The UltimateDisney.com Warm 'n' Fuzzy Throwback Thread (◕‿◕)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

The UltimateDisney.com Warm 'n' Fuzzy Throwback Thread (◕‿◕)

Post by Jules »

I've been meaning to do this in quite some time, and so here it is. :) This thread shall be a repository for all our memories on this site, experiences (good and bad - depending on what you're willing to share) and basically any other cool stuff that can be dug up either from our own archival storage devices or any obscure websites that are miraculously still online. :wink:

Have fun!

I think it's only fitting that I explain how I happened on this site in the first place. It was probably 2003-ish and I was still using a 56k dial-up modem. Connecting to the internet was still very much a luxury, and I was usually only allowed to do so to conduct online research for my homework. Still, I would browse around in the little time I had. While on Leonard Maltin's site, I stumbled across his "Recommended Links" page, which listed UltimateDisney.com prominently as a website "for Disney fans, by Disney fans." Seems Maltin really liked this place! :) And so I was hooked. Whenever I had the chance I'd visit to check out the latest news and DVD reviews. I still remember drooling at the Cinderella Platinum Edition DVD review. That was in 2005 but I hadn't joined here yet, because idiot me never noticed a little button spelling "FORUM" right below the top of the main page. :facepalm:

Well, in March 2006 it seems I finally grew a pair (of eyeballs) and clicked that fateful link, and it was at that point that the internet changed forever for me. The idea of an "online forum" was an unfamiliar one, but I registered anyway and started typing away! Those of you who remember me in those early days may recall how naïve I seemed, and that's because I was! I was truly in awe that I could write freely on the internet and interact with people from all over the world. I was 16 (soon to be 17), and I know I came off as immature at the time (and for many subsequent years :lol: ) but I remember this time extremely fondly!

I think my first three months on UD weren't very active because I could only access the site for limited time via dial-up. However, I think it was in June 2006 that I finally got my "always-on" cable internet, and then I was liberated. I think I spent that summer glued to my PC, mostly on the forums here. :)

So without further ado, here is my first post (and thread!) on Ultimate Disney. Be warned. It's cringey as hell, lol! :lol: :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14069&hilit=chicken+little

Can't believe I thought Chicken Little was better than Madagascar!
I wrote:Be careful! The Wild is not actually made by Disney. It's being made by a company called Core or something like that. Disney will simply be publishing it.

And is the upcoming CGI film (I don't know what it's called) about the boy genius who invents the memory-associated thimagagig made by Disney, or published by Disney?
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
I wrote:PS: Kind of nostalgic to see my first ever thread being bumped again. :D
Yeah ... apparently I wrote this a life-changing three months after first creating the thread! :lol:

Now that I've resurrected that discussion I'd like to highlight the following users who have since disappeared:

Timon/Pumbaa fan - The ultimate Chicken Little fan! I believe he was in his early teens back then, though I may be wrong.

Disney-Fan - A really fun guy from Israel, who I remember really being into the Xena Warrior Princess TV series. He also disappeared many years ago. Hope he's ok!

Lars Vermundsberget - I remember Lars as a very polite and level-headed forum member who I loved interacting with. In my mind's eye he was always an older, wiser man in his late thirties or forties. I think he was gone a few years after I joined.

2099net - This British member was one of the wittiest and funniest people around here. We discussed everything from Disney Animation to the Eurovision Song Contest. When I mentioned that I really wanted to listen to some of Terry Wogan's Eurovision commentary (I didn't have access to the BBC) he graciously DVRed and burned to disc at least three Eurovision finals which he'd mail overseas to me each year. I still have all those discs, as well as as two others containing the TV programme wherein British Viewers chose their country's Eurovision song (Making Your Mind Up / You Decide). It is also thanks to Netty that I have a copy of Disney's Song of the South. He DVRed it off the BBC for me. (Yes, apparently that movie was broadcast on national TV without any fuss in the UK 2007-ish.) Thank you for everything Netty! :)

magical wands and Pluto Region 1 - Two lovely people! If memory serves me, I was once magical wands' Secret Santa. :santa:

I can remember kbehm29, singerguy04, lighthousemike, Prince Eric, MerXAN and crunkcourt, but regrettably not much else. :cry:

Unfortunately the memory of Spongebob Squarepants, DisneZ, zack626, Ting Ting and MutantEnemy seems to elude me. I wonder if something might jog my memory.

I'll be back with more stuff! :wave:
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The UltimateDisney.com Warm 'n' Fuzzy Throwback Thread (

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Not crazy at all, Julian! I love that everyone welcomed you with open arms! That's the UD spirit! <3

Secret Santa!!!!!!! :pink:

I love that you're our historian!!

We used to have a UD chat room (I was actually a moderator)- I spent a lot of time in my college-and early-20s-years there, and I really got to know some of our members, who I miss!

Happily awaiting those portraits!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Not crazy at all, Julian! I love that everyone welcomed you with open arms! That's the UD spirit! <3
That reminds me ... everyone here was so friendly regardless of how I expressed myself (or how I barged in with "old news" like it was the newest headline shocker! :lol: )
blackcauldron85 wrote:I love that you're our historian!!
That's so kind of you! :) But I'm not sure I'm really worthy of that moniker. Honestly, all of you here are historians when you preserve memories. It doesn't have to be in this thread. :wink:
blackcauldron85 wrote:We used to have a UD chat room (I was actually a moderator)- I spent a lot of time in my college-and early-20s-years there, and I really got to know some of our members, who I miss!
Aaah! Totally forgot about that! :shock: I remember logging in but the place being mostly empty. I think I gave up eventually. Did it get busier in later years?

EDIT: Something I wanted to mention in my first post: Newer members, feel free to join in! :) You are obviously welcome to use this thread to reminisce even on relatively recent (i.e. post-2013) events on this site! After all, what happened just five minutes ago is history too, right? 8)
blackcauldron85

^Um, I don't know when the peak was. IIRC, we had to make a 2nd chat room? I would say that around 2008ish it was being used, so maybe 2007-2009ish, I don't quite remember.

*edit* Another memory: UD Forum Awards!!! Such a fun place. It still is- it's ebbed and flowed over the years as far as discussions, but we have great members with lots of great discussions so I'm very happy!
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^Um, I don't know when the peak was. IIRC, we had to make a 2nd chat room? I would say that around 2008ish it was being used, so maybe 2007-2009ish, I don't quite remember.

*edit* Another memory: UD Forum Awards!!! Such a fun place. It still is- it's ebbed and flowed over the years but we have great members with lots of great discussions so I'm very happy!
AMY!!!

I miss the UD days. I joined in October of 2006 and spent countless hours browsing, chatting and making friends on here. I look back on those days fondly and although I'm not really in contact with many of those people, I do miss the friendships I made over the years. I remember those chat rooms, especially 2008-2009. Great times!
UDer #3495 :D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I was really young when I joined the forum, not yet 12 actually. I’ve always felt a little guilty because I suspect I was a part of a larger influx of child members around that time and that we lowered the level of discourse on the site. That may then have led to an exodus from many of the interesting and intelligent posters here. Of course, plenty of interesting and intelligent people are still here and have joined in the years since! But I feel bad if I was part of a group that led to other posters losing interest in UD.

I had discovered the main site a few years prior, either 2004 or 2005. I was reading the IMDb boards (their closure is a real loss to the online film community IMHO) for Beauty and the Beast and someone mentioned Ultimate Disney (and then the following poster said not to join there because it’s only for Disney nerds haha) so I started reading Luke’s updates. I followed with particular interest the cover art haha. It amazed me that Luke has access to this cover art so early— I so distinctly remember seeing the 10th Anniversary Edition artwork for Pocahontas on this website before the title was released.

It took me forever to work up the courage to join the boards— prior to joining UD, I was a member of VMKingdom which was a forum dedicated to Disney short-lived MMORPG, Virtual Magic Kingdom. I joined that website when I was 10! But that site was a little more geared to children due to the nature of the game we were discussing.

