The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Hello friends,

I'm very pleased to announce that my first book, The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom is on its way to bookstores! (EDIT: It's already available online! It's shipping now from Amazon.com at a pretty nice discount... link supports DVDizzy).

Here's a quick description of the book from the publisher:
A different kind of guidebook that leaves out the usual ephemera on trip planning, ticket prices, restaurants, and shopping to concentrate on what visitors to Magic Kingdom came to see - the rides and attractions. Each attraction gets its own essay covering the history and lore behind it along with a serious discussion of the attraction as a work of narrative fiction, which is what Disney attractions actually are. Ideal for the enthusiast and returning guest.
In many ways, this book grew out of my experiences writing for this website and participating on this forum, and I think that's one of the things that's so exciting about it (both for me personally and for all the many Disney fans who utilize and take part in this website).

You might even find a few references to DVDizzy in the book!

The book hits stores on 4/16/13, but you can go ahead and order it from Amazon (link supports DVDizzy) for immediate shipping. Preorders are also available from international Amazon stores, BarnesandNoble.com (also shipping now), many local bookstores, etc.

Here's the book cover (featuring the graphic contribution of official Disney Legend Charles Ridgway!):

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to see this book coming to fruition at long last, and I can't wait to share it with you all!

-Aaron
Last edited by AwallaceUNC on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

that's the best cover ever.

is this just wdw strictly or is there DL stuff too?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Super Aurora wrote:that's the best cover ever.
Thanks, SA! I'm quite happy with it myself.
Super Aurora wrote:is this just wdw strictly or is there DL stuff too?
The book is focused specifically on Magic Kingdom park in Walt Disney World. That said, there is quite a bit of Disneyland discussion woven throughout the entire book — and not just in the periphery.

While it doesn't get into messy A/B comparisons between the two resorts, the book does consider the way these two parks have influenced each other over the years, and when a Magic Kingdom attraction has its roots in Disneyland, those roots are examined. And in the case of attractions that are relatively similar on both coasts (e.g. Mad Tea Party, Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, etc.), the commentary is largely applicable to Disneyland as well.

So at the end of the day, it's a book about Walt Disney World, but as a dedicated fan of all Disney parks, I really feel that there's quite a bit to think about and enjoy with this book for any Disney fan, regardless of where your "home park" is (or even if you've never been to one!)
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I requested the excerpt and read it, found it quite interesting and amusing. Wanted to order it, but unfortunately no shipping info to The Netherlands.

I was able to choose Netherlands from the options, but the shipping quote disappeared as soon as I did. So, I guess no international shipping?

I am visiting WDW in October and thought this book would be a nice read during the (13 hour) flight there.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Khonnor wrote:I requested the excerpt and read it, found it quite interesting and amusing.
Thank you, Khonnor! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :) I've been hearing lots of positive feedback and it's very encouraging, so thank you.
Khonnor wrote:Wanted to order it, but unfortunately no shipping info to The Netherlands.

I was able to choose Netherlands from the options, but the shipping quote disappeared as soon as I did. So, I guess no international shipping?
The publisher recently launched a new shopping cart program and it's apparently experiencing a few snags with international shipping to a few countries. They're working on addressing that, but in the meantime, Amazon might be your best bet. I know Amazon doesn't have a Netherlands store, but I believe several of their international stores will ship to the Netherlands.

Amazon.com preorder (US)
Amazon.co.uk preorder (UK)
Amazon.fr preorder (France)
Amazon.de preorder (Germany)
(All copies are printed in English, regardless of which country you buy it in.)
Khonnor wrote:I am visiting WDW in October and thought this book would be a nice read during the (13 hour) flight there.
Very cool, and very exciting! I hope you have a great trip, and hopefully the book can get you pumped up as you countdown to your arrival. :D
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Ha, I'm sure it will! Already looking forward to it, gonna be my second visit...

Anyways, would you be able to let me know when they fix the international shipping "problem" or how much shipping would be to The Netherlands if I order from that site?

Amazon.uk aks 9 pounds, which is roughly $17, so yeah, wanna see what my options are.

Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

How long have you been working on this book?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'll buy a copy to support you. :) Besides, I don't know very much about the parks, so I wouldn't mind learning more from your book, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Aaron, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Looking forward to future volumes on the other WDW parks and Disneyland!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Good news, everyone! Even though the book doesn't officially release until next month, it's already available on Amazon! That means if you order your copy now, it will ship right away. They also happen to have it at a pretty nice discount (link supports DVDizzy).
Khonnor wrote:How long have you been working on this book?
I started working on the book in Spring 2009, so it's been a long time coming. Granted, I was in law school at the time and went on to join a law firm, etc., so I wasn't writing around the clock... but after several years of being wrapped up in the book, it's very gratifying to see it in print now. The early responses have all been extremely rewarding and encouraging. I think Disney fans can get a lot of out of this book, so I'm very excited for it.
Disney's Divinity wrote: I'll buy a copy to support you. :) Besides, I don't know very much about the parks, so I wouldn't mind learning more from your book, too.
Thanks, Disney's Divinity! There's so much to know about the parks (more than any one book could ever hold), but my goal was to create a new perspective on the park that actually goes into great detail for each attraction in a way that most Disney-related books do not, so I hope it can be revealing for you.

Have you had a chance to visit any of the parks?
carolinakid wrote:Aaron, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Looking forward to future volumes on the other WDW parks and Disneyland!
I'm so glad you had a chance to read it already. Thanks for the feedback; it's great to know you enjoyed it so much. :) Now it's time for you to plan a trip! :P
Last edited by AwallaceUNC on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Twitter - @aaronspod
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I'm headed there in May and Disneyland in October!

One quibble, Aaron. You misspelled Streisand's first name (it's Barbra, not Barbara) on page 215 in the box about Hello, Dolly!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Re: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kin

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Thanks for brining that to my attention!

And yay! Disney parks on both coasts with just a few months in between. Very exciting.
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disney's Divinity

Re:

Post by Disney's Divinity »

AwallaceUNC wrote: Thanks, Disney's Divinity! There's so much to know about the parks (more than any one book could ever hold), but my goal was to create a new perspective on the park that actually goes into great detail for each attraction in a way that most Disney-related books do not, so I hope it can be revealing for you.

Have you had a chance to visit any of the parks?
I visited Disney World almost a decade ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had the means to visit again (yet), but I would still like to know about the parks, so a lot of detail is a plus to me. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I purchased this book. It hasn't come in the mail yet - I can't wait to read it! It will pass the time for me while I'm waiting for our move to Orlando. :) I'll post again and let you know what I think.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

OK - I got it last night and am still in the first few chapters. BUT - I had to comment that on page 10 when the "Watch This" feature of the book was described, my heart leapt with joy because this is totally me. Being contained in a state that's almost 2,000 miles away from WDW and over 3,000 miles away from DLR, combined with having a family that's so large that flying is financially impossible, you need to do lots of things to pacify yourself between Disney trips. I know first-hand how difficult this is, when your heart belongs in the parks. Watching relevant material on home video is one of the only avenues you have available to you, aside from reading books about the parks. This is going to be my favorite part of the book and I can't wait to finish it.
Yay!
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I love that all three Amazon.com reviews are currently from UD members. ;)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Escapay wrote:I love that all three Amazon.com reviews are currently from UD members. ;)

Albert
What? Pedro Hernandez is an UD member? WHAAA?

... :P
ImageImageImageImage

CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I'm currently in the middle of reading my copy of the book. You've done a fantastic job, Aaron! :up:
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Bleh -- I still have to order mine. I honestly procrastinate in all aspects of life. I'm lame. :(

Very excited to hear all the positive reviews, however! :D
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

That looks like a good book. I'm going to put that on my birthday list.