Frozen (formerly The Snow Queen) - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

This is one movie where I am happy not to be too familiar with much of the source material to be offended by a different vision and interpretation. As long as we don't lose the winter scenery I'm all for it, but seeing as the title is Frozen I don't see that happening anytime soonThen again.. This is Disney
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Edthehyena wrote: No one mention that very simple clue why Disney HAD to give up Kay and Gerda story... It would have meant a male character stuck during all the movie in the frozen palace... that difficult part of the tale may have be the reason why the movie was so difficult and long to achieve during the years. Disney NEEDS a male lead skiing, sliding among avalanches and snow whirls... So he HAD to be a man the heroic girl meets during her travel. Thanks to that decision, the movie can finally reach us so we should not blame them.

All fits.
They could have easily kept the Kay character from being in the Snow Queen's palace for the story (whatever they changed his name to, although Kay isn't that bad of a name like Gerda would be). Of course, they still have a love interest, instead he's now poised to be the hero of the whole thing, whereas Kay was a very weak character who needed to be rescued. They could have had him and Anna travel together to save her sister, and perhaps have something happen involving him and Elsa in the climax along the same lines as the original story. Just my opinion though.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

In case no one else has said it yet:

4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Lazario wrote:In case no one else has said it yet:

Lol, I did notice that when I did a search for the title "Frozen" a little while back. I will also admit to thinking of the Madonna song when hearing the title. I know there's an R-rated thriller called Tangled out there too. I suppose that's what you get when you come up with such generic titles.
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

I've always thought Disney would make an older Gerda and an older Kay and would choose the theme : Snow Queen steals Gerda's love and Gerda has to fight to bring him back... Well, let's forget it.
The emotional sister vibe seems so strong here, i don't even know if we're gonna have any emotional love material between Anna and Kristoff. And who knows, maybe Kristoff is a 40 big guy with a beard who just helps ?
But just in case he's really an handsome mate to Gerda, i really hope Elsa will try to froze him and seduce him like Snow Queen did with Kay in the Andersen tale.
I think the contagious nature of the "Freeze" is a really important an powerful theme.

And i really hope love, spring and sun will melt it all in the end and make Elsa warm and beautiful again (Fantasia 2000 Firebird finale kind)...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So, from the original tale of The Snow Queen, does anyone understand this:
The roses on the leads hung blooming in at the open window; there stood the little children's chairs, and Kay and Gerda sat down on them, holding each other by the hand; they both had forgotten the cold empty splendor of the Snow Queen, as though it had been a dream. The grandmother sat in the bright sunshine, and read aloud from the Bible: "Unless ye become as little children, ye cannot enter the kingdom of heaven."

And Kay and Gerda looked in each other's eyes, and all at once they understood the old hymn:

"The rose in the valley is blooming so sweet,
And angels descend there the children to greet."
Do they just feel like the hymn has come true or does it mean something more, a message the story was trying to say, that perhaps Disney should be including in their version, too? Do they just realize their happiness feels like angels, or something?
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

Typically, typically the too much complex, philosophical, spiritual, religious, symbolic stuff i've been written about before that Disney would NEVER get embarassed with (and that i don't like that much myself). Same than "The Eternal Soul" theme of little mermaid original tale.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Recently I had the amazing opportunity to attend D23's Destination D event celebrating 75 years of Disney Animation. It was the most amazing thing in the world and I have plenty to talk about. I have seen Paperman in it's entirety, and I have seen LOADS of Frozen art work, character models, story details and even heard a song from the film. Let me just say one thing, you should be extremely excited for this film. Now I'm not going to spoil everything I saw and heard there, but I will shed some light on some questions.

The actually Snow Queen, Anna's sister, is NOT your typical, evil villain. Anna and her sister Elsa get along just fine, however Elsa has kept a secret her entire life, she has the power to control ice. She doesn't want people knowing this because there is a prophecy about a queen with a "heart of ice" who is going to destroy the kingdom. However when Anna messes up big time when Elsa is supposed to be becoming queen, Elsa unleashes her powers. Elsa runs away to the top of the mountain because everyone was so shocked at her powers. Elsa then curses the kingdom and puts it in everlasting snow.

