My Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs BluRay Copy

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Umm, the comparison on DVDBeaver is between the DVD and Blu from the Diamond Edition package, not the 2001 Platinum. That means this is a comparison between the same restoration so any differences in restoration quality is in your head. The only differences are the Blu-ray's higher resolution and more accurate color timing (notice the VERY LIGHT green tint on the DVD that is absent on the Blu). The Blu image is superior.

I wish they would compare the 2001 Platinum with the new Diamond restoration like they did between Pinocchio (drastic difference for the better) but instead we just get a comparison of the same restoration like we did with Sleeping Beauty. Good to see anyways.

Thanks brownpuppy for the sneak peak. Is the BatB trailer for IMAX or Diamond release and does the Ponyo trailer mention the Blu-ray release?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Marky_198 wrote: See what you want to see, and feel free to fool yourself with the idea that everything new must be better, but if you are from this world and actually pay attention and see what's in front of you, you would notice this too.
I think that plenty of us know what we're looking at and to assume that any of us are essentially not paying attention to the films is completely wrong of you. In fact, It already seems that many of us prefer the blu over the dvd screen caps.

After reading all of your posts about how the older versions are better in every single new release topic since you joined the forum, and your comments on future DAC releases (ie The Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel), I would recommend you take your own advice and twist it around for yourself.

You should stop fooling yourself into the idea that everything new must be horrible.

I don't think you really give anything new a chance and if you'd see past your biased against the new you'd see how ridiculous some of your claims are. That is why a lot of us get frustrated. How on earth does the prince look any more feminine in the Blu shot than in the dvd shot? How does Snow look less human than in the DVD shot? Those are just silly things to say. The picture did not change THAT much. true, there is a slight color change and because the picture on the blu release is clearer you see more detail. The only backup I can see for you prince argument, for example, are that now you can see the detail in his eyes much clearer. His eyelashes appear blurred in the DVD release, whereas in the Blue you can actually see them. It would appear to me that the original artist drew them onto the character, so they were meant to be seen along with any other detail in his face. Are you saying the detail makes him less masculine? If that's the case, then you will never enjoy the character because he was apparently designed that way.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Maybe in ten years when "Snow White" is released on Man-ray, the 1080i testosterone will finally make the Prince look butch enough for Marky.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

Dear Brown Puppy ,

I see from a quick perusal of features that The Witch At The Cauldron deleted sequence does not seem to be included in the new Blu Ray version !!

This is a great disappointment to me as I was really looking forward to seeing how it looked post restoration as it was in both the two previous Laserdisc & 2001 Platinum DVD releases!!

Can you confirm to me , please , from having viewed the new Blu Ray whether or not The Witch At The Cauldron deleted sequence is or isn't on the new Blu Ray set???
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

PatrickvD wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Prince has looked like a girl in any shot on any format in any decade since 1937. :lol: No format-update is gonna change that or make it less/more noticeable.
Oh, the pink powder and blush, and the red lips in the Blu-ray DEFINITELY makes it more noticeable.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

jpanimation wrote:Umm, the comparison on DVDBeaver is between the DVD and Blu from the Diamond Edition package, not the 2001 Platinum.
Well, then I'll definitely go for the dvd, as it just looks better.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

singerguy04 wrote:. How on earth does the prince look any more feminine in the Blu shot than in the dvd shot? How does Snow look less human than in the DVD shot? Those are just silly things to say. The picture did not change THAT much. true, there is a slight color change and because the picture on the blu release is clearer you see more detail. The only backup I can see for you prince argument, for example, are that now you can see the detail in his eyes much clearer. His eyelashes appear blurred in the DVD release, whereas in the Blue you can actually see them. It would appear to me that the original artist drew them onto the character, so they were meant to be seen along with any other detail in his face. Are you saying the detail makes him less masculine? If that's the case, then you will never enjoy the character because he was apparently designed that way.
I have been thinking about that myself too.
I guess it has to do with the rediculous sharpness, and EVERY filmic element and charm that is removed. These screenshots are a good example of why the shot of the prince on the wall, of Snowwhite with her hand up DON'T work anymore.

For some reason the snowwhite shot makes me laugh, as it looks really silly. While the dvd screenshot pulls me right into the story.

And yes, it is that much of a difference.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Marky_198 wrote:Well, you could at least be honest and take a proper look, instead of givinge me the roll-eye.
Oh, for Christ's sake. Whether you believe it or not, I had looked at the page Deco King linked. Or have I got to document every action that I make on UD? :roll: I was rolling my eyes because it seems like you have the same strict opinion and can't seem to think differently. singerguy04 has said everything I would like to say, so go and read his post. Don't be arrogant. As jpanimation said, the DVD restoration is pretty much the same as the Blu-Ray restoration, with the only differences coming as a result of one being HD, the other being SD, and unless you do like the slight green tint that the SD version would bring about, then there's no real reason to moan. And let's not be too imaginative; whilst the Prince in Snow White always looked like he'd come out of a MaxFactor convention, I don't see how the Blu-Ray version could really make him look sillier. They're not reanimating huge chunks of the film. :p
Marky_198 wrote:See what you want to see, and feel free to fool yourself with the idea that everything new must be better, but if you are from this world and actually pay attention and see what's in front of you, you would notice this too.
And just to clarify, I regularly read newspapers and their websites, I can speak French, English and German all at least well enough to get by, one of my most visited non-UD pages is the BBC News website and I enjoy watching documentaries and news programmes on TV. So, I'm sad to say, but I do actually pay attention to lots in the world. :D And from doing so, I can safely say that sometimes new is better, sometimes old is better; it's all relative. And on a greater scale of things in this world, the colours in a Disney film aren't all that important. ;)
Last edited by Wonderlicious on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

A lot of people have requested comparisions between the 2001 restoration and the 2009. I couldn't get all of the exact frames shown in the review, but I got close. This is just to give you an idea of what the restoration looks like. The top images are the 2001 DVD and the bottom are the 2009 Blu-Ray.

2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Marky_198 wrote: see, and feel free to fool yourself with the idea that everything new must be better, but if you are from this world and actually pay attention and see what's in front of you, you would notice this too.
But riddle me this. Are we seeing something "New" that is once again "Old"? And did you think what you saw as "Old" was infact "New"?

Unless you were there in 1937, you don't know how it looked when it was "New".
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Marky_198 wrote:
singerguy04 wrote:. How on earth does the prince look any more feminine in the Blu shot than in the dvd shot? How does Snow look less human than in the DVD shot? Those are just silly things to say. The picture did not change THAT much. true, there is a slight color change and because the picture on the blu release is clearer you see more detail. The only backup I can see for you prince argument, for example, are that now you can see the detail in his eyes much clearer. His eyelashes appear blurred in the DVD release, whereas in the Blue you can actually see them. It would appear to me that the original artist drew them onto the character, so they were meant to be seen along with any other detail in his face. Are you saying the detail makes him less masculine? If that's the case, then you will never enjoy the character because he was apparently designed that way.
I have been thinking about that myself too.
I guess it has to do with the rediculous sharpness, and EVERY filmic element and charm that is removed. These screenshots are a good example of why the shot of the prince on the wall, of Snowwhite with her hand up DON'T work anymore.

For some reason the snowwhite shot makes me laugh, as it looks really silly. While the dvd screenshot pulls me right into the story.

And yes, it is that much of a difference.
Well, I will never say your opinion is wrong (so i hope you never think I come off that way), but I find it extremely hard to see where you're coming from. I really cannot see how you can claim there is THAT much of a difference between the two shots of the film. Especially as big of one to say that one can pull you into the story and one cannot. I feel that statement to be a grave over-exaggeration.

Snow White's design has never been a perfect one, and that frame especially shows it. It's kind of a ridiculous frame to choose in general because she does look slightly ridiculous. However, that would be seen in ANY version of this shot.

I just feel really sorry that you can't enjoy the film the way it was supposed to be.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Marky_198 wrote:
Wonderlicious wrote:
As much as I don't want to do this...

:roll:
Well, you could at least be honest and take a proper look, instead of giving me the roll-eye.

I think anyone can see that there is not much of a difference between the shots by the wishing well, the queen, and the dwarves shots.

Some other shots, however, like the one with the Prince sitting on the wall, look really bad. The prince looks more feminent and cartoonish than ever before in the Blu-ray shot. I like the dvd screenshot much more. The colors just look better.

And also the one where Snow white stands with her hands put up, she doesn't even look human anymore in the Blu-ray shot. While she does loos human in the dvd shot.

See what you want to see, and feel free to fool yourself with the idea that everything new must be better, but if you are from this world and actually pay attention and see what's in front of you, you would notice this too.
They're using the same transfer only one is masters in HD :lol:
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I'm kinda glad their releasing BATB before Fantasia. Maybe they'll stick with this and not change it. And, I really don't care if Dumbo is part of the Diamond collection, I'm just excited it's getting a Blu release!!!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

CampbellzSoup wrote:
Marky_198 wrote: Well, you could at least be honest and take a proper look, instead of giving me the roll-eye.

I think anyone can see that there is not much of a difference between the shots by the wishing well, the queen, and the dwarves shots.

Some other shots, however, like the one with the Prince sitting on the wall, look really bad. The prince looks more feminent and cartoonish than ever before in the Blu-ray shot. I like the dvd screenshot much more. The colors just look better.

And also the one where Snow white stands with her hands put up, she doesn't even look human anymore in the Blu-ray shot. While she does loos human in the dvd shot.

See what you want to see, and feel free to fool yourself with the idea that everything new must be better, but if you are from this world and actually pay attention and see what's in front of you, you would notice this too.
:lol:

That's true. We really shouldn't be seeing much difference in that respect.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

CampbellzSoup wrote:
I know that, and I'm starting to realize that HD ruins an animated film, because it makes it look like Hanna Barbera.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Marky_198 wrote:
CampbellzSoup wrote:
I know that, and I'm starting to realize that HD ruins an animated film, because it makes it look like Hanna Barbera.
To be fair, I wouldn't make a final judgment based on screenshots. My Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty DVDs look much better than the screenshots made it appear to be. The screenshots made the colors look darker and the image less sharp than they appeared on my TV. You have to consider the imperfections screenshots have.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Marky_198 wrote:
CampbellzSoup wrote:
You do realize both Blu-rays and dvds are lower resolution copies from 35mm elements? So either you just have to get used to the fact that an animated film simply looks different from the way you were used to, or moviegoers in the thirties would complain about the fact that animated movies would look awful on a big screen. And I never heard anything like the second.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Marky_198 wrote:
CampbellzSoup wrote:
Or perhaps that's how the film always looked? Only now you can see the artists flaws because you aren't running it on a low res, grainy, and dusty print of the film?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Or perhaps that's how the film always looked? Only now you can see the artists flaws because you aren't running it on a low res, grainy, and dusty print of the film?
Now come on, we all know that a lower resolution, lots of grain, dirt/dust, and anything else that detracts from the original textures and colors of the artwork adds so much to the look and feel of a cartoon, and definitely keeps it from looking like something produced for Saturday mornings.

:D
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

My favorite part of the movie is when Snow White, Mr. T and the seven dwarfs met the Harlem Globetrotters. And then it turned out the wicked queen was really old man Higgins in disguise! It's easy to see why this movie is a classic.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"