Frozen (formerly The Snow Queen) - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

Well, i dunno Disney Duster. Never cared about that beautiful hymn precisely. There are so many spiritual symbols in the original tale. It's a story about Evil against Good, roses versus ice flowers, spring against winter, Devil against God angels, child innocence against cold... I wish they could use all those wonderful symbols... BUT
Clearly Disney focuses on the snow queen character, trying to explain us where she comes from, why she became the snow queen, who she is, creating a whole fascinating background : Elsa, her royal family, her secret, her destiny, her sister, her exile, and how she became cold and stark...
I guess Disney scenarists have been stuck for a very long time because of the two children friends theme, and the male figure (kay) being trapped and inactive during the whole story.
So they decide to make the girl and the boy meet DURING the travel.
They change the "girl saves boy" quest for something more ambitious and original : the girl wants to save the whole kingdom from destruction now, and the snow queen herself, because it's her sister. Here are all the new symbols, plus the emotional sister stuff, the accepting who you are theme, and the power of love bringing you back to your family, etc... Those themes are enough. We won't have the God and Angels themes, too abstract. But i still hope we will have some roses, somes gipsies or even that blasted mirror, maybe in Elsa's palace (like a Ursula crystal ball or Beast window open to the outside world ?) ;-)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok. You're right Disney wouldn't use those religious symbols like that. I was just wondering if the message of the hymn would be used, if the message itself wasn't religious.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In France the movie will be called 'Frozen: La Reine des Neiges' which translates to 'Frozen: The Snow Queen'.

Source: Disney Central Plaza

What an odd choice. What's the point of having both titles?
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

September 27, 2012
What [Idina Menzel] is also excited about is having a role in the new Disney animated feature "Frozen," which she is currently fitting into her busy schedule.

"I was working on a song yesterday that was written for my character. I love the project. It is really such a big deal for me. It’s a landmark in my career to be in a Disney animated movie. My son won’t be old enough to really kind of get it, but he will eventually. And being someone that loves to work in a recording studio, I just love the whole process. It’s an art form that I love - being in front of that mike, working in a studio, not worrying what you look like it."

Has she seen her animated character?

"Yes," she said laughing. "It’s wild, but I haven’t seen that much of it. They keep playing with it. I’m not sure it will resemble me, if at all. It’s just so cool. And to be involved in it from the early on, is such an honor to watch these genius guys come up with these ideas and to see them work."
Source: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/entertainme ... g_gravity_
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

Well, we're September the 30th and we still have nothing for our ears and eyes, but in a way, i love that moment, so perfectly empty, where all is possible, all can be imagined, because all what can happen from now on is revelations, and the following days are going to be amazing... Do u realize all what is waiting for us ? 

- first official logo
- voice cast of Kristoff, Olaf, Sven
- official picture of characters
- first official picture of the ice palace
- revelation of other characters
- first tunes of the soundtrack, maybe snippet of a song
- first teaser with the atmosphere Disney marketing chooses (Narnia type ? Ice Age type ? )
- first whole trailer

Ralph will be on screen in only ONE month, so, Frozen things are surely going to bloom here and there during the next weeks ! Keep calm and wired and full of hope !  Get your ears and eyes ready and don't let 'em be deceived !
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:In France the movie will be called 'Frozen: La Reine des Neiges' which translates to 'Frozen: The Snow Queen'.

Source: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... embre-2013

What an odd choice. What's the point of having both titles?
It only sounds weird because the English title precedes the French one. Glacée: La Reine des neiges or Congelée: La Reine des neiges rolls of the tongue much better. I must admit that's not a bad logic behind titling a movie (single-word adjective + subtitle), something I feel could have been used for other Disney titles as well. That way, Disney could have its cake and eat it too. Just imagine: Tangled: The Story of Rapunzel, Frozen: The Snow Queen.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

France to the rescue once more!

Apparently, they are not that worried that they'll frighten male audiences in France. France and Germany did the same with Tangled (Raiponce + Rapunzel)

I hope they do something similar over here.. I didn't particularly like that they didn't translate Brave's name and Frozen in Greek (as-is) would sound stupid.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is not the first time overseas territories kept both the 'hip' new title and the original one.
Russia: Рапунцель - Запутанная история

Italy: Rapunzel - L'intreccio della torre

Germany: Rapunzel - Neu verföhnt

Also for Brave some countries kept the English title along with a translation of the title in their language.
Portugal: Brave - Indomável

Italy: Ribelle - The Brave
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Am I the only one not really bothered by the title changed anymore since the plot of this movie has gone waaaay off the course from the original source material that it barely qualifies to be a Snow Queen adaptation? At least Tangled was mostly Rapunzel with minor changes.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Disney movies have been going way off course from the source material for decades, since The Jungle Book at least.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Time will tell whether these changes are good or not. Not all changes are for the better (Exhibit A: Chicken Little). That said, unless WIR tanks, I’m sure this film will do well commercially. Fairy tales are in right now and Disney seems to be at the start of a successful streak. Besides, sacrificing the title shows Disney is not going to let this fail.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

qindarka wrote:Disney movies have been going way off course from the source material for decades, since The Jungle Book at least.
Oh yes, we saw many, many beautiful and clever changes, switching and new ideas in all their adaptations... and that's why we love their versions (Howard and Greno did such a fabulous job with Rapunzel, just exchanging the lovers social origins, just changing the lettuce into a flower, explaining us why the girl's hair is so long and why the witch locks her, and just imagining what happens when she leaves the tower)

But we NEVER, NEVER saw such changes, that's Huge and Historical ! The plot is totally changed, it's another story now, the family story of the snow queen, far apart little Kay and little Gerda episod. For the first time, they use nothing from the original material ( but the palace, the snow queen and the reindeer, and the icy journey theme). Characters disappear, change names (even the very famous popular names every one knows and loves (Kay, Gerda...)), some are replaced or exchanged. I realize they decently can't name the movie "The Snow Queen", in any language.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

At the very least, I think Frozen will share thematic similarities with The Snow Queen (minus the religious aspects) which is more than can be said about movies such as The Little Mermaid and Aladdin.
Disney's Divinity

I don't consider the changes to Mermaid or Aladdin drastic, or even unreasonable for a Disney film. Whereas The Snow Queen tale nearly doesn't exist now in Disney's version. They could have just as easily have said this was an adapatation of Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe for all the changes they make. :lol:

The Jungle Book comparison was better-made.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

They are all equally unfaithful, really. The Little Mermaid and Aladdin may share some names and events from their source materials but their stories and messages are drastically different.

Not that this is a bad thing. Aladdin the movie is far, far superior to the original story.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

toonaspie wrote:Am I the only one not really bothered by the title changed anymore since the plot of this movie has gone waaaay off the course from the original source material that it barely qualifies to be a Snow Queen adaptation? At least Tangled was mostly Rapunzel with minor changes.
Yeah, that was my initial thought to.

The film is virtually an original story, to call it The Snow Queen would almost mislead fans of the Anderson tale.
Disney's Divinity

qindarka wrote:They are all equally unfaithful, really.
Not really.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
qindarka wrote:They are all equally unfaithful, really.
Not really.
Agree to disagree then. Can't really go any further now.
Disney's Divinity

:lol:

But, like Edthehyena, I wonder when anything substantial will be released. I feel like we got a lot more concept art for TP&TF and Tangled at this point. Not that it matters, but I'm curious what Elsa will look like.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The first images are finally here!

Concept art (& puppet) of Olaf:

Storyboard of Elsa and Anna:

Source http://disney.go.com/disneyinsider/gall ... tination-d