Favorite Christmas Carols/Songs

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Favorite Christmas Carols/Songs

Post by Simba3 »

Hey everyone. Right now I am listening to some Christmas music, one of the very best things about this time of the year. I love Christmas music and I'm sure a lot of you here do to. What are your favorite Christmas carols or songs?

Some of mine are:
Oh Holy Night (especially Christina Aguilera's version)
Carol of the Bells (especially performed by the Trans Siberian Orchestra)
All I Want For Christmas Is You (by Mariah Carey)
The First Noel (especially N'Sync's version ... DON'T laugh!)
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
What Child Is This
I Wonder as I Wander
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Angels We Have Heard On High
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
Miss Jo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Jo »

I've always been partial to The First Noël and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. It's not uncommon for me to hear them playing in my head in the middle of summer.
"I don't get high on drugs; I get high on Disney."
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

-"I want a hippopatimus for Christmas"

-"Put One foot in front of the other" (and just about every other song from Santa Claus is Comming to Town and the Rankin/Bass specials)

-"Jolly Dear Old Sandy Claws"(or whatever the graveyard music is) from Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland

-March of the Wooden Toy Soldiers from Babes in Toyland

-Slieghride

-"Traks in the Snow" from Country Bear Christmas Special
Jasmine1022
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jasmine1022 »

Grandma got run over by a reindeer!!

silver bells....

and "the christmas shoes". that song is soooo sad! :cry:
davina
Gold Classic Collection

Post by davina »

My absolute favorite Christmas song is "Winter Wonderland". Last year my friend gave me a trio of snowmen that played that song. I love it.
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

Do they know its christmas time (Band Aid)

Christmas Wrapping song (the Waitresses)

Last Christmas (Wham!)
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Favorite Christmas Carols/Songs

Post by Escapay »

Simba3 wrote: The First Noel (especially N'Sync's version ... DON'T laugh!)
I think crying would be more appropriate. :P

Anyways...

Christmas songs I love:

Carpenters: Christmas Collection - both albums (Christmas Portrait and An Old-Fashioned Christmas) get a lot of play from me during the holiday season.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - my absolute favorite Christmas song ever, and yet I've never seen the film it originated from, Meet Me in St. Louis.

Merry Christmas, Darling

Christmas Canon in D - don't know what the official name of this song is, but it's the one with the children's choir and the Christmasy version of Canon in D. I normally don't like children's voices when they sing unless it's choirs like this.

O Holy Night - especially love the Josh Groban version, nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it.

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Santa Baby - okay, you guys can laugh.

Christmas songs I can't stand to hear and if I had it my way, they'd ban it from radio waves forever:

All I Want For Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey) - ugh, I hate this song. They overplay it on the radio, in movies, and on TV. This one year in high school, rather than play a medley of Christmas songs on the last day before winter break, all that blasted on the PA system and in the cafeterias was this damn song. Seven whole hours of listening to that asinine song over and over again. I couldn't escape from it because it was always on in the hallway, always on in the cafeterias, and while it wasn't on in the classrooms, you could still hear it from the hallway, despite other people's best efforts of playing other Christmas CDs on a stereo or the teacher's computer. Hate it, hate it, hate it. And of course, now I'm gonna get the "That's stupid, how can you hate it just because they play it a lot?" replies. Well, it's a lot more than the overplaying, it's the simple fact that I just cannot stand the way Mariah Carey sings this song. She's a good singer, not necessarily my cup of tea, but a good one, but I don't like the way it's sung, and now at holiday karaoke bars, if someone ever attempts this, they do so in a very diva-like fashion, either trying to imitate her or think they're doing better. It nearly ruined Love Actually for me, and I love that film.

Christmas Shoes - yes, it's a beatiful story and a touching holiday TV movie with Rob Lowe, but I honestly cannot stomach this song. If I hear it, I just *cringe* and grind my teeth. Yeah, there's not much to say about this the way there is about the Mariah Carey song, but that's because I find the song so painful to hear on the radio.

