okay...time for very honest opinions...

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
QueenRahel
Gold Classic Collection

okay...time for very honest opinions...

Post by QueenRahel »

alright...i am from orlando, fl...the mecca of amusement parks and of course, WDW...i have always wanted to travel to one of the other disney parks and never have, because of how expensive it is to travel...i just dont want to save up a ton of money to go to cali, or paris, or hong kong to visit their disney to just be disappointed...thinking i spent wayyy to much money when my disney here in orlando was better anyways...now...be honest....are any of the other parks worth saving up to go to now when im in college (i do really want to see them) when i am born and raised here in orlando??? what are your opinions of the other parks in general or compared to the other disney parks?? :?: thank u all for your honesty :D (and of course we all still love disney in the end)
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

Well I love Disneyland Paris, and I don't really relish the thought of travelling all the way to the US when I've got a Disney park close by. Most of the attractions I want to see are at Paris, so I'm just not that interested in going anywhere else. If I were you, and you have a Disney park close by, I'd just make use of that - if at a later date you do travel anywhere near the others, pay em a visit.
Left. Waiting for account to be deleted.
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

I've only been to Orlando and Paris and I'd say Orlando was about a million times better. Paris does have a certain charm, but to travel from the US to see it seems a bit too much. I'm from the UK so it's my 'local' Disney park and the journey's pretty short, but I'm not sure I could recommend it to you.
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

I really think Disneyland Paris is under rated, and it annoys me all the negative press it gets and put downs. Orlando is a million times better? A bit of VAT there I think.
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

As an overall experience, yes. Firstly, it has Epcot, Animal Kingdom, the water parks... it's huge! I did admit that Paris has a quaint little charm, it feels quite cosy, but I'd pick Florida over it any day.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

As much as I love Hong Kong Disneyland, and it is also my closest and cheapest to travel to, it is going to pale in comparison to Florida's WDW. Sure, there are a few unique things there, but many of these can already be found in Florida.

However, Paris, Tokyo and California are completely different stories.

With Tokyo, aside from being slightly different to start with and much larger, you have an entirely unique secondary park called DisneySea. From what I understand, this is worth the trip alone. Both parks have many unique rides and shows, and if you are a Disney fanatic, I would imagine that a trip to Tokyo is a must at some stage. However, if money is an issue, Japan can be very expensive to stay in. Paris looks to be quite beautiful, especially the unique castle (complete with dragon), and has its own 'Disney Studios' style park. Also their 'Discoveryland', the equivalent of Tomorrowland, is done in a Jules Verne style 'retro future' fashion, and Space Mountain looks amazing. It also has an inversion and a loop.

However, California is one I can speak a little bit more about as I have been there a couple of times.

Aside from having Disney's California Adventure - which hosts A Bug's Land; Monsters Inc and several other attractions not found in Florida - you'll also find some fairly major attractions in Disneyland that you won't find in Florida. Huge examples include Indiana Jones (which in my humble opinion is worth the trip alone); the Matterhorn; and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. A full list is provided in the link below.

To me, the most exciting thing about being in California is that it is the original park. I am yet to visit WDW (I will next year), but I also really looking forward to revisting California simply because of the nostalgic way it makes me feel.

I know that linking to other forums is generally frowned-upon, but this thread over on MiceChat is absolutely brilliant.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30900

Entitled 'DLR Guide for WDW Vets', it is going to have absolutely everything you want to know about visiting DLR if you have already been to WDW several times, and what differences/similarities you can expect.

Ignoring everything else I've just said, the other reason to visit each of those Disney parks is because of the cities they are in. Hong Kong is a terrific place to visit at any time, and there is stacks to do in Souther California. Paris is a city I hope to visit one day, and Tokyo looks wild.

Hope some of that helped.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Jeffel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeffel »

I'd love to go to the California park. Something I must do someday. Tokyo and Hong Kong I know very little about but I find it hard to imagince the atmosphere will be the same, they just don;t seem like very Disney-esque cities like the American ones or Paris.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Jeffel wrote:I'd love to go to the California park. Something I must do someday. Tokyo and Hong Kong I know very little about but I find it hard to imagince the atmosphere will be the same, they just don;t seem like very Disney-esque cities like the American ones or Paris.
Tokyo is one of the most visited theme parks in the world, with DisneySea just behind it. The Cult of Disney is HUGE in Japan.

