Snow White Re-release Platinum Discussion & Cover Art Th

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White: Platinum Edition 2009

Post by Escapay »

Deco King wrote:The Disney Stores Information cannot be correct because it makes no mention of a new Making Of Featurette
But it does mention new features like "Snow White Returns Storyboards" and "Hyperion Studios" (a featurette I assume to be about the building of the studio). The one enigma is that "One that Started It All" as it includes "Walt's vision of a sequel" in parentheses, making me wonder if they're two separate featurettes, or if "One that Started It All" is about the sequel.
Mike Dusterman wrote:Albert, they can't have a feature about a restoration the film you're watching doesn't have, if it has a new restoration...have they ever done that (Sleeping Beauty?).
That's why I said my money was on it *not* being included. ;) It would be nice though, if they included a new featurette which featured a look at the technological advancement in the restoration process since 2001, and included the original with a preceding text card that basically says "here's how we did it then."

The restoration featurette for Sleeping Beauty: Special Edition was from the laserdisc (as was most of the bonus features), so it's understandable that it's not on the new Platinum, as it doesn't represent the newer restoration.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Maybe I'm not tracking well or missed something, but what is this about features like "Snow White Returns Storyboards"? Have some bonus features info been leaked out?

And where's the "Bring Me The Head Of The Shrill" edition?
-Tim
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Howard wrote:Maybe I'm not tracking well or missed something, but what is this about features like "Snow White Returns Storyboards"? Have some bonus features info been leaked out?
On the DisneyStore website (disneyshopping.go.com), when you click "Extended Description" on the webpages for the Shrill's Blu-Ray, it offers a list of the Blu-Ray features: (special thanks to o0Andy0o who first posted it on page 48 )

Disney View
Snow White Returns Storyboards
Audio Commentary with Walt Disney

Princess