Disney's First Hispanic Princess?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I love when Europeans speak another language. It is very cool to hear their accents. :)
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Bet you won't find mine cool. English with a Maltese accent sounds ... weird. :cry:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well those Miss Universes still look more Puerto Rican than Sophia.

thelittleursual, Rapunzel was planned to be an official princess all along.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:Well those Miss Universes still look more Puerto Rican than Sophia.
yeah it's not so much the skin color as in the characteristic features on the the person that you can tell what ethnicity they are. Sofina's facial features look the standard northern Caucasian girl you always associate with.

but in all honestly, who cares. There's black villager in the European-ish kingdom even.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

toonaspie wrote:
Sophia looks nowhere close to Hispanic. Blue-eyed Hispanics are a rarity plus the hair and skin color are too bright for her to even be considered part-Hispanic.
You should actually know what you're talking about before you open your mouth. I guess my blond blue eyed pale Mexican family are not Mexican, or Hispanic in that matter. Please tell me how LATINOS should look like, since you're clearly an expert. Why don't you leave your little computer and actually visit Latin America, and then you'll realize that Hispanic is not a RACE.

:)
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Maerj wrote:I've been against the notion that Disney HAS to make a Princess of every ethnicity. Even if you were Hispanic, in this case, why would you want a token Princess?

I'd rather see great stories than pandering to some politically correct notion. Tell a great story that is based on a legend or fairy tale in Hispanic culture rather than just trying to push the ethnicity of a character. Know what I mean?

Do some research, get really into the culture and produce something that's authentic.
This.

Sorry folks for the mix-up.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Lorddh wrote:
toonaspie wrote:
Sophia looks nowhere close to Hispanic. Blue-eyed Hispanics are a rarity plus the hair and skin color are too bright for her to even be considered part-Hispanic.
You should actually know what you're talking about before you open your mouth. I guess my blond blue eyed pale Mexican family are not Mexican, or Hispanic in that matter. Please tell me how LATINOS should look like, since you're clearly an expert. Why don't you leave your little computer and actually visit Latin America, and then you'll realize that Hispanic is not a RACE.

I was not trying to offend you. But I still think that Sophia has very little resemblance to her mom for the connection to actually fit. If her biological father was in fact Caucasian with blue eyes then it's possible she might have inherited more of her father's looks. I think that Sophia might have been intended to be a standard western-world caucasian when the show was originally conceived and the character designed. It's quite possible that the decision to make her and her mom hispanic were a recent thing. This show has been in production for quite some time.

And sorry if I got the terms "latino" and "hispanic" mixed up with one another. I'm well aware of the difference between race and ethnicity. But I was including genetics as a factor in my argument here.
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

toonaspie wrote:
Lorddh wrote: You should actually know what you're talking about before you open your mouth. I guess my blond blue eyed pale Mexican family are not Mexican, or Hispanic in that matter. Please tell me how LATINOS should look like, since you're clearly an expert. Why don't you leave your little computer and actually visit Latin America, and then you'll realize that Hispanic is not a RACE.

I was not trying to offend you. But I still think that Sophia has very little resemblance to her mom for the connection to actually fit. If her biological father was in fact Caucasian with blue eyes then it's possible she might have inherited more of her father's looks. I think that Sophia might have been intended to be a standard western-world caucasian when the show was originally conceived and the character designed. It's quite possible that the decision to make her and her mom hispanic were a recent thing. This show has been in production for quite some time.

And sorry if I got the terms "latino" and "hispanic" mixed up with one another. I'm well aware of the difference between race and ethnicity. But I was including genetics as a factor in my argument here.
This is not about mixing Hispanic and Latino, LOL. This is about you making ignorant comments. As if you know the genetic make up of Hispanics/Latinos. Latin America is a melting pot. Wether you like it or not, Europeans didn't just immigrate to the USA.
According to what you say, I'm not Caucasian, forget my French, Italian and Spanish European ancestry.
Caucasian = race
Hispanic/Latino = ethnicity, regardless of race.
Mexican = nationality, regardless of race and ethnicity
The reason why people are making a big problem, is the fact that she's not your stereotypical Hispanic, like Hollywood likes to install.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

People need to set aside the argument of whether Sofia looks Hispanic or not. The most important aspect to criticize here is that her culture is not represented at all. She might as well be Caucasian. No one would be able to tell. The series takes place in two fictional kingdoms that look generic centro-European and there are no references to her heritage, language or race. She's also voiced by a Caucasian actress. Disney admitted that there will not be any references in the show that will identify Sofia as Hispanic. Isn't that problematic?

