Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition (October 5th!)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition (October 5th!)

Post by CampbellzSoup »

JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

DisneyChris, is there any way you could take a few screen captions from the DVD included in the set? Particularly of Belle and the Beast sitting down to dinner and of Gaston in the hunting lodge.
Want2beBelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Want2beBelle »

I can't wait!! Thanks for those pics.... and for the previews on the next diamond editions, def' getting Lion King, doubt that i will get Bambi idk not a top fav
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

I don't think this was pointed out already, but forgive me if it has. The discs state that the Blu-ray us Region Free. Has Disney EVER done that with a DAC? A classic one at that?
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

In my signature, I've uploaded Jordin Sparks version of "Beauty and the Beast" song. I made it more CD qulity friendly. I liked the version I put up before, don't get me wrong, but I made it more louder so when you rip it to CD, you don't have to crank up the volume as much. :)

Enjoy!
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Did anyone else notice from DisneyChris' post that it looks like Disney has switched to a different type of Blu-ray case?

They had previously been using Vortex brand cases, which have a little raised "bubble"/circle in the blue plastic where the "Blu-ray" silver embossed logo is. The case in DisneyChris' picture doesn't have that raised shape. I've seen other studios using this type of case as well.

The one on the right is a Vortex brand case, previously used by Disney for DAC releases, and the one on the left appears to be what they have switched to.

The only reason I know the brand Vortex is that I had to buy a replacement case for my Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray. I know this is not a big deal, but I know a lot of people on this board like consistency.
filmmusic
Limited Issue

Post by filmmusic »

JustOneBite87 wrote:DisneyChris, is there any way you could take a few screen captions from the DVD included in the set? Particularly of Belle and the Beast sitting down to dinner and of Gaston in the hunting lodge.
yes please. i'm looking forward to seeing some screenshots too!
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

filmmusic wrote:
JustOneBite87 wrote:DisneyChris, is there any way you could take a few screen captions from the DVD included in the set? Particularly of Belle and the Beast sitting down to dinner and of Gaston in the hunting lodge.
yes please. i'm looking forward to seeing some screenshots too!
Me three! :D
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

MJW wrote:Did anyone else notice from DisneyChris' post that it looks like Disney has switched to a different type of Blu-ray case?
It hasn't been Disney's first time though. They have used it on a few of Bolt's and all of Up's cases. It is a lot like the locks on dvd cases, some releases will have non-vortex. It started on Pocahontas but my Ratatouille does not have it.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Sorry for this late reply. It was kinda late and I got sleepy... Anyway, I'll try to answer all your questions now.

First off, here's the complete list of bonus features (dunno about any easter eggs):

Disc 1
- Work-in-Progress Edition (Picture-in-picture mode on Blu-ray; fullscreen mode on DVD)
- Audio Commentary (Special Edition)
- Broadway Beginnings (13:07)
- Composing A Classic: A Musical Conversation with Alan Menken, Don Hahn and Richard Craft (20:18 )
- Deleted Scenes: "Alternate Story Open" (18:24 + intro by Peter Schneider), "Belle in the Library" (8:27 + intro by Roger Allers)
- Jordin Sparks "Beauty and the Beast" Music Video (3:26)
- Sneak Peeks: Tangled, Bambi: Diamond Edition, Toy Story 3, The Lion King: Diamond Edition, Alice in Wonderland: Special 60th Anniversary Edition, Dumbo: 70th Anniversary Edition, A Christmas Carol

P.S.: The film now opens with the new Walt Disney Pictures logo and Walt Disney Animation Studios logo; the old blue castle logo is gone. :(

