new Pirates 2 trailer

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

new Pirates 2 trailer

Post by PatrickvD »

If it's already being discussed elsewhere on the forum forgive me :P

http://www.jbfans.com/

:jawdrop:
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Cool! Thanks! Good find.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Ooooo....looks awesome! :D More action packed then the original. Wow.
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

That trailer got me pretty excited for the movie. It will surely be an interesting journey to the end of the world.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I love that trailer! That film will be amazing!

Speaking of sailing to the end of the earth, weren't the two rumored titles for POTC3 "World's End" and "Uncharted Waters"? Both would seem probable choices given the content of that trailer.

The cursed pirates look amazing, much better than I'd hoped. I'd been unsure until now.

Anyone know who that guy Jack and Will seem to be fighting is? And did anyone notice what seemed to be the start of a Jack/Elizabeth kiss after Jack said "I love those moments"?

Love Jack's ending line! Johnny Depp's in top form!
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Amazing trailer!

The special effects look amazing! Johnny Depp looks hilarious like he was in the original and Davy Jones is a perfect replacement for Barbossa(even if he looks kinda weird).

Looks out Oscars, you got the winner for best makeup, Best Visuals Effects, Best Set-Design, Best Sound, Best Sound Effects, and perhapes and hopefully more, right here!

Still holding my box office predictions saying it'll gross at least $400 million.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

:o WOW! :o

That was an amazing trailer! Davy Jones looks amazingly real here. All of my worries about the film were just relieved right here! This was already my most anticipated movie of the year, but this trailer sealed it.

And BTW, (spoiler, highlight to read) Davy Jones won't truly be a replacement to Barbossa. Barbossa is planned to come back at the end of DMC and be a main villain throughout the 3rd movie.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Here's the downloadable links for that trailer:

http://progressive.playstream.com/scree ... 07_b23.mov (Medium - 23 MB)
http://progressive.playstream.com/scree ... 07_b24.mov (Large - 42.4 MB)

High Definition:
http://progressive.playstream.com/scree ... 07_b2d.mov (480p - 57.7 MB)
http://progressive.playstream.com/scree ... 07_b2e.mov (720p - 119 MB)
http://progressive.playstream.com/scree ... 07_b2f.mov (1080p - 159 MB)

Enjoy

Edit PS: The trailer at www.jbfans.com is 42.4 MB, so it should be the same as these ones (with size comparison).
Last edited by Hogi Bear on Tue May 02, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
bambifan56
Gold Classic Collection

Post by bambifan56 »

Almost looks as good as the first one...Maybe better..
"There is another who is over us all, over us and over man"

-Bambi (Novel)
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Okay, one thing:

WHEN DO THE DAMN TICKETS GO ON SALE?! :D :D :D
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Am I the only one who's turned off by the sea creatures? Yes, it was always a fantasy-type film, but sea monsters are a bit out there. None the less, the rest looks sweet. Depp seems to have delivered yet again! I'll be checking this one out, no doubt.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well regular readers will know my opinion of the first film (could have been a good film if it was an hour or so shorter) so... well, if you think my opinion of the trailer will offend... Look away now

Its all the same as the first film isn't it. Replace Cursed Coin with Davy Jones' Locker, Undead Pirates with Sea Creature Pirates and British Navy with Natives and... hey presto Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

*sigh* At least the sequels do a "flip-flop".

There better be a damn good twist in the chest, or else...

I'll also add another *sigh*, as it looks like somebody's gotten carried away with the CGI effects again.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

You grumpy old man you, Netty! :p

Loved the original, love the look of the trailer. Exactly the same as the original? Couldn't care less given how much I enjoyed that film.

Sometimes an episodic adventure is what the brain cries out for. Yes it pretty much rehashes some of the original plot elements, but then again, that could be the trailer. Market to the bits that people liked about the first film. Regardless, some of the best movie sequels have pretty much played a variation on a theme: the Indiana Jones films, Back to the Future, every Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th...didn't stop them from being a bit of fun to watch.

Yes, they've substituted several key elements for similar ones, but most films are variations of the same 32 stories that replace the same key elements. You make this same argument with the Pixar films, and I agree - but only to a certain extent. By your rationale, one would assume that every character and the setting would have to be replaced to make it truly original. I sumbit that a sequel MUST recall the first film on some of these basic levels, as it is all part of a narative journey that makes a connection with the audience.

I think at some point one has to let the cynicism go and just roll with it. PotC2, as derivative as it may seem, will undoubtedly be one of the most fun and action-packed films to roll out of the studio in years. My only concern is that Jack Sparrow is too prominent a character this time around. Depp stole every scene he was in the first time around, but the 'hero' of the first film was technically Bloom. While it might be marketing hype again, Depp's at centre stage this time round and I wonder if the delightful Jack Sparrow will become the annoying Jack Sparrow if he is given more screen time.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well just so I'm not all negative Davy Jones is a wonderful imagnative design and creation.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

2099net wrote:Well just so I'm not all negative Davy Jones is a wonderful imagnative design and creation.
See what you did there? You turned your frown upside down.

:( ---> :)

Of course, the same effect could be achieved through standing on one's head, and then you'd probably die after a while.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Loomis wrote: Sometimes an episodic adventure is what the brain cries out for. Yes it pretty much rehashes some of the original plot elements, but then again, that could be the trailer. Market to the bits that people liked about the first film. Regardless, some of the best movie sequels have pretty much played a variation on a theme: the Indiana Jones films, Back to the Future, every Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th...didn't stop them from being a bit of fun to watch.
Well it's interesting that you yourself use the word "episodic" (presumably when addressing PotC 1) because that the main problem. It was just overlong, and commited one of the cardinal sins of a film. It repeated itself. There's no reason to watch PotC twice, because by seing it once, you've already seen it twice.

Sequels of course are retreads of the original. However, both the Indiana Jones and Back To The Future sequels offered more than the first films. Especially Back To The Future which attempted in turn some hard paradox sci-fi followed by an emotional finale which delt with the characters more than the plot. The same was true of Spider-Man 2 - it was the emotional growth and storyline that was important, which is why I have my doubts about a (reportedly) super-villain filled Spider-Man 3. I'll ignore the Friday 13th reference, because the first was hardly an inspiration of originality to begin with.

Of course, you can't tell everything from the trailers or rumours. Cars looks poor but could still be an absolute classic :P (I am actually open to that concept). And Lucas made The Phantom Menace appear to be the film of the decade in it's trailer.

As I said... I hope there's one heck of a twist in that chest when it does open, or else the filmmakers may as well not have bothered.
Yes, they've substituted several key elements for similar ones, but most films are variations of the same 32 stories that replace the same key elements. You make this same argument with the Pixar films, and I agree - but only to a certain extent. By your rationale, one would assume that every character and the setting would have to be replaced to make it truly original. I sumbit that a sequel MUST recall the first film on some of these basic levels, as it is all part of a narative journey that makes a connection with the audience.
Well, part of it comes down to my dislike of hype, so it is bias and prejudice. I'll admit that quite openly. But some of the very people who bitch and moan about the cheapquels seem to be "up for" PotC2 from their comments in this thread, or previous threads. I've not seen anything that puts this creatively above a cheapquel either in the trailer or in print, or to justify the hype to be honest. At least most cheapquels attempted to spin the formula a bit.

Nobody is saying a sequel can't have the same characters, or some of the same elements as the original - to ditch the lot would be stupid.

Doctor Who (something most people know I like a lot) made corridor running an artform they had so much practice. It even basically remade the same Dalek story three times. But these generally aren't the stories that stand out and are remembered. They are the fillers, and even then inbetween all the corridor running, most had a germ of a fresh, original idea hidden within them somewhere, even if it wasn't financially or artistically realised.

If you're only going to make three movies, you have more responsibility to make them distinct from each other than if your making a weekly TV series for a number of years.

That's why I'm so against PotC 2 from what I can see. They have more money than most filmmakers can dream of - 10-20 Garden States or Serintys, Kiss Kiss Bang Bangs or Brokeback Mountains could be made for the price. And for all the money, the effort to tell a new story seems to be minimal. What would you rather see? I expensive "rehash" or ten or more films with an independent "mentality" ?

I do like Davy Jones. I think the design shows a lot of imagination and he looks to be the special effects creation of the past few years. But do we really need a small fortune spent on giving him a similar mutated crew, when the first film was a skeleton captain and a similar crew?

I get the impression the effects are coming before the story. Instead of asking "what would the characters do next?" they've asked "what cool effects can we do this time?"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

You forgot to mention that Depp's Jack Sparrow is such a fantastic character that after 2 hours millions of viewers didn't want it to end. It's all fun fun fun! And the sequel looks to have more of that fun.

fun fun

good summer popcorn fun. These flicks are not about mindblowing stories and twists, it's all just swashbuckling fun :)

fun fun fun
goof ball
Limited Issue

Post by goof ball »

I can't wait for this movie. It is my most anticipated film of 2006. I am a little worride that there might be too much computer graphics.
Romans 6:23