In fact, if Disney hadn't said that she was Latina in the press, no one would have guessed it despite that two trailers and a couple of clips have already been released. The series as well as its marketing campaign has not only downplayed the fact she's Latina, but hasn't acknowledged it at all.
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

Sotiris wrote:People need to set aside the argument of whether Sofia looks Hispanic or not. The most important aspect to criticize here is that her culture is not represented at all. She might as well be Caucasian. No one would be able to tell. The series takes place in two fictional kingdoms that look generic centro-European and there are no references to her heritage, language or race. She's also voiced by a Caucasian actress. Disney admitted that there will not be any references in the show that will identify Sofia as Hispanic. Isn't that problematic?

In fact, if Disney hadn't said that she was Latina in the press, no one would have guessed it despite that two trailers and a couple of clips have already been released.
Right. Because apparently Caucasians all have the same culture, regardless of country and area. And apparently, an anglo-american is more European than a Latin American, lets forget history that latin america was colonized by European countries, but I guess they don't count. Ignorance.

Cinderella is French and they made her English, but that's okay, right? Cause according to you, they have the same culture.

If they want to make her a Latina, by all means, make her. I gladly welcome it. About time they take us into account.

The only people making a problem about this, ARE those who aren't LATINO.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lorddh wrote:Because apparently Caucasians all have the same culture, regardless of country and area. [...] Cinderella is French and they made her English, but that's okay, right? Cause according to you, they have the same culture.
It's not according to me. That's how Disney has been treating their Caucasian princesses. I didn't say I agree with that. Besides Beauty and the Beast which explicitly takes place in France, all others are set in generic European locations with no references to a specific country or nationality and treated as if they share the same culture.
Lorddh wrote:The only people making a problem about this, ARE those who aren't LATINO.
You are wrong. Many Latinos including organizations like the National Hispanic Media Coalition, the National Council of La Raza, and the Mexican Heritage Corporation have expressed their concerns and displeasure about this matter.
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

Sotiris wrote:
Lorddh wrote:Because apparently Caucasians all have the same culture, regardless of country and area.
Cinderella is French and they made her English, but that's okay, right? Cause according to you, they have the same culture.
It's not according to me. That's how Disney has been treating their Caucasian princesses. I didn't say I agree with that. Besides Beauty and the Beast which explicitly takes place in France, all others are set in generic European locations with no references to a specific country or nationality and treated as if they share the same culture.
The only people making a problem about this, ARE those who aren't LATINO.
You are wrong. Many Latinos including organizations like the 'National Hispanic Media Coalition' and 'La Raza' have expressed their concerns and displeasure about this matter.
Oh, and that means they speak for everyone? Haha people always find something to complain and bark about. If it's not this it's that. Same thing happened with Aladdin, according to the Arabs, they didnt look Arab enough. To be honest, I always thought jasmin and Aladdin were Hispanic, haha

Anyway, my point is that I'm glad Disney didn't enforce the stereotype Hollywood likes to feed to ignorant people. Then you have these ignorant people telling us how we, Hispanics, should look like.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

But this is not just about how Sofia looks physically. It's about Disney not acknowledging she's Latina in any way within the show itself.
Want2beBelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Want2beBelle »

I wish they gave the spanish community and actual classic movie for the "first" spanish princess like Tiana got :roll:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well one way to strart recognizing her as Latina would be to make her look more like most Latinas. The reason its a problem is I believe they designed her to be white first and slapped Latina on, and also because it says princesses should have the same look (most of the Disney princesses all have the same white look).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

After all the controversy and discussion, Disney said Sofia is not Latina after all. :roll:

Her mother, Miranda, comes from the fictional land of Galdiz inspired by Spain, her biological father, Birk Balthazar, is from the fictional land of Freezenberg inspired by Scandinavia, and Sofia was born and raised in Enchancia, a fictional kingdom inspired by the British Isles.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Okay, now lets bitch how she doesn't look a Freezenberger, Galdizian, & Enchancian.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

What horrible, stupid names for fictional kingdoms. :P
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I'm so glad I only care about the Disney classics.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

carolinakid wrote:I'm so glad I only care about the Disney classics.
Same. Don't think this will be good for the company's image and the reputation of Disney's 'princess movies', though.