This day in Disney Channel history....

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

This day in Disney Channel history....

Post by disneyfella »

I thought I'd start a thread to periodically add program listings for that current date. I encourage people to come back frequently to check out these listings...they will probably stir some great memories of shows you almost forgot about.

This is also a place for discussion of The Disney Channel and the high quality programming it USED to air.

February 18, 1994 (Friday):

6:00AM - Mousercise
6:30AM - Music Box
7:00AM - The Gummi Bears
7:30AM - Adventures in Wonderland
8:00AM - Fraggle Rock
8:30AM - Welcome to Pooh Corner
9:00AM - Under the Umbrella Tree
9:30AM - Dumbo's Circus
10:00AM - Mickey's Mouse Tracks
10:30AM - The Care Bears
11:00AM - The Gummi Bears
11:30AM - Lunch Box
12:00PM - SPECIAL The Coyote's Lament
1:00PM - MOVIE Pound Puppies: The Legend of Big Paw
2:30PM - My Little Pony Tales
3:00PM - Donald's Quack Attack
3:30PM - The Care Bears
4:00PM - Under the Umbrella Tree
4:30PM - Adventures in Wonderland
TRIPLE FEATURE FRIDAY: MONSTERS ON PARADE
5:00PM - MOVIE The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
6:30PM - MOVIE Godzilla Raids Again
8:00PM - MOVIE King Kong Vs. Godzilla
9:30PM - SPECIAL Tom Petty: Going Home
11:00PM - MOVIE That's Entertainment!

What do you think? Is this lineup better than today's Disney Channel? Would you be more likely to watch this channel than today's Disney Channel? Do you have any memories of these programs? Keep checking back for new program listings of that particular day in history (I may post daily for a while and then not at all for a while, and then bump with new listings..etc.etc.etc.) This should be casual and a lot of fun!

EDIT: For comparison here is the listing for the same date on The Disney Channel today...

February 18, 2009 (Wednesday):

6:00AM - Phineas and Ferb
6:30AM - Imagination Movers
7:00AM - Handy Manny
7:30AM - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
8:00AM - Little Einsteins
8:30AM - My Friends Tigger and Pooh
9:00AM - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
9:30AM - Handy Manny
10:00AM - Imagination Movers
10:30AM - Little Einsteins
11:00AM - Charlie & Lola
11:30AM - The Wiggles
12:00PM - MOVIE The Cheetah Girls
1:30PM - Phineas and Ferb
2:00PM - The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
2:30PM - The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
3:00PM - Hannah Montana
3:30PM - Hannah Montana
4:00PM - The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
4:30PM - The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
5:00PM - Life With Derek
5:30PM - Life With Derek
6:00PM - That's So Raven
6:30PM - That's So Raven
7:00PM - The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
7:30PM - Hannah Montana
8:00PM - MOVIE Twitches Too
9:30PM - Wizards of Waverly Place
10:00PM - Wizards of Waverly Place
10:30PM - Life With Derek
11:00PM - The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
11:30PM - Hannah Montana
Last edited by disneyfella on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

In some ways, the old Disney channel schedule was better. Ah, the Disney Channel of the 90's: When Amazing Animals, Charlie Brown, and awesome movies were still on the air.
Bebopgroove
Gold Classic Collection

Re: This day in Disney Channel history....

Post by Bebopgroove »

Oh my~ I forgot about Adventures In Wonderland and Under the Umbrella Tree till I saw it listed :lol: :lol:
disneyfella wrote:What do you think? Is this lineup better than today's Disney Channel?
Like hell it is.
disneyfella wrote:Would you be more likely to watch this channel than today's Disney Channel?
Today's DC is the bane of all existence.

This makes me sad. But then again, most anything from the 80s/early 90s is better than anything around right now. At least some of this is available on DVD :)
<a href="http://goldenlemonsicons.blogspot.com">GoldenLemons Icons</a> | <a href="http://bebopgroove.dvdaf.com">My DVD Collection</a>
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Bebopgroove wrote:Oh my~ I forgot about Adventures In Wonderland and Under the Umbrella Tree till I saw it listed :lol: :lol:

I didn't really remember "Under the Umbrella Tree" and then I found this intro on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYZqAKkyvA

I so remember this show! I'm probably going to have to hunt down some DVDs of it now...lol.

Also, I can't resist linking a youtube clip for "Adventures in Wonderland".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70P4c1UVIY

SHOUT! Factory should so release season sets of this on DVD.
- Walt Disney

Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

*cringes at sight of the newer lineup* good god it's like crap on parade these days. Suite Life six times in one day (not to mention most likely the same two episodes) *sigh*
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

My favs were Dumbo's Circus, Adventure's in Wonderland, Welcome to Pooh Corner, and Under the Umbrella Tree.

I also have memories of watching My Little Pony Tales, The Gummi Bears, and Care Bears.

Wow, what a flash down memory lane! I don't think very many kids these days would like many of these shows and overall I'm happy to see some of the newer shows. I just wish there were room for both somehow.

