Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007)

Post by lord-of-sith »

Bolstered by the mystifying success if Garfield, Twentieth Century fox has greenlit a CG/live-action film about the helium-voiced musical rugrats.
-Enterainment Weekly

So, what do you guys think of this? I heard there looking for an A-List comedian to play Dave Seville. Who do you think are some possible contenders for the role? I heard Jim Carrey was originally supposed to be John in Garfield, so maybey Fox could give him the role? He's really the only one I can see being dave at the moment. What do you guys think?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I used to love Alvin and the Chipmunks!
Watch out, cos here they Come...
I think it could work as a film, although only if they get the designs of the chipmunks right! Otherwise it could look awful! I hope it also keeps the charm of the original!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Bob Saget seems like THE man to play Dave Seville. It's not a showy role, and Jim Carrey would be a terrible choice, I think. That said, Alvin and the Chipmunks in CG doesn't interest me. Alvin and the Chipmunks traditional animation and live action interests me a bit more.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Luke wrote:That said, Alvin and the Chipmunks in CG doesn't interest me. Alvin and the Chipmunks traditional animation and live action interests me a bit more.
I agree! that would be a lot better! With everything being CGI, I'd probably love anything that was traditional animation!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

How about Alvin and the Chipmunks stay off the screen? :roll: I mean, Garfield was a good cartoon, so it turned out to be a good movie. Alvin and the Chipmunks was annoying, especially those girl chipmunks. PLEEEEAAASE if anyone from Fox is reading this, just go with Garfield 2 and screw the Chipmunks!!!!!! :lol:
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Luke wrote:Bob Saget seems like THE man to play Dave Seville. It's not a showy role, and Jim Carrey would be a terrible choice, I think. That said, Alvin and the Chipmunks in CG doesn't interest me. Alvin and the Chipmunks traditional animation and live action interests me a bit more.
Bob Saget = SEXY

WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

As soon as I read this thread title, I immediately thought of Bob Saget, and it looks like Luke and Renata thought so too! Hopefully that's on the mind of the movie-makers too... but then, how A-list is he these days?

Who else is there? I can see Jim Carrey possibly being able to handle it. There's always Breckin Meyer. I like him, but he's not right for this role. No, on second thought, no one but Bob Saget will do.

I'm a big Chipmunks fan and will see this opening day. Woohoo! THe CGI makes me iffy, but I think it might make for a nice change, though I'm not sure it will be better than traditional animation.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Please don't destroy Alvin and the Chipmunks. Fox 20th Century already killed Garfield so just stop right now. Alvin and the Chipmunks was a great cartoon show just leaves it like that stop brings back the 80's.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

MickeyMousePal wrote:Please don't destroy Alvin and the Chipmunks. Fox 20th Century already killed Garfield so just stop right now. Alvin and the Chipmunks was a great cartoon show just leaves it like that stop brings back the 80's.
Ah c'mon Alex, Alvin and the Chipmunks was STUPID. Garfield the film was good!
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Just Myself Wrote:
Ah c'mon Alex, Alvin and the Chipmunks were STUPID. Garfield the film was good!
Well, I used to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks when I was younger to bad they don't show re-run anymore.
I really liked the theme of the show with all the music it had.
It almost like 8 years since I haven't seen a single episode.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I love Alvin and the Chipmunks, but this recent trend of animated shows going live action/CGI is getting annoying. I love the idea of Bob Saget as Dave, but the Chipmunks in CGI will not work unless they purposely try to make them look as cartoony as possible, and even then it wouldn't look good next to the live action. If they go the Scooby Doo/Garfield route, they'll achieve nothing. Those characters were too realistic to be animated but too animated to be realistic. And if they decide to go the odd route of making them look as photo realistic as possible, it won't feel right because they won't look like the Chipmunks we've grown up with. Either way, this project's doomed. I wonder if they'll incorporate the Chipettes into this...
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

I loved Alvin and the Chipmunks, and I hope they get this right! As for Bob Saget vs. Jim Carrey, I can't say either seem right-they just seem to old. I always pictured Dave as much younger.

I think I'll go play my Chipmunks cassette now...

Oh, does anyone remember the early '90's Chipmunks feature film, something to do with going around the world? I just remember there being an evil blonde lady...
Defy Gravity...
TheZue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheZue »

That's funny, Bob Saget was the immediate person who popped into my mind as well. He's a very under rated comedian who's career was hurt by all the family stuff he's done so I'm not entirely sure he'd take it. He looked so bitter by the end of his stint on AFV hahahaha. I still think he's got one of the best lines in Half Baked.

Anyways....I think Alivin and the Chipmunks could handle being updated. My mom had their xmas album in the 50's or 60's, and they of course had the cartoon in the 80's; so they are definately due to be revamped for a new generation.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Yeah, Bob Saget woul be a good choice. I just pray to god they don't cast someone that will ruin this even more than it all ready is. Like......Dare I say it?.............................................................. :huh: Ashton Kutcher..........................Just for the fact they might get more publisity for it. Oh, and whoever said the Brekin Meyer seemed right, he was just in Garfield as John so I don't think they would choose him to be Dave, it would seem weird having the same guy own Garfield, the change his name and own alvin and co. see what I mean?
Sekaino Jasmine
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sekaino Jasmine »

I don't like this idea. The show is kind of cute and entertaining at times, but come on! A movie? :roll:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Chris Walken should play Dave Seville. Come on! Vote for Chris!
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
umbreongirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by umbreongirl »

Luke wrote:Bob Saget seems like THE man to play Dave Seville. It's not a showy role, and Jim Carrey would be a terrible choice, I think. That said, Alvin and the Chipmunks in CG doesn't interest me. Alvin and the Chipmunks traditional animation and live action interests me a bit more.
You got that right. Bob Saget would make a good Dave.
But other than that, I only have a few words to say.

What in the name of all that is right in this world are they THINKING?!?

That's one of the DUMBEST ideas ever. No one's gonna go SEE it. They don't show the cartoon anymore, just the movies on Cartoon Network and Toon Disney....and I think on the Disney Channel. They're not gonna make ANY money on this unless they think of a better idea. :roll:
But hey, that's just me.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Alvin and the Chipmunks Befriend Earl er uhh David

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Jason Lee will star as David Seville in the CG/live-action hybrid pic "Alvin and the Chipmunks" for Fox 2000 and Fox Animation.
Penned by Jon Vitti and to be directed by Tim Hill, project is based on the 1950s cartoon series about chipmunks Alvin, Simon and Theodore, who lay waste to Seville's surroundings and sing in three-part harmony on such tunes as "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" and "The Witch Doctor."

Production starts March 28 for a planned Dec. 14 release date. Bagdasarian Prods.' Ross Bagdasarian Jr. and Janice Karman are producing; Karen Rosenfelt and Michele Imperato Stabile exec produce.

Hill co-wrote and directed Fox's "Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties" and helmed Disney's "Max Keeble's Big Move" and Sony's "Muppets From Space." He has also created more than 20 shows for Nickelodeon and was the head writer on "SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie."

Lee, who stars in NBC's "My Name Is Earl," provides the title voice in Disney/Spyglass' "Underdog" and will topline and co-produce Warner's "Krater."
Any thoughts to Jason Lee playing as David Seville? Also I didn't realize he was going to be in Disney's Underdog
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Ooh, this sounds like a lot of fun. I used to watch the television show all the time, now I can't find a single channel that airs it. Anyway, this does sound pretty good, but I don't know if I'm liking the whole 3D/live-action thing, but that is the new technology and the world must embrace it. Thanks for the news!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Interesting casting choice, but could they not get Bob Sagget (sp?) because he's only perfect for the role.