Beauty And The Beast: Diamond Edition Discussion Oct. 5th!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Beauty And The Beast: Diamond Edition Discussion Oct. 5th!

Post by Matt »

I know we already have a Discussion thread about BATB but I want this thread dedicated to the new Diamond Edition release!

What can we expect on the Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack release?
Same bonus features? New bonus features? OAR?
Unedit Version of the 1991 film with ORGINAL colors?

Post your thoughts here on the Diamond Edition release! :D

This will be released to Disney Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack 10/5/2010!!!!!

(2-Disc DVD Nov. 23rd 2010)

I cannot wait! :D
Last edited by Matt on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Yeah as much as I want the 1.66:1 totally unmodified OTV, I doubt it'll happen. Disney's too "let's make it look stunning HD so all the little kids are so impressed and buy something they already own on VHS!"

I wish they'd just hand me a 35mm film reel so I could do the job better than they did in 2003 :lol:

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
Mollyzkoubou
Limited Issue

Post by Mollyzkoubou »

Man, you said it. Disney doesn't seem to give a damn about original theatrical, and it shows.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Like I said in the other thread, I really want them to include more on the staged show.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

A little early if you ask me....
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I want them to let the Beast stutter again. :P
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Beauty and the Beast, is a favorite of mine. From the footage I’ve seen on my Enchanted Blu-Ray disc, Beauty and the Beast looks spectacular. Hopefully Disney will give us the FULL picture this time, and not it’s re-done IMAX release. That really bothered me when I saw the 2002 platinum.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Perhaps including more clips from the Broadway stage production of the show...or even the whole thing!
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

I'm happy BatB is getting re-released, but I hate the fact that Disney wasn't creative enough to call it something other than a Platinum Edition...

Unless I have caved and bought a Blu Ray Player (or I get one with the new Bed I'm buying in November... you always get a an entertainment system with bed purchases) I won't be buying it for a third time. My DVD and VHS still work perfectly.
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

Well the way I see it, if Snow White is going to be re-released in 2009, why not Beauty and the Beast?

I missed out on my chance to get it when it initially came out (didn't have a DVD player), and my grandparents sold their copy of the PE of Snow White, so I'm definitely getting it this time around. I really want to see "Human Again", I heard it was animated into the film, and I would love to see it.
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

I sent Disney videos a letter about making the next BATB DVD less luminous and more accurate to the original, so I hope they take that into consideration.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: Beauty and the Beast: 2nd Platinum Edition Discussion Th

Post by Ariel'sprince »

That's early.
Anyway I"ll buy it on DVD :D.
Flower's Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Flower's Friend »

I am confused. The Beauty and the Beast dvd did have the Cinema version on the dvd as one of the 3 versions of how you can watch the film. So was the color on the Cinema version on the dvd changed so it looked different than it did when it first came out in 1991? Also someone else on this thread said something about wanting the full picture this time?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Flower's Friend, the "theatrical version" of Beauty and the Beast on DVD is pretty much the Special Edition IMAX version minus "Human Again" and some details related to that song. For the IMAX version, the following changes were made (besides adding "Human Again"):

* The "Silver Screen Partners" credit at the beginning of the movie after "Walt Disney Pictures" is removed.

* The color scheme was altered to be brighter and more pastel looking.

* Details in the character animation were added for wide shots and background extras (and Cogsworth's reaction to the Beast letting Belle go is completely redone).

* The Beast in the original version stuttered in one line when talking to Belle. "Do you wa-want to stay in the tower?" This was fixed for the SE.

* More blood was added to the Beast's arm after the wolf fight.

* Since the servants clean up the castle in "Human Again," the backgrounds that follow that scene had to be redone to keep continuity (for example, a broken mirror behind the Beast as he's bathing was made whole again). The filmmakers didn't want to have to alter all of the castle backgrounds for the rest of the movie, so they added sound effects of the Beast tearing apart the castle as Belle rides off to save Maurice. This allowed them to only alter the backgrounds between "Human Again" and Belle's depature from the castle.

The theatrical version on the DVD has all of these alterations except the last one. It still keeps the backgrounds of the demolished castle, so we technically get about 10 minutes' worth of the original version on DVD (if you ignore the change of color scheme).

People mentioned the "full picture" because the aspect ratio on the DVD is 1.85:1, the way it was shown in theaters (both times). However, the laserdisc presented the movie in 1.66:1, which is the full CAPS image and has slightly more picture on the top and bottom. There are complaints because all the other CAPS Disney movies (except Rescuers Down Under and Hunchback of Notre Dame) are shown in their full 1.66:1 ratio, adding slightly more picture than what was seen in theaters. Even the old VHS was taken from the 1.66:1 version, so even though you were losing info on the left and right, you were gaining some on the top and bottom.
Flower's Friend
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Flower's Friend »

Disneykid wrote:Flower's Friend, the "theatrical version" of Beauty and the Beast on DVD is pretty much the Special Edition IMAX version minus "Human Again" and some details related to that song. For the IMAX version, the following changes were made (besides adding "Human Again"):

* The "Silver Screen Partners" credit at the beginning of the movie after "Walt Disney Pictures" is removed.

* The color scheme was altered to be brighter and more pastel looking.

* Details in the character animation were added for wide shots and background extras (and Cogsworth's reaction to the Beast letting Belle go is completely redone).

