Pete's Dragon (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney to Remake Pete's Dragon

Post by Disney Guru »

pinkrenata wrote:I sanction this only if Mickey Rooney reprises his role.
Perhaps Helen Reddy making a cameo would be in order, unfortunately Mickey Rooney is confined to a wheelchair and is suffering from the early signs of dementia.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

estefan wrote:I think The Black Hole could use a remake. That's probably my pick for the most boring science-fiction film I've ever seen. Really, it was simply made as a way for Disney to cash-in on the success of Star Wars, but with a talented director behind the wheel of a modern remake, it could be pretty fantastic.
You must remember though, this is a big key if you are going to remake a film at least remake a film that was successful and a good movie in the first place what was doomed for failure once is generally doomed to failure again.

For instance Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956), interesting film noir from the 50s not that great. But it had the likes of Dana Andrews and Joan Fontaine who were able to somewhat save it.

Fast forward a few decades, Dina Merrill underrated actress. Post/Hutton heiress weds Ted Hartley Jr. a wannabe actor never really got his break turned to investment planning to make a living hence how he met Ms. Merrill. She purchased RKO what was left of it that is for her husband as he always wanted to do movies.

Fast forward to the 21st century, he has an idea to remake some of the old RKO movies turned a couple of the musicals into Plays. Somewhat of a success when he had teamed with A&E to do The Magnificent Ambersons and Disney to do Mighty Joe Young. But he made the colossal mistake of remaking Beyond a Reasonable Doubt huge budget good casting Michael Douglas, Jesse Metcalfe, Amber Tamblyn. Dina had a nice little cameo. $25 million budget movie was a dud brought in less then $100k.

Now although I am not in support of the Pete's Dragon remake at least it was a successful film even today it holds up well new generations always being introduced to it perhaps it will be a success if they do it right. But they need to keep something in mind when doing remakes as I have said earlier in my "rant". If you are going to actually remake something REMAKE something that was at least successful in the first run.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Disney Guru wrote:
Perhaps Helen Reddy making a cameo would be in order, unfortunately Mickey Rooney is confined to a wheelchair and is suffering from the early signs of dementia.
Guru -- say it ain't so!

Are you absolutely sure he's gone that far downhill? The only article I can find even semi confirming it is on the National Enquirer website. Leave it to you to have some inside sources none of us know about.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Helen Reddy has put it all behind her, so I doubt she'd make a cameo.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-Zb5HoPjM[/youtube]

As much as I want Mickey Rooney to have a part, I think the most plausible actor willing to make a cameo is Jim Dale (Dr. Terminus). But Sean Marshall (Pete) is also a likely contender if he's interested in it. He did provide the audio narration/interview for 2009's "Brazzle Dazzle Effects," so maybe he'd be willing to do a cameo if approached.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

pinkrenata wrote:
Disney Guru wrote: Perhaps Helen Reddy making a cameo would be in order, unfortunately Mickey Rooney is confined to a wheelchair and is suffering from the early signs of dementia.
Guru -- say it ain't so!

Are you absolutely sure he's gone that far downhill? The only article I can find even semi confirming it is on the National Enquirer website. Leave it to you to have some inside sources none of us know about.
The Enquirer wasn't the only one to report it, from allthingsgossip.com
Mickey Rooney’s Dementia shocker, the American film actor and entertainer health is said to be deteriorating fast, as he was having a confused behavior at a recent event, which has sparked fears for the star.

The now ninety two year old had been booked for “An Evening With Mickey Rooney” at Lyons Eng­lish Grille in Palm Springs, California, November 12, 2012. It had been a dinner event in which he was to mingle with his fans speak open up about his Hollywood career.

However the meet-and-greet went into another direction, fans saw something different a disoriented and frail shell of a man who didn’t even remember why he was at the event!

“Mickey was in no condition to be out greet­ing fans,” a source at the restaurant told The ENQUIRER. “He didn’t have a clue where he was. He was confused, and sadly, he couldn’t even speak coherently. There was no way he could tell stories about his extraordinary life in Hollywood.

“Every seat was filled, and everyone was shocked by Mickey’s condition. Word spread that he either had dementia or Alzheimer’s.”

Fans did shell out sixty five dollars to hear the Oscar-, Golden Globe- and Emmy-winning actor speak choked up with tears as Mickey began “rambling on and on about nothing,

” added the source.

