Disney prepping movie based on Matterhorn ride

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Disney prepping movie based on Matterhorn ride

Post by milojthatch »

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - As its fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" film races to the billion-dollar mark at the worldwide box office, Disney is developing an adventure movie based on another theme-park attraction.

This time it's the Matterhorn rollercoaster ride, also known as the Matterhorn Bobsleds, which has been part of Disneyland's Fantasyland section since 1959.

The studio has hired Jason Dean Hall to write a script for the project, which has a working title of "The Hill." The idea is to do a thrilling, fast-paced movie centering on five young adventure seekers who, for mysterious reasons, are called to the top of the mountain and encounter a Yetis on the journey down.

The Matterhorn ride was inspired by Walt Disney's desire for a toboggan-themed roller coaster as well as thoughts he had after an extended trip to Switzerland, the site of the famed mountain. The ride, a centerpiece of the park, was refurbished in 1978, with one of the upgrades being the addition of three automatronic Abominable Snowmen (a.k.a. Yetis) who growl at riders.

Adapting Disney rides into film franchises is clearly a priority for the company. "Pirates of the Caribbean" is the most successful of the rides-turned-movies, generating $3.7 billion worldwide over four films. A movie was made out of the Haunted Mansion, and another is being developed with Guillermo del Toro producing. "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was a Disney film, then a theme park ride, and is now being rebooted as a David Fincher directing vehicle. The ultimate theme park movie might be "Disney's Magic Kingdom," which is set entirely in the park. That project is being developed by writer Michael Chabon and director Jon Favreau.

Hall is best known for writing the 2009 indie drama "Spread," starring Ashton Kutcher and Anne Heche. But he has worked on action-oriented projects that are in various development stages, notably "Robin Hood 2058," set up at Warners, "Grand Theft Auto," and sci-fi actioner "Blacklight."
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reu ... de-reuters
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Hmm, I love Third Man on the Mountain, and the Matterhorn, so this is exciting. I see they are taking a different, more action-based/yeti packed route than TMotM did, I guess crowds today don't really appreciate that charm, calming aspect of movies like TMotM had anymore. Well, I guess thats been known for awhile. I guess I feel like the matterhorn already has a top-notch movie (at least to me), and a remake (not a sequel) just seems like extra. But I am still excited none-the-less.

Oh, and what type of name is The Hill? I guess its okay, but it sounded more like a horror movie title to me at first..
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I was expecting a film based on Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom to eventually be made but there are obviously a lot of similarities with the Matterhorn so I don't think it will happen now. The concept is a good one and it's definitely a good choice of ride to adapt to a film so hopefully the finished product will be a good one.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
carlossilva

Post by carlossilva »

:idea: Hey, They could do a movie based on Splash Mountain !!! :idea:

Oh, wait...
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

carlossilva wrote::idea: Hey, They could do a movie based on Splash Mountain !!! :idea:

Oh, wait...
LOL! Maybe one day Disney will willing to share said film with new generations. One can dream...

I'm not sure what to think about a "Matterhorn" film, but I do think it should be called "The Matterhorn." 'The Hill" is a dumb title...
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yeah, I thought that prospect was promising but when I came to that title I was like, "Wha??"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

^^ Ya, I know, huh?

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Yeah, I thought that prospect was promising but when I came to that title I was like, "Wha??"
At this point I'm surprised the word The is in the title given the geniuses at Disney Marketing of the 21st century :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

There already is "The Hill"! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2ojlPfJN0

Very funny spoof of "The Hills", done by UCLA students! :)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

monorail91 wrote:There already is "The Hill"! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k2ojlPfJN0

Very funny spoof of "The Hills", done by UCLA students! :)
When I hear the Name The Hills I think of some horror movie....I checked and it was Wes Cravens The Hill Have Eyes....never seen the movie, don't care to,
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

It could be good. Many probably know I'm not a big fan of the Pirates franchise, but I did really like the first movie. Maybe this will be comparable.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Brian Beletic to helm film based on Disneyland's Matterhorn

Post by Loomis »

Not sure if to put this in parks or films, so I chose both!

Disney had already announced plans to make a film based on their Disneyland theme park attraction Matterhorn, and now Deadline has announced that they have hired commercial director Brian Beletic to make his feature debut on the picture. It is simply known as the "Untiled Explorers Project" while in development

http://www.thereelbits.com/2012/01/07/b ... atterhorn/
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Brian Beletic to helm film based on Disneyland's Matterhorn

Post by Loomis »

Not sure if to put this in parks or films, so I chose both!

Disney had already announced plans to make a film based on their Disneyland theme park attraction Matterhorn, and now Deadline has announced that they have hired commercial director Brian Beletic to make his feature debut on the picture. It is simply known as the "Untiled Explorers Project" while in development

http://www.thereelbits.com/2012/01/07/b ... atterhorn/
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

This seems like a stupid idea/movie and I'm not interested at all at this point, but then again - who knew Pirates of the Caribbean would turn out to be such a hit?

Brian Beletic to Direct Disney’s Matterhorn Movie
http://collider.com/brian-beletic-matte ... ie/135764/
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I always thought that the Matterhorn film was supposed to be Third Man on the Mountain. Guess it's been long enough for a reboot?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Writer Ehren Kruger, whose recent work includes "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" and "Scream 4", has been tapped to work on Disney’s untitled explorers movie project. First-time feature director Brian Beletic is attached to helm the film, whose first draft was written by Jason Dean Hall. Justin Springer is producing the project.

The story centers on five young adventure seekers -- an action sports guy, travel guide, cartographer, archeologist and escape artist -- who venture into the Alps for mysterious reasons and face Yetis that guard a secret. The project formerly was associated with the Matterhorn ride at Disneyland but its scope has since been broadened.

The studio is hoping to keep part of the movie grounded in hardcore adventuring and has brought on Brain Farm Cinema, the boutique production house that is known for filming extreme sports, as production consultants.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... tic-293843
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

An action sports guy, travel guide, cartographer, archeologist and escape artist walk into a bar...

:huh:
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I wonder if this guy'll be in it:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DSAeyAV85UM" frameborder="0"></iframe>
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney prepping movie based on Matterhorn ride

Post by Sotiris »

When the Disneyland Resort opens on April 30th, the iconic snow-capped Matterhorn Bobsleds will remain closed for refurbishment. We can now report that the bobsled ride’s facelift is not the only Matterhorn project Disney is planning to reveal in the near future.

According to our sources, the Walt Disney Company is developing a feature film for Disney+ based on the Matterhorn Bobsleds. The working title for the project is The Hill and Disney is currently in talks with writers for the film. This project has been in early development limbo for over a decade, but we can now report that the feature film is being developed for Disney’s flagship streaming service, Disney Plus.

This leads to an important question, why now? If this project has been lingering for 10+ years, what sparked this renewed interest in a film based on a park attraction? According to sources, Disney was overwhelmed by the extremely positive feedback focus groups gave the upcoming Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt action comedy Jungle Cruise. While Disney was confident the film would be well-received, the test audiences confirmed that they have a potential blockbuster franchise on their hands. This has reenergized the Matterhorn project for Disney, as both films will be based on a Disneyland attraction.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2021/04/22/ex ... or-disney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage