Oscar Nominations Announced - 4 nods for INCREDIBLES

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

awallaceunc wrote:...but that's slightly offset by the joy of Fahrenheit 9/11 not getting any.
I suppose everyone's allowed a juvenile moment around here... :P I'm not exactly defending Fahrenheit 9/11, but it kinda had a botched entry anyway - Moore shot only for Best Picture, and didn't submit it for Documentary. May I say that I'm glad that Passion only got 3 noms, which are by and large techie categories anyway? ;)

I dunno about The Incredibles' score, though. I listened to the soundtrack, and I didn't really find it to be as remarkable as people here tend to make it. It sounded like any other spy film score - kind of sly and slick, if you know what I mean. Though I'd gladly replace it with Unfortunate Events - maybe I was just entranced by the great design in that film, but I didn't hear much of a standout in the score.

I am glad that Prisoner of Azkaban picked up the noms it did, though. The film's score was exceptionally good this time around - the sad wistfulness of "A Window to the Past", the maddening jazz score of "The Knight Bus", the appropriately medieval feel of "Hagrid the Professor"... even Williams' signature tendency for crescendo upon crescendo in "Buckbeak's Flight" - it's all beautiful, and more unique and varied than the previous two films. Likewise with the visual effects - the film had a realistically "grimy" look to it, and Cuarón loved to stuff the frame with detail - like the scenes in The Leaky Cauldron. Buckbeak, as well, was very well done - they could have screwed him up quite easily, but they did a great job. Buckbeak looked, acted, and felt very real. :D I really hope PoA will win those two. *crosses fingers*

I'm happy to see Lorenzo nominated for Animated Short - and call me biased (I haven't seen any of the other four), but I really hope it wins - that way it may push Disney to put it out on DVD. Though with our luck, it'd probably be stuck as an extra on some crappy movie that I would never watch anyway. e_e

I'm severely annoyed by Shark Tale's nomination, though. If there's any way of making the Animated Feature category look more and more like a joke, it's with stunts like this. The Oscar illuminati are essentially signifying that ST is one of the epitomes in animation this year - and that's a f*cking joke. Sorry to be harsh, but it is. It's the equivalent of nominating something like The Whole Ten Yards or Meet the Fockers for Best Picture - it may have star power, and may even be entertaining, but it's hardly an example of great film. Shark Tale was a gimmick, plain and simple. A bunch of hip-hop fishies with human faces that look like their celebrity voice-actors? Yeesh. It has a 34% fresh rating at RT - the most poorly-reviewed animated film of 2004!! And it got an Oscar nom?! How the hell does that work?! Of course, until recently, it was the #3 highest grossing animated film last year... behind Shrek 2 and The Incredibles, of course. Maybe that's the new criteria of a good animated film... :roll:
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

This is great! I praise the academy for the following:

2 HP 3's!

A big 0zero0 for Farenheit 9/11 :float:

And :o FOUR :o for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events!

However, Only 2 for Eternal Sunshine. :headshake: more needed there.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

My thoughts:

The Passion - I'm glad that despite their prejudice, the acadaamy recognized the technical aspects of the film. Just those 3 noms alone are more that I could've asked of them. Yeah, in my opinion the film really deserves some of the bigger awards, but if it were to be nominated for ANYTHING, cinematopgrahy, score, and make-up seem like the given choices considering how visual the film is (and how much of his soul John Debney poured into the score). A lot of people on IMDB were expecting it to get snubbed at the Oscars and sweep the Razzies. Well, it's gotten 3 nominations at the former and absolutely none at the latter. I suspect those nay-sayers have been silenced.

Harry Potter - The same applies here. The acadamy in this case is prejudiced against fantasy films (Lord of the Rings being the bizarre exception) and sequels (same thing) which both apply to Prisoner of Azkaban. After Chamber of Secrets being snubbed of any awards in 2002 (it TOTALLY deserved best visual effects), I really wasn't expecting anything for Azkaban. I really hope either this or The Passion wins for best score.

The Incredibles - Best animated picture was a given, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the original screenplay nod, though somewhat unpleasantly surprised at the lack of a score nod. If this doesn't win, then it's proof that Dreamworks has been drugging/paying off/killing/all of the above the acadamy voters, which leads me to...

How the HECK did Shark Tale get a nod?? As Paka said, it had horrible reviews despite box office success (powered mainly by the list of A-list actors who, for goodness knows why, signed up to this). The Polar Express really deserved a spot here. That movie got 3 nominations, and you'd expect that the most obvious one would be best animated picture. Apparantly not. I really hope box office grosses aren't what's driving these votes.

Eternal Sunshine deserved nods for both Best Picture and Best Editing (come on, the editing in that film is what makes the whole thing so unique in the first place). It seems between quirky independent films, the acadamy only wanted one, and it was between Eternal Sunshine and Sideways. Sideways doesn't look very interesting to me at all, and most people seem like to like ES more, so I have no idea what went into the voter's heads.

In the end, I'm somewhat satisfied with the results. Besides the minor complaints above, the only major complaint I have is that the majority of it was too predictable. The Oscar nominees seemed more fun last year whereas these seem more ho-hum. I'm just grateful for the nods for The Passion, Harry Potter, and The Incredibles, though, so all is well in my world...until Oscar night, anyway.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

It's a shame that Garden State didn't get any recognition.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

I am so glad The Passtion was relegated to obscure technical awards. Even if it wins, they won't mean anything in the long run. I am so glad the Academy is sticking to the art of film and not falling for emotion-tuggers or passion-hate plays for that matter. :roll:

Surprised House of Flying Daggers didn't rack up a high technical tally. That was certainly a shocker, and a testament to the foreign committee's bias towards European films. (4 of 5 slots went to European nations, at least one for subpar efforts.)

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed that Shark Tale got the nomination. This is the first animated nomination that I totally don't agree with. However, I am glad that visual disaster known as The Polar Express was left out. I really had my money on Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. Shark Tale wasn't a total surprise, because from an animator's point-of-view, there was some innovatic concepts. Remember, the Annies are the major precursors to the Animated Oscar, and the the voting bodies overlap severely. I know The Polar Express would be blocked because of The Annie cold-shoulder. However, I expected one of their Best Picture choices to get in - Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence or The Spongebob Squarepants Movies.
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

Prince Eric wrote:I am so glad The Passtion was relegated to obscure technical awards. Even if it wins, they won't mean anything in the long run. I am so glad the Academy is sticking to the art of film and not falling for emotion-tuggers or passion-hate plays for that matter. :roll:
I thought Passion was a great film, the way simple visuals could inspire raw emotion (I know alot of it was torture, but hope was always there). Had the academy dedicated itself to the art then Eternal SUnshine would have gotten a nod, Chicago wouldn't have won a thing and same for Titanic (nothing besides tech stuff).
Unfortunately the AAs are simply a popularity contest for the most part, on few occasions does quality matter more than popularity.

As proof, some of the greats that haven't won:
Martin Scorsese
Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick (nothing special, just one tech award)
Johnyy Depp
and more...

Its a joke
Dolce fare niente...
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

...Not to mention Whoopi Goldberg not getting Best Actress for The Color Purple (even though she DID get it at the Golden Globes). Spielberg was robbed for that movie too.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Prince Eric wrote:I am so glad the Academy is sticking to the art of film and not falling for emotion-tuggers or passion-hate plays for that matter. :roll:
Yeah, the Academy is so much smarter than the greater American population, who fell for that passion-hate play to the tune of $370 million bucks. :roll:
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Ciaobelli wrote:what utter crap, only 4 for Incredibles and only 2 for Eternal Sunshine, bah..
I know what you mean! I was hoping The Incredibles would get a couple more and I was pretty confidenent Eternal Sunshine would get a lot more than two. That was my favourite movie of the year and I really thought it had a shot at getting nominated for a lot more.
I was also shocked Paul Giamatti wasn't nominated for Best Actor for Sideways. He's a great actor and he doesn't get enough respect.

For animated shorts I hope 'Ryan' wins and for animated feature I hope The Incredibles win. I'm glad Shrek 2 was nominated but that was no surprise. It's a good movie but 10 years from now it'll be kinda dated moreso than most other movies because it's jam-packed with today's pop culture. I was hoping The Polar Express would get the third spot. Sadly it did not. :(
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Jack wrote:
Prince Eric wrote:I am so glad the Academy is sticking to the art of film and not falling for emotion-tuggers or passion-hate plays for that matter. :roll:
Yeah, the Academy is so much smarter than the greater American population, who fell for that passion-hate play to the tune of $370 million bucks. :roll:
Exactly! :D I couldn't have said it better myself!
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Jack wrote:Yeah, the Academy is so much smarter than the greater American population, who fell for that passion-hate play to the tune of $370 million bucks. :roll:
With that kind of logic, that means that Meet the Fockers is an Oscar-worthy work of art, too. :P
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sorcerer Mickey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sorcerer Mickey »

Yeah! I was also not pleased when Shark Tale was nominated for Best Picture!