Carol of the Bells - I have Home Alone to blame for this. Thanks to that film, I found myself associating the song with a message of "Have a Merry Christmas or we'll kill you!!!". Deranged as that sounds, that's why I can't stand the song.

Jingle Bell Rock - pick a version, any version. Just cannot stand listening to it. It's like a form of audio torture.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

Mr. Hankey: The Christmas Poo

Best Christmas song ever!!!
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

great fun idea for a topic....

i have MANY fav xmas songs...

but to name a few:

You Make It Feel Like Christmas from Neil Diamond

Snoopy & The Red Baron Christmas by Royal Guardsmen

Christmas Cannon by Trans Siberian Orchestra (currently my default ringer on my celly)

Christmas Bride by Ray Conniff Singers

Deck the Halls from Percy Faith (It plays at the theme parks!)

Mele Kalikimaka - obviously Jimmy Buffets version is the best one of all

Believe - Josh Groban- who doesnt love The Polar Express??

Ho Ho Ho & A Bottle of Rum by Jimmy Buffett- my current myspace profile song to go along w/ my whole Christmas in the Caribbean layout theme...

Thankful Heart from Muppet Christmas Carol

Christmas Vacation from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
RyougaLolakie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RyougaLolakie »

Escapay, since you like "Santa Baby" song, which version do you like most? Rosemary Clooney's or Madonna's? I like both of them, but I prefer Madonna's version more than Clooney's version. Of course, I won't laugh at you. :P :wink:

Anyways, here's some of the christmas songs I loved:

Have A Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives - The one and only song by the legendary celebrity. Which reminds me, I also loved Rankin/Bass's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Rankin/Bass's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Soundtrack - Definately my favorite holiday soundtrack of all-time on this holiday season. Although I don't have that soundtrack, but I found it at Wal-Mart so if I have time, I'll go there and buy it.

You're the Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Thurl Ravenscroft - Yes, Thurl Ravenscroft is a genius and I love CJ's version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". It kinda makes me want to watch that special more than Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. :)

Twas the Night Before Christmas by Cliff Edwards - Technically not a christmas song but more of a story-telling version by the great man who voiced as Jiminy Cricket. :P

Pretty Paper by Roy Orbison - This is the only song I've ever listened to it after the holidays. :roll:

The First Noel by Andy Williams - This song gives me into tears every time I hear it.

Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms - Sorry Escapay, I just had to do it. I love that song! :oops:

All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth by Spike Jones - The best holiday song ever made in the 1940's.

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas by Bing Crosby

Do They Know Its Christmas by BANDAID

The Chrstmas Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) by Alvin and the Chipmunks

Frosty the Snowman by Jimmy Durante

Santa Claus is Coming To Town by The Beach Boys.

Happy Holiday (Happy Holidays to You - I don't know who sang it, but it was sung by the choir of women with great holiday tuning. It goes like this "Happy Holiday...Happy Holiday...While the Merry Bells Keep Ringing...Happy Holiday to You". And no, it's not sung by Andy Williams (and I love that version too).

Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano

White Christmas by The Drifters

Winter Wonderland by Darlene Love

There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays by Perry Como

We Need A Little Christmas by Percy Faith Chorus
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

RyougaLolakie wrote:Escapay, since you like "Santa Baby" song, which version do you like most? Rosemary Clooney's or Madonna's? I like both of them, but I prefer Madonna's version more than Clooney's version. Of course, I won't laugh at you. :P :wink:
The original by Eartha Kitt is probably my favorite, actually, but I do like the other two as well.
RyougaLolakie wrote:Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms - Sorry Escapay, I just had to do it. I love that song! :oops:
Hehe, you're forgiven, you didn't laugh at my Santa Baby guilty pleasure.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Santa Baby doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure, it's a good Christmas song. I forgot it on my list but it is definately one of my favorites.
Finchx0rz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Finchx0rz »

I love Wham!'s "Last Christmas" so much I listen to it year-round. :oops:
<a href="http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/" target="_blank">Got a question? Ask Google first.</a>
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Simba3 wrote:Santa Baby doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure, it's a good Christmas song. I forgot it on my list but it is definately one of my favorites.
When it's a guy loving a song about a woman needling her significant other into getting her lavish and expensive things, it's a guilty pleasure! :lol:

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

Some of mine would be:
I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause by Reba McEntire
Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer by Burl Ives
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer by Elmo & Patsy
You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Thurl Ravenscroft
The Chrstmas Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) by Alvin and the Chipmunks
Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Peggy Lee
It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas by Bing Crosby
Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt
Rocking Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Escapay wrote:
Simba3 wrote:Santa Baby doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure, it's a good Christmas song. I forgot it on my list but it is definately one of my favorites.
When it's a guy loving a song about a woman needling her significant other into getting her lavish and expensive things, it's a guilty pleasure! :lol:

Escapay
Um, ok... Point taken! :lol:
Leonia
Special Edition

Re: Favorite Christmas Carols/Songs

Post by Leonia »

Everything from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra :D, but here are my faves from TSO:

An Angel Came Down
A Mad Russian's Christmas
Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 (probably TSO's most famous, it's Carol of the Bells done rock)
Good King Joy
Promises to Keep
An Angel Returned
The March of the Kings/Hark the Herald Angel
Christmas Canon
The Music Box
An Angel's Share
Faith Noel
The Lost Christmas Eve
Queen of the Winter Night
Wish Liszt (Toy Shop Madness)
What Child is This?
Christmas Canon Rock

Darren Hayes' cover of "Last Christmas". Sorry, but I just don't like the original from Wham!.

Clay Aiken's version of "The First Noel".

Bob River's "12 Pains of Christmas", because it's true and funny.

Three Stooges' "Jingle Bells Drag".

"Carol of the Bells" from Home Alone.

John William's "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" from Home Alone 2.

Weird Al Yankovic's "Christmas at Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went Crazy". I already know I'm pretty demented.

"It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" from Home Alone 2.

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" from...a Staples commercial I saw a long time ago. It was a back-to-school commercial, and I heard this in August when I was about seven.
Simba3 wrote: Christmas Canon in D - don't know what the official name of this song is, but it's the one with the children's choir and the Christmasy version of Canon in D. I normally don't like children's voices when they sing unless it's choirs like this.
It's Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Canon" from their album "The Christmas Attic".
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch
Santa Baby
Blue Christmas
Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Holly Jolly Christmas
Jingle Bell Rock
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Nuttin' For Christmas
I Want a Hippopatomus For Christmas
Santa Claus is Coming To Town
Making Christmas
As Long As There's Christmas
Toyland
Believe
Santa Claus Is Pagan Too
It Feels Like Christmas (from Muppet Christmas Carol)
The Nutrcracker (most of it anyways)
Baby It's Cold Outside (Brian Setzer and Gwen Stefani version is my favorite)
Run Run Ruldolph
Happy Christmas
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I LOVE Christmas songs, but I particularly love Harry Connick Jr.'s first Christmas Album, "When My Heart Finds Christmas," the soundtrack to the live action "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," and the soundtrack to "Elf," which I still need to get. I currently have "Baby, It's Cold Outside" from the Elf soundtrack playing on my My Space page. Zooey Deschanel has an amazing singing voice, and so does Leon Redbone, of course, ha. I'm normally not that into Zooey, but she was a major hottie in "Elf."

Oh, and I always loved "We Three Kings" as a kid. It's still hauntingly cool. And I love funny Christmas songs, from "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" to Porky Pig singing "Blue Christmas."

And I love Christmas comedy bits on the radio, like the all time classic with Cheech and Chong talking about Santa Claus! Man, I LOVE that one!!!
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

"Carol of the Bells" performed by Trans-Siberian Orchestra is indeed amazing. The carol itself is my favorite (it sounds almost haunting at times) and it's good in almost any version. It's especially pretty when played with actual, erm, bells.
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.