Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Post by Barbossa »

Finally a mention of Pirates 4 over at Movieweb:
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NExAxyCAsTfUBC
Johnny Depp Is Tonto in The Lone Ranger and Will Return for Another Pirates of the Caribbean!

The excitement just doesn't seem to stop at the Walt Disney Showcase at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood today. Not too long ago, the USC Marching Band began playing the William Tell Overture and none other than Johnny Depp himself came walking out onto the stage, revealing two new projects with just his outfit alone.

He came strolling out onto the stage wearing his full Captain Jack Sparrow costume from Pirates of the Caribbean AND he was wearing the mask of The Lone Ranger as well!

Depp confirmed that he has indeed signed on for both Jerry Bruckheimer's The Lone Ranger and Pirates of the Caribbean 4 to boot.

UPDATE: Disney has just confirmed that Depp in fact is officially signed on to play Tonto in the The Lone Ranger film and not the The Lone Ranger himself.

We'll have more on these amazing developments as soon as more information comes through from this event.
Last edited by Barbossa on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Not surprised, considering Pirates 3 ended with a sequel hint. Though with Pirates mania "dying" I hope the movie rekindles the joy of piracy.
ImageImageImageImage

yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

ugh, yuck yuck.

Hopefully this will make up for the atrocity that was POTC III.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Yay!!! :D.
When it will be out?.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Keira and Orlando are'nt going to be in it, coz they're story has ended. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scoop-Pi ... -5506.html
:!: BTW Elizabeth gives birth to a son named Will Turner Jr., and her husband returns back to her after 10 yrs from the ending. (POTC Wiki) :!: .

It would be nice to see a new major female character who would be Jack Sparrow's love interest.
Maybe Scarlett Johansson, or any other popular A-list celebrity that Jerry Bruckheimer can afford to hire. (But this is just a biased comment since I really like her ! :P )
Perhaps she can first appear during a "lady auction" like the popular scene from the ride which is notably left out from the first 3 movies.
But Atlantis... c'mon this doesn't sound too good,and it would be really boring if Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa where the only two major characters aboard the Black Pearl.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I hope Pirates 4 is good. I really liked all three of the others.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Jack Skellington wrote:It would be nice to see a new major female character who would be Jack Sparrow's love interest.
How about Julia Roberts? She even said she wanted to work with Johnny Depp.
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

mmm seems a nice idea, at least for the fans(Like I) :D

But I have certain doubts, for example, I can't think on Jack or Barbossa going into Atlantis(I mean yes, they have already sunk a ship to appear in a parallel dimension but here would imply to sunk it completely!)
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Meh. I only like the first movie so I can't say I'm jumping for joy over the idea of a third sequel. I'll see it anyways just for the sake of seeing it, but I'm not anticipating it.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

mooky_7_sa wrote:
Jack Skellington wrote:It would be nice to see a new major female character who would be Jack Sparrow's love interest.
How about Julia Roberts? She even said she wanted to work with Johnny Depp.
Dear God, no.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Jack Skellington wrote:Keira and Orlando are'nt going to be in it, coz they're story has ended.
Thank god. They were bearable and cute in the first film, but slowly devolted to being completely unbearable by the end of the third film.
Maybe Scarlett Johansson, or any other popular A-list celebrity that Jerry Bruckheimer can afford to hire. (But this is just a biased comment since I really like her ! :P )
HELL YEAH! Hottie McHotHot would be perfect in the POTC-iverse. Forget all the other characters, make it Scarlett & Johnny centric in a Romancing the Stone kind of way.
Jack Skellington wrote:Perhaps she can first appear during a "lady auction" like the popular scene from the ride which is notably left out from the first 3 movies.
That'd be quite an entrance. She could be the redhead ("We want the redhead!") who ends up getting sold to Barbossa. He takes her to a room in the inn, where she steals his revolver, holds him at gunpoint, and runs away with his bag of gold, treasure map, and bottle of rum...straight into the arms of Captain Jack. The two then decide that they'll search for the treasure from the map together, and he'll protect her from Barbossa (partly to annoy good ole Hector and partly so he can get the girl and the rum). Then it's a madcap chase around the world as Barbossa chases Jack and Hottie, and the two of them are also continually betraying each other in order to get to the treasure first. Somewhere down the line they'll lose Barbossa, and the big finish can be the two of them both reaching the treasure at the same time, both with revolvers pointed at each other, both not willing to back down. And then all that rampant sexual tension between them finally breaks them and they make mad passionate love all over the the place. The end. :D

They'll probably have to tone that last scene down from XXX to PG-13, though. :P
Brendan wrote:
mooky wrote: How about Julia Roberts? She even said she wanted to work with Johnny Depp.
Dear God, no.
Ditto.