For me:

Polar Express > Shark Tale!

Oh, well!

And congrats for the 4 Nominations for the Incredibles!
Sorcerer Mickey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sorcerer Mickey »

Prince Eric wrote:I am so glad The Passtion was relegated to obscure technical awards. Even if it wins, they won't mean anything in the long run. I am so glad the Academy is sticking to the art of film and not falling for emotion-tuggers or passion-hate plays for that matter. :roll:
I for one thought that it should've been nominated for Best Film! In fact, I bet it would win more awards because of the power of this film!
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I enjoyed both Fahrenheit 9/11 and The PAssion of the Christ but I'm glad neither of them were nominated for best film. They were good but I don't think they were good enough to get into that category. If The Incredibles and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind couldn't do it then I'm glad those two couldn't. :P
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Knuckles the Echidna

Post by Knuckles the Echidna »

I haven't seen Shark Tale yet, but I hope on getting it for Valentine's Day. I see most of you dissapprove of hip hop fishies, but I'm sure I'll get a kick out of that.
Thing is, Dreamworks relies on the audience's knowledge of pop culture for about half of the humor in their films. Plus, they rely too much on star power. That's my only problem with Racing Stripes--I *love* the concept and am willing to see it, but I'm turned off by the all celebrity cast. ((except for Snoop Dogg voicing a dog. That's just awesome.))

I actually think Spongebob was overall a more quality film than Home on the Range. Range probaly had more effort put into it, but I find the final product to be kinda sloppy. The film went just too fast for me, and I was displeased with the animation of the animal characters. I know it's meant to be cartoony, but for a feature film it had to be a little more believable for my taste. ((Spirit PWNED.)) I did watch the bonus features, and I wish Disney would've stuck to the original story about the young cowboy.
I really liked the Spongebob movie. It was funny, the animation was upgraded for the film, and the plot/story was perfectly fine for the age group intended. There were some jokes that the little kids wouldn't have got, too, such as David Hasselhoff's cameo, and at the final scene, Spongebob broke into song and they did parodies of a bunch of 80's rock videos. The only problem I had with it was how Plankton just slinked away at the end because he still had the secret formula for the Krabby Pattie.

I also wish for The Incredibles to win the Academy Award for animated feature, it's the most deserving of the three nominees.
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

More than likely, The Incredibles will snag the award for Best Animated Film... Shark Tale and Shrek 2 are incredibly overrated. (How come The Polar Express wasn't nominated? It was just as good as The Incredibles, if not a little better.)

It would be great if it also won for Best Screenplay... Bird produced some of the finest episodes of The Simpsons in his heyday (1993-1995) and The Iron Giant was overlooked by moviegoers. I'm not sure about the noms for Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing... Spider-Man 2 or The Polar Express will probably win those. In any case, I'd be surprised if it didn't win Best Animated Film or if it won all the nominations it got nominated for.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

awallaceunc wrote:...Not to mention Whoopi Goldberg not getting Best Actress for The Color Purple (even though she DID get it at the Golden Globes). Spielberg was robbed for that movie too.

-Aaron
While I do agree that the Academy was bonkers to completely pass up The Color Purple, I have always said that just because someone/something wins a Golden Globe, doesn't mean they should get an Oscar. First of all, the voting bodies are completely different - one is made up of foriegn journalists, the other American film professionals. She lost to Gerladine Paige, a film legend who was experiencing her eight nomination, and didn't have single win prior. Whoopi, however great she was, was nominated for her FIRST film, an achievement in itself. Circumstnaces would have been very different if she was nomianated in supporting - they tend to honor first-timeres in the supporting categories. Anyway, I know Whoopi is the lead, but the way some people think knowadays and just by looking at the category fraud Jaimie Foxx committed with Collateral (he was in the first and last frames of the movie, and every one in between, the rightful lead) he got a nod for supporting. Actually, it's not his fault, it's the studio system, but anyway... :lol:

In regards to Steven Spielburge, you have to look at the movie Ran, the film that squeezed him out of the director race. When you see it, then you'll know why he failed to get a nomination.

In my opinion, The Color Purple deserved:

Best Original Score
Best Original Song - Celie's Song
Best Costumes
Best Art Direction
Best Supporting Actress - Margaret Avery

I would say cinemtagrophy and some other technicals, but Out of Africa was also a deserving sweeper winner.