Tales of Earthsea (2009) Discussion & Trailers

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Tales of Earthsea (2009) Discussion & Trailers

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

This is the place to discuss the new Ghibli movie Tales of Earthsea adapted from the third book in the "Earthsea" cycle.

Japanese Trailers:

Trailer 1: http://www.ghibli.jp/25trailer/

Trailer 2: http://www.ghibli.jp/26trailer/

From the trailers, this movie looks exceptional. Not to the standards of Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, or Howl's Movie Castle, but I think it looks pretty good. It is too bad that the author of the "Earthsea" Cycle did NOT think that this was even her movie, just a movie with her characters names in it. And because of a series' license to the 2004 Sci-Fi Network Mini-Series, this movie will not be released to the U.S. audience until 2009. According to Wikipedia.com, the movie grossed more than $900,000,000 and pushed the Box Office smash-hit Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest to the #2 spot.

For more info go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from ... Box_Office.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

That's $900 million YEN, the equivelant of almost $8 million US dollars. It pushed Pirates to number 2... in Japan only. It is expected to become one of the highest grossing films of all time in Japan, but I don't expect it to have the same kind of impact in the states or elsewhere in Europe. Anime is a huge medium, but theatrical releases, for whatever reason, don't typically make that much money here. From the art, I think Earthsea looks great and am sad that Sci Fi channel is in part responsible for the delay in it's release. I love Studio Ghibli films and am curious to see how Myazaki's son's work differs from his own. Ursula K. LeGuin, the author, was unhappy with how much they changed the story of her book, but apparently liked the film itself. I hope this gets a theatrical release here, just because I greatly enjoyed seeing "Spirited Away" and "How's Moving Castle" in theaters. I'm sure Disney will assemble a great voice cast. They always do.

P.S: My brother owns the Sci Fi movie. I never knew they were related. I'll try to watch it this weekend.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

I'm so happy Disney don't have longer the rights to bring Ghibli-movies out in Germany. When Disney starts the deal with Ghibli they have issued the movies in many countries- but not in Germany. There exist not one german Disney-issued Ghibli movie. Now there is another publisher, which makes great digipacks even of movies which were not released in America or in other countries just subbed, like "Only Yesterday"- and of course it's a big advantage that we get "Gedo Senki" already next year on DVD! YIPPPPIEEE!

For example- They look all in that way
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

From Nausicaa.net:
July 8, 2007 "Tales from Earthsea" English Cast

Sparrowhawk (aka Ged) - Timothy Dalton
Cob - Willem Dafoe
Arren - Matt Levin
Hare - Cheech Marin
Tenar - Mariska Hargitay
Therru - Blaire Restaneo
Plus various additional voices

The English dub is included on the Japanese DVD but the credits are not listed.

A limited release in subbed and dubbed form by Optimum is taking place in the UK starting August 3
I can't wait for this to be played in the US.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
skyler888
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skyler888 »

Scamander wrote:I'm so happy Disney don't have longer the rights to bring Ghibli-movies out in Germany. When Disney starts the deal with Ghibli they have issued the movies in many countries- but not in Germany. There exist not one german Disney-issued Ghibli movie. Now there is another publisher, which makes great digipacks even of movies which were not released in America or in other countries just subbed, like "Only Yesterday"- and of course it's a big advantage that we get "Gedo Senki" already next year on DVD! YIPPPPIEEE!

OMG!
:o

Thats amazing!
and Porco is one of my favorite movies too!!

Is the movie only dubbed in german?
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Going to see it in cinema August 3rd, it has a limited theatrical release in the UK, I can't wait!
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

I finally watched the English dub yesterday, and again I must say I much preferred the Japanese version. But I do have one question...

Is the character of Cob supposed to be a man? In the Japanese version Cob looked and sounded very much like a woman, but in the English dub they cast a male actor for the role. I was really confused by it. In the subtitles to the Japanese version Cob was once referred to as "he", but I automatically thought that was a typo. Wasn't it?
mcduck
Limited Issue

Post by mcduck »

Scamander wrote:I'm so happy Disney don't have longer the rights to bring Ghibli-movies out in Germany. When Disney starts the deal with Ghibli they have issued the movies in many countries- but not in Germany. There exist not one german Disney-issued Ghibli movie. Now there is another publisher, which makes great digipacks even of movies which were not released in America or in other countries just subbed, like "Only Yesterday"- and of course it's a big advantage that we get "Gedo Senki" already next year on DVD! YIPPPPIEEE!

Hey that looks great, any chance to find this releases in UK (I do not ask for the US, that would be way too much wishful though) I mean in a way of any place selling this releases... It looks just as it suppose to for this type of movies.
For your reference and records my native language is Spanish.
FOREVER FIESTY
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I had already made a thread on this

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... s+earthsea

There are also a couple of other similar threads.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

The movie is disappointing but only compared to Takahata and Miyazaki's past movies--it's like many of the scenes are taken from his fgather's movies but without the emotional resonance...

That said I'll be excited to add it to my collection (but come on Disney--hurry up and fucking release Only Yesterday, Takahata's masterpiece)

E
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

Hey guys, I hate to be a real party pooper or anything, but PLEASE remember (for those of you who have already seen this film) that all of us here in the US haven't seen the film yet (due to copyrights with the SciFi movie... :x ) and it won't come to theaters/DVD until (I believe..correct me if I'm wrong) 2009 at the earliest. So PLEASE don't post visible spoilers (if you do want to post them, as usual post them in white. like this. :)

I know I'm certainly eager to see this film. So far, every Studio Ghibli film I've seen, I've instantly fallen in love with (unfortunately, for my wallet!! :P ) But I can tell you guys one thing: If Disney acts like complete idiots and doesn't release the film by January 2011, I will be the first person in line to purchase the DVD in Japan. (I'm planning on going to Japan for my Study Abroad semester that's fixed in my 4th year of my 5 year program at my college). :D

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

I don't think Disney is going to release Only Yesterday on R1 DVD. It hasn't even been dubbed yet. The British Only Yesterday DVD is very good so buy that one. Earthsea is the worst of the Ghibli films. The animation is excellent but the story is mediocre when compared to the other Ghibli films.
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

I'd put Cat Returns below it (though it's a cute movie) I Can Hear the Ocean I migth actually put above it (though I have a soft spot for it)

I still think Disney will release Yesterday at some point--it doesn't need a dub. Lasseter hosted a showing of it last year on Turner Classic Movies so at least he's aware of the thing (and said it was a personal favorite) maybe he can muscle in on them to just church it out even if it has no special features...
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Little Red Henski wrote:The animation is excellent but the story is mediocre when compared to the other Ghibli films.
Didn't it receive a Japanese "razzie-like" award or something like that? Apparently it received poor reviews in Japan.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

saw it in Japanese, yet to see it in english.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

EricMontreal22 wrote:I'd put Cat Returns below it (though it's a cute movie) I Can Hear the Ocean I migth actually put above it (though I have a soft spot for it)
What's wrong with The Cat Returns? It's one of my favorite Ghibli movies and the Baron is one of my favorite animated characters ever, right up there with Gurgi. Of course, I do have different tastes than a lot of you so I may be the only one who likes this movie this much.
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

I'd be surprised if Earthsea got a Razzie--certainlyt hat's extreme. It did divide critics sharply but did get a number of good reviews--mroe than a number. I hate to say a large part of me wonders what it coulda been if Miyazaki (Hayao :P ) had made it as originally intended...

I love Cat Returns! Least favorite Ghibli film is hardly an insult in my book. It just feels very slight compared to Whisper of the Heart or even other more children fantasy type works liek Kiki's

E
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

UK DVD Release Date: November 26th

No reason not to import if you have the means to play it, of course you could just import the Japanese version now, it has English audio and subtitles, not on the special features though, I'm not certain if Earthsea will get the 2-Disc treatment here in the UK like Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Grave of the Fireflies did
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

SFX gave this a mixed review. As an Earthsea adaptation it failed, and as a movie it sort of fails, but they gave it props for trying hard.

I believe it will be a 2 disc set when released on DVD over here.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database