Home on the Range

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

[quote="MickeyMousePal"]I just saw Disney's Home on the Range. I thought it was all right it was a comedy with action. It reminded me of Disney's Emperor's New Groove, because Maggie and Mrs. Calloway always didn't get along with each other. quote]

I just contributed my $5.50 to Disney today. I know the film was supposed to cartoony but after a few minutes of watching this (the first half goes through too much too fast) I began to think that being cartoony wasn't necessary. I was thinking Lady and the Tramp. You know how the more visible human characters such as Aunt Sara looked cartoony and the dogs looked more real. I think HOTR should've done it that way. Then we see the cows and Buck fight and run around too much like humans to the point where it got too ridiculous.

It's much like TENG as one horse is voice by Pat Warburton (he played Kronk in TENG). There's really no difference or getting out of the brainless characters that he usually voices. I say that horse that horse was a Kronk reincarnate, poor fella.

Well all the flaws are part of Disney being Disney right now. Someone at another forum brought up another interesting point: How in the world does a film that took 9 years to make cost $110 to make and be only like 80 minutes?

They pushed too much on kids for a PG film. I'd rather watch Spirit. However, the $5.50 was well spent since this film has stung me with much curiousity of where Disney really is right now...um...
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I'll tell you how a 67 minute movie ended up in production for 9 years costing as much as $110 million : they started animating an unfinished script, it happened to many of Disney's films lately, TENG, Atlantis, Dinosaur and now HOTR...

Even Monsters Inc. almost went the same route but Pixar was smart enough to turn the production around in time and not spend too much on the hidden city (I think it was called like that) Disney had already spent too much on Sweatin' Bullets... but the pressure of having to put out as many movies as possible is what killed a lot of these films... too bad. I'd rather have a 'Beauty & the Beast' every 3 years instead of one Atlantis per year :P
thomashton
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thomashton »

I'm sorry to admit that yesterday I bought a bootlegged copy of HOTR on dvd.

I am in Iraq and will not be able to see it otherwise in a long, long time. I watched it this morning and thought it was visually very good. I was impressed with the style of film, but overall, not jazzed by it too much.

I didn't find the humor to be along the lines of TENG. TENG was MUCH funnier. All of the jokes in HOTR seemed a strech and not even really all that funny except for the parts already shown 1M times in previews.

When I return to the states I will buy a real copy of it on dvd to round out my collection, but I don't see myself watching it too often.
To all who come to this happy place, Welcome...Disneyland is your land...
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Wow, for a country that's killing us theyre really ahead of the times! Or did you get that bootleg somewhere else?
Todd_star
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Todd_star »

toonaspie wrote:Wow, for a country that's killing us theyre really ahead of the times!
:roll: yeah right, them killing your people.. LOL.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Todd_star wrote:
toonaspie wrote:Wow, for a country that's killing us theyre really ahead of the times!
:roll: yeah right, them killing your people.. LOL.
that was what I meant actually
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I saw it a couple of days ago. Overall, I enjoyed it (even more than Brother Bear). The voices were fantastic, it was funny and entertaining the surprise ending with Rico was a bit of a shocker, and this is the closest Disney has gotten to a musical since Mulan! I will definitely buy it!

My biggest problem with it, though, was that it was way too rushed. One second you're in set-up, the next second, your speeding off into the plot. This creates some slap-stick comedy, but leaves no room for any real heart in the story. But I guess that's the problem with a lot of the more recent features.

The "they're real" joke was totally pointless, just thrown in at the beginning of the film. I actually think it was put in JUST so they could use it in a trailer. Definitely not worth risking a PG rating over. But I also think the burping could have contributed to that, as it may be perceived as "rude."

I just went this week (long after its release) with my family during a matinee. It was nearly half-full, but it was in a back theater (one of the smaller rooms, and no stadium seating). It was mostly little kids (our family was the only one with no children, lol), and they all seemed to enjoy it, and find the burping especially hilarious. I thought that part got a bit old.

