Home on the Range

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Marielle
Limited Issue

Post by Marielle »

To me, it was just ok. I would've rather seen it at home than the Theatre.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Finally, got around to watching it.

I know Aarron and some others had mentioned they thought it was a great family film but I thought it was boring when it tried to be that. Once it tried to be a madcap adventure in the latter half it worked for me. It lacked the morals and values that say a Brother Bear or Lilo and Stitch had.

Home on the Range - well at the half way mark I thought the last 2D movie from Disney may well have been the worst. Boring story, bad animation. The psychadelic animation during the yodelling was no where near as good as Dumbo was 60 years ago. Badly drawn angular characters. I thought Roseanne Barr was totally annoying but Randy Quaid, Judi Dench, Meg Tilly and some others were great.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the last half though. The pacing was much more Looney Tunes than Disney and I really enjoyed it. I noticed during the deleted scene about the coyotes he referred to it as being Fast and Furious - a take on the title of the first Coyote/Road Runner cartoon. I was thinking the reason they may have deleted it was that it was too Looney Tunes. Almost a direct rip off in fact. I thought some of the CGI effects in the latter half were really good with the fast pacing too.

Songs were decent - including a really nice song by Bonnie Raitt.

Overall, not one of Disney's best but certainly better than the likes of the Black Cauldron and Robin Hood and I may watch the second half again.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

My opinion on this film is that it was unique..in a good way.
It wasn't the best film Disney created, but it was an okay film to watch. :D
It was interesting to see cows as the main characters! :)
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

I didn't see Home on the Range in the cinenas, but I am considering buying the DVD very soon.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I saw it at the Disney channel a while ago, and it was actually better than I had expected. And it's not unlikely that it has made its budget back by now.

What I like about the movie, is the lack of messages about moral and such (except for the old "don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"), preaching, emotional education, political correctness, important lessons and values, and it does not take itself too seriously. Not that there is anything wrong with some messages, but now and then it is really refreshing with a movie that has no other intention than to just entertain, and nothing more.

Take for instance Bolt. One of the core elements of the story was that even if everything else is fake, the love between a dog and its owner is always true and real. Maybe so, but does it make a good movie?
In Meet the Robinsons, the lesson is that it is not where you come from which is most important, but where you are and who you are with. Probbaly, but again, if the massages are too clear and obvious, too preachy, I personally feel that it suffocates the movie. Especially if the audience has already seen the same message thousand times before,
And, as with Pocahontas and its "noble savages in harmony with nature, and the destruction that follows modern civilization", it can also feel a bit pompous.

If the intention of a movie is to do something more than entertain, I would say that the most important is how this something else is presented.
In Princess and the Frog, the old lessons about working hard and being true to your self were essential, but it was too visible through the story.
In Tangled, which is about finding your own way and place in life and be who you are meant to be, the elements were tangled into the story pretty well, and did not stood out too much from the rest of the ingredients or as a whole. Which could be why it feels more "true", because instead of pointing at it with a finger, saying; "pay attention now, and listen carefully what we have to say", the movie delivers it so careful that it doesn't feel like nagging.

I movie, animated or not, is like a piano play. When you are hitting the right keys, people don't notice, but if you are hitting a wrong key, they will notice it at once. The wrong key is the needle that bursts the balloon of illusion.

With more simple movies like Home on the Range, there are not many potential visible elements in the first place, and the makers can allow themselves to focus more on fun and fast speed.
Last edited by Rumpelstiltskin on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree that a lot of the ‘90s films were way too preachy (it kind of reached a peak with Pocahontas and Hunchback), which I think ultimately turned a lot of people off--besides the fact that the films started becoming formulaic. I’m not sure if I agree that MtR, Bolt and TP&TF were in that same category though.

HOTR is another movie on the board that I think gets too harsh of a reputation. I agree that the movie is rather sloppy, and the voice actors (Barr, Tilly, and Dench) don’t work well at all. Still, I always liked the design to this film, and the music was always pretty good to me--though I’ve found some people disagree on that. And I remember liking the horse character. Overall, it’s below par and it is one of Disney’s weakest films. I think I’ve only watched it two or three times in all since its release. Others must feel the same way, considering this thread hasn’t been posted in since 2003. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Well, I didn't say Bolt and the others were in the same category as Pocahontas. They are not preachy, but they contain messages about different kind of values in life in a very obvious way. What they all have in common, is that non of this stuff is present in Home on the Range, as far a I know.

This movie does not stand outin any spesific ways, but it's not as horrible as its reputation, even if it's never going to be a part of the dimaond edition. Other titles who did it far better at the box office were in my opinion worse. And younger children probably like it as well. Small children does not go to the theatre alone, they are going with their parents, grandparents or older brothers and sisters.