Hong Kong is working hard to sell Disney to the locals. Admittedly, the park is smaller and probably has very little to do for Disney park veterans, but it is still a quality Disney production all the way.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I have to say I was totally disappointed with WDW for a couple of reasons.

1) People in Florida - both inside and outside the park are just not nearly as friendly as California.

2) So many of the rides were just way shorter and paled to their Disneyland counterparts - Pirates being the best example.

That being said I was absolutely wowed by Animal Kingdom as much as I was disappointedd by MGM and to a certain extent Epcot.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Queen Rachel, I visit Disney World at least once a year. I visited Disneyland back in 2003 and I have to say as someone used to Disney World, I was shocked at how small Disneyland was. Sleeping Beauty's Castle appears to be about 2/3 the size of Cinderella's Castle. The Matterhorn was really neat to see, but Disney World now has Everest, which is a much bigger and grander glacial mountain coaster. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye was amazing and in my opinion, better than Dinosaur, but it is the same ride technology. One of the things Disneyland has on the Magic Kingdom is that their Fantasyland was much better. Not only in the design (actual buildings instead of rides under awnings), but they still have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, as well as some rides Disney World never had such as Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, and Story Book Land. They also have a much better Toontown, but MK's Tomorrowland, Frontierland, and in some ways Adventureland are better than Disneyland's.

As for California Adventure, there isn't much that they have that the other WDW parks lack. Epcot got their best ride, Soarin'. There is a water raft ride, but it's not much better than Kali River Rapids in the Animal Kingdom. The new Monster's Inc. attraction is rumored to be placed somehwere in Disney/MGM Studios sometime within the next 4 years. The California Screamin is neat, but the main thrill is the magnetic launch, which the Studios uses in Rock N' Rollercoaster, which is a better roller coaster overall. Paradise Pier has a lot of neat circular rides with no real Disney tie-ins, but they aren't worth a trip out West just to see them and they have a coaster much like Primevil Whirl at AK.

So in the end, I would say now is not the best time to spend a lot of money on a trip to another Disney park when you are so close to the biggest. Disneyland is really neat to see. I also am in college and I would love to get back out there sometime soon, but I wouldn't trade a trip to Disney World for a trip to Disneyland. I think you'll have plenty of time to visit another Disney resort after you graduate. I plan on doing it, too.
QueenRahel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by QueenRahel »

okay...thanks for all info 8) , but i feel loomis post from the other source is so partial to dlca b/c he is from there and has only had one trip to wdw...i do think the rides they have there and do not offer at wdw sound great...but they are only a few thrill rides at dlca and for big thrills i can visit universal/ioa here in orlando...i havent really heard much of disneysea in tokyo and will do more research on tokyo b/c if i have a big trip i might choose that one...seems more my style...i do want to visit dlca at some point b/c i didnt know about rides going underground...which sounds really cool b/c in florida u dig 3 feet and hit water and we really dont have underground anything as far as rides...so that would make for a unique experience...and i have yet to go on everest but i heard its awesome and probably similar to the matterhorn...any feedback on comparing the two rides??? has anyone been to the tokyo disneys??? thx again :D
QueenRahel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by QueenRahel »

ohhhhhhhhhh....and to mr.toad people are friendly as hell in florida!!! u must have only spoken to all of the senile old farts we have here....mean old grumps everywhere.....but they dont count cause they are not FLORIDIANS...just snow birds :lol:
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Well, I believe you HAVE to visit Disneyland some point in your life. As an actual resort, WDW is obviously much better, but if you're to seperate the parks themselves, none of the parks at WDW can match to Disneyland. It has more rides(highlights only Disneyland has include Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as already mentioned), most of them done much better(Pirates, like Toad said, is the best example) and just overall atmosphere and the fact it's the park that has started it all, makes it a must see for any Disney fan. I might be a little biased as I've been there uncountable times as I use to live in California, and have really only been to WDW once, but it's truely an experience like no other that you have to try sometime. I've actually never have left North America, so no comment on the other parks. :P
Mr. Toad wrote:I have to say I was totally disappointed with WDW for a couple of reasons.

1) People in Florida - both inside and outside the park are just not nearly as friendly as California.

