The Three CommentEARS Episode 13: Beauty and the Beast

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS: Audio Commentaries for Disney Fil

Post by pap64 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Just watching the Peter Pan commentary now and yes, Skull Rock and the pirate ship were removed as part of the Fantasyland renovation which opened in 1983. The ship suffered from woot rot and could not be saved without replacement so it was scrapped to make space for other things like the relocation of Dumbo.

However, both the ship and rock were rebuilt for Disneyland Paris' Adventure Island attraction, which is similar to Tom Sawyer Island and still remain there.

The voice of the Chief was also Fidget in The Great Mouse Detective, although with his voice sped up, and one of the ghosts in The Haunted Mansion (the executioner).
Yeah, I found out about Skull Rock after the commentary was recorded. Thanks for all the additional information, dude! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I also realized Disneykids's point about Peter being used to mute females is undermined because of the mermaids. Though, they're probably more listeners than talkers around Peter.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:I also realized Disneykids's point about Peter being used to mute females is undermined because of the mermaids. Though, they're probably more listeners than talkers around Peter.
Ah, but I didn't say females; I said the girls Peter knows are mute, and the mermaids are, well, mermaids. Remember when they saw Wendy, they exclaimed, "A girl! What's she doing here?" ;)
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Yeah, the mermaids seemed more interested in what HE had to say than to start a conversation.
ImageImageImageImage

russds

Post by russds »

hey guys, just listened to Wreck it Ralph while watching the movie. Wow great stuff, i didn't realize it was packed with so much historical, production and behind the scenes stuff. Also the 'i really liked this scene because' stuff - I really enjoyed it, thank you!!

Below are some notes I jotted down while watching, just if you're curious. Overall really good, much higher quality than I expected from a fan made commentary. My final thoughts, Tangled please!! Tangled, Up, and Wall-e, please, please!! :)

--------------------------
I liked that there was no 10 minute introduction, just bam right into it, although it might be nice to at least have a 5 second count down, "please start your movie in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"...I had a little trouble clicking play on my computer and on BR at the same time. :)

I had seen Maximus but not realized Vladimir from Tangled has a cameo, nice catch!

Great technical details, and behind the scenes info!

re: 8bit movements. I really liked the frame rate / animation on the fix it characters, I thought it was so funny, creative, and great attention to detail.

Tangled please, really want to hear the production and behind the scenes info.

Mentioned the writing, and how the story twists, and the mystery is created around why everyone doesn't want Penelope to race. Great stuff, as I was also thinking the same things when i watched it, and appreciated the story telling techniques used here.

I like your ideas on how Turbo killed King candy which was Penelope's dad. Possible prequel...i like it.

Strike that, reverse it. Wonka reference, nice!

I agree with the intensity of the 'torn dress' 2.0 scene where Ralph smashes her car. Well directed, intensely designed scene. When I first saw it I was immersed.

I would include when Rapunzel sees Flynn sail off thinking he 'took the crown and left her'. Another great torn dress scene.

Spoiler reveal was fantastic in this movie. (king candy showed to be turbo). I loved it!

King Candy, thumbs up. http://bit.ly/15erwPI

Pedro knows his stuff!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Thank you for the awesome feedback, russds! Ralph was a challenge as it was a fairly recent movie and thus we couldn't focus on a nostalgic level and talk legacy, but very happy to know that you thought it was well made. As for your requests, I think Tangled is in the cards, but not sure for when. Up and Wall-E, though, are great suggestions! :)
ImageImageImageImage

russds

Post by russds »

Hey, just stumbled up on this audio commentary website http://www.zarban.com/. I haven't looked too much into it, but seems to be a catalogue of fan made commentaries - a subject I find interesting. You may want to consider submitting your commentaries there. I did listen to this Tangled commentary briefly, and it was no were near the quality of your Wreck-it-Ralph.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Thanks for the suggestion, russds! BTW, the next episode is coming up soon, so look forward to it! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Three CommentEARS

Post by Disney Duster »

Disneykid wrote:
Flanger-Hanger wrote:Anyway, I listed to your Cinderella commentary and I definitely enjoyed it. I'm not sure how a pumpkin could be orange in June, and I thought the original version had fur shoes instead of glass so you wouldn't see missing toes, but it was still good. :P
Well, pumpkins take approximately three months to ripen, and even though most people plant the seeds in the summer so it's ready for fall, who's to say Cinderella didn't plant a few in March? :p As for the slipper thing, I rechecked the Brothers Grimm version which involves the severed toes. Turns out the slipper was gold in that version (I'm guessing the fur one was from oral tradition that Perrault heard and subsequently misunderstood when writing his).
The original version of Cinderella is traced back to golden slippers even before the Grimm's. There were no fur slippers, some historian just made up that theory because he thought glass couldn't work. Charles Perrault invented the glass slippers, as he invented the fairy godmother, the pumpkin, etc, and that's the version Disney based their film on, so they're totally correct using glass.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emotionboy
Limited Issue

Post by emotionboy »

Finally got 'round to listening to the audio commentary for The Hunchback of Notre Dame (though I had it on DVD- twice- US and UK as the UK DVD has content that isn't on the US DVD, I'd been waiting until I got the new Blu-ray)

Anyhoo, great work guys and fantastic research (it was also my favorite Disney animated classic for a long time, well, next to Beauty and the Beast). Even the part where Albert talks about other releases that year was mercilessly brief (thanks Albert).