The song was absolutely amazing and I wish I could listen to it over and over again. The artwork is beautiful and the character designs all look fantastic. The song, entitled "Let It Go", really shows how Elsa just wants to get away from prophecies and people judging her and finally be free, so she wants to just let her old life go. Elsa is a wicked witch, she isn't a jealous sister, she is simply a girl who has feared she will be evil her entire life and now just wants to live on her own to avoid becoming the villain. This creates such a bigger dynamic than your typical villain and will make for a much more interesting plot.

For those of you wanting some more traditional evil, fear not. Elsa creates snowmen monsters to guard her castle of ice atop the mountain. However these hideous beasts get out of control and are going to attack the kingdom. Worried about the design of these snowmen monsters? Fear not, they are absolutely fantastic. The entire audience gasped when the art work of the snowmen came up on stage. Huge snow beasts with spikes coming out of there bodies, all snarling with vicious growls.

Overall Kristoff and Elsa have the best character design. Kristoff isn't your typical mountain man, he's blond, attractive, and muscular. Elsa has beautiful long, blue hair and is very stunning. Anna and Olaf look great as well, with Anna having red hair and freckles and Olaf being a goofy snow man with a bent carrot nose. This seems like it will have a great cast of characters, beautiful visuals, fantastic songs, and an amazing story that will be an emotional sister story.
Source: http://livinganimationland.blogspot.com ... rozen.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:
Recently I had the amazing opportunity to attend D23's Destination D event celebrating 75 years of Disney Animation. It was the most amazing thing in the world and I have plenty to talk about. I have seen Paperman in it's entirety, and I have seen LOADS of Frozen art work, character models, story details and even heard a song from the film. Let me just say one thing, you should be extremely excited for this film. Now I'm not going to spoil everything I saw and heard there, but I will shed some light on some questions.

The actually Snow Queen, Anna's sister, is NOT your typical, evil villain. Anna and her sister Elsa get along just fine, however Elsa has kept a secret her entire life, she has the power to control ice. She doesn't want people knowing this because there is a prophecy about a queen with a "heart of ice" who is going to destroy the kingdom. However when Anna messes up big time when Elsa is supposed to be becoming queen, Elsa unleashes her powers. Elsa runs away to the top of the mountain because everyone was so shocked at her powers. Elsa then curses the kingdom and puts it in everlasting snow.

The song was absolutely amazing and I wish I could listen to it over and over again. The artwork is beautiful and the character designs all look fantastic. The song, entitled "Let It Go", really shows how Elsa just wants to get away from prophecies and people judging her and finally be free, so she wants to just let her old life go. Elsa is a wicked witch, she isn't a jealous sister, she is simply a girl who has feared she will be evil her entire life and now just wants to live on her own to avoid becoming the villain. This creates such a bigger dynamic than your typical villain and will make for a much more interesting plot.

For those of you wanting some more traditional evil, fear not. Elsa creates snowmen monsters to guard her castle of ice atop the mountain. However these hideous beasts get out of control and are going to attack the kingdom. Worried about the design of these snowmen monsters? Fear not, they are absolutely fantastic. The entire audience gasped when the art work of the snowmen came up on stage. Huge snow beasts with spikes coming out of there bodies, all snarling with vicious growls.

Overall Kristoff and Elsa have the best character design. Kristoff isn't your typical mountain man, he's blond, attractive, and muscular. Elsa has beautiful long, blue hair and is very stunning. Anna and Olaf look great as well, with Anna having red hair and freckles and Olaf being a goofy snow man with a bent carrot nose. This seems like it will have a great cast of characters, beautiful visuals, fantastic songs, and an amazing story that will be an emotional sister story.
Source: http://livinganimationland.blogspot.com ... rozen.html
Awesome! Thanks Sotiris!
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:Overall Kristoff and Elsa have the best character design. Kristoff isn't your typical mountain man, he's blond, attractive, and muscular. Elsa has beautiful long, blue hair and is very stunning. Anna and Olaf look great as well, with Anna having red hair and freckles and Olaf being a goofy snow man with a bent carrot nose.
What is with the red hair kick lately? Ariel is the reigning redhead, and that's never going to change. :P Elsa and blue hair though? Interesting. Kristoff sounds like the typical male love interest.

As far as the snow men, I guess they'll be similar to the hyenas from TLK, in turning on their leader (or creator, in this case).
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Overall Kristoff and Elsa have the best character design. Kristoff isn't your typical mountain man, he's blond, attractive, and muscular. Elsa has beautiful long, blue hair and is very stunning. Anna and Olaf look great as well, with Anna having red hair and freckles and Olaf being a goofy snow man with a bent carrot nose.
What is with the red hair kick lately? Ariel is the reigning redhead, and that's never going to change. :P Elsa and blue hair though? Interesting. Kristoff sounds like the typical male love interest.

As far as the snow men, I guess they'll be similar to the hyenas from TLK, in turning on their leader (or creator, in this case).
Isn't Anna a original red-head in the original fairy tale ? Sorry it's been a while since I've read it.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Story sounds GREAT.

Hope it delivers!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:What is with the red hair kick lately? Ariel is the reigning redhead, and that's never going to change. :P
Not only that but I'm tired of Hollywood using red hair as a metaphor. Every redhead must be feisty, with a fiery personality, unconventional etc.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Not only that but I'm tired of Hollywood using red hair as a metaphor. Every redhead must be feisty, with a fiery personality, unconventional etc.
I think that is one of the reasons Ariel had red hair as well, although they did want to differentiate her from the blonde mermaid from Splash, too. And a blonde mermaid would've been so bland.

Yeah, it’s a dead metaphor at this point. And we know Anna will be of the feisty variety because she’s clearly being set up as the opposite of her cold, blue-haired sister. Elsa is looking to be a very interesting character; not because she’s really that original, but she is unconventional for Disney at least (though they seem to always be behind the times).
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:What is with the red hair kick lately? Ariel is the reigning redhead, and that's never going to change. :P
Not only that but I'm tired of Hollywood using red hair as a metaphor. Every redhead must be feisty, with a fiery personality, unconventional etc.
I know, right? It's like when they make the blonde girl into the flirty, ditzy, bubbly girl...

Or the dark haired/brunette one into the nasty, sarcastic or bitchy woman...

ImageImageImageImage

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:
Wasn't Anna supposed to be blonde? Or am I wrong?
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

The other interesting point is the blue color of Elsa's hair. Surely beautiful, appropriate and original color.

But it seems impossible that blue is her NATURAL hair color.
I really think that, at the beginning of the film, we will see the two (very young and child ?) sisters. Elsa may be blonde, brown or chesnut haired...

I am sure her hair will turn blue when her icy power is unleashed and when she turns into the official snow queen in her palace...

Obvisously, at the the happy end of the movie, all will be back to normal.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

And obviously all merchandise and meet and greets at the park will feature her blue hair - regardless of what happens at the end of the film :lol:
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

So according to this post, both Merida and Anna will join the princesses in the Fantasyland expansion at Disneyland. They also mention her making a "princess debut."

http://fancysomedisneymagic.tumblr.com/ ... ng-awaited

No idea where the information came from, but this Tumblr is generally reliable and insanely popular. Not that that means much. Interesting regardless.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Patrick wrote:So according to this post, both Merida and Anna will join the princesses in the Fantasyland expansion at Disneyland. They also mention her making a "princess debut."

http://fancysomedisneymagic.tumblr.com/ ... ng-awaited

No idea where the information came from, but this Tumblr is generally reliable and insanely popular. Not that that means much. Interesting regardless.
Go Princess Merida and Princess Anna. :D

And hello to the civil war that is going to go on between the Disney fandom.I mean I will just sit back and watch the show as people argue it out if Merida should be in the Disney Princess line.Although I think an excuse for why she is in the line is that Queen Elinor vouched for Merida to join and persuaded that her daughter it would be fun to meet new friends.Its just a fun fandom headcanon theory that is just too juicy to pass up. :lol: