Question about voice acting

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Question about voice acting

Post by Kenai »

This goes for both Disney animated movies and animated shows.

Out of curiosity, where exactly do the celebrities/voice artists record their dialogue? Does it range from different studio locations or are they all done at Disney's studios?
Razor Roman

Post by Razor Roman »

I would say it varies depending upon the needs of the production and the talent. I'm sure most of the stuff for Disney is recorded in a recording studio either at the disney studios, or somewhere in the LA area, but if they are using talent from another area, they might record it there - one example is when Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella were doing The Lion King they were performing on Broadway in Guys and Dolls, so they did their recording in a studio in New York.
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Ah, that I didin't know. Awesome.
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

Depends on where the actors are located. Like in Lion King, the one scene before the stampede, where Scar & Simba have the conversation. The voice of Simba (Jonathan Taylor Thomas) & Scar (Jeremy Irons) were on opposite sides of the country!

Sometimes if the actors are far away, like in this case, they will either go to a local recording studio, record their dialogue there & send it to where the film is being made, or do it over the phone with a high quality audio signal.
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

FantasiaMan wrote: or do it over the phone with a high quality audio signal.
Ah really? Have any animated features done by Disney had their diallogue done this way?
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

Ah really? Have any animated features done by Disney had their dialogue done this way?
None that I know of. Most animated tv shows use this, including Simpsons & Futurama, but Disney has the $ to to do whatever they want.
Razor Roman

Post by Razor Roman »

its probably over an ISDN connection or some other digital connection so that the audio is high quality
Finchx0rz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Finchx0rz »

Kenai wrote:
FantasiaMan wrote: or do it over the phone with a high quality audio signal.
Ah really? Have any animated features done by Disney had their diallogue done this way?
IIRC, an old Disney Adventures article said that Matthew Broderick recorded a few lines this way for <i>The Lion King</i>.
<a href="http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/" target="_blank">Got a question? Ask Google first.</a>