. But Disney and Pixar still have seperate names and identities and are not one another
This shows how condescending and arrogant your argument truly is to dismiss someone's opinion as them being brainwashed by Disney. If The Iceflash accepts Pixar as Disney there is nothing wrong with that, the two have been corporate and creative partners for nearly twenty years or have you conveniently forgotten that? Shame on you Disney Duster for being so dismissive and ignorant of other people's beliefs and opinions because they dare to disagree with your own
We're not going to Guam, are we?
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

ImageImageImage
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

I love the 3D Bluray cover! But the normal Bluray seems kinda lazy to me... I mean, that poster is everywhere.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Oooo sexy. I prefer the simpler cover.

Based on the directors box, looks like there should be 2 blu-ray discs.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I'm surprised to see all the positive comments for the new "Cars" movie here. Everyone on the Imdb boards are bashing on this movie.

However; I loved the first movie despite its flaws and I'm eager to see the sequel tomorrow. I really hope I will like it.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Amazon.com is offering $7 coupons off of the 3D combo and box set. I pre-ordered to 3D combo using the coupon to lock-in the price in case there is nothing better on release day!

Visit each listing on Amazon while logged-in and you will see the option to clip the coupon midway down the page. The discount is applied at checkout.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

If the bonus disc is only in the Boxed set I will be upset. I mean Pirates has had loads of bonus discs all over the place so that feels normal. For cars it just feels rather wrong.

-Skyler
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:If the bonus disc is only in the Boxed set I will be upset.
Don't worry:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6875
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I'll pick up the 3D release for the Special Features disc. Plus I'm sure the coupon will only be good on the 3D release (if there is a coupon).
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I finally saw the movie yesterday and I greatly enjoyed it. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was still a fun and enjoyable movie. Much more emotional and heartfelt than the critics had given credit for. While a few scenes could have been removed, I overall liked the movie and I honestly think it has gotten much more hatred than it deserves.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

There seems to be a lot of interest in the spy genre as this film shows. There are also action spy elements in the Prep and Landing specials and in Bolt (which personally I think that actual show should've been the movie instead of giving a big middle finger to the audience 10 mins in unless you were like me and saw the commercials that clearly showed the beginning being a big F you).

It could be that Cars 2 just wasn't the right outlet to do a spy movie and I think Pixar should've just done an original one altogether. It was really hard to get into vehicles being spies and doing all of these action sequences and even harder to put so much focus on Mater as a sympathetic and central character. He's like Urkel where you're supposed to feel bad even though people have a genuine reason to be angry at him for his doofishness. I don't understand why Sally was so insistent on Lightning inviting Mater to go with him on the tour despite not having anything to contribute to the team. It's all just for pity.

I personally think this should've been a DTV movie NOT titled Cars 2. But Cars something er rather. Releasing this in theaters was a big mistake for the studio's rep.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

jrboy wrote:ImageImageImage
Okay, that disc count is ridiculous when I'll at most be using 6 of them.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyAnimation88, I just came in to say I read and acknowledge all you said, but I still stand by what I said, from Walt nevery buying another studio and depending on their movies, and, okay, so Frank and Ollie like some Pixar stuff, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't be offended if someone with their names as a username said that most of their work is not as good as some other studios' work! And I can ask why a member of a Disney site things Disney's films are so inferior to another's!! Yea, you think I should be ashamed, well, sorry, I'm not, at leats not now. But if Frankenollie is hurt or upset, that I do apoligize, but he hasn't replied.

I thought that in Up, the old guy like just smiled when he saw his childhood hero, and that was it. That wasn't exactly stirring up feelings. And I know Pixar shouldn't make Disney magic, I don't want them to. I am saying that Disney has a magic that makes their films better than any Pixar films, at least up until Chicken Little when they went really downhill. Or maybe Atlantis. After those films a lot of magic felt missing and they were not good as Pixar ones. But the warmth and magic of almost all Disney films even like The Sword in the Stone make them better than Pixar to me. Please leave me that opinion which I hope would be shared by all Disney fans, but if not I'm just surprised and sadly dissapointed.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I'm not going to continue to derail this thread so I will try to make this reply short.
DisneyDuster wrote:After those films a lot of magic felt missing and they were not good as Pixar ones. But the warmth and magic of almost all Disney films even like The Sword in the Stone make them better than Pixar to me. Please leave me that opinion which I hope would be shared by all Disney fans, but if not I'm just surprised and sadly dissapointed.
I've said countless times that you are perfectly entitled to your opinion; I take issue when you present them as indesputable facts.
DisneyDuster wrote:And I can ask why a member of a Disney site things Disney's films are so inferior to another's!! Yea, you think I should be ashamed, well, sorry, I'm not, at leats not now. But if Frankenollie is hurt or upset, that I do apoligize, but he hasn't replied.
What I said was that it is not your place to question or cast aspersions over why someone is a member on this forum because it isn't, as you did here:
DisneyDuster wrote:I actually cannot believe that you said most of Disney's films are inferior to Pixar's. That goes against you being a member here or even having your user name.

It is free to register here, you don't have to be a Disney devotee to do so. You've done this before to other members when they have disagreed with you and I think it is inappropriate.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

What I am reading here is that those who didn't like the first "Cars" movie are slamming the second one. That is not fair
I know, right? That's the same impression that I have. Its not fair at all.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
What I am reading here is that those who didn't like the first "Cars" movie are slamming the second one. That is not fair
I know, right? That's the same impression that I have. Its not fair at all.

Anyway the first Time I watched Cars....I wasn't overly impressed....but i wasn't dissatisfied with the movie either. But in time it's grown on me and I like Cars...and Cars 2 was very interesting.....I just hope there isn't a continuitive think such as in the next movie Car's go to congress or go dive down to the ocean to find the sick Titanic
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyAnimation88, yea, but when I said "goes against" I mean it seems very strangely against the logic of being a member here and with that name. If you thought it was too bad, well sorry, but I would only really apologize if it upset the guy and he hasn't replied.
JEANYLASER
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JEANYLASER »

I can't to buy a dvd of Cars 2!
JEANY SANCHEZ
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Duster wrote:DisneyAnimation88, yea, but when I said "goes against" I mean it seems very strangely against the logic of being a member here and with that name. If you thought it was too bad, well sorry, but I would only really apologize if it upset the guy and he hasn't replied.
Disney has 51 animated films, so it's only inevitable that a few duds crop up for everyone, depending on the individual, and the one thing that most people would agree on with this issue is that whatever duds they chose-and even thirty or so not duds-Pixar's few films have topped. Only the best of the best have really held their ground against them, such as Pinnocchio, Fantasia, Beauty and the Beast, etc. but not the likes of the Rescuers or Black Cauldron.

Being a Disney fan only means we have to love Disney, but it doesnt mean we cant love other things. Plenty of(hardcore) Disney fans might not even have Disney films in the top 3 favorites of all time.