Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray soon?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray soon?

Post by The_Iceflash »

WIth Mary Poppins now released on Blu-ray, it stands to reason that Bedknobs and Broomsticks can't be that far behind. My main concern would be what we would be getting. Would we be getting the same 30th and 40th edition releases with the re-edits and re-dubbed and re-inserted scenes? Have they found any prints since then that were thought to be lost forever that could be used to create a new restoration? The officially released soundtrack has minimal score and it would be nice to release a deluxe version of the soundtrack with score included and more complete/extended versions of songs edited on the currently available soundtrack. With its 45th Anniversary in 2 years, it isn't too soon for them to release it. We know how they do anniversaries. What do you think we'll see for a Blu-ray release and what would you like to see?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray soon?

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

First, questions:
-What redubs?
-The film turns 45 in 4 years, not 2
-There never was a 40th anniversary edition (though I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Blu-ray release this year, it would be labeled as the 40th AE)

As for your question, yes I would like to see a Blu-ray of this film with both Theatrical and Extended Cuts in addition of the completed sequence of A Step In The Right Direction (the footage EXCISTS!). I also happen to make a ideal release to give you a better idea:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=560
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:First, questions:
-What redubs?
-The film turns 45 in 4 years, not 2
-There never was a 40th anniversary edition (though I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Blu-ray release this year, it would be labeled as the 40th AE)

As for your question, yes I would like to see a Blu-ray of this film with both Theatrical and Extended Cuts in addition of the completed sequence of A Step In The Right Direction (the footage EXCISTS!). I also happen to make a ideal release to give you a better idea:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=560
Added scenes had to be re-dubbed due to the soundtrack for the spoken parts being unrecoverable and the dubs weren't as seamless as many would have preferred. Also, the film came out in 1971, add 45 years to that and it brings us to 2016, 2 years from now. The 2009 DVD indeed wasn't titled the 40th anniversary edition (I shouldn't have called it that.) but 2009 was 2 years before its 40th anniversary.

As for "A Step In The Right Direction" I'm hopeful there's a print somwhere in the world that has it (unless international releases were different than the premiere). I wonder how something like that can't be found. The Disney Archives was in existence for a year when the film came out so I guess they didn't have the system in place yet for preservation.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

The_Iceflash wrote: Also, the film came out in 1971, add 45 years to that and it brings us to 2016, 2 years from now.
Huh, you're right. I though it was released in 1973. I apologize.
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Post by justcuttinhair »

Honestly....and I may be the minority here...but, the shortened/edited version, that was circulately around on vhs for many years...is the one I grew up with...so I love it for that. However, I own the dvds' which have had restored/recovered footage added into it. There is still footage, that has yet to be found. Personally, I prefer the shorter-edited version...it has a better pace, the story is tighter and makes it more enjoyable..for a film...that is already pretty long! The added scenes (IMO) do not really add any "meat" to the story, enhance the plot or character development. The subplot with the vicar, and the additional scenes with the postmistress....really do nothing overall. The extended Portobello sequence....is just too long! It would have been nice, if the releases, had given both cuts of the film to be viewed. I enjoy the nostalgia of the bonus scenes and all...but, I prefer the shorter edit.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

That would be great... if only... Disney is getting very lazy regarding disc releases. And when they do release a fiml on disc, we are seeing less and less bonuns features.

A movie that is way overdue for a DVD or Blu Ray release is "So Dear To My Heart". I'd love to see that released!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Angeldude98 wrote:A movie that is way overdue for a DVD or Blu Ray release is "So Dear To My Heart". I'd love to see that released!
I really doubt So Dear To My Heart will be released on Blu soon, but if you have no problem playing Region 2 DVDs, there is a rather nice DVD edition in the UK, which, I believe features a rather handsome AV presentation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/So-Dear-To-Hear ... o+my+heart
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

Angeldude98 wrote:That would be great... if only... Disney is getting very lazy regarding disc releases. And when they do release a fiml on disc, we are seeing less and less bonuns features.

A movie that is way overdue for a DVD or Blu Ray release is "So Dear To My Heart". I'd love to see that released!
Angeldude98:

So Dear to My Heart is available on DVD as a Disney Movie Club Exclusive.

Darby
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Darby wrote:
Angeldude98 wrote:That would be great... if only... Disney is getting very lazy regarding disc releases. And when they do release a fiml on disc, we are seeing less and less bonuns features.

Angeldude98:

Darby
You can also buy it from the online Disney Store site (or a reseller on Amazon) and get it as a Disney Movie Reward.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Darby wrote:

Angeldude98:

Darby
I know that. I am a DMC member. I was talking about a good mainstream release of both Blu-Ray and DVD.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

With Mary Poppins and Pete's Dragon on Blu-ray, Bedknobs & Broomsticks seems like a given. Come on, Disney! They could even call it the Naboom-Blu Edition!
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

AwallaceUNC wrote:With Mary Poppins and Pete's Dragon on Blu-ray, Bedknobs & Broomsticks seems like a given. Come on, Disney! They could even call it the Naboom-Blu Edition!
I would buy it for that banner title alone!

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Escapay wrote:
AwallaceUNC wrote:With Mary Poppins and Pete's Dragon on Blu-ray, Bedknobs & Broomsticks seems like a given. Come on, Disney! They could even call it the Naboom-Blu Edition!

Albert
I nominate this edition title to be the new WIST.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Escapay wrote: I would buy it for that banner title alone!

Albert
I nominate this edition title to be the new WIST.
I lent the WIST series to disneyboy, but perhaps I can take over once more (and remove my "no nomination" rule). Consider it done. ;)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Escapay wrote:

Albert
I would boycott it for that banner alone!

I do think we will see Bedknobs and Broomsticks soon enough, though I doubt we'll get much new stuff. If Disney only releases the longer cut in the US, then it may be worth mentioning that a shorter edition may become available in Europe, where most Blu-rays from Disney are region free now (or so I believe). The longer cut was released on DVD in the UK around 10 to 12 years ago, but subsequent editions only have the 117 min cut as it contains European language dubs for countries that didn't get the longer cut. I think the Blu-ray of Pete's Dragon also was shorter in the UK because of language tracks, so I can imagine we might see something similar happen to Bedknobs and Broomsticks if it were to be released.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Wonderlicious wrote:
Escapay wrote: I would buy it for that banner title alone!

Albert
I would boycott it for that banner alone!
Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod