Fantasia 2000 - Platinum Edition?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Fantasia 2000 - Platinum Edition?

Post by DisneyChris »

According to this new article from the biggest Taiwan Disney fan site, this is the current schedule of the Platinum line subject to change:

Fall 2001 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Released)
Fall 2002 - Beauty and the Beast (Released)
Fall 2003 - The Lion King (Released)
Fall 2004 - Aladdin
Spring 2005 - Bambi
Fall 2005 - Cinderella
Spring 2006 - Lady and the Tramp
Fall 2006 - The Little Mermaid
Spring 2007 - The Jungle Book
Fall 2007 - 101 Dalmatians
Unknown - Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000

When did Fantasia 2000 get into the Platinum line? :? It did not do very well in the box office and is not a renowned classic, unlike the others.... Anyway, sounds cool. 8)

Also, the article says that every single sequel of the Platinum films will be out of print together with the original (which I believe is obvious) and says the reason why the Platinums were not called "Platinum" in most places besides the US was because some countries have made "Platinum Edition" a registered trademark. :roll:
Last edited by DisneyChris on Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2099net
Signature Collection

Re: Fantasia 2000 - Platinum Edition?

Post by 2099net »

Well Fantasia didn't do well at the box office. The Platinum line up is mainly based on home video sales. Perhaps Fantasia 2000 did will on home video?

I don't know what the Platinum Fantasia(s) will be, but I suspect it will be a re-release of the existing disc for Fantasia, with the Fantasia supplements off the Anthology.

In France they already have a 2 disc Fantasia release - its just the single discs from the Anthology (which is also available) without Fantasia 2000 (but it contains the 2000 supplements).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

2099net wrote:Well Fantasia didn't do well at the box office. The Platinum line up is mainly based on home video sales.
I know Fantasia didn't do well in the box office, but after so many years it's now a recognized classic. :wink:
2099net wrote:I don't know what the Platinum Fantasia(s) will be, but I suspect it will be a re-release of the existing disc for Fantasia, with the Fantasia supplements off the Anthology.
A re-release of the existing disc? But that's at least 8 years after the original release! Why would Disney re-release the same disc after so many years? I mean, Snow White was given a better treatment after 7 years since the old VHS!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

disneychris04 wrote:
A re-release of the existing disc? But that's at least 8 years after the original release! Why would Disney re-release the same disc after so many years? I mean, Snow White was given a better treatment after 7 years since the old VHS!
Well The new Dr Stangelove from Columbia is the same as the previous release (bar the addition of DTS and an extra disc for the supplements). Lots of companies re-release the same stuff. It's one of the reasons for taking the disc of the market in the first place.

I think the question is What can they add to Fantasia? I would suggest not a lot (and I doubt the editing will be removed)
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Fantasia 2000 a Platinum release that's sounds crazy I may believe the release line-up.

Well hopefully it's correct... :roll:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Kingruler202
In The Vaults

Post by Kingruler202 »

yeah fantasia wouldn't cut a platinum list despite the fact it's classic (and classics usually means ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) but i doubt it's good enough for platinum. just my opinion
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Well, I wouldnt call Fantasia 2000 a Box Office failure. I mean, it was an Imax release. Not many Imax releases make a lot of money to begin with. Yet Fantasia 2000 made $90 million worldwide and with dvd sales it probaply broke even and was at least a little bit profitable. Somehow I don't think Fantasia 2000 is going to be part of the platinum line though. I think it's a wrong interpretation, since Fantasia however was announced. Not that I would mind it. I say Platinum editions for all films!!

But if they're going to add newer films to the Platinum line up I'd rather see Tarzan and Lilo & Stitch :)
Kingruler202
In The Vaults

Post by Kingruler202 »

not neccesarily so on that either not all films deserve it. in fact, a lot more don't than do (the rescuers, fox and the hound, black cauldron, etc.)
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I didnt notice this on the Release types page until now.
Perhaps the most special type of Disney DVD releases is the Platinum Collection titles. These are Disney's ten best-selling video titles that are to be released as special edition DVDs at a rate of one a year each October. October 2001 brought the hugely-successful Platinum Edition debut Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and 2002 saw Beauty and the Beast as the second 2-disc Platinum set....

...On May 1, 2003, Disney announced a change in their release schedule for the Platinum Collection. Previously, Disney released one Platinum Edition DVD set a year (each fall) and put the title on moratorium the end of the following January, where it would remain for ten years. Their new plan calls for TWO Platinum Edition DVD sets a year (one in March, one in October), so that all original 10 titles will be released by 2007, which some forecast as the time when the next home video format (HD-DVD, high-definition DVD) may emerge. In addition, the moratorium periods will now be just five years.

The first March Platinum release will be Bambi, which has just been announced for release on March 1, 2005. (Press Release)

The Platinum Collection was originally comprised of Disney's 10 best-selling home video titles: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, Bambi, The Jungle Book, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians. In May of 2003, Disney announced they would be adding Pinocchio, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty to the Platinum Collection for a total of 14 titles. The Platinum Edition releases are even superior to their Collector's Edition releases for new movies, devoted to the ultimate video and audio, and a plethora of extras...
hmm, so I guess there will be 14 top selling Plantinum Titles instead of 10. Although I fail to see the point of converting Sleeping Beauty to a Plantinum if they already have a 2disc special edition

But yeah I dont think Fantasia 2000 would be considered a top selling title. I think that was an error made by the Taiwanese market
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Phillip »

Well, perhaps Fantasia and Fantasia 200 will simply be released together as 1 platinum title... :P
Defy Gravity
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Prince Phillip wrote:Well, perhaps Fantasia and Fantasia 200 will simply be released together as 1 platinum title... :P
Yeah, Fantasia 2000 can be a bonus feature. :lol:
Tannerman
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tannerman »

Knowing Disney, they'll probably crank out a straight-to-video "Fantasia 2000 II" to compliment it all :)
Walt Disney Treasures - Custom Disney DVD Inserts
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

disneychris04 wrote: A re-release of the existing disc? But that's at least 8 years after the original release! Why would Disney re-release the same disc after so many years? I mean, Snow White was given a better treatment after 7 years since the old VHS!
Well, that's a matter of opinion. They released the Platinum Edition of Snow White after the LD release, and by some accounts the LD was better. It had a few more features and no kiddie games. Of course Snow White PE was restored. But some people don't like aspects of the restoration. So which was the better treatment? LD or PE?

When something is rereleased it doesn't have to be better. It just has to be available. If Fantasia has been off the market for a number of years and is then re-released exactly the same as the Fantasia Anthology Fantasia disc, it would still sell thanks to simple demand economics.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

2099net wrote:Well, that's a matter of opinion. They released the Platinum Edition of Snow White after the LD release, and by some accounts the LD was better. It had a few more features and no kiddie games. Of course Snow White PE was restored. But some people don't like aspects of the restoration. So which was the better treatment? LD or PE?

When something is rereleased it doesn't have to be better. It just has to be available. If Fantasia has been off the market for a number of years and is then re-released exactly the same as the Fantasia Anthology Fantasia disc, it would still sell thanks to simple demand economics.
If they re-released the same disc from 2000, why would they still put it in the Platinum line? They could just call it "Special Edition"! Platinums are supposed to be different than before, regardless "better" or not. 8)
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

disneychris04 wrote: If they re-released the same disc from 2000, why would they still put it in the Platinum line? They could just call it "Special Edition"! Platinums are supposed to be different than before, regardless "better" or not. 8)
OK - lets look at Sleeping Beauty. In some areas of the world Sleeping Beauty was released as a single disc set. In others it was released as a double disc set.

However when it was released in America. It was not only a double disc set, but it also had added features (commentary, trailers, new music video). When Sleeping Beauty was released in America, it had already been announced as a future Platinum edition. So my question is... why would Disney go to all the trouble in adding the new features (especially the Platinum like "new song video") if they knew that they were going to re-release it later and better? It just doesn't make sense. The international 2 disc Sleeping Beauties were already better then most Disney 2 disc sets (and I would argue better then the Lion King turned out).

Do you really think they added content for the limited edition Special Edition if they were planning on releasing a "better" version later.

Even now, then promoting Bambi, Disney is using Special Edition more than Platinum Edition. So Bambi is a Special Edition and a Platinum Edition (even though unlike B&tB and LK the film is not a special edition cut). I honestly think Disney don't care about Platinum editions. I think the long forgotten (really, when has it been referenced since) "additions" speech was just Disney's way of saying the titles would get 2 disc releases in the future. I think Sleeping Beauty's release IS the so-called Platinum one.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

2099net wrote:
disneychris04 wrote: If they re-released the same disc from 2000, why would they still put it in the Platinum line? They could just call it "Special Edition"! Platinums are supposed to be different than before, regardless "better" or not. 8)
OK - lets look at Sleeping Beauty. In some areas of the world Sleeping Beauty was released as a single disc set. In others it was released as a double disc set................. (the following omitted)
OK, I surrender, I'm tired of this, let's stop... :zzz:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

2099net wrote:When something is rereleased it doesn't have to be better. It just has to be available. If Fantasia has been off the market for a number of years and is then re-released exactly the same as the Fantasia Anthology Fantasia disc, it would still sell thanks to simple demand economics.
Yes, as I hinted at in the International thread on the pending 2-Disc Pocahontas (which has a 'new' song integrated into the film), it seems the only way Disney can justify a new edition is by adding something new to the film. Do they have so little faith in their own assumption that these are 'classics'?

Look at Star Wars coming out in a few weeks. Most people would be content to have the original films barebones, because they've never been available on DVD before. But Lucasfilm feels that it has to be "new" to sell. But enough on that before I go into another SW rant :)

As 'net has surely pointed out, and I have too, what is in a name? We here in the non-US/Region 1 zones don't seem to have these 'label' issues: in Australia, almost all of the new 2-Discs are Special Editions unless they are Masterpiece (Platinum). Almost everything else is a Walt Disney Classic.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

After seeing all of the great features in the Fantasia Anthology collection, I really do not see any point in making it a Platinum release.

It would be awesome if they simply made another Fantasia movie, whether it be in IMAX or conventional size.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

BrandonH wrote:After seeing all of the great features in the Fantasia Anthology collection, I really do not see any point in making it a Platinum release.

It would be awesome if they simply made another Fantasia movie, whether it be in IMAX or conventional size.
A third Fantasia movie (which was tentatively titled Fantasia 2006) was in the works but it doesn't look like it's happeneing any more.