That being said I was absolutely wowed by Animal Kingdom as much as I was disappointedd by MGM and to a certain extent Epcot.
1. You must not go to California outside of Disneyland much. Having lived in California for 12 years, and make a trip each year since I moved, I can safetly say a lot of people there aren't exactly friendly(unless, you're of course, at Disneyland). People in Florida I felt were friendlier.

2. You've got to be kidding. :P How one can be "wowed" by Animal Kingdom, but disappointed by Epcot and MGM is beyond me.
darth_deetoo
Special Edition

Post by darth_deetoo »

Jeffel wrote:As an overall experience, yes. Firstly, it has Epcot, Animal Kingdom, the water parks... it's huge! I did admit that Paris has a quaint little charm, it feels quite cosy, but I'd pick Florida over it any day.
So you're basically putting Disneyland Paris down because it doesn't have the other parks around it. I pretty much said that there was little point in travelling just for the Disneyland Park. However, if all you are interested in is the Disneyland Park, I don't think there's much comparison. From what I understand DLRP has many attractions which are just as good or better as it's Florida counterpart.

However, if I lived nearer Florida, I can't say as their would be much attraction in visiting. But as someone who lives nearer Paris, I find DLRP to be a magical place, and as someone who's visited twice and is preparing for a return visit next month, it winds me up a bit when DLRP is put down so much, and doesn't get the attention it deserves.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I have to reiterate what others have said here.

Disneyland compared to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando alone, wins. They have rides exclusive to them - Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland, the Matterhorn, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, etc...

Also, you haven't lived until you've seen the beautiful outside clockwork facade of It's A Small World in Disneyland. The Orlando version simply doesn't compare.

The weather is different also, of course. I can't tell you the feeling in my heart early one morning as I was the first person into Disneyland...hopped on the train to Toontown and had Mickey waiting there to greet me - with nobody else in sight! The sun was just coming up and there was dew on the plants.....the whole atmosphere made me cry.

Obviously I hold a very special part of my heart for Disneyland.

Other bonuses include a better and longer version of POTC with two drops instead of one, and although some people don't care for California Adventure....it has the Disney charm and is not crowded like an Orlando park. I enjoy it.

I vote that you save up to go to Anaheim. I can't wait to go back there, and am almost sorry I chose to go to Florida for our upcoming trip in April.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dizfan »

I have been to all of them (well, Hong Kong in a few weeks), if you just stay in Orlando (or just any one Disney property for that matter) you are cheating yourself out of amazing experiences...

1. Disneyland is the original...the one and only park planned, built and enjoyed by Walt Disney. That alone should be enough reason for any real Disney fan to want to come to this one a kind place, where you can walk in Walt's footsteps. Aside from that it is the one Disney park on earth with by far the most attractions, I think Tokyo Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are a distant 2nd and 3rd in that category.

I'm probably just going to end up repeating a lot of what others said here but....Indiana Jones Adventure is one of the most amazing rides Disney has ever made. It does not matter if Dinosaur uses the same ride system. They are different rides, with Indy being the better one. A better Fantasmic, the best fireworks show at a Disney theme park (Remember...Dreams Come True), Fantasyland with it's immersive Swiss village theming, the real it's a small world facade, a better Space Mountain, the first Disney E-Ticket Matterhorn, the upcoming Submarine Voyage, better Pirates, better Mansion, the list just keeps going. And it really is immersive, and cuts you off from the real world despite of it's urban location.

Disneyland has remained my favorite Disney theme park!

At California Advenutre there is my favorite Disney coaster, California Screamin'. R'n'RC is faster but it last about 90 seconds while screamin lasts a good while longer. Grizzly River Run is a lot better than Kali River Rapids in the fact that is more than just one big circle with a drop. Soarin' can be enjoyed no matter in what park it is in. Aladdin The Musical really brings out the fact that the stage shows in WDW need to brought to this level. Monsters Inc is OK, the Disney Animation building is really cool (I hope they put this in Florida one day!)

2. Walt Disney World. You've been so no one needs to tell you that it's strength lies in it's size and it has the best immersive Disney experience.

3. However, Tokyo Disney Resort is my favorite Disney Resort! Like Disneyland it is in an urban setting, but next to the ocean. The Disney Theme parks and hotels here uphold the Disney tradition in quality product and guest service better than any of the other theme parks.

The Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta is the most beautiful Disney hotel on earth, to match the most beautiful Disney theme park on earth: Tokyo DisneySea! It has amazing attractions that make even the best stuff here in the US seem "not as great as I first thought". They even made their Indiana Jones better!