About these members you’ve mentioned, most of them are before my time. T/P fan had become sort of trollish, but some members (maybe you, Julian, or Escapay?) reminded other posters of his past history which wasn’t so trollish.

I remember thinking 2099net was obviously intelligent! I think I got in a tiff with them or some other venerable poster over... I think, Tinker Bell getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Which I was either very happy or very unhappy about— I don’t remember and I’m too scared to look! I think I remember reading netty write something about AbFab (and Lazario was also a fan... speaking of Laz, I remember him getting very pissed at me for calling “Willy Wonka” overrated. To get back at me, he said “The Sound of Music” was overrated but the joke was on him, because I didn’t particularly like “The Sound of Music” back then!) which was probably where I first heard of the show.

I never joined the chat room because I thought I was too young, which I think was a smart instinct. Not that anything bad would have happened, but I was probably too young to talk to older teenagers and twenty-somethings about anything personal. And back then, I don’t know if you guys remember Internet safety, but it was very different! I distinctly remember a TV show that said never to share your name or even post a picture online wearing a local high school or university logo lest people identify you or where you lived! But by the time I was 15 in 2010, I had a Facebook and all that info was just out in the open.

I’ve missed Prudence for a very long time. She wasn’t active very long, if I recall, but she made quite an impression while she was here! I like the avvie/siggie set thedisneyspirit had recently which honored her and name dropped other classic UD users!

I always liked ariel’sprince because he stirred up drama haha! I hope he is well, I was sad he left the forums although he could be a handful. I always thought he might have been around my age.

I remember when UD/DVDizzy was in danger of shuttering because of something with the Google algorithm— the site was no longer discoverable or something and it was going to lead Luke to close the site. I emailed lots of Disney and animation news sites to see if they could cover Luke’s plight— for years I have held a grudge against Jim Hill because I wrote to him and he didn’t even respond haha. I’ve only recently started listening to his podcasts and he’s really a lovely guy (if sometimes his facts and scoops are a little off now and then).

Anyway, ultimately, the algorithm seemed to start benefiting UD/DVDizzy again for no particular reason (that I’m aware of). So, good, I guess, although it was an awful lot of a headache for Luke I’m sure. I’m glad I still have this site and a familiar cast of characters to discuss and share my appreciation for Disney.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Ah yes, Amy! I still have my old presentation skits from the awards which I plan to share here again, as well as some other stuff.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, the UD Forum Awards were an annual event here. We would have all sorts of categories and nominees, and people would vote for their favourite members and threads. Just like a real awards ceremony different members would take it upon themselves to present the award in question. This was my personal favourite aspect of the awards. My "speeches" usually took the form of scripts including both the nominees as well as fictional characters I'd make up. I can't remember whether it was me who initiated this format or whether it was already a thing here and I stole the idea. :P
Last edited by Jules on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Do you remember Disney Dossiers, the book published by Disney that included quotes from UD members? I think it mostly used quotes from the old countdowns the site had. I bought a copy of the book but it was lost in a move. :(

That said, I met the author at Epcot a few years back sort of by accident (he was doing a book signing and I just happened to be there). At the time, I couldn’t remember if he’d written Disney Dossiers or not, otherwise I would have asked him about it! :oops: I wish I had, as we talked for about an hour about other things.

Here’s the book’s Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Dossiers- ... 1423100557
blackcauldron85

RYAN! (seriously, we'll be 60 years old still doing this! <3)

If we're shouting out members, I agree with Prudence, and I hope she's well. PeterPanFan was part of our chat room crew, and I hope he's doing well! I became good friends with DaveWadding, but haven't spoken with him in years, and hopefully he's doing well! I know that Laz would get in trouble here, but I was always friendly with him.

So many great members that don't post anymore: There are so many, some I was friends with, others just contributed so much. pap64, Jack Skellington, PrincePhillipFan, slave2moonlight, xxhplinkxx and Siren, goofystitch (who writes articles on another site and I'm so happy he does that), AwallaceUNC, Elladorine, Kram Nebuer, CJ, Just Myself, SpringHeelJack, akhenaten, Enchantress, estefan, singerguy04, Goliath, dvdjunkie, Isidour, JiminyCrick91, Flanger-Hanger, disneyfella, Poody, even reyquila! There are a couple members with super-similar names as other members and don't want to shout out the wrong person.

UF, you totally would have been welcome even at a younger age. I mean, I have no filter, which you see in the Off-Topic thread, but I don't think we got too out of hand!!

Wow, I forgot about the algorithm thing. I can't even imagine life without this site. It is great to talk with people as obsessed with Disney as I am, as we are.

I've heard of Disney Dossiers-- doesn't it have loose elements, like folders or something? I don't recall knowing it had UD stuff in it though- that's super cool.

I remember being a little freaked out when it was announced that the site was expanding beyond Disney, but I think it was a super smart move from Luke, to expand the userbase (not so much for the forum but for the main site). I wonder if people discover the site and wonder why the forum is 80% (or w/e) Disney...
Last edited by blackcauldron85 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I was really young when I joined the forum, not yet 12 actually. I’ve always felt a little guilty because I suspect I was a part of a larger influx of child members around that time and that we lowered the level of discourse on the site. That may then have led to an exodus from many of the interesting and intelligent posters here.
You take that back UmbrellaFish! If anybody left this site for whatever reason in the past it certainly wasn't because of you. I've held you in the highest-esteem since your earliest days here. You've always written intelligently and eloquently, and while we've never met I have no reason to believe to you are anything but kind and a gentleman. Furthermore, in 2007 I would never have guessed you were still 11. I was 18 then, and while I didn't know how old you were, I assumed you were my age, more or less.
BrollyFish wrote:About these members you’ve mentioned, most of them are before my time. T/P fan had become sort of trollish, but some members (maybe you, Julian, or Escapay?) reminded other posters of his past history which wasn’t so trollish.
Now that you mention it, I think I recall T/P fan indeed being a bit trollish or slightly aggressive in his later years. However, I cannot recall any specific incident.
ParapluiePoisson wrote:Speaking of Laz, I remember him getting very pissed at me for calling “Willy Wonka” overrated. To get back at me, he said “The Sound of Music” was overrated but the joke was on him, because I didn’t particularly like “The Sound of Music” back then!) which was probably where I first heard of the show.
Yeah Laz could be a bit litigous. :lol: I never had any problem with him but I do recall writing on how I could barely understand a word Jodie Foster said in The Silence of the Lambs, and his reply to my comment saying that he found it "nauseating." :lol: He was banned years ago, but whatever his transgression was I must have missed it. I do remember him getting in spats with some members (mostly Goliath) but I'm guessing he must have blown something completely out of proportion to have been banned permanently. I know I was chastised by another member here a couple of years ago when I recalled the Lazario and Goliath arguments as being colourful and interesting, with said member telling me that those were among the forum's darkest days. I think I must have missed many of their worst arguments, because I always had the impression that they weren't really "fighting." Seems I was wrong.
UF wrote:I’ve missed Prudence for a very long time. She wasn’t active very long, if I recall, but she made quite an impression while she was here! I like the avvie/siggie set thedisneyspirit had recently which honored her and name dropped other classic UD users!
I miss her too! :( I believe she and mason_ireton were a couple back then. Also, I seem to recall she was a wonderful artist. Is that right, or am I confusing things?
UmbrellaFish wrote:I always liked ariel’sprince because he stirred up drama haha! I hope he is well, I was sad he left the forums although he could be a handful. I always thought he might have been around my age.
Who could forget that guy? :) I still have his Giselle fanart saved to my computer.

UmbrellaFish wrote:I remember when UD/DVDizzy was in danger of shuttering because of something with the Google algorithm— the site was no longer discoverable or something and it was going to lead Luke to close the site. I emailed lots of Disney and animation news sites to see if they could cover Luke’s plight— for years I have held a grudge against Jim Hill because I wrote to him and he didn’t even respond haha. I’ve only recently started listening to his podcasts and he’s really a lovely guy (if sometimes his facts and scoops are a little off now and then).

Anyway, ultimately, the algorithm seemed to start benefiting UD/DVDizzy again for no particular reason (that I’m aware of). So, good, I guess, although it was an awful lot of a headache for Luke I’m sure. I’m glad I still have this site and a familiar cast of characters to discuss and share my appreciation for Disney.
I remember that all too well. I believe it was dubbed the "Sitepocalypse." I remember Luke being very worried as he made his living from this site.
Last edited by Jules on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

I just updated my post above with a lot of shout-outs!!

I agree with Jules, UF- you've always been a great contributor here!

*edit* I wanted to shout-out the interviews and reviews done on the site, by Luke and other members. My interviewing role is actually on my resume. Disney DVD and actors/Legends far and wide-- good stuff.

I also wanted to mention that back in the day (really up through TP&tF?, a bit with Tangled) there were a lot of sites with tidbits of information; now a lot of stuff is learned via Twitter and social media; I'm old (:lol:) so I'm grateful for Sotiris posting as many morsels of info as he does!! I don't post as much breaking news as I did a long time ago because those sources don't exist anymore.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:RYAN! (seriously, we'll be 60 years old still doing this! <3)

If we're shouting out members, I agree with Prudence, and I hope she's well. PeterPanFan was part of our chat room crew, and I hope he's doing well! I became good friends with DaveWadding, but haven't spoken with him in years, and hopefully he's doing well! I know that Laz would get in trouble here, but I was always friendly with him.

So many great members that don't post anymore: There are so many, some I was friends with, others just contributed so much. pap64, Jack Skellington, PrincePhillipFan, slave2moonlight, xxhplinkxx and Siren, goofystitch (who writes articles on another site and I'm so happy he does that), AwallaceUNC, Elladorine, Kram Nebuer, CJ, Just Myself, SpringHeelJack, akhenaten, Enchantress, estefan, singerguy04, Goliath, dvdjunkie, Isidour, JiminyCrick91, Flanger-Hanger, disneyfella, Poody, even reyquila! There are a couple members with super-similar names as other members and don't want to shout out the wrong person.
I miss all of these people. I remember slave2moonlight creating his own custom posters for the WDAS films. Isidour was quiet and kept a low-key presence, but absolutely loved Bambi. :) akhenaten was a bit mysterious, but he was a great guy! I remember back in 2007 both of us made a series of online calls via Yahoo Messenger. It was the first time I heard the voice of a fellow UD member and was thrilled! In later years, I also found out what TonyWDA and pap64 sound like through recordings. I remember Tony's excellent YouTube video in defence of Disney's Atlantis after TGWTG's Marzgurl said some things that didn't sit well with him. I told him he had a sexy voice. I meant it! :lol:

I can't find the video on YouTube. I think Tony has since deleted his channel. :(

As for xxhplinkxx, I cannot imagine him remembering me "fondly." I remember making absolutely tone-deaf and unfunny jokes at him, as well as writing excruciatingly weird stuff which must have made him really uncomfortable, and which I should never have written. If you are reading this xxphlinkxx, I am really sorry for my behaviour back then.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Do you guys remember this member? :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I remember most of the people that have been mentioned. Yeah, I miss ariel’sprince. I think he only left because his parents didn’t like that he was on a Disney forum…. I don’t know if my memories are wrong, but it was my impression that his parents didn’t like that he liked princesses or childish things like Disney films. :( It was funny because it seemed like most of the other members hated him, but I thought he was nice. And unintentionally funny at times because of the horrible way he would write. :lol:

I wish Lazario had come back after you know who and his crowd finally went away. That said, I don’t think he’d get any appeal out of modern Disney anyway. He didn’t really seem to like the majority of the Renaissance films; he’d probably tear the Revival Era to shreds. :lol: And I can only imagine the conversations he and the current crowd would end up having.