I'm glad it's done well, though, and hope it continues to succeed.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Finally i have seen this movie it's only just been released here in the UK, and i absolutely loved it! i thought the animation was really beautiful i really liked the characters and i thought it was a lot of fun i was laughing all the way through. i admit it's not beauty and the beast or aladdin but it was a nice film which didn't take itself too seriously and i can't beleive it's didn't do better. it kind of reminded em of films like 101 dalmatians and the jungle book in the way the story was told, simple and sweet.
Here in the Uk it only made 0.18 million it it's opening week entering the charts at 10.

i really wish more people would give this movie a chance!

Curse CGI can't people recognise art? Phillestines!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

ichabod wrote:Finally i have seen this movie it's only just been released here in the UK, and i absolutely loved it! i thought the animation was really beautiful i really liked the characters and i thought it was a lot of fun i was laughing all the way through. i admit it's not beauty and the beast or aladdin but it was a nice film which didn't take itself too seriously and i can't beleive it's didn't do better. it kind of reminded em of films like 101 dalmatians and the jungle book in the way the story was told, simple and sweet.
I agree 100%, 101 Dalmatians and Jungle book told the story in a similair way. And I also agree that the movie doesnt take itsself seriously... never during watching it did Iget the impression that it was trying to be a masterpiece... and thats just what might make this one a classic in the future. I really enjoyed itl.
Curse CGI can't people recognise art? Phillestines!
amen... despite what the rest of the world thinks and how everyone is into CGI these days, Home on the Range, is in my opinion the best designed animated film since Sleeping Beauty. Joe Moshier, who designed both Home and Emperor's New Groove is a genius.
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

An interesting Home on the Range review

Post by DDMAN26 »

This is taken from the British movie magazine Empire and pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/inci ... ?FID=10214
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Bravo! That review says everything that needs to be said about Home on the Range. I couldn't agree more (well, except that I'm not sure I'd go so far with the comparison to early Disney).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I couldn't agree more! this is such a sweet little film!
Spanky

Home on the Range information needed!

Post by Spanky »

Hi could anyone tell me who the producers and directors of home on the range are! and who the lead animators of grace,Maggie andMrs caloway were?

also does anyone know how i could write to or contact these people?
disneyunlimited
Gold Classic Collection

Home on the range

Post by disneyunlimited »

The official Disney DVD page is a good place to start:

http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/movie ... 06003.html

Then, of course, there is the IMDb for any other information you need:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0299172
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I have read many movie reveiws and alot of the times I think they are unfair. But for once I can honestly say that a review was written fairly. Home on the Range was a great familyu movie and yeah it could have been a bit better but what can you do now ? Thanks for the link DDMan26 :) .
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

HOTR tries way to hard to please the kids of today. I wanted to leave the theater as soon as Maggie and co. started having a disguisting burp contsest. In my book, stuff like that has no appeal waht so ever! :evil:
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

lord-of-sith wrote:HOTR tries way to hard to please the kids of today. I wanted to leave the theater as soon as Maggie and co. started having a disguisting burp contsest. In my book, stuff like that has no appeal waht so ever! :evil:
What about all the burping and stupid bug-eating contests in Lion King and Lion King 1 1/2?
Defy Gravity...
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I do think HOTR was just a tad too heavy with those gags, but not to the point that it was distracting for the whole film.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Okay, okay, that might have been a bit much, but but I don't think the Lionk King one was as bad because the rest of the movie made up for those parts which were not that bad in the first place. I'm not saying that HOTR isa bad movie. I said it was my least favorite Disney animated classic. Well............. it is. But I still enjoyed it to a minimum. But what happened to the way Disney used to be not long ago (BatB, and Aladdin) That stuff like that didn't happen because it was obvious it was unappealing. I'm not trying to bash HOTR, I'm just explainig why I don't like it.
yoda_four
Special Edition

Your thoughts on... Home On The Range

Post by yoda_four »

Yee-haw! It's already here!

I must say I throughly enjoyed this film in theatres. It's not no masterpiece, but it doesnt try to be. Just a good fun time like I had with Three Muskteers. I'm prob gonna go pick up the DVD after-school and Ill post my thoughts later.

Post your thoughts on the film, A/V quality, or bonus features.
My Blog

- Paul