Aside from all of that, what I really want is Vault Disney to come back. I don't want to have to buy the treasures to see all of that!
schoollover
Gold Classic Collection

Post by schoollover »

Youknow when I was in pre K I was watching disney channel and it was early in the morning and I just assumed I was watching vault disney because they were showing an old black and white cartoon showing mickey mouse. After that they went to the playhouse disney when it still opened with the clay logo, and playhouse disney still had good shows.

Those were the days.
Last edited by schoollover on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I have always loved Disney Channel. Obviously, there was more variety back in the day than there is now, but I like the shows from past and present.

When I was in first grade, I played hooky from school to watch "Dumbo's Circus", I loved it so much. :lol: "Welcome to Pooh Corner", "Under the Umbrella Tree", "Adventures in Wonderland", "Pound Puppies", and "Mousercise" were huge favorites of mine!

"Kids, Incorporated" and "MMC", which aren't on that list, were even huger favorites of mine- it's partly due to those two shows that I have a huge love of pop music, I think.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Yeah, I miss the old Disney Channel.

But really, I grew up with Nickelodeon... and I miss those vintage shows too. At least Nickelodeon makes them available! Either through Nicktoons channel or they're on DVD.

Anyway, I avoid Disney Channel at all costs, I should just remove it from the channel listing on my TV so it passes over it when channel surfing :lol:
My sisters will probably hate me for a couple days, but it'll pass. They still have ABC Family. (Which incidentally isn't very "family" at all... I've seen them show PG-13 movies, especially those with crude/sex references in them like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation)

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
rsandcm1
Limited Issue

Post by rsandcm1 »

I am not sure exactly what the line up was like but I grew up on the 1998 and 1999 years of Disney Channel when they aired stuff like Brotherly Love, Sister Sister, Smart Guy, Muppets Tonight and Growing Pains but still had old stuff like Adventures In Wonderland. Those were the days.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

The old Disney Channel lineup is at least a million times better than the current schedule. At least they did not air the same shows six times in one day.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Very cool post, disneyfella. Makes me want to fire up the Delorean. (I know, going back in time 15 years to watch TV sounds stupid... but it's good to know that if you do go back and the time-travel gets dull or you get stuck there due to a plutonium shortage, you can find some variety on The Disney Channel.) It was still a premium channel then, right?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Luke wrote:Very cool post, disneyfella. Makes me want to fire up the Delorean. (I know, going back in time 15 years to watch TV sounds stupid... but it's good to know that if you do go back and the time-travel gets dull or you get stuck there due to a plutonium shortage, you can find some variety on The Disney Channel.) It was still a premium channel then, right?
It was until 1997.

Adventures in Wonderland and Godzilla? Kids today don't know what the are missing!
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

It was premium until 1997?

I seem to recall having Disney channel on our basic-level <strike>Comcrap</strike> Comcast cable. I want to say it was channel 43?

Or maybe my parents just paid extra for it and didn't tell me? Nickelodeon and Disney, those were the only two channels I was allowed to watch (other than the kiddie stuff on PBS and whatnot) until I was 8 or so (Sigh, stupid overprotective parents)

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Savages (Uncensored)
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I'm totally stoked that people are responding to these listings! It shows that there is completely a market out there for nostalgia television.......especially Disney television :)

Here's an interesting comparison:

February 19, 1986 (Wednesday)

6:00AM - Mickey Mouse Club
6:30AM - Mousercise
7:00AM - Good Morning, Mickey!
7:30AM - Pooh Corner
8:00AM - Donald Duck Presents
8:30AM - Dumbo's Circus
9:00AM - You and Me, Kid
9:30AM - New! Animal World
10:00AM - MOVIE Scott of the Antarctic
12:00PM - SPECIAL Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life
1:00PM - MOVIE The Mystery in Dracula's Castle
2:30PM - Danger Bay Vet's Holiday
3:00PM - Dumbo's Circus
3:30PM - Pooh Corner
4:00PM - Mickey Mouse Club
4:30PM - Donald Duck Presents
5:00PM - New! Animal World
5:30PM - World of Disney
6:30PM - Ozzie & Harriet
7:00PM - MOVIE The Lady Vanishes
8:40PM - Mousterpiece Theater
9:00PM - MOVIE The Black Hole
10:40PM - Close Up on the Planets
11:00PM - MOVIE The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again
12:30AM - The Scheme of Things

Now remember this was a WEEKNIGHT! I counted no less than 5 movies and 1 television special on an ordinary weeknight in 1986! The Disney Channel began reporting record breaking revenue beginning 1985 when it finally began to turn a profit; and it only got higher. Check out just a few years later:

February 19, 1990 (Monday)

