BREAKING NEWS: Roman Polanski arrested

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

BREAKING NEWS: Roman Polanski arrested

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainm ... d-outrage/

I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this, but I genuinely feel sorry for the man. He's really never recovered from Sharon Tate's murder, and his life will now be destroyed by this latest event. A terrible tragedy.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I'm a little confused...

Why was he arrested there? Who ordered it?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Roman Polanski: Born and lived in Nazi Poland as a Jew, his parents sent to two different concentration camps. His mother died in one, his father survived.

Later moved to the United States. First film, Knife in the Water, followed by Repulsion. Later directed Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby. Won best director for The Pianist and his most recent film is another adaption of Oliver Twist.

His wife, Sharon Tate, and his unborn child were victims of the Manson murders. Also involved in the murders were three family friends and others.

Years after the murders he raped a woman. He pleaded guilty and fled the United States living in France. He tried to get into Switzerland today to receive a film award, but was apprehended by the Swiss who will likely extradite him to the United States to be prosecuted.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

castleinthesky wrote: Years after the murders he raped a woman. He pleaded guilty and fled the United States living in France. He tried to get into Switzerland today to receive a film award, but was apprehended by the Swiss who will likely extradite him to the United States to be prosecuted.
Actually he had consentual sex with a 13 year old, or statutory rape. I gotta say I disagree. A crime is a crime. You don't get out of it because your mommy spanked you when you were five or because you are famous.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I'll probably get shot down for this but I'm not a big fan of his movies. Regardless of my feelings on him movie making abilities, I think this is BS. He had consensual sex with a 13 year old, and while sex with a minor is illegal, I think the fact that it was consensual and not out right rape should grant him some leniency. That and the fact that she sued him for it and they settled it with cash years ago. Both the girl (now a woman) and Polanski want this case thrown out. No one involved is asking for this and brining up an old case against someone who left this country years ago just seems like a waste of tax dollars.

I'm all for upholding the law and protecting our children but who is this case benefiting? Certainly not the victim.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I'll probably get shot down for this but I'm not a big fan of his movies. Regardless of my feelings on him movie making abilities, I think this is BS. He had consensual sex with a 13 year old, and while sex with a minor is illegal, I think the fact that it was consensual and not out right rape should grant him some leniency. That and the fact that she sued him for it and they settled it with cash years ago. Both the girl (now a woman) and Polanski want this case thrown out. No one involved is asking for this and brining up an old case against someone who left this country years ago just seems like a waste of tax dollars.

I'm all for upholding the law and protecting our children but who is this case benefiting? Certainly not the victim.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I remember watching a "20/20" special about a married couple with children, where the husband is a registered sex offender. And the only reason he is a registered sex offender is because the husband was over 18 when he met his wife (he was 19, she was 15). And the wife's mother didn't like the husband, so she called the police on him with a statutory rape charge (never mind that it was consensual). He went to jail for a few years, but as soon as the wife turned 18, they got married and live happily with their own family. They've been trying to get a judge (any judge) to remove him from the sex offenders list, but they can't because the judge believes that there are no exceptions to the law.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

jpanimation wrote:I think the fact that it was consensual
Um.. it wasn't. Not that I care either way, just saying, it wasn't consensual. At least from all I've heard/read.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

xxhplinkxx wrote:
Um.. it wasn't. Not that I care either way, just saying, it wasn't consensual. At least from all I've heard/read.
The girl involved has since tried to request the case be closed; she's over the whole incident and the courts should respect her wishes, if no-one else's. Everyone who knows Polanski would attest that he's a broken man, forced to spend the last 20 years as an exile because of one mistake. Surely everyone deserves a second chance?

My DVD Collection :
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

xxhplinkxx wrote:
I guess the questions here are:

A) did he know she was 13?
B) was she drunk?
C) who got her drunk?
D) what was he on?

