Tinker Bell Receives Walk of Fame Star

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Tinker Bell Receives Walk of Fame Star

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

According to USA Today via the Associated Press, Disney's own Tinkerbell will recieve a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with the Class of 2009.

Here's the exact article from USA Today's website:

25 getting Hollywood Walk of Fame stars next year

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood will enshrine an eclectic bunch in its famous curbside Walk of Fame next year, including Hugh Jackman, Ben Kingsley, The Village People and Tinkerbell.

Recipients of the sidewalk stars also include Felicity Huffman, William H. Macy, Cameron Diaz, Robert Downey Jr., Tim Burton, Leslie Caron, Charles Durning, Ralph Fiennes, William Petersen, Kyra Sedgwick, John Stamos, Mark Burnett, Chuck Lorre, Kenny Baby Face Edmonds, Dave Koz, The Miracles, Doug Morris, Rush, Shakira, KFI radio personality Bill Handel and KCRW host Harry Shearer, who also provides voices for characters on The Simpsons.

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce's Walk of Fame Committee chose the recipients, who were ratified by the board of directors Thursday.

I know Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney have stars, so my question is: any other Disney stars should I know about?
bambi_nl
Limited Issue

Re: Good News For Tinkerbell Fans!

Post by bambi_nl »

NeoSuperBlissey wrote:I know Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney have stars, so my question is: any other Disney stars should I know about?
Donald Duck and Snow White also have their own stars (I have seen them with my own eyes). And before the entrance of the Disney Store next to the El Capitan, is a special star dedicated to DisneyLand.
Walt Disney even has two stars: one of television personality and one for motion picture.
On the Dutch wikipedia site, there is an entire list of the stars on the walk of fame: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame, but you can also visit the official site of the Walk of Fame here: http://www.hollywoodchamber.net/icons/index.asp
"Kinda wobbely" (Bambi, 1942)
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

why... Tinkerbell?

ugh.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

yukitora wrote:why... Tinkerbell?

ugh.
Why Tinkerbell? She's nearly as iconic as Mickey Mouse.

She opens up all our DVDs, Disneyland anthologys, The Wonderful World of Disney on ABC, she's a center part of the night parade at the parks, and she's getting a new toy line. It makes sense, she's just as much part of our culture as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Snow White.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: Good News For Tinkerbell Fans!

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Yay :D TinkerBell :D.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

*vomits*

And makes plans to track down and kill anyone who supports this stupidity.

I mean they could honours somebody worth honouring like Ollie Johnstone, but no that would drive up sales of crappy CGI s*** will it?

Beside the whole Walk of Fame thing is complete and utter bollocks anway, it's got sod all to do with honouring people from the industry, otherwise why do people have to pay for the stars themselves?

Anyone who thinks this Tinkbell star crap is a good idea deserves to be shot through the face with a whaling harpoon.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I'll refrain from expressing my thoughts on the matter as I rather value my eyes, nose, mouth and general visage.

Then again, they'd look cool all skewered on a harpoon like a giant kebab.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

ichabod wrote:*vomits*

And makes plans to track down and kill anyone who supports this stupidity.

I mean they could honours somebody worth honouring like Ollie Johnstone, but no that would drive up sales of crappy CGI s*** will it?

Beside the whole Walk of Fame thing is complete and utter bollocks anway, it's got sod all to do with honouring people from the industry, otherwise why do people have to pay for the stars themselves?

Anyone who thinks this Tinkbell star crap is a good idea deserves to be shot through the face with a whaling harpoon.
Shooo....... What ever Tinker Bell did to you, it must have been pretty awful.

Tink's an icon now, she's been so for years. It's better to think of her as a mascot of Disney rather than a movie "star" in crappy spin-offs.

I agree Ollie Johnston and the other Nine Old Men should be honored... But beggers can't be choosers.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Do you think Disney Princesses will get their stars eventually? :)
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Only Snow White I guess.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Stars in Tinker Bell's Pixie Dust Not Enough?

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey...I actually like and agree with the general idea of what Ichabod said. This should only honor real people who worked to earn the stars. Honor the people who made Tinker Bell if you must, but do we honor a person's role or the person who did the role?

The only exception I could see is if we identified a role as not seperate from the person who did it, like someone who played the same character forever and liked to be called and thought of as that character all the time.

Otherwise, I think this is stupid.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

No it's not. Even though these aren't real people or characters, they create real laughs... real smiles... real belief. A character could be just as inspiring to a someone as a real person.

One could also say that it does not only honor the character, but all the people who worked on the character. I'm sure had Walt Disney been alive, Ub Iwerks too, they would have been proud that Mickey Mouse got a star, because it's a testament of their legacy too. :)
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Re: The Stars in Tinker Bell's Pixie Dust Not Enough?

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Well,they should get the credit but still,I agree with UmberllaFish,
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

mooky_7_sa wrote:Do you think Disney Princesses will get their stars eventually? :)
I think Ichabod just from Whaling Harpoon to a WAR TANK :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Duster

The Second Star to the Right Not Enough?

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish, if they really want to honor who made the character, they should give them stars with their names. But the people who made her won't even see the star.

I'm sure Iwerks and Disney would have liked Mickey getting a star. But guess what? Today's Disney definatley likes that Tinker Bell's getting a star, too. Doesn't mean I think it's right.

It's only "right" if they fully intend on changing the meaning and importance and honor of the stars, and downgrading them.

Sorry that I think real people should do real work that really earns a real star. And get their real names on it.

Unless they don't want their real names on it, and wouldn't prefer to have their real names on it. Too bad the people who made Tinker Bell are gone so we don't know.
MadameGaston

Post by MadameGaston »

Thats awesome Tinkerbell got he own star on the Walk of Fame!!
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

And what does Tinkerbell have to say about this? "no comment"

One part agrees, the real people deserve it, however, let's think about the first and original Disney Tinkerbell from Peter Pan...how many artists brought her to life from story to storyboard to ink to sound design? So even though Tinkerbell is the one with her name on the star, all those who brought her to life are still in some way getting credit because without them, there would be no Tinkerbell to put on a star
Disney Duster

Tinker Bell Deserves Her Own Star So Bad She Worked So Hard

Post by Disney Duster »

Yup, Siren. And all the people who see the star will know all the names of the people who made Tinker Bell, and everything they did to bring her to life, automatically. The people who actually did the work for Tinker Bell aren't anonymous or sleighted in anyway!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

blah, no fictional character deserves a star. I don't care how inspiring of a character they are, their not real people. it cheapens the whole thing. especially considering the unnecessary tinkerbell movies coming out, it makes it feel like product placement more than anything.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Re: Tinker Bell Deserves Her Own Star So Bad She Worked So H

Post by Siren »

Disney Duster wrote:Yup, Siren. And all the people who see the star will know all the names of the people who made Tinker Bell, and everything they did to bring her to life, automatically. The people who actually did the work for Tinker Bell aren't anonymous or sleighted in anyway!
You can drop the rude sarcasm. I said one part of me agrees, but the other part doesn't, because one has to be realistic here. And there will NEVER be a star for all the people who work on any fictional character. It would be nice if least the main ones would be noted, but creating an animated character is a team effort and its simply unrealistic to think everyone will get a mention. JM Barrie was the ORIGINAL creator of Tinkerbell, without him, there would never have been a Tinkerbell for Disney to use for decades. But we'll never see him get a star. Regardless of all the Peter Pan movies made, he will never get a Hollywood Walk of Fame star. When it comes to Tinkerbell, Barrie deserves it more than any of the animators.

Not to mention, sadly, a lot of people don't know the names of the Nine Old Men. So even if they put Ollie Johnson on a star, many may not know who he is, but Tinkerbell, they will always know.