Secret Santa 2012

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Secret Santa 2012

Post by reyquila »

Am I the only one looking forward to it?
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I am but haventbheardvanything yet
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I'm Big time looking forward to it each and every year :D
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am seriously doubting it will be happening this year. Luke usually starts the signup at the start of November. Unless he forgot, it looks like this will be our first year without a Secret Santa. I was also looking forward to it too so don't call me pessimistic. It was just a thought.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Yeah thats what i was thinking. Id still like to do it. Hope he isnt on the east coast.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Ohh no! I was looking forward to it this year. Stupid Sandy! :(
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I'm moving this to feedback, where Luke will have a better chance of seeing this thread.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Has anyone been in contact with Luke? :?

Luke is very dedicated on here and I know he wouldn't want Secret Santa not to happen. I pray he is ok.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

He is still reviewing DVDs and Blu-Rays on the site, so I guess he is still okay.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

PixarFan2006 wrote:He is still reviewing DVDs and Blu-Rays on the site, so I guess he is still okay.
Oh yeah lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot all about that. hahaha.

So why no Secret Santa this year? :?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Hi all,

I decided not to do Secret Santa this year for a number of reasons. High among them is the fact that I haven't been an active member of this forum and therefore I don't think it would be fair for me to determine who is. Also, like many others, this time of year is very busy for me, in single-handedly covering as many major new DVD and Blu-ray releases as I can while staying on top of the screenings and screeners for my work as a critic and being qualified to be an informed voter for year-end awards. There's simply no way I can do Secret Santa justice with everything else I'm trying to juggle in an effort to reverse the site's never recovered, still dropping revenues that fell with last year's horrific Google penalty and did not return with the traffic increase.

Running Secret Santa for the past nine has been one of my favorite things about both the site and forum. I am sad not to have a place for it in my life this year. I appreciate the interest and am not opposed to trying to make this work again in the future. But I need to take at least this year off. Hopefully you can understand.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Luke,

I 100% understand. That Google Hell thing was very stressful. Also you make this forum and site tick, and thanks to you, I have many friends and for that I thank you.

My Christmas Gift this year, is having many friends on this site including you. Take this year off, and Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas :santa:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Luke wrote:I'm trying to juggle in an effort to reverse the site's never recovered, still dropping revenues that fell with last year's horrific Google penalty and did not return with the traffic increase.
That's odd. So the site's traffic has increased but the revenues are still dropping? :?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

Sotiris, I think I can answer this one ^ for you. Just because the number of site visitors has increased doesn't mean people are clicking on the ads or clicking on the Amazon links like they once did. Without those clicks, the revenue that would have been generated for the site doesn't exist. It is the little things that add up in the long run.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

CJ wrote:Just because the number of site visitors has increased doesn't mean people are clicking on the ads or clicking on the Amazon links like they once did. Without those clicks, the revenue that would have been generated for the site doesn't exist. It is the little things that add up in the long run.
So, the ad system on the site is click-based instead of view-based? We should then get the word out and remind members here to click on the ads.
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I'm not 100% sure on how the ads work, I'm not sure which system UD is set up for. But I do know clicking on the Amazon links to purchase something is important to this site's revenue. Every time one of the Amazon links are used to purchase an item, this site is given a small referral revenue for the order. You'd have to ask Luke directly about the how the ad system works for this site, but I know for other sites that I visit, it is the clicking that counts.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

With ads, it's a mix of views and clicks. Fraudulent clicks are very bad and could get a site booted from an ads program. So obviously, please don't do that. Of course, ignoring ads outright is bad too, which is what the majority of readers everywhere do.

Amazon gives a small percentage of orders through the links. To give you some perspective, this month's earnings on Amazon are at 25% of what they were two years ago in the same period, shortly before the Google penalty struck. Traffic isn't quite what it was then, but it's around 75% or more, so there is real disparity. Home video spending is down, but not to that extent, and remember that anything bought from Amazon qualifies for a referral. This site is obviously a labor of love, but as you can imagine working harder than ever for 25% of your former income is not fun or really sustainable in any way.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's too bad Luke. Is there something we could do?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I have been buying things through Amazon lately. I'll try to go through UD when possible from now on. Of course, I know that doesn't automatically solves the site's problem, but it can't hurt either. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

:(
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view