“Everyone was looking forward to meeting Mickey, but he should not have been there. He should’ve been at home in bed with loved ones around him, not propped up on a stool expected to perform.

“It was pathetic, and his family members who arranged the event should be ashamed of themselves.”
He also recently sold his home due to his declining health and being unable to do stairs anymore. Although he is still optimistic about someday returning to film.
LOS ANGELES - A probate court judge today approved the sale of actor Mickey Rooney's long-time home in Westlake Village after the 92-year-old moved into a smaller residence because of his failing health.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Reva Goetz gave the nod to Kapilack Investments LLC in West Hills to buy the home for $1.03 million. The proceeds will be split, with Rooney getting $500,000 and his current wife, Janice Rooney, getting $525,000.

Attorney Michael Augustine, Rooney's conservator, said after the hearing that Rooney could no longer climb the stairs at his Westlake Village home, so he has moved to the one-story residence of the entertainer's stepson, Mark Rooney, and his wife, Charlene, in the west San Fernando Valley.

Augustine also said Rooney and his wife will be living apart, but no formal legal procedures to end the marriage will be undertaken.

Despite Rooney's age, Augustine said the actor continues to make public appearances and was a passenger on the Turner Classic Movie Classics Cruise that sailed last month from Miami to Mexico. He also said Rooney recently made a public service announcement on behalf of military veterans.

Rooney's goal is to resume his entertainment career, Augustine said.

"Mickey wants to work," Augustine said.

In September 2011-- amid allegations by Augustine that the actor's stepson, Christopher Aber, and his wife,
Advertisement
Christina, financially and verbally abused the former child star for a decade, leaving the entertainer powerless over his assets and personal life -- Goetz gave court protection to the actor by naming Augustine as his conservator.

Christopher Aber is Janice Rooney's biological son. The Abers have declared bankruptcy.

Janice Rooney's lawyer, Yevgeny Belous, said outside the courtroom that the Westlake Village home had sentimental value for his client, who lived at the location with the former child star for many years.

"But things change and it was time to move on," Belous said.

Although Rooney and his wife have reached agreement on most of the issues between them, still unresolved are the allegations concerning the Abers. Rooney's attorneys allege the two are liable for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud stemming from elder abuse, along with misappropriation of the actor's name and likeness, and are seeking a permanent injunction against the couple as additional protection for Rooney.

According to the complaint, Aber took advantage of the trust and confidence that Rooney put in him, and in the process took control of the actor's income and finances to enrich himself and his wife, while leaving Rooney no control over or access to his finances.

The petition alleges that the Abers regularly withheld food and medication from the actor, leading to bouts of depression.

Rooney's film career dates back to his teens, when he was one of Hollywood's most famous child stars, beginning with his role as Andy Hardy.

Here are a couple pics of him from the TCM Cruise this year:

Re: Escapay's comment, I am sure if the right amount of money was offered Helen Reddy might just take the part. She is still doing the occasional project and as of last year has come out of retirement.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Helen Reddy failed to take her own advice for the last few years — she did not "Keep on Singing," to quote the title of her 1974 hit.

Ten years ago, the "I Am Woman" singer-songwriter gave up on show business and started a whole new life in her homeland of Australia. She got her degree in clinical hypnotherapy, and for the last decade has lived modestly in Sydney.

"I have very wide-ranging interests," she said in a recent interview. "So, singing 'Leave Me Alone' 43 times per song lost its charm a long time ago."

But she couldn't stay silent forever. Reddy is making her return to the musical stage this week, at a club in San Diego and for a high school benefit in Panorama City, outside of Los Angeles. She decided to return to performing after being buoyed by the warm reception she recently got when she sang at her sister's birthday party.

But don't expect to hear all of the old chart makers during her performances.

"One of the reasons that I'm coming back to singing is because I'm not doing the greatest hits," Reddy explained. "I'm doing the songs that I always loved. So many are album cuts that never got any airplay, and they're gorgeous songs."

Reddy, 70, has been singing since she was a young girl, as part of a well-known show-business family in Melbourne. But she didn't score hugely until her 1971 hit cover of "I Don't Know How to Love Him," the big ballad from the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar." Over the next decade, she produced 15 top 40 hits, with three reaching No. 1.

Her biggest song was the feminist anthem "I Am Woman" — which ultimately inspired her to retire.

"That was one of the reasons that I stopped singing, was when I was shown a modern American history high-school textbook, and a whole chapter on feminism — and my name and my lyrics (were) in the book," she recalled. "And I thought, 'Well, I'm part of history now. And how do I top that? I can't top that.' So, it was an easy withdrawal."

Still, that is one of the classics from her catalog that she will sing on stage — or, to be more accurate, recite.

"Sometimes the words get lost in a song," Reddy said. "And I think the words are very important. So I am reciting 'I Am Woman.' And I hadn't realized, but it's wonderful acting piece, as well. So, that will probably be the end of the set for me."

She added: "A lot of things that (women have) gained during the '70s have been lost. And I think it is time to put woman forward in more places."

As for Reddy, who recently had cataract surgery, she says she's already in a "very good place."

"I'm still very active, physically. I walk four miles a day. And I love the fact that I don't care so much about things — things that were so terribly important when you're younger, they don't matter when you get older," she said. "And it's such a sense of freedom."
From: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/helen-red ... 44608.html
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

I'm going to start calling Guru Mr. Information! :o

Still, little cameo à la The Muppets would be feasible. Mickey-willing, of course!
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Disney Guru wrote:Re: Escapay's comment, I am sure if the right amount of money was offered Helen Reddy might just take the part. She is still doing the occasional project and as of last year has come out of retirement.
Awesome. I'm hoping it happens, if only for the possibility of hearing her sing "Candle on the Water" once more...

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disneyphile
Special Edition

"Pete's Dragon" remake

Post by Disneyphile »

Walt Disney Pictures made a lot of great live action and animated movies back in the 1970s, but unless you're of a certain age (i.e old), you may have never heard of or seen the 1977 live action-animated combo musical Pete's Dragon when you were a kid. (You might also argue whether it was "great.")

Fortunately, nothing from the '70s stays dead for long and Walt Disney Pictures clearly sees that there's an interest in dragons with the success of "Game of Thrones" and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug... so they're bringing Pete's Dragon back!
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z2xxxbiGZC
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

My GOD I hope this doesn't happen. The first was enough torture for us all, I can't imagine how horrific a modern CGI version will be.......
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Lady Cluck wrote:My GOD I hope this doesn't happen. The first was enough torture for us all, I can't imagine how horrific a modern CGI version will be.......
Oh, come on. I loved the original. :(
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Mickey Rooney just died. Surprised this wasnt why this was bumped.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 28,00.html
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

NO!!!!!!!!!! Gone too soon :(
LADY Image CLUCK
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

So sad to lose Mickey Rooney this week. :( May Lampie live on forever.

Meanwhile, I'm so happy to hear that the remake is still moving forward. It's impossible to know whether it will turn out to be any good (and I'm still hoping it turns into a musical after all, especially after the success of Frozen), but the life-long Pete's Dragon fan in me can't help but be excited about this.

*Keeps fingers crossed that Amy Grant ends up playing Nora* :p
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

I don't see the problem with Disney rebooting/remaking this, as long as they do it right and it's good. Both "The Parent Trap" and "The Shaggy Dog" were great remakes. And even if they do remake it, the original will aways be classic Disney no matter what. :D
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

This quote makes me sad. :-(

AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

pinkrenata wrote:
This quote makes me sad. :-(
:(
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Oakes Fegley and Oona Laurence are set to star in Disney’s remake of “Pete’s Dragon.”

David Lowery is set to direct from a script he wrote with Toby Halbrooks.

The story is a reinvention of the 1977 film that revolves around Pete and his best friend Elliot, who happens to be dragon. The first pic was a musical, but sources say this will be a straight narrative.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/disne ... 201309299/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Awwwwww, yay Oona! I saw Bailey in Matilda and not Oona. But, Oona is defientely one of my favorites! Proud of this girl!
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Robert Redford is in early talks to join Pete’s Dragon, Disney’s remake of its 1977 classic children's movie.

David Lowery, who helmed the crime drama Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, is directing the feature, which is eyeing a shoot in New Zealand this fall. Jim Whitaker is producing.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r ... tes-737672
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

David Lowery? Are they sure about this?