(And it has actually been written some more about this movie since 2003, but I choosed to post in the original thread.)
Sotiris

Re: Home on the Range

Post by Sotiris »

Sarah Jessica Parker was once attached to voice a character on Home on the Range.

Sarah Jessica Parker reveals she was fired from two animated movies
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/18/sa ... ted-movies
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Yeah, she was supposed to voice Pearl, who I guess was younger in the original story treatment.

http://web.archive.org/web/200308011546 ... Range.html
A family farm inhabited by a widow (Parker), her young daughter, and various and sundry farm animals. The widow owes $1,000 mortgage on the farm and has no way to pay for it, and the cows get wind of the trouble. Fearing that they'll be sold to the local meat-packing plant, the cows seek to find a way to earn the money. Enter the family horse, played by Cuba Gooding, Jr. He used to belong to a bounty hunter, and knows a great way to save the farm. You see, he's heard that in the nearby town, there's a bandit afoot (Quaid), with a $1,000 bounty on his head.
I miss animated-movies.net :(.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I know this is biased but i have soft spot for Home on The Range because it was one of the frist Disney movies i saw in theaters
and the swedish dubb has 3 of my favorite swedish voice actor in it.

Also i prefer watching Home on The Range in Swedsih so i dosn't have to hear Roseanne.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

DisneyFan97 wrote:Also i prefer watching Home on The Range in Swedsih so i dosn't have to hear Roseanne.
:lol:

I used to find her voice work painful as well but I would say it is an acquired taste and I am used to it now.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Jules wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote:Also i prefer watching Home on The Range in Swedsih so i dosn't have to hear Roseanne.
:lol:

I used to find her voice work painful as well but I would say it is an acquired taste and I am used to it now.
Nothing is really wrong with Roseanne's voice. It's just uncomfortable hear her in a Disney movie after the crazy thing she tweeted and said in interviews. It leaves a bad taste.

It doesn't fit with the image of Disney i have.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

When I watch the movie, honestly once it gets going, I'm not thinking, "Oh, that's Roseanne." I just think "Oh, that's Maggie," but I totally can understand how some people wouldn't get over it through the whole movie, since it is a distinctive voice.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Used to think Home on the Range was the worst Disney Classic...Still do, just that it may be tie with Chicken Little.

Disney claimed the traditional animated movies were outdated and the reason for the failure at the box office. However, if you check out the box office for the CGI movies up to Tangled (and even this one) they barely made money anyways.

HotR it´s AWFUL! The songs are meh, the animation is straight from Looney Tunes, the characters are bleh, the music forgettable...and can´t believe how many people were involved in the script to came up with this.

And Buck...AAAAAHHH!!! Can´t stand him!!! Worst Disney character ever. Never hated a character that much in my life.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

You didn't like any of the songs? I like HOTR more than the average Disney fan, I guess, although it's not one of my favorites, but I'm still pretty obsessed with its soundtrack all these years later. I always really enjoy the film when I watch it!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I remember buying the soundtrack almost immediately after seeing the film. I love "Little Patch of Heaven," "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again?" and especially "Wherever the Trail May Lead." Those songs are better than the film itself, imo. Even "Anytime You Need a Friend" is nice, I just wish somebody else had sung it rather than the Beu Sisters... :lol:

I can understand though if others don't really like country music, or can't disassociate the music from the movie itself.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:You didn't like any of the songs?

Little Patch of Heaven. And even the Yodel song (best part of the entire movie).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DC Fan wrote:Used to think Home on the Range was the worst Disney Classic...Still do, just that it may be tie with Chicken Little.

Disney claimed the traditional animated movies were outdated and the reason for the failure at the box office. However, if you check out the box office for the CGI movies up to Tangled (and even this one) they barely made money anyways.

HotR it´s AWFUL! The songs are meh, the animation is straight from Looney Tunes, the characters are bleh, the music forgettable...and can´t believe how many people were involved in the script to came up with this.

And Buck...AAAAAHHH!!! Can´t stand him!!! Worst Disney character ever. Never hated a character that much in my life.
To be fair, Chicken Little was a huge hit for Disney, at least commercially. And I think even Bolt made quite a bit of money. I remember there was a list of the top ten grossing animated Disney films from the 90s and 2000s and Dinosaur, Chicken Little, Bolt, and Tangled all made it onto the list alongside Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Tarzan.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DC Fan wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:You didn't like any of the songs?

Little Patch of Heaven. And even the Yodel song (best part of the entire movie).
Agreed that those are the best parts of the film and the yodel song was the very best. And agreed this is the worst Disney film ever if it's not Chicken Little.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I still really like this movie and i have lot of nostalgia for it since i watched it in my formative years in cinemas !!
It's a solid 7 out of 10 !! :D :D

Much better than Bolt and Brother Bear in my opinion :)