So you guys got your butts moving and put it on iTunes yet?
It's about content, not packaging.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Thanks for the feedback, emotionboy. :)

The iTunes process had taken a brief backseat for us, as May has been largely filled with a lot of busy "real life" work (May is end-of-term season). It's something we're going to work on in the summer.
emotionboy wrote:Even the part where Albert talks about other releases that year was mercilessly brief (thanks Albert).
:lol:

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

May's commentary was released this week! This month, we take a look at 2007's Meet the Robinsons. Each of us share different perspectives towards this film, as we discuss the production of the film, our own interpretations regarding the "rules" of time travel, several theme park connections between the film and Disneyland, and the film's recurring theme to "keep moving forward," including its impact for the audience.

Instructions on Synching Up This Commentary with Your Copy of the Film:
Both the film and commentary run the same length. To maximize your enjoyment of this commentary, please ensure that both your copy of the film and the mp3 begin at the same time. Then sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

You can download the MP3 here
Last edited by pap64 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

russds

Post by russds »

Awesome, can't wait. MTR is one of my favorites. Thx!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

In addition to our monthly commentary tracks, we have also been recording commentaries for animated shorts. These will not be done on our monthly schedule, but whenever time permits. Currently, three are hosted on YouTube, with several more already in development.

"Paperman" (2012) by Albert
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kktwG524g[/youtube]

"Mike's New Car" (2002) by Pedro
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5Zj7JDKx8[/youtube]

"Mickey's Trailer" (2012) by Albert
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaDii7hq1So[/youtube]

:)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

I LOVE the concept of this, it's really cool!

Think it should be The Three Commenteers though... CommentEARS is too many layers if you ask me...
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

271286 wrote:I LOVE the concept of this, it's really cool!

Think it should be The Three Commenteers though... CommentEARS is too many layers if you ask me...
It's CommentEARS because these being audio commentaries for Disney shorts and films, the EARS at the end reference Mickey's famous ears. It's a Disney pun ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

pap64 wrote:
271286 wrote:I LOVE the concept of this, it's really cool!

It's CommentEARS because these being audio commentaries for Disney shorts and films, the EARS at the end reference Mickey's famous ears. It's a Disney pun ;)
I get that, but for some reason I though of the Mickey, Donald and Goofy Three Musketeers, so It was already Disney ;)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm almost done with your Peter Pan track, and dang, I like it a lot! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I like how Kelvin is well-versed in the history of the story and its many different takes, while Albert knows his stuff about the Disney staff's history, while Pedro has knowledge about the parks, while you all have fresh takes on various parts of the whole film and its history. The chemistry is very strong here, thanks to the balance.

Can't wait to check out the rest of these!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Thanks so much for the kind words, Avaitor! The Peter Pan track's my personal favorite one of ours thus far as I feel all of us had a chance to shine, and the momentum was kept up nicely.

Good catch on the roles we play, by the way. Of the three of us, I'm the source material/other adaptations geek. I'm fascinated by book-to-film translations, and I'm equally fascinated by how different films can approach the same core story. This poses a problem, though, when we cover an original Disney story like Wreck-It Ralph in which case, I find myself defaulting to deleted scenes and abandoned concepts as I'm also obsessed with how a story changes as it progresses. Albert's the historian. He's got tons of facts up his sleeve about both the production in question and things related to it (other films from the same time frame, actor's filmography, etc.) and helps put things into proper context and perspective. Pedro's a mix of the theme park guru and tropes spotter. He can name the connections a particular film either had or currently has with the parks, and he also points how a particular type of characterization or plot has been used in similar or other ways in different films. Of course, none of us are bound to our roles (which we sort of fell into, believe it or not), and we're constantly overlapping each other's territory. It's a good balance that we're happy with.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, that's the feel that I'm getting. You each have your own strong suits, and they gel together well. If I get time to watch Cinderella this weekend, then I'll be sure to catch that commentary next, and if it's anything like this one, I'm definitely excited!

I don't really have any requests myself, since I just like watching along with you guys, but I am hopeful that you'll get to Pixar or some of Disney's live-action films some day. Or possibly even some of their television work. I would totally help if you want to take on one of the Disney Afternoon pilots. :wink: