Disney Music in Non-Disney Movies/TV Shows

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disney Music in Non-Disney Movies/TV Shows

Post by Escapay »

If there is a topic already about this, I certainly don't know about it (and this coming from your neighborhood-friendly Search Nazi).

Anyway, the last episode of "As the World Turns" was today :cry: and I noticed that during a couple scenes, they actually used some of the Enchanted score (namely the soft flute/strings/piano piece "Robert Says Goodbye") during a scene between Katie and Chris that segued into a scene with Bob and Kim. It sounded so fitting with what they were talking about, that had I not known it was from Enchanted would have figured the show's composer really brought out the big guns for the last episode. Once someone uploads the final episode to youtube, which I'm sure will happen before the day's over, I'll post it here so everyone can watch and listen.

But it got me thinking, what are other instances in movies or television where a Disney song was used as background music? I'm not talking about something like a character humming "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" or something. But when a song is used as an instrumental piece to heighten the drama or comedy in a scene.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

When You Wish Upon A Star being played at the climax at Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind immediately comes to mind.

I know this isn't what you were looking for, but the ending of Full Metal Jacket is particularly haunting.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Thanks, Justin! I haven't seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind since 2007, and at the time I wasn't fully invested in watching it (I had just come home from a funeral, so my mind was on other things). Will have to check it out soon.

I've never seen Full Metal Jacket (shocking, I know). Is there Disney music at the end of that?

I guess I could change the original intent of the thread to include lyrical uses of songs. But one where it's a natural part of the film and characters, and not necessarily a "Hey look, we're gonna briefly reference something Disney!"

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

not what youre after, but i watched an episode of vicar of dibley last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNcs4PkySYw very well done. they must have practised heaps.
big kid at heart
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

That Disneyland episode of Roseanne (Part 2) played "When You Wish Upon a Star" as well- but on DVD, of course, they cut it out.

Oh, and, speaking of British comedy... there was an episode of some show (I can't remember which one) where they started trying to whistle "Whistle While You Work" and they purposely get it wrong (probably to avoid being sued). I also heard this screwed-up whistling of this song in a little low-budget horror movie from the 80's once. That's Disney for ya, famous for 2 things: family entertainment and screwing (suing) people!
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

In Fantasic Mr. Fox, 'Love' from Robin Hood plays on a radio when Mr. Fox and his family are chilling in their yard.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

^ I knew that song was underrated.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Special thanks to Yodaluver28 for uploading the final episode.

Here's the scenes I was talking about (fast-forward to 5:10)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QaALg4pUwio?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QaALg4pUwio?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And Fantastic Mr. Fox is the type of use I was thinking about. Thanks, Sky Syndrome!

The Dibley clip is hilarious!

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Escapay wrote: I've never seen Full Metal Jacket (shocking, I know). Is there Disney music at the end of that?
Yeah, the final scene has the troop singing the Mickey Mouse Club theme song.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PmILOL55xP0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PmILOL55xP0?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>