The Rescuers Down Under Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

The Rescuers Down Under Discussion

Post by Wonderlicious »

LIST OF PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS:Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion
Pinocchio Discussion
Fantasia Discussion
Dumbo Discussion
Bambi Discussion-none yet
Saludos Amigos Discussion
The Three Cabelleros Discussion
Make Mine Music Discussion
Fun & Fancy Free Discussion
Melody Time Discussion
The Adventures Of Ichabod & Mr. Toad Discussion
Cinderella Discussion
Alice in Wonderland Discussion
Peter Pan Discussion
Lady & The Tramp Discussion
Sleeping Beauty Discussion
101 Dalmatians Discussion
The Sword In The Stone Discussion
The Jungle Book Discussion
The Aristocats Discussion
Robin Hood Discussion
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Discussion
The Rescuers Discussion
The Fox and the Hound Discussion
The Black Cauldron Appreciation Thread (Discussion)
The Great Mouse Detective Discussion-none yet
Oliver and Company Discussion
The Little Mermaid Discussion

I'm trying to revive the animated classic discussion a bit, so I'm going to with this thread on The Rescuers Down Under. I saw this movie again for the first time since I was around seven and thought it was superb. The animation was beautiful, for example; even better than the original with lush colours and backgrounds. The music score was very whimsical and powerful. The story wasn't Disney's best, but was still quite good. Overall, The Rescuers Down Under improves a bit on the original, in my opinion, as whilst the original's elements rated good, its sequel's rates great. Nuff said.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Well much like I said yesterday the Rescuers suffered from poor animation but had a good story. The Rescuers Down under had far superior animation but the story had huge problems. The Rescuers seemed to be a sidebar and unnessary to the entire story. Seems like they did not arrive until 10 minutes left in the movie and were totally superfluous to the escape. George C. Scott did really make for one of Disney's true vile villains though.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Practical Pig
Limited Issue

Post by Practical Pig »

JimmyJackJunior wrote:the Rescuers suffered from poor animation but had a good story. The Rescuers Down under had far superior animation but the story had huge problems.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. The art in Down Under, especially the soaring scenes, was beautiful, but the story was lacking. I ordered it from the Movie Club and am waiting to see it for the first time on DVD any day.
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
DEREKG
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DEREKG »

I liked both films. The Rescuers story and animation was very dark and gloomy. Unique in it's own! The Rescuers Down Under was very bright and uplifting! A Great film also. I agree the (Soaring) scenes are the best. Ecpecially the scene where the eagle pushes the boy along the river with all the birds and off the waterfall. Overall, Down Under is a great film.

Home, Home on the range, where the critters are tied up in chains, we slash at ther sides, and rip off their hides, and tomorrow we do it again!

Everybody, Home Home on the range............... rotfl

George C. Scott was a great villian for sure!!!
mvealf
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mvealf »

DEREKG wrote:The Rescuers Down Under was very bright and uplifting! A Great film also.
I loved the opening segment, but found the story depressing.

Who had the bright idea that child abduction, snatching a kid with an animal trap and putting him in a cage would make a good Disney cartoon? That is hardly what I would call bright and uplifting.
Visit the home of my Disney Japanese laserdiscs
http://www.geocities.com/disney_laserdiscs
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Reading these posts make me feel like seeing the movie again on my VHS copy of course. Nope still haven't got that DVD. How is the DVD in terms of quality?

Anyways I like this movie over the first one and that could be easily explained by the fact that this is probably my most watched Disney animated movie. I've seen others countless times but this one tops them all. I'm almost afraid to pop in the VHS and see how much it's deteriorated due to heavy viewing by not only me but my sisters.

I think this movie had a stellar cast and one of the best villains. Sadly most of the main voice cast is gone but it'll live on on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and whatever comes next...

I think my comments are running out of steam so I'll stop now. :P
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

The DVD in terms of quality - some of the scenes look great but there is still a good amount of grain. Still above average for a gold collection DVD.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disney Cruise - 01/05

orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Thank you. :) Wal-Mart in my area has them for a decent price so I might as well pick it up. who knows whenever they would come out with a new version. Maybe never again on DVD.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I somehow doubt that the rescuers down under is at the top of Disneys priortiy list for animated classics. In fact it is probably in the bottom 10. I would imagine we might see an HDDVD maybe around 2008 or 2009.

Disney Cruise - 01/05

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I disagree that the Rescuers downunder had story problems. There was the sub plot of bernard trying to ask binaca to marry him, wich was originally planned for the first film. The whole jealousy thing with jake, very entertaining. And just because the mice arrived early on in the film at penny's wherebaouts doesn't mean that not reaching/rescuing Cody untill the end of the second film makes it any less enjoyable. This is the story of Cody and his relationship to the bird, with the subplot of Bernard and Bianca. I strongly disagree that this movie suffered from story problems. Just because it was less ambitious than the fab 4 of the same time, does not mean it is less good. I'd prefer this movie over the Lion King any time of the day. But then I find the Lion King boring... simba was the whiniest most spoiled little main character ever. Mufasa appearing in the sky? Bambi's mother didn't come back to tell him to grow up, why does Mufasa have the power to walk around in the clouds? that's a major story problem for me :P :P ( I know, sorry for getting off topic, plus, disliking the Lion king isn't making me popular lol) The Rescuers Downunder is in my opinion, by far, the most underrated Disney classic. And a fine example of a sequel surpassing the original in terms of story and animation. Like Toy Story 2.
DEREKG
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DEREKG »

mvealf wrote:
DEREKG wrote:The Rescuers Down Under was very bright and uplifting! A Great film also.
I loved the opening segment, but found the story depressing.

