Cars 2 in 2011 and series of Cars shorts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Cars 2 in 2011 and series of Cars shorts

Post by Barbossa »

Cars 2 has moved up a year to coincide with the opening of Carsland at DCA in 2011:
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEGdHLHG0iTOKK
It seems that all your favorite animated automobiles will be back in theaters sooner than we thought. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Cars 2 will be driving up to theaters in 2011.

The sequel was originally slated for a 2012 release, but Pixar's John Lassetter said at a Disney event today that the film has been moved up a year. Lassetter also said that Brad Lewis, who produced Antz and Ratatouille, will make his direcotrial debut and that the film will be inspired by cars all over the world that Lassetter saw while doing press for Cars.

Lassetter also said that an animated series of cartoons dubbed Cars Toons will be airing on The Disney Channel, with the possibility of becoming a feature of its own. The first toon to air will be entitled Mater's Tall Tales, featuring the tow-truck character from the first film, voiced by Larry the Cable Guy.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

This is definitely going to annoy people...

And "Antz"? I think they mean "A bug's life" :p .
ImageImageImageImage

yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

The producer of Antz moved to Pixar? cool :lol:

By the looks of the film so far, there is going to be very different feel to "Cars 2", though "Cars Toons" isn't a very inspiring title.

TBH, I rather a movie with a completely new cast... but in the same universe.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

So has Newt been bumped to 2012? Or are we getting 3 pixar flicks in 2011 now?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

It's probably been pushed back. This is going to get rather annoying, although it is brilliant for making money. I was talking to one of my friends who has a kid who hasn't even seen Cares yet but his birthday list (which is this weekend) is overflowing with things he wasn't from Cars. I'm not even sure if the DVD is included on the list, lol. At least I have a very easy idea of what to get him.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Thought we already had a thread about the Car Toons,are they actual Cars TV series or something like those Pixie Previews for TinkerBell?.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Pixar is going to overwork themselves. :(

By the way, Brad Lewis did produce Antz. I was surprised by it too; a pretty cool move on his part going to a better and more fun studio!
Eeeevah!

Post by Eeeevah! »

yukitora wrote:
TBH, I rather a movie with a completely new cast... but in the same universe.
I agree-sequels of all movies tend to not be as good as the original, and (yeah, just my opinion I know :lol: )I think that shows a lot with the disney movies. I'd rather just see something unique rather than trying to recreate the magic.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

Since Paul Newman passed away, I wonder if they'll have to eliminate Doc Hudson's character. Just like for Toy Story 3, they can't have the slinky dog cause Jim Varney died some years ago.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

I love Pixar, honestly, but can anyone else here say "unnecessary"? Of all the sequels to be made... :roll:
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

Well they've had ideas for other sequels, but for Monsters, Inc's case, they said that didn't want to spoil it's beautiful ending.

Maybe for Cars they realized they could've improved on it, and will "redeem" themselves through the sequel.

OR

They saw the massive profit they made from all the merchancrapdise and wanted MORE :twisted:
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

RIP Doc Hudson
:cry:
Paul Newman 1925 - 2008

:cry: It's sad. Cars has lost two voice actors in the same year. The other being:

Fillmore

George Carlin 1937 - 2008

I wonder if Disney will find new voice actors for them or not.
Eeeevah!

Post by Eeeevah! »

Very sad to hear that Newman had died-I hadn't even thought of his voicing Doc when I heard. He was one of my favourite characters, in my daughter's favourite movie :(
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

In Cars 2 they should put Doc Hudson and Fillmore on pedestals in statue form beside Stanley.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

magicalwands wrote:By the way, Brad Lewis did produce Antz.[/qutoe]
I was just about to come in here and say that, lol.

[quote"Disney-Fan"]I love Pixar, honestly, but can anyone else here say "unnecessary"? Of all the sequels to be made... :roll:
UNNECESSARY!

And I agree. Of all the sequels to be made...they picked Cars???

Where's my A Bug's Life 2, dammit?!?
Barbossa wrote:In Cars 2 they should put Doc Hudson and Fillmore on pedestals in statue form beside Stanley.
They should.

I'm sure the filmmakers will retire the character out of respect for the actors.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Escapay wrote:
magicalwands wrote:By the way, Brad Lewis did produce Antz.[/qutoe]
I was just about to come in here and say that, lol.

[quote"Disney-Fan"]I love Pixar, honestly, but can anyone else here say "unnecessary"? Of all the sequels to be made... :roll:
UNNECESSARY!

And I agree. Of all the sequels to be made...they picked Cars???

Where's my A Bug's Life 2, dammit?!?
Barbossa wrote:In Cars 2 they should put Doc Hudson and Fillmore on pedestals in statue form beside Stanley.
They should.

I'm sure the filmmakers will retire the character out of respect for the actors.

albert

Now I have a question (not sure if its been asked before but if so...and sorry if it's off topic a bit...

What will they/possibly do for the Voice Cast of Toy Story 3 for the voices of Slinky Dog and Wheezer (the squeeky toy penguin from Toy Story 2 ) since the actors of them passed away...??
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

That would make for a very emotional scene. By the end of the movie Doc Hudson became an inspiration for Lightning. If in the second movie they acknowledge that Doc Hudson passed away it would make for good character development. Lighting now has the teachings of his mentor to guide him on.

...But knowing Disney they will likely hire another actor to do the voice. Death doesn't stop corporations sadly :( . It depends on how well the Fillmore and Doc toys sold and see if they can bring them back.

I admit I am being morbid and cynical here (ironic, no?), Pixar could keep this in respect of the actors. But to the Disney side as long as there's someone out there that sounds like Paul Newman and George Carlin the characters are alive and well.
ImageImageImageImage

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

pap64 wrote:
That would make for a very emotional scene. By the end of the movie Doc Hudson became an inspiration for Lightning. If in the second movie they acknowledge that Doc Hudson passed away it would make for good character development. Lighting now has the teachings of his mentor to guide him on.

...But knowing Disney they will likely hire another actor to do the voice. Death doesn't stop corporations sadly :( . It depends on how well the Fillmore and Doc toys sold and see if they can bring them back.

I admit I am being morbid and cynical here (ironic, no?), Pixar could keep this in respect of the actors. But to the Disney side as long as there's someone out there that sounds like Paul Newman and George Carlin the characters are alive and well.

Perhaps it could be....like....Doc and Filmore's engine's gave out and was not able to be repaired or something to that effect...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I don't think that the characters will die because the voice actors died.
Who voiced them in the video games? they can voice them in the sequel.
Eeeevah!

Post by Eeeevah! »

A new voice for Doc would just totally turn me off the movie. It would be the final straw, the thing that meant that there would be no way I would buy.