And, of course, E) why in the living hell was he suddenly up and arrested in Switzerland? Just because he was there... I don't buy it. Who ordered it?
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Lazario wrote:
xxhplinkxx wrote: Um.. it wasn't. Not that I care either way, just saying, it wasn't consensual. At least from all I've heard/read.
I guess the questions here are:

A) did he know she was 13?
B) was she drunk?
C) who got her drunk?
D) what was he on?

And, of course, E) why in the living hell was he suddenly up and arrested in Switzerland? Just because he was there... I don't buy it. Who ordered it?
The US Marshall service put out an international arrest warrant in 2005. Polanski knew it had existed since then but risked travel on several occaisions. Somebody was paying attention this time and enforced it. All perfectly legal under international law.

I would think it was consentual or the charges would have been far worse. However, under US and most law a 13 year old can not give consent, thus the statutory rape law.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

In other news Woody Allen has demanded the release of Roman Polanski. On the plus side, at least Roman didn't do his own kids when they were minors.

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Mr. Toad wrote:In other news Woody Allen has demanded the release of Roman Polanski. On the plus side, at least Roman didn't do his own kids when they were minors.
:lol:

My DVD Collection :
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I've heard some use the argument that since the victim has managed to move on from the crime the justice system should do the same. :o
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

If this was a case where he was never caught for years due to lack of knowing who it was and now with DNA technology was able to to bring justice to a family who never knew who the culprut was or some story like that I would say throw the book at him...perhaps...depending on the case and all that

But in my opinion....seeing it was settled and the biggest factor the victim says move on then they should respect that......and it's not like this guy has been on the run for years in a undisclosed location and this is the first sighting of him since the crime was comitted.....in my opinion...Aren't there bigger fish to fry in terms of catching a person who did a sex crime or maybe there should be as much manpower as to prevent something like this from happeinging to someone else....Now If this director had done this crime like in the past year or see him as a threat or if he has been continuing doing stuff like this and there are more cases than this girl who says she got a settlement than I would say throw the book at him.....I am not at all trying to justify his actions.....I agree what he did was very very wrong however he's not doing this kind of crime now and it's not like it happened to a mass amount of people and this happened over 30 years ago from what I heard on the news....

I really don't think that this guy is a threat to society so....yes maybe a slap on the rist with 1 year jail time and a fine in this particual case would be in order....unless he is still doing stuff like this....which I don't think he did.....or at least not that i've heard throughout this whole scandal....

I think honestly more time an effort should be spent bringing Bin Ladin to justice... than a 30 year old scandal that the victim has been settled and there are not other cases like this in his history...or currently doing these types of things....
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I only know of him because of some of his movies. It was a little surprising to hear he was caught.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I'm not making excuses for him, but circumstances must be taken into account with Polanski's situation:

His wife (actress Sharon Tate) and unborn baby son were murdered by Manson cult followers in the late 1960s. Friends and family members will attest that Polanski has never quite recovered from that ordeal and this might have been why he tried reaching out to the 13-year-old girl (who did look a lot like Tate). The girl has since asked that the case be closed.

Whoever arranged Polanski's arrest obviously has a larger agenda behind them. No-one is immune from justice but in this instance I believe justice has already been served.

My DVD Collection :
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

There is no such thing as having consensual sex with a 13 year old. Any child under 18....its rape, plain and simple. A person under 18 does not need to say no, fight back or cry for it to be rape. I don't feel bad for the bastard at all. Millions of other Jews were in concentration camps and suffered under Nazi rule...they didn't all turn out to be pedophiles.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Siren wrote:There is no such thing as having consensual sex with a 13 year old. Any child under 18....its rape, plain and simple. A person under 18 does not need to say no, fight back or cry for it to be rape. I don't feel bad for the bastard at all. Millions of other Jews were in concentration camps and suffered under Nazi rule...they didn't all turn out to be pedophiles.
A very enlightened point of view. Like, fer shur.

By the way, show of hands, how many of you people here were under the age of 18 when you lost your virginity?

:roll:
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

*Deleted*
Last edited by universALLove on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.