Who had the bright idea that child abduction, snatching a kid with an animal trap and putting him in a cage would make a good Disney cartoon? That is hardly what I would call bright and uplifting.
I guess you're right! The only uplifting part was where the poacher lifted the boy up and out of the pit with the barrel of his gun. :D
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

PatrickvD wrote:I disagree that the Rescuers downunder had story problems. There was the sub plot of bernard trying to ask binaca to marry him, wich was originally planned for the first film. The whole jealousy thing with jake, very entertaining. And just because the mice arrived early on in the film at penny's wherebaouts doesn't mean that not reaching/rescuing Cody untill the end of the second film makes it any less enjoyable. This is the story of Cody and his relationship to the bird, with the subplot of Bernard and Bianca. I strongly disagree that this movie suffered from story problems. Just because it was less ambitious than the fab 4 of the same time, does not mean it is less good. I'd prefer this movie over the Lion King any time of the day. But then I find the Lion King boring... simba was the whiniest most spoiled little main character ever. Mufasa appearing in the sky? Bambi's mother didn't come back to tell him to grow up, why does Mufasa have the power to walk around in the clouds? that's a major story problem for me :P :P ( I know, sorry for getting off topic, plus, disliking the Lion king isn't making me popular lol) The Rescuers Downunder is in my opinion, by far, the most underrated Disney classic. And a fine example of a sequel surpassing the original in terms of story and animation. Like Toy Story 2.
Well you have told us exactly what the problem is. They took a plot point from the first film and stuck it in this one. The movie would have been far better if they had just forgotten about the Rescuers and made it about Cody. The rescuers had nothing to do with the movie. As for the jealousy angle, there was hardly anthing to it. I quite like the Jake character, if they had just used him as the agent of the RAS it probably could have worked far better.

Its certainly not a terrible movie, the characters of the hero and antagonist and the eagle are great. They totally work. Everytime I watch it though, I cant figure out what the point of the rescuers being there was.

I do agree with you about the Lion King. I think for reasons you have pointed out it is the weakest of the Fab 4.

Disney Cruise - 01/05

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

hey, I see your point about the Rescuers being unnesacery for the story and I can imagine how some people experience it that way. I simply don't really experice it as a story problem. But I can see why ohters do. Overall, I think it's fair to point out all the great things this movie has going for it, a great villain, beautiful animation and a recognizable memorable scene (cody and marahute flying obviously :) ) I always experienced this film as a Disney classic. Oh and it also has a magnificent musical score.
I do agree with you about the Lion King. I think for reasons you have pointed out it is the weakest of the Fab 4.
wow, you must be like, the first person ever to agree with me. My main issue with the film was 'Mufasa coming back' to talk to Simba. The most powerful thing about Bambi was the fact that his mother wasn't coming back and that he was on his own. That was the power of the story. for me Lion King lost all of that when Mufasa appeared in the sky. Could Nala not have convinced him to go back? I can see how the filmmakers wanted a powerful and beautifully animated moment, but it didn't really work for me. Muafasa lives in him, not in the clouds. Sorry for getting off topic. I just wanted to point out how the less succesful films are often blamed for their story problems, while the Box Office hits get away with it. And to those who have yet to see Rescuers Downunder on dvd, or in general, go see it! It's a nice little film. :)
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

Well for me it was an empty experience to be honest.

I bought it because of all the comments, becuase I needed to finish my deal with the DMC and because after all it's one of the better in terms of animation.

But I must say when I watched the movie I felt something was missing. It was like the movie had so much potential and was going for something but in the end it never reached it. And meanwhile it tried to acomplish that goal, the whole movie felt rushed and awkward.

I just watched it once. I'd have to watch it again to see if my opinion changes.

"You're only second rate!"
starlioness
Gold Classic Collection

Post by starlioness »

hmmm.. maybe we'll see Bambi's mother in the clouds in the next Bambi movie :lol:...

I do agree about RDU , it's one of my fave films.. it's just that Berno and Bianca should have had more screentime..

maybe they should have called it Cody and Marahute :p

*curses Disney for not making Marahute Merchandise* A WDCC sculpture of Marahute and Cody would sooo rock!

also , what do you suppose happened to Mcleach's animals at the end. did Cody and Co. go back for em? :?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

starlioness wrote:hmmm.. maybe we'll see Bambi's mother in the clouds in the next Bambi movie :lol:...

I do agree about RDU , it's one of my fave films.. it's just that Berno and Bianca should have had more screentime..

maybe they should have called it Cody and Marahute :p

*curses Disney for not making Marahute Merchandise* A WDCC sculpture of Marahute and Cody would sooo rock!

also , what do you suppose happened to Mcleach's animals at the end. did Cody and Co. go back for em? :?
a wdcc sculpt would sooooo rule :)

and yeah, they never showed the animals escaping... what happened to frank??? that did bother me a little... I hope they escaped and kicked Joanna's *ss :twisted: