Scrooge McDuck

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Luke wrote:
Scrooge is alive and well. He's even outlived Alan Young, a comedic actor who was able to sound like Scrooge sometimes...when the situation called for it. :)
I don't think Alan Young is dead. He was interviewed on Rhino's Ultimate Battle of the Planets set earlier this year.

Interesting fact. Alan wrote the record Disney's Christmas Carol, which in turn inspired Mickey's Christmas Carol.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

2099net wrote:I don't think Alan Young is dead. He was interviewed on Rhino's Ultimate Battle of the Planets set earlier this year.

Interesting fact. Alan wrote the record Disney's Christmas Carol, which in turn inspired Mickey's Christmas Carol.
You're right. That's my stupid moment of the day. It was the voice of Mickey Mouse who had died in the '80s! :oops:

Sorry, Alan!
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Luke wrote:Well, I don't think you give us much choice! :P But then this Don Rosa guy has been misinformed. Because Scrooge McDuck was in a little featurette called <i>Mickey's Christmas Carol</i> in 1983, a little show called "DuckTales" and appeared in theaters with <i>DuckTales: The Movie</i> (1990) and on DVD/video with <i>Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas</i> (1999).

Scrooge is alive and well. He's even outlived Alan Young, a comedic actor who was able to sound like Scrooge sometimes...when the situation called for it. :)
Luke have you read the comic book(literally a book) about the life of Scrooke McDuck made by Don Rosa I bilieve? I got it in Italy a few years back and its great, from when he is 6 to present day.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Nope, can't say I have. Sounds buonissimo though! But even if Scrooge died, he wouldn't really die. Any time we'd see a gold coin, he'd be there!
karlsen
Special Edition

Post by karlsen »

hehe, this is one of those common mistakes by Don Rosa fans.

For those that don't know the comic book version of Donald Duck and therefore don't know who Don Rosa is then I can expaine shortly:

In the 1940's GoldKey started publishing Disney comics with a license from the Walt Disney Company. Early on they hiered one of Disneys story writers Carl Barks to do the stories. Carl Barks is now looked upon as one of the largest artists in the cartoon universe. Someone once sead that Barks was to comics as Beatles was to rock music.

Barks retired in 1967 and for many years the comics was bad and loosing its public but one day there came a new artist called Don Rosa that was so inspired by Barks that he told the editor that he was born to draw Donald. Don Rosa is now looked upon as the bigest name in Walt Disney comics and some of his drawings that he has made for fans can get up to $500 on Ebay. He is traveling large tours around the world on signing trips all the time.

Don Rosa has an urge to do everything exactly the way Barks made it. All his storyes are explained well, and nothing happens in them without it beeing fysical possible. He has also made an universal timeline from all the old Barks stories and that is what he is basing all his stories on.

The funny part is that Barks never was perfectly logical in all his stories and he did not have any problem moving Donald around in the Duckburg universe and making changes so he could write new stories. But nevertheless Don Rosa needs perfect logic in everything and I guess this (alongside his fantastic detailed drawings, and stories) are the reason for his success.

BUT, Don Rosa have never published any date for Scrooge McDuck's death, but he has made a fan drawing of the old Duck family gathered on Scrooge's grave and there it reads that he died in 1967 (wich is the same year as Barks retiered).

But again I must say that Don Rosa never have told that this is his oppinion, but it is a solution to his ever search for logic in the Donald Duck universe.

In my oppinion none of the characters are dead, they still lives like many have written here. This is only based on a fan drawing and a interesting theory.
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Luke wrote:Nope, can't say I have. Sounds buonissimo though! But even if Scrooge died, he wouldn't really die. Any time we'd see a gold coin, he'd be there!
If you like things Disney I strongly suggest you get a hold of a copy of this because it is really great, best comic book ever!
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

It really is very, very well done.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Scrooge McDuck

Post by Disney Guru »

:lol:

Scrooge will never die. Even if he does die. We will still remember him in our hearts. And put a flower on his Milestone at Disney on Memorial Day. Scrooge McDuck is a great little duck. Who made his debut in the 40's in some of Walter Elias Disney's earliest films.Scrooge is best remembered for his role in Mickey's Christmas Carol, and DuckTales. Scrooge is a great little guy. And I hope he never dies. Sure other people will voice him but he will still live in our hearts, and minds forever.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Son Of Flubber
Limited Issue

Post by Son Of Flubber »

Scrooge McDuck is not dead. If he suddenly got a disease or illness for which there is no cure, he can afford to get his head frozen,
just like Walt Disney (maybe even share the same freezer). :D
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

This might be a stupid question but why would he be dead? :? Maybe this is just Catalina's day of confusion since I have been askingnothing but questions but I just dont see why or how he could be dead.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Luke Wrote:
Well, I don't think you give us much choice! :P But then this Don Rosa guy has been misinformed. Because Scrooge McDuck was in a little featurette called Mickey's Christmas Carol in 1983, a little show called "DuckTales" and appeared in theaters with DuckTales: The Movie (1990) and on DVD/video with Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999).

I agree with Luke Scrooge McDuck isn't dead he still got his lucky dime. :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Scrooge McDuck is definitely not dead. I saw him in Target just last week. He was buying some scented candles and a frying pan. I wanted his autograph but did not want to bother him. He still looks good by the way.
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

It's not just Scrooge McDuck - NO Disney animated character (besides the ones from the feature films :wink: ) will die. Would Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Minnie, Daisy and Pluto die? Of course not! They will go on living for the sake of fans and for earning money for the company.
Palan

Post by Palan »

karlsen wrote:BUT, Don Rosa have never published any date for Scrooge McDuck's death, but he has made a fan drawing of the old Duck family gathered on Scrooge's grave and there it reads that he died in 1967 (wich is the same year as Barks retiered).
I remember that drawing now. I always thought of it as Don Rosa commenting that the good comics with Scrooge died with Barks retirement. Barks was the one who created Scrooge and there is no doubt that he and Don Rosa have made all the best comics with him. But all of Rosa's stories take place in the fiftyes so he may think of Scrooge as dead today. Officially he'll never die of course.
gamma

Re: Scrooge McDuck - dead?

Post by gamma »

Don Rosa happens to be extremely popular in Finland. It is very hard to live in Finland if you call yourself a Disney fan and are also Rosa hater (like I am...)
Bashful
Limited Issue

Post by Bashful »

I know what you mean (although I like Don Rosa's work). In Finland it seems to be socially more acceptable for adults to like comics than animated films. And the only Disney related fanzine we have is dedicated almost entirely to comics. A shocking thought: perhaps there just aren't that many animation buffs around. :shock: Oh well, fortunately there's the Internet and ultimatedisney.com!
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

"The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck"

Post by Sunset Girl »

Has anyone ever followed this comic story by Don Rosa? It was a mini-series that was first published several years ago and I happened to pick up a few issues. I wanted to find the rest of the set, but without internet and such it was hard to do. Feeling nostalgic for Scrooge, I started looking for them a few months ago on eBay and freaked when I saw how much a complete set of back-issues was. Eek!

Well, I found out they reprinted all the issues of the series in one handy book just last week. I haven't gotten through all of it yet, but it's simply amazing.

This is a must for any DuckTales fan if they want to see how Scrooge became who he is.

I'm sure that most of you know that Scrooge was created by the late, great Carl Barks. Starting off as a one-shot character, Scrooge quickly escalated into a star of the comic industry.

With this particular series, Don Rosa took tidbits of information from hundreds of Barks' stories and tied them all together into one neat little package to explain Scrooge's history. It includes how he earned his "number one dime," how he made his vast fortune, early run-ins with the Beagle Boys, when he meets Donald for the first time, why his family stops speaking to him, and the one moment he becomes so greedy that he turns into a villain (of course, he learns from this but it later comes back to haunt him). We get to see Scrooge as a young lad in Glasgow, a young man (er, duck?) in the old west and in the Klondike, and his further travels throughout the globe while he meets some famous historical figures along the way.

Something great about this book is how it ties in together with Carl Bark's original stories so well. Both Scrooge and Donald have such a rich, adventurous, and vastly detailed history when it comes to the comics that a lot of Disney fans have seemed to miss out on, and it goes further beyond the scope of DuckTales. I just wanted to bring up how much I've enjoyed it here; I feel it's definitely worth checking out if you are at all a fan of Scrooge or DuckTales.
Last edited by Sunset Girl on Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Wasn't Scrooge's number one dime earned after polishing a guys (actually I think he was a dog) shoes and calling it his number one dime, because it was the first he earnt? Although this may be only an adaption to the more modern series.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Hogi Bear wrote:Wasn't Scrooge's number one dime earned after polishing a guys (actually I think he was a dog) shoes and calling it his number one dime, because it was the first he earnt? Although this may be only an adaption to the more modern series.
Yeah, he did a shoe-shine in his homeland to earn that dime (according to Barks) but it seemed rather curious as to why it would be an American coin, of all things. Rosa expands upon the idea, setting up why it happened and offering an explanation on how that one little event was pivotal to Scrooge's eventual success.

What I'd really love to see is an animated series based on these stories, but that doesn't seem too likely. With all the adventures that young Scrooge goes through, it would be so awesome!
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well I'm not sure about this comic series, but my Dad collected old Donald Duck comic books from the 50's that starred Scrooge McDuck! I wonder if it inspired the character for Ducktales.

Now I get to own them. I even saw an old advertisment for Disneyland in there! :lol:
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.