I only used the UD chat two or three times. And that was only when I was on campus back then in the library / labs, since it wouldn't work on my home computer for some reason. Those couple of times I was able to use it, I think I talked with Goliath, bc85, and PrincePhillipFan? Chat definitely makes people feel more like, well, people than a forum does with the rapid fire back-and-forth. T/P-Fan wasn't always a troll. I was posting more regularly before he turned that direction, although I wasn't close to him on the forum or anything. He really hated all the The Little Mermaid topics from what I remember. :lol: And then he went out making a racist comment about TP&TF and Obama.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
blackcauldron85

Literally I am going through the Member list, because I remember leaving off people I wanted to include! Going through the list, there are names I remember, but like you, Jules, I don't fully remember particulars. So sorry!!! (I'm stopping going down the list at least than 170 posts...)

Khonnor was always super nice (you still ocassionally post, but you're missed!). Linden! Super nice as well! Hennie as well! geniuswalt (you also still post sometimes, but are missed!). kbehm29 (prev. mentioned), totallyminnie86, zackisthewalrus, skyler888, Disneyphile, Chernabog_Rocks, Chernabog, Chernobog, Fidget1234, Jake Lipson, Sky Syndrome, Prince Edward, jeremy88, rs_milo_whatever, carolinakid, AladdinFan, The Lizard King, The Little Merboy, Fflewduur, QueenRahel, disneyguy, Gurgi30, MichaeLeah, Princessmarlo, lighthousemike (prev. mentioned), kurtadisneyite. There was a Zack P. I believe as well.

Aladdin from Agrabah's last post was 11 years ago; I see in one of their last posts, they quoted me, so I guess we discussed stuff! I'd have to go back through their posts to remember (sorry!).
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I remember most of the people that have been mentioned. Yeah, I miss ariel’sprince. I think he only left because his parents didn’t like that he was on a Disney forum…. I don’t know if my memories are wrong, but it was my impression that his parents didn’t like that he liked princesses or childish things like Disney films. :( It was funny because it seemed like most of the other members hated him, but I thought he was nice. And unintentionally funny at times because of the horrible way he would write. :lol:
If that is true then that's awful! :( It has been many long years since he last posted but, as you said, I think he meant well - he may have just gotten on some people's nerves. Like UmbrellaFish, I think he was likely very young - maybe 13 or so.
Disney's Divinity wrote:He really hated all the The Little Mermaid topics from what I remember. :lol:
Of course!! But I could never understand that because he used to love The Little Mermaid. I always suspected his supposed "hate" for TLM was part-act or exaggerated!

Amy, you may recall Aladdin from Agrabah was pretty darn famous around here for his stunning MS Paint Disney fanart! Many of them were pretty much pixel-perfect. I will never forget when he produced a stunning illustration of a belly dancing Jasmine, only for danfrandes to critique his choice of dress colour and ask for a redo. And then the shit hit the fan. rotfl

"ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!?????? Forget it kid! He's not doing it!"

That is, I believe, my rather accurate reproduction of one of our feistier members' reactions. I can't remember her username but I remember her very well! :D :milkbuds:

I have about ten of AfA's pieces saved on my Flickr account. However, I just realised that he deleted every piece he ever posted here and even renamed his official fanart thread to "-". I hardly think it would be ethical to repost without his permission what I've saved of his work to the same public forum from which he intentionally deleted it.

Can somebody confirm whether Aladdin from Agrabah was Greek?

Does anybody remember Dottie? :) She was this incredibly sweet girl from Germany.
blackcauldron85

^ That does maybe ring a bell? Maybe you can PM me a pic to remind me?! You've always been my favorite artist on here, anyway.

OMG, Yes, Dottie was super nice!!!!! It's been so long I forgot. :(
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

bc85 said:
UF, you totally would have been welcome even at a younger age. I mean, I have no filter, which you see in the Off-Topic thread, but I don't think we got too out of hand!!
Jules said:
You take that back UmbrellaFish! If anybody left this site for whatever reason in the past it certainly wasn't because of you. I've held you in the highest-esteem since your earliest days here. You've always written intelligently and eloquently, and while we've never met I have no reason to believe to you are anything but kind and a gentleman. Furthermore, in 2007 I would never have guessed you were still 11. I was 18 then, and while I didn't know how old you were, I assumed you were my age, more or less.
Ahh, thank you both of you! Those are very kind things to say. I feel like I grew up in large part on this forum and I made and continue to make mistakes, but here we are. I’ve always loved both yours’ contributions— Amy has always been so sweet, I doubt she’s ever gotten in a fight with anyone on this board, and Jules, I was so surprised and flattered when you chose me to be a part of your portrait series. It felt like a wonderful welcome to the community (as I think I was still relatively new then, too).

Jules said:
I remember that all too well. I believe it was dubbed the "Sitepocalypse." I remember Luke being very worried as he made his living from this site.
I remember that word now, “Sitepocalypse”! Does anybody remember what year that was? I’m thinking maybe between 2009-2012ish?

I remember Aladdin from Agrabah’s art very well. I was looking at that old thread, it seems like he removed all his posts more than 10 years ago now!

Disney’s Divinity said:
I remember most of the people that have been mentioned. Yeah, I miss ariel’sprince. I think he only left because his parents didn’t like that he was on a Disney forum…. I don’t know if my memories are wrong, but it was my impression that his parents didn’t like that he liked princesses or childish things like Disney films. It was funny because it seemed like most of the other members hated him, but I thought he was nice. And unintentionally funny at times because of the horrible way he would write.
Oh is that why s’prince left? My memory was that he’d had one fight on here too many, and quit the forum cold turkey. I remember he still posted on another site I read for a time, Animated-Views, maybe? But eventually he disappeared there, too. It’s sad, so many members here have had to deal with a form of homophobia from their parents due to their interest in Disney Princesses.

Reyquila!! I know so many got annoyed with him and his updates, but I hope he continued on collecting. I looked at his movie collection list sort of recently and he hadn’t added anything new in a few years. :( End of an era? I’m worried because I think he was from Puerto Rico? and I know they’ve been through the ringer these past couple years, with natural disasters and big political scandals.

I remember Siren! She was one of the only other big Gargoyles fans here back then. I think some of her last posts on the board were about her starting a new business as a children’s party entertainer. She had this really cool and elaborate unicorn costume which she showed off on this site.

tsom has long been a friend! He still posts occasionally, so if you’re reading this, hi tsom!! We used to correspond frequently over our shared love of Julie Andrews. He’s a big The Sound of Music (tsom) fan and taught me a lot about that film (which I’ve come to like quite a bit more since those days with Laz). For example, there is a Sound of Music anime! I know that because of him.

Laz, I think, intimidated me. But he was one of the first “horror gays” I ever knew of. A lot of people associate gay people with musicals and Disney movies, but a lot of gay people are much bigger fans of the horror genre. I remember, during one of his exiles from the site, he joined a horror forum and when he came back to UD/DVDizzy he wrote a little about it.

PeterPanfan had this wonderful avvie and siggie set based on Wicked, I think, so I sent him a video of Idina Menzel singing on the Hercules show one time (this was pre-Frozen). I *think* PPF actually was the one who PM’d me a rip of a Julie Andrews album of Alan Jay Lerner songs from the 90’s. I’ve listened to it so many times over the years (although I eventually bought the CD because I felt guilty about not paying for it)!

I remember when Sotiris was still sotiris2006! And I think they used a Navi avatar for the longest time? So amazing how much the Disney company has expanded in this past few years, Avatar and The Sound of Music are Disney properties!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It sounds like you had a really good time, too bad I found this place later and wasn't really a part of it.
blackcauldron85

farerb, you're a part of it now!! <3
UF wrote:Amy has always been so sweet, I doubt she’s ever gotten in a fight with anyone on this board
Thank you! Before this site, I was a member of DisneySites, and there was a member there that didn't like me, and here, I think I got into disagreements with either (they were very different members so I hate that I confuse the names) Papi Bear or Papa Bear...?
UF wrote:I remember Siren! ...She had this really cool and elaborate unicorn costume which she showed off on this site.
That rings a bell! Yes! You guys have amazing memories! Sadly my brain is kind of like Dory's!
UF wrote:I remember when Sotiris was still sotiris2006!
Yes, I had forgotten but I remember!

I remember when you, Jules, had your name as your username; did you change it so that people couldn't find you as easily/for privacy?