* The Beast in the original version stuttered in one line when talking to Belle. "Do you wa-want to stay in the tower?" This was fixed for the SE.

* More blood was added to the Beast's arm after the wolf fight.

* Since the servants clean up the castle in "Human Again," the backgrounds that follow that scene had to be redone to keep continuity (for example, a broken mirror behind the Beast as he's bathing was made whole again). The filmmakers didn't want to have to alter all of the castle backgrounds for the rest of the movie, so they added sound effects of the Beast tearing apart the castle as Belle rides off to save Maurice. This allowed them to only alter the backgrounds between "Human Again" and Belle's depature from the castle.

The theatrical version on the DVD has all of these alterations except the last one. It still keeps the backgrounds of the demolished castle, so we technically get about 10 minutes' worth of the original version on DVD (if you ignore the change of color scheme).

People mentioned the "full picture" because the aspect ratio on the DVD is 1.85:1, the way it was shown in theaters (both times). However, the laserdisc presented the movie in 1.66:1, which is the full CAPS image and has slightly more picture on the top and bottom. There are complaints because all the other CAPS Disney movies (except Rescuers Down Under and Hunchback of Notre Dame) are shown in their full 1.66:1 ratio, adding slightly more picture than what was seen in theaters. Even the old VHS was taken from the 1.66:1 version, so even though you were losing info on the left and right, you were gaining some on the top and bottom.
Thanks for explaining that to me :)

So I guess the only way to see this movie as it was in 1991 would be to either get the laserdisc or a vhs copy that came out before the Platinum Edition or go back in time :) Now I am thinking about going on ebay and looking for an older vhs copy of the film. The vhs would just take away from the sides.

I have a question. If they do bring back the version as it was in 1991, do you all think it would be like the laserdisc that shows the whole picture orr do you all think it would be just like it was in the Cinema back in 1991, that cuts off a little of the top and bottom? Maybe they will do both :)
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Kelvin wrote:* Since the servants clean up the castle in "Human Again," the backgrounds that follow that scene had to be redone to keep continuity (for example, a broken mirror behind the Beast as he's bathing was made whole again). The filmmakers didn't want to have to alter all of the castle backgrounds for the rest of the movie, so they added sound effects of the Beast tearing apart the castle as Belle rides off to save Maurice. This allowed them to only alter the backgrounds between "Human Again" and Belle's depature from the castle.

Gonna trot out my old screen cap that I've used many times, simply to help new readers understand this change that Kelvin just described...

Top - Theatrical Version
Bottom - IMAX Version
Flower's Friend wrote:I have a question. If they do bring back the version as it was in 1991, do you all think it would be like the laserdisc that shows the whole picture orr do you all think it would be just like it was in the Cinema back in 1991, that cuts off a little of the top and bottom? Maybe they will do both :)
I'd rather it preserve the 1.85:1 theatrical ratio, but I know that's a rather unpopular opinion here. :roll:

If it were up to me, I'd make Beauty and the Beast a multi-disc (as in 3 or more) set with the the following:

Disc One: 1991 Theatrical Version in 1.85:1
Disc Two: 2002 IMAX Special Edition in 1.66:1 (it'd be closer to IMAX's ratio anyway)
Disc Three: 1991 Work In Progress in 1.66:1 (it was likely screened a 1.85:1 during the New York Film Festival, but it's an incomplete film so I don't mind having it in the animated ratio instead of the theatrical ratio).
Discs Four, Five, Six, etc.: Special Features.

But since Disney doesn't favor anything beyond a two-disc set for Animated Classics, then I'd settle for a a two-disc set where Disc One features the 1991 Theatrical Version and the Work In Progress version (via a better seamless branching than on the 2002 DVD), with the "Human Again" sequence simply as a bonus scene in the Special Features disc, and not re-integrated into the film.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

The platinum line has really gone down hill in recent years. I'm curious what kind of treatment they will give to this edition, seeing as this will be its second release in the line. BatB is one of my favorites, so I'm hoping for something new here. I'd love to see them come up with decent bonus features that weren't previously included.. and above all I'd love to see them release the original theatrical version.. but we all know how Disney generally feels about that :lol:
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Escapay wrote:I'd rather it preserve the 1.85:1 theatrical ratio, but I know that's a rather unpopular opinion here. :roll:

Albert
Ya, heaven forbid a film should be shown in it's original theatrical aspect ratio. :roll:

In all honesty, I have no intention of buying the new release unless it has the original theatrical version AND work in progress version done right.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

The setup that I'm considering for my homemade edition is as follows:

Disc 1 - The original theatrical version (taken from a laserdisc), 1.66:1 aspect ratio, but with a remade 5.1 track coming from the DVD (edits such as the stuttering Beast would have to be redone by hand). Human Again would be present as a special feature, and you would have the option of watching the film while seamlessly branching it in (note that it would be the OTV, NOT the SE... it would just be an "extended version" or something)
Disc 2 - The Work-In-Progress version, also taken from a laserdisc, 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Possibly also using a 5.1 track, or maybe just the stereo that's on the laserdisc.
Disc 3 - Special features.

I wish Disney would do the same! With Blu-Ray they could certainly include all that stuff and then some. (If they make it 50GB dual layer)

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

maybe they should do it like Sony did for Close Encounters on the third kind on bluray all 3 versions on one disc and second disc just all bonus features. the picture didnt suffer at all it looks great on blu ray!