I like to think that Tokyo Disneyland is more like Disneyland if it had been built on the Magic Kingdom's scale. Again here you see New Orleans Square among other similarities. Winnie The Pooh is amazing there, and the special events year round are something the other parks should envy.

4. Disneyland Paris. Like WDW, it is immersive, you really can't see hardly anything while you on the Disney property that's not Disney. Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom of all! Phantom Manor is the best of the four, as is Thunder Mountain and Pirates of the Carribean. The Castle is the best of the five, and now the only unique one. Fantasyland and Discoveryland are amazing in their theming. It's just a complete unique experience. Walt Disney Studios Paris needs a lot to become a solid theme park, but it seems like it is going in the right direction.

I just did a quick summary of my thoughts on each resort, but as you can see each has offerings that WDW does not no matter how big it is...and any Disney fan should jump at the chance of going to any Disney property really.
Last edited by dizfan on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mcduck
Limited Issue

Post by mcduck »

If you are all about rides especially big ones and more into the “resort” experience I think Disneyland is not the great competitor, (This is the only Disney park I know in person) but if you are more into the Disney legacy I think this is the best place to visit, it is not totally original to its first years yet still the closest to Walt's vision, a park mostly for ckildren and adults who like child rides (like my self), besides there is the Disney Barn no to far from Disneyland if as I said you are more into the Disney legacy, I I think you budget shall be less compromised if you stay in the country...just an opinion.
For your reference and records my native language is Spanish.
FOREVER FIESTY
dizfan
Gold Classic Collection

Re: okay...time for very honest opinions...

Post by dizfan »

QueenRahel wrote:disney to just be disappointed...thinking i spent wayyy to much money when my disney here in orlando was better anyways
Oh, but you don't have the best, IMO. Tokyo Disney Resort provided a much more amazing 1 week vacation experience than WDW did (quality always beats quantity with me) and the origianl park, Disneyland, is much better than any one of the Florida parks.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

We usually travel to Orlando, even though it's about the same distance from us as Cali. They're both very far. We're are in DEEP south Texas, so we have to travel North for a whole day just to be smack in the middle of the two, then we always head East. The reason being that Disney World has FOUR parks. Ha, we have never checked out any of the other stuff in Orlando, just the Disney stuff. Well, we had to got to Universal for one day last time because my little sis had an audition, but we didn't go into the half you have to pay to enter. We went into the have that is like Pleasure Island when it was free during the day to shop in. Actually, I have no idea what the story is on Pleasure Island now. We haven't checked that place out since it was new. Just wasn't our style.

Anyways, would love to see some of the foreign parks, but so far, only been to Florida, and we went to Disneyland in Claifornia when I was super little, just for a very brief visit. However, I still remember things about it and I'm dying to head out there someday because of the stuff that Florida doesn't have, like the Indy ride. I'm a huge Indiana Jones fan. Plus, the Alice in Wonderland ride I remember from my youth, as well as Casey Jr. and the boat ride that goes into Monstro the whale's mouth and comes out with the viewing of the little fairytale village. Plus, I've never ridden the Matterhorn! Always wanted to! And, I forget what else they have that I've wanted to check out. Oh yeah, the Toontown Spin! Roger Rabbit is my all time favorite film! And the new Monsters Inc. ride! And, I've never been to California Adventure. Don't know how much I'll like it, except for the things that I've been on already in Florida and know are good.
QueenRahel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by QueenRahel »

you see...and this may offend some...but i dont think potc is super awesome, and we have one here anyway...and i have been on mr toads about a thousand times before it closed in wdw for poohs ride...so i wont be visiting for those rides that everyone glorifies...the ones i want to see would be indiana jones, roger rabbit, and alice in wonderland ride since we only have alices teacups here...and im not sure what that rides about anyway...everyone just seems so partial to the one they are from/closest to...if im going all the way to cali, i think i would just save a lil bit more and go to tokyo to visit their disney, and the one of a kind disneysea which i have been reading up on...which has roger rabbit and indiana jones...and like i said the matterhorn cant be a ton different than the new everest at animal kingdom...has ANYONE been to the tokyo disney or can really compare the tokyo parks to cali disney...and everyone i know from here (FL) thats been to calidisney has said it wasnt that great :) :cry: