Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MovieMan995
Limited Issue

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

Post by MovieMan995 »

The studio has picked up a pitch from Robert Rugan, an award-winning commercials director, who is writing an updated take on the characters in what is being envisioned as a live-action/CG hybrid.
Mandeville Films/TV, the Disney-based production shingle run by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman that is also behind the studio’s Muppets franchise, is producing.
Chip ‘n’ Dale first appeared in a 1943 animated short starring Pluto, and went on to appear in 22 reels stretching into the mid-1950s where the duo either annoyed Mickey’s faithful four-legged friend or squared off against Donald Duck.
They popped up in various Disney cartoons and comics but got a makeover in in 1989 with Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. The show saw Chip, the brains behind the pair, and Dale, the goofball, running a detective agency and helping animal clients. Disney made three seasons' worth of shows that then ran in syndication for the next decade on The Disney Channel.
It is from Rescue Rangers that the new project would spring as it tells an origin story of sorts.
Mandeville's Alexander Young is overseeing for the shingle and will exec produce.
Live-action/CG hybrids have proven to be quite successful. Fox is in the process of making a fourth Alvin and the Chipmunks picture while Sony Pictures Animation made two Smurfs movie.
Mandeville's Muppets Most Wanted hits theaters March 21.
STORY: PGS Entertainment Takes Rights to New 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' Series
Rugan has done spots for companies such as Visa, IFC, HBO, Kodak, Nikon and Durex, winning two CLIO Awards and the CyberLion at Cannes. He was also behind popular video Wiley vs Rhodes, a live-action spoof of a Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoon.
Rugen is attached to direct Genies (aka Children of the Lamp) at Paramount with Color Force (The Hunger Games) attached to produced. He is currently adapting the book series The Genius Files for Warners and wrote an original script titled Beauregard Thibodeau to which he is attached to direct while Logan Pictures is on board to produce.
He is repped by Verve, Kaplan/Perrone and Hirsch Wallerstein.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ale-676161
"For ever laugh there should be a tear". -Walt Disney
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney Reviving Chip 'n Dale for Live-Action Feature

Post by Kyle »

This wont end well.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

They need to finish releasing the original series on DVD before doing this new project!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
moviefan12
Gold Classic Collection

Post by moviefan12 »

I'm glad to see classic characters such as Chip 'n' Dale get a movie and I love that it's Rescue Rangers but why can't be it animated? That's my big question, animation to me would make more sense for this film and I think it would just look better that way.
Favorite Animated Disney films: 1. Dumbo, 2. Tangled, 3. Frozen, 4. Beauty and The Best, 5. The Little Mermaid, 6. Cinderella

Favorite Princesses, 1. Rapunzel, 2. Ariel, 3. Sofia, 4.Elsa, 5. Belle, 6. Cinderella/Anna
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I . . . don't know what to make of this. :|

All I can hope for it that it somehow revives interest in the Disney Afternoon shows; Tad Stones has stated that few execs know how big it was back in the day.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

What?! :shock: I honestly thought this was some kind of a joke. This is a horrible idea. First Pete's Dragon and now Chip n' Dale? This is bound to be horrendous-looking like Alvin and the Chipmunks and The Smurfs.

If this abomination-waiting-to-happen doesn't result in Disney releasing the rest of the series on DVD, I will be furious.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

If this is due out by 2015, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a chipmunk war in the theaters.

Right now I have no idea whether I should be scared or happy about this. This project came totally out of left field, or no not left field, more like out of no where. Perhaps Disney put a bunch of ideas in a container and drew one at random and this was it.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Ok, it's great that we're finally getting a movie based on the Disney characters, but live-action, CGI? :huh: :huh: :huh: Is hand-drawn really the plague at Disney?!

Saving judgement until we hear more.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Forgive me for posting one of the most overused video links, but I think this one speaks what I think:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s[/youtube]
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

What the hell am I reading.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Please tell me if this is a hoax. :|
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Why are they doing this? The third Alvin and the Chipmunks movie was the lowest grossing of the trilogy. Why bring in another series with talking animals to the mix? :?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I guess I'll be the only positive guy here, because I have to say I'm really excited for this movie. I think it's great that the Mouse is looking back at their Disney Afternoon days and the potential is so high to create an amazing Chip n Dale movie. I trust they will hired some talented folks to work on this.

Also, can you imagine the theme song playing in Surround Sound? Going to be amazing. :)
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

estefan wrote:I guess I'll be the only positive guy here, because I have to say I'm really excited for this movie. I think it's great that the Mouse is looking back at their Disney Afternoon days and the potential is so high to create an amazing Chip n Dale movie. I trust they will hired some talented folks to work on this.

Also, can you imagine the theme song playing in Surround Sound? Going to be amazing. :)
Yeah, but the critics hates movies that are based on cartoons. :|
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Yes, the *idea* of a Chip and Dale/Rescue Rangers movie is an exciting one. The fact that they are hopefully looking back at Disney Afternoon is great. But it's the way it's supposedly being done. They have to realize that "small CG creatures in large live action human world" is (1) completely outdone, and (2) immensely frowned upon by anyone who knows what they're talking about. Yes, the money is obviously there. But does Disney *need* to stoop there?

They could have Disneytoon create the same movie, except as an animated film (CG or traditional), and it would probably be great. It would serve the same purpose, to revive these characters, and it would be leaving these classic characters in the hands of people who understand how they should be handled.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

SWillie! wrote:Yes, the *idea* of a Chip and Dale/Rescue Rangers movie is an exciting one. The fact that they are hopefully looking back at Disney Afternoon is great. But it's the way it's supposedly being done. They have to realize that "small CG creatures in large live action human world" is (1) completely outdone, and (2) immensely frowned upon by anyone who knows what they're talking about. Yes, the money is obviously there. But does Disney *need* to stoop there?

They could have Disneytoon create the same movie, except as an animated film (CG or traditional), and it would probably be great. It would serve the same purpose, to revive these characters, and it would be leaving these classic characters in the hands of people who understand how they should be handled.
Gosh, I don't know. I don't mean to be negative and I love Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers, but I don't know if a live action movie version of this will work. I just hope they won't use any cheesy jokes like Smurfs and Alvin & the Chipmunks have.
MovieMan995
Limited Issue

Post by MovieMan995 »

The original animated series placed emphasis on scale though, and since because they were so small, everything to them appeared quite large, so seeing the real world from such a perspective in a live-action film could potentially work. I'm sure that when it was announced, there weren't many expecting great things from a 101 Dalmatians live-action film either, but that apparently was successful for Disney, so I'll wait to hear more about this before I form too much of an opinion. The original cartoon did have a 5-part origin story though, IIRC. Also, IMO, this will probably guarantee the release of the 2 remakes of the Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers games from the NES, plus character releases for Disney Infinity, so consider that a positive if you're not thrilled about the live-action movie.
"For ever laugh there should be a tear". -Walt Disney
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

MovieMan995 wrote:The original animated series placed emphasis on scale though, and since because they were so small, everything to them appeared quite large, so seeing the real world from such a perspective in a live-action film could potentially work. I'm sure that when it was announced, there weren't many expecting great things from a 101 Dalmatians live-action film either, but that apparently was successful for Disney, so I'll wait to hear more about this before I form too much of an opinion. The original cartoon did have a 5-part origin story though, IIRC. Also, IMO, this will probably guarantee the release of the 2 remakes of the Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers games from the NES, plus character releases for Disney Infinity, so consider that a positive if you're not thrilled about the live-action movie.
Well, I guess I'll give it a chance, just hopefully it won't be cheesy like the Smurfs were.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I'm surprised the Chip n Dale movie is going to be based on the Disney Afternoon show! In today's time that would never seem likely.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:I'm surprised the Chip n Dale movie is going to be based on the Disney Afternoon show! In today's time that would never seem likely.
They are banking on 90's nostalgia and might find it to be profitable.