Disc 2
Beyond Beauty
[Act I]
- Act I: Beyond Beauty: The Untold Stories Behind the Making of Beauty and the Beast (7:05)
- Disney: A Fairy Tale (8:04)
- Laugh-O-Gram Fairy Tales: Puss in Boots (10:56); Little Red Riding Hood (6:18 ), Cinderella (7:23), The Four Musicians of Bremen (8:27)
[Act II]
- Act II: Struggling with the Beast (9:22)
- Full Circle to Broadway (9:56)
- The Purdum Reel (18:54)
[Act III]
- Act III: Something There (15:00)
- Ever A Surprise: A Portrait of Howard Ashman (13:25)
- Deleted Scene: Alternate "Be Our Guest" (4:14)
- Deleted Scene: "Belle in Library" (9:01)
- "Human Again" Reel (7:37)
[Act IV]
- Act IV: Casting A Spell (5:49)
- Animation & Production Galleries
--Image Galleries
---Storyboard Art
---Character Design (The Beast, Belle, Gaston, Objects)
-- Video Galleries
---Character Development: The Beast (3:48 ), Cogsworth (2:51), Lumiere (2:48 ), Gaston (3:11), Mrs. Potts (2:13), New Digital Horizons (4:20), Will vs. Nik (3:13), Acting as a Team: Bringing Belle and the Beast to Life (6:43)
---Cartoons: Silly Symphony China Shop (8:54), Silly Symphony Music Land (10:23), Doorknob Clip from Alice in Wonderland (2:12)
[Act V]
- Act V: A Fairy-tale Ending (12:25)
- Frame by Frame: A Thumbnail Sketch of the History of Animation (13:56)
- Backgrounds & Concepts (Visual Development; Backgrounds)
[Act VI]
- Act VI: Classic Beauty (3:34)

Games & Activities
- Enchanted Musical Challenge: A Disney Quest Game
- Bonjour Who Is This: A Disney TelePlay Game

Classic DVD Bonus Features
- The Story Behind the Story (Intro, Cinderella, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Jungle Book, Sleeping Beauty, Mulan, The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
- Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson "Beauty and the Beast" Music Video
- Alternate Version: "Be Our Guest"
- Alternate Score: Transformation
- Deleted Song "Human Again" (intro by Don Hahn & Alan Menken)
- Animation (Animation Tests, Roughs and Clean Ups; The Transformation: Pencil Version; A Transformation: Glen Keane)
- Camera Move Tests
- Trailers & TV Spots (Intro by Don Hahn; Original Release Trailer; Large Format Release Trailer; 4 TV Spots)

Escapay wrote:1. Are the new deleted scenes (Purdum Reel, Belle in Library) on both Disc 1 and Disc 2? Or just on Disc 2?

2. Does the DVD presentation of the 3 versions do it via seamless branching?

3. Is that really all there is for Classic DVD Features? It's only about half of what was assumed to be offered (based on the introductions being re-passed by BBFC), If it will only include what's listed, then we lose the "Animation Tests, Roughs, & Clean Ups", "The Transformation: Pencil Version", "A Transformation: Glen Keane", "Camera Move Test: The Ballroom", and trailers/tv spots.

4. Are the song demos included anywhere? And if so, which ones?
1. As seen from above, the deleted scenes are on Disc 1 and also included with Beyond Beauty in Disc 2. "Alternate Story Open" on Disc 1 = "Purdum Reel" on Disc 2.
2. Yeah, I believe it uses seamless branching.
3. As you can see those features you mentioned are included. ;)
4. Hmm, I don't notice any song demos unfortunately.

Btw, Escapay, nice to talk with you again, it's been so long since that "Coustom" fiasco. :P
jpanimation wrote:Are the chairs they're sitting in at the dining room table brown or red?
Unfortunately it is red... after viewing it again, the colors are indeed closer to the Platinum's than the original's, however as I said before the redness isn't as severe as the Platinum's.

I would love to post some screencaps of the DVD but I'm in a hurry right now so you guys will need to wait a little longer (I'll try to do that within today). Sorry about that! For now, here's some additional pics including the menu screens I shot directly from the TV display. In case you're wondering, I also took shots of the film itself but the colors turned up differently in the camera, so I won't post them in order to prevent any unnecessary worrying.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by DisneyChris on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Definetly the Disney release of the holiday season! :D
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

It's nice to see a return to the CGI "3D" world menus like the earliest platinum titles had. Pinocchio had them to a lesser extent, but nothing like what I see here. Very sad that it seems we will never see the original theatrical color palette again though. :cry:

I may pull a Marky and get the old laserdisc just to see the movie like it once was.

On a side note, DisneyChris: have you watched the theatrical version to make sure that the colors are identical to those of the extended edition?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Whoa, Bambi's the next Dimond edition? did we know this already? is the trailer online anywhere?

Also, is the Lion King trailer on this one?
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

WOW, it's 3:45am in Jersey and I need to get my butt to bed!

But, I bet the transfer is the one on IMB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101414/videogallery

Where Belle's dad is talking to her about Gaston and before he goes off to the fair. I bet that is the transfer, and to me it looks wonderful! :D
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

OK, here are 30 screencaps directly from the new DVD:

Image Image Image Image Image

Hmm, is it just me, or is the ballroom scene redder on the DVD than what I saw on the Blu-ray... I wonder if it's my brightness/color settings or what. :S
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

zackisthewalrus wrote:I don't think this was pointed out already, but forgive me if it has. The discs state that the Blu-ray us Region Free. Has Disney EVER done that with a DAC? A classic one at that?
I think a lot of the Pixar stuff was region-free (and pretty sure that "Princess and the Frog" was too). The DVDBeaver website is a great reference to check, because they always note whether or not a BD is region-locked or region free.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

DisneyChris wrote:
Escapay wrote:1. Are the new deleted scenes (Purdum Reel, Belle in Library) on both Disc 1 and Disc 2? Or just on Disc 2?

2. Does the DVD presentation of the 3 versions do it via seamless branching?

3. Is that really all there is for Classic DVD Features? It's only about half of what was assumed to be offered (based on the introductions being re-passed by BBFC), If it will only include what's listed, then we lose the "Animation Tests, Roughs, & Clean Ups", "The Transformation: Pencil Version", "A Transformation: Glen Keane", "Camera Move Test: The Ballroom", and trailers/tv spots.

4. Are the song demos included anywhere? And if so, which ones?
1. As seen from above, the deleted scenes are on Disc 1 and also included with Beyond Beauty in Disc 2. "Alternate Story Open" on Disc 1 = "Purdum Reel" on Disc 2.
2. Yeah, I believe it uses seamless branching.
3. As you can see those features you mentioned are included. ;)
4. Hmm, I don't notice any song demos unfortunately.

Btw, Escapay, nice to talk with you again, it's been so long since that "Coustom" fiasco. :P
Awesome, thanks so much, Chris!

And yes, it has been awhile since the "Coustom" fiasco. There's not that many members now who know what the "Coustom" fiasco was, so it's nice seeing an oldschool UD member posting again, even if it's briefly.

I'm rather upset that the demos aren't included after all despite my speculation (and the BBFC passing, which may have simply been for one of the deleted scenes, I'll have to check the classification again), but as I have them on my computer, it's no big loss. Would've made for a nice inclusion, though.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

This comes out in Australia on October 15th, and may very well be a first-day purchase for me. All the bonuses focusing on the Broadway version sound promising; something I didn't think was mentioned as much as it should have been on the Platinum.

Will we also see a new interview with the GODDESS Susan Egan? I hope so... :)

My DVD Collection :
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Well, for my my money this transfer looks pretty solid. It might not be perfect, but its passable. I didn't even bother picking up the platinum edition the colors were so bad. I was going to pick it up eventually, but by the time I was going to buy it just made more sense to wait for the blu ray. looking forward to seeing all the bonus features, since Ive yet to see them.

Actually, truth be told, I haven't seen the movie in its entirety since, I think 1992.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Reading through the extra features, a lot of them seem to be new to the Diamond Edition. As with "Snow White", I think that a few bits won't get ported over, so those with the earlier Platinum will probably find themselves keeping both editions.

My DVD Collection :