Julia Roberts can be a good actress when she wants to be, but she's been phoning it in for the past 10 years.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
daydreamer22010
Limited Issue

Post by daydreamer22010 »

yay! im excited..i love POTC and i am hoping this will be more like a prequel concerning how "jack sparrow" became jack sparrow..ect..
:D
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Escapay wrote:
That'd be quite an entrance. She could be the redhead ("We want the redhead!") who ends up getting sold to Barbossa. He takes her to a room in the inn, where she steals his revolver, holds him at gunpoint, and runs away with his bag of gold, treasure map, and bottle of rum...straight into the arms of Captain Jack. The two then decide that they'll search for the treasure from the map together, and he'll protect her from Barbossa (partly to annoy good ole Hector and partly so he can get the girl and the rum). Then it's a madcap chase around the world as Barbossa chases Jack and Hottie, and the two of them are also continually betraying each other in order to get to the treasure first. Somewhere down the line they'll lose Barbossa, and the big finish can be the two of them both reaching the treasure at the same time, both with revolvers pointed at each other, both not willing to back down. And then all that rampant sexual tension between them finally breaks them and they make mad passionate love all over the the place. The end. :D

They'll probably have to tone that last scene down from XXX to PG-13, though. :P
I approve of this plot. As much as I enjoyed Pirates 3 my biggest problem with the film is that the plot was too convoluted with betrayals, political intrigue and doomed romances. One of the three would have been fine, but mashed together its a mess. It made it hard to follow and at times it isn't enjoyable.

A plot like this would bring the series back to basics; Jack being silly, tons of adventures, chases and explosions and plenty of laughs to be had.

Nothing has to be overly complex in order to be fun.
ImageImageImageImage

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Escapay wrote:
Jack Skellington wrote:Perhaps she can first appear during a "lady auction" like the popular scene from the ride which is notably left out from the first 3 movies.

OMG, I would die!!! Someone tell Disney to DO IT!!! :lol:

But yeah, I loved the first film beyond all comprehension but didn't enjoy the sequels as much. I'd love to see the series go back to something simpler.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

I knew scaps would approve of Hottie McHotHot to join the POTC quadrilogy ! :D
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Yeah,Jack needs a true love in the next film.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I personally enjoyed the sequels as much as the original. But, considering I wasn't completely fond of the original, I suppose that doesn't amount to much. I agree that the third was worst though--not extremely so, but it could've been better.
Dear God, no.
Earlier, I was going to post a similar reaction, but I wasn't sure if I should spread my negative thoughts. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought it though. :wink:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

HELL YEAH! Hottie McHotHot would be perfect in the POTC-iverse. Forget all the other characters, make it Scarlett & Johnny centric in a Romancing the Stone kind of way.
Sounds like Escapay has been watching too Much of Disney's Emperor's New School.. :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
gregmasciola
Gold Classic Collection

Post by gregmasciola »

Part of me is saying "Pirates 4? Stupid idea!", but another part of me is kind of excited about it. While I'm sure it will be about Jack Sparrow trying to find the Fountain of Youth, I think the main thing they need to make sure they do with this movie is make it stand on its own, kind of like the Indiana Jones movies. I know that I'll go to see it when it comes out.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Oh, this is definitely a sign that the world is coming to an end.

What happened to the good old days when stuff would just be trilogies? Why, all of the sudden, does everyone want to make more and more of these movies? From the Scary Movie series to the Spider-Man movies to ... you name it, it's just annoying.

I suffered through Pirates 3 and probably won't be seeing this one. Unless I get a few confirmed sources saying it doesn't suck. Because with what little respect for Disney I have left these days, I'm expecting the worst of this movie.

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!