6:00AM - You and Me, Kid
6:30AM - Mousercise
7:00AM - Good Morning, Mickey!
7:30AM - Welcome to Pooh Corner
8:00AM - Donald Duck Presents
8:30AM - Dumbo's Circus
9:00AM - MOVIE Hey There, It's Yogi Bear
10:30AM - SPECIAL Banjo the Woodpile Cat
11:00AM - MOVIE Double Switch
12:30PM - SPECIAL New Kids on the Block: Hangin' Tough Live in Concert
1:30PM - MOVIE From Disney With Love
3:00PM - MOVIE The Man From Snowy River
5:00PM - Kids Incorporated
5:30PM - Mickey Mouse Club
6:00PM - DISNEY CHANNEL PREMIERE FILM Lantern Hill
8:00PM - MINISERIES Anne of Avonlea (Part 3)
9:00PM - MINISERIES George Washington (Part 1)
11:00PM - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Wedding Anniversary
11:30PM - MOVIE The Sunshine Boys

That's right. 6 movies, 2 specials, and 2 miniseries. Again, this was a typical weeknight on The Disney Channel! Compare that to today's Disney Channel line-up (which strangely is suffering financially):

February 19, 2009 (Thursday):

6:00AM - Phineas and Ferb
6:30AM - Imagination Movers
7:00AM - Handy Manny
7:30AM - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
8:00AM - Little Einsteins
8:30AM - My Friends Tigger and Pooh
9:00AM - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
9:30AM - Handy Manny
10:00AM - Imagination Movers
10:30AM - Little Einsteins
11:00AM - Charlie & Lola
11:30AM - The Wiggles
12:00PM - MOVIE Twitches Too
1:30PM - Suite Life of Zack and Cody
2:00PM - Suite Life of Zack and Cody
2:30PM - Suite Life of Zack and Cody
3:00PM - Phineas and Ferb
3:30PM - Phineas and Ferb
4:00PM - The Proud Family
4:30PM - The Proud Family
5:00PM - Cory in the House
5:30PM - Cory in the House
6:00PM - Wizards of Waverly Place
6:30PM - Wizards of Waverly Place
7:00PM - Suite Life of Zack and Cody
7:30PM - Hannah Montana
8:00PM - MOVIE Holes
10:00PM - Wizards of Waverly Place
10:30PM - Life With Derek
11:00PM - Suite Life of Zack and Cody
11:30PM - Hannah Montana

Does anyone else remember the Disney Channel television series "Danger Bay"? Check it out....this is the kind of action/adventure television that was synonymous with Disney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-m5J10e2Rg

Nowadays we're lucky and excited if we can get reruns of "Jett Jackson" on Disney XD. I'm definitely looking forward to "Aaron Stone" (it's already season passed on my TiVo), but imagine several high drama shows on The Disney Channel any night of the week! The Disney Channel used to mean quality family entertainment...now it simply translates to "Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and "Hannah Montana", plus maybe one junior high DCOM about fashionistas who become role models. "That's hot."

VOMIT!

:angry:
Last edited by disneyfella on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Walt Disney

drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Is Aaron Stone any good? I know iTunes was giving away the first episode in HD for free, if they still have it maybe I'll download it to archive.

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)
schoollover
Gold Classic Collection

Post by schoollover »

Ya'll are so lucky to have seen that. I'm olny 12 so I really missed out. Sucks to be my generation.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

drfsupercenter wrote:Is Aaron Stone any good? I know iTunes was giving away the first episode in HD for free, if they still have it maybe I'll download it to archive.
It actually is, go see my comments on the thread for the show. It's free so I'd say take it! (and just pay whatever for part 2)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I haven't grown up with DC, but the vids on youtube look interesting. Any more links to any of them?
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

When I was younger, Disney Channel was only seen when they did a FREE Preview Week (back when it was a Premium Channel) or when I visited my grandma out in the western part of the state.

I miss the OLD Disney Channel.

They need to air the following movies:

Lion Witch and Wardrobe
Cars
Ratatouie
Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (they haven't aired for at least 2 years)
Old Disney movies like Parent Trap and Pollyanna
The Mickey Mouse Club

They need to stop airing the following:

Harry Potter (WB)
Non Disney Studio Films such as
Beethoven
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (WB)

I'd like to see Kim Possible back on at a time when most people are awake.

BTW, Hallmark channel airs more disney movies than Disney Channel does.

My 9 year old niece who watches Disney Channel WAY TOO MUCH thinks any movie that airs on DC is automatically a Disney movie. I've had to explain to her that DC doesn't always AIR Disney Movies.

While we're reminiscing about the REAL Disney channel before it was taken over by nauseatingly sweet teenie bopper shows........if you won the chance to do the programming for Disney Channel lineup for ONE Month (or even a week) what would you air?

I'd bring back the Disney Sunday Night movie like ABC used to do many years ago. One month would be classic animated films like Dumbo, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians. One Month would be classic live action: Parent Trap, Pollyanna, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.

I'd restrict teenie bopper shows to 3 - 6 PM (central) every M-F.

p.s. Flight of the Navigator aired on Hallmark channel last weekend on Saturday morning. Great Movie.

edit to add at 8:07 PM:

Disney Channel was still a premium channel for $7.95 a month when I got it in fall of 2000 @ my house. Not sure when it became part of the full basic service. Of course, my Time Warner is VERY far behind the times.....
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.