The Lost Chords. Will Disney do more?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

The Lost Chords. Will Disney do more?

Post by PatrickvD »

Edit: I totally made this thread already :lol:

thread

Anyway, I was hoping Disney would do a Lost Chords release of 101 Dalmatians.
Last edited by PatrickvD on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Patrick, you made a thread about this before. You must really love that song. :lol:

It's very catchy, I'll admit. :wink:

As for Disney's 'Lost Chords', it's entirely possible they'll release one for 101 Dalmatians when the Blu-ray debuts in North America. Just don't get your hopes up. Disney is notorious for being inconsistent and lacking a release strategy when it comes to these things.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:Patrick, you made a thread about this before. You must really love that song. :lol:

It's very catchy, I'll admit. :wink:

As for Disney's 'Lost Chords', it's entirely possible they'll release one for 101 Dalmatians when the Blu-ray debuts in North America. Just don't get your hopes up. Disney is notorious for being inconsistent and lacking a release strategy when it comes to these things.
Am I THAT demented? My God... I had forgotten. :lol:

Those Lost Chords made me think of it. And yes, that song is just SO catchy. haha.

Oh and I also found out the other day that there is a longer version of the opening song in The Sword in the Stone:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ohkaSP_-ues" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I think there were a bunch of deleted songs for that film as well. But then again, Disney doesn't really care about that film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:I think there were a bunch of deleted songs for that film as well. But then again, Disney doesn't really care about that film.
I also recall that Robin Hood had deleted songs that never made it to DVD. Disney doesn't care about most of their films. Only the 8-10 films they deem as most popular.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

PatrickvD wrote:I think there were a bunch of deleted songs for that film as well. But then again, Disney doesn't really care about that film.
I would LOVE a Lost Chords for The Sword in the Stone! omg Sucks they don't give a crap about it except for TV filler. :x Did they release a CD or even a cassette for the film? :( You would think a company as big as Disney would at least do the bare minimum for all their films.

Other Lost Chords I would like: Alice In Wonderland, The Emperor’s New Groove, Snow White, and Aladdin. Maybe even Mary Poppins and Jungle Book as well? Did Pinocchio many cut songs? I still don't own a lot of Disney albums (I have a few, though I have to re-buy several I only had as cassettes back when), and this would totally give me a reason to buy these ones I'm missing.

(In my dreams, I would something similar to this with Mermaid, having the Benson, Carroll, and Wright giving versions of songs from the musical. Never gonna happen. :P )
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I would LOVE a Lost Chords for The Sword in the Stone! omg Sucks they don't give a crap about it except for TV filler. :x Did they release a CD or even a cassette for the film?
At the time of its release, Sword in the Stone was a big deal. It had at least 2 seperate soundtrack albums released indluding a Storyteller album where the entire cast reunited for newly recorded dialogue. There were also several 45 singles that were released as well. Unfortunately there have been no CD or tape or digital downloads for the soundtrack to this film. There is rumor that Walt Disney Records is considering a release of this Oscar winning score through Intrada's niche label (a la The Black Cauldron). ::fingers crossed:: - ::and don't miss out on their newly released Disney score to 'Condorman'::

As far as Lost Chords go, the only cut song I know of from S&TS is "Magic Key". It is available on the Gold Collection DVD. There were many songs that had extra verses written (often they would be written after the film was released for popular music recordings). 'Portabello Road' had at least 2 extra verses written for the sheet music and 1 extra one for the soundtrack ablum from Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

For a pretty thorough list of Lost Chords, I suggest you check out the books that these new albums are based off of:

Lost Chords Volume 1
Lost Chords Volume 2

They include all the music and lyrics to songs cut from Snow White all the way through Hercules (including unreleased films such as The Country Mouse, Mickey Columbus, The Rainbow Road to Oz, and Chanticleer). Though very thorough and jam packed with goodies, the book doesn't claim to be comprehensive, as the author states he tried to fit as many songs in one book as possible. You'll note songs like "Call Me a Princess" from Aladdin are missing, so just because it isn't listed in the book doesn't mean that there weren't more songs for a film.

Incidentally, when I met Richard Sherman I asked him if there were any deleted songs from "The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band" (one of my favorite films and favorite scores). He said that there were two "I Couldn't Have Dreamed it Better" and "Westerin'". He sang a few verses, and the Westerin' song, in particular, was beautiful. Thankfully, both of those songs are in the Lost Chords book ;)

Rumor has it that Walt Disney Records has gotten good response from The Lost Chords albums and there are plans for new albums down the line. Which films, what songs, release dates and whether or not they will be digital only downloads remains to be seen.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

disneyfella wrote:As far as Lost Chords go, the only cut song I know of from S&TS is "Magic Key".
I think 'Blue Oak Tree' can be considered a deleted song as well though.

Anyway, thanks for all the information! I think I should really check out those books!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:I think I should really check out those books!
Unfortunately, they're out of print.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
Crap... Hopefully the bookstore I frequent in Amsterdam still has them. I know they have long out of print art of books still in stock.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Sotiris wrote:
They were limited to 1000 copies for each volume. I belive you can still order them directly from the publisher. I sent away this form and was able to get both copies of the books:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/u ... erform.pdf

As for "The Blue Oak Tree", I know it was released on the record albums and singles, and I'm pretty sure there was sheet music for this song as well.
- Walt Disney

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Do those books feature any of the deleted songs from The Little Mermaid or from Beauty and the Beast that have never been released? We know of one from Beauty and the Beast (Invention Convention)...
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Gandalf wrote:Do those books feature any of the deleted songs from The Little Mermaid or from Beauty and the Beast that have never been released? We know of one from Beauty and the Beast (Invention Convention)...
No. Starting with the 1980s, Volume II includes the following:

The Black Cauldron:
Fflewddur's Song

The Great Mouse Detective:
Are You the One Who Loves Me?

Aladdin:
Proud of Your Boy
Humiliate the Boy
You Can Count on Me

Pocahontas:
In the Middle of the River

The Hunchback of Notre Dame:
In a Place of Miracles
As Long As There's a Moon

Hercules:
Shooting Star

also, music from an unproduced Mickey Mouse short circa 1985 called "Mickey Columbus":
It's a Round, Round World
- Walt Disney

Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

How about one for Enchanted? Just for that one song.... :lol:
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Unfortunately, no. I think these books were prepared before that film came out. However, there are still so many songs which haven't been released. We can only hope for a third volume with:

The deleted song from Enchanted:

The full score of deleted songs from 'Sweatin Bullets' (Home on the Range)

The full score of songs from the unproduced Roger Rabbit 2 (abandoned in the late 1990s, but songs written by Alan Menken)

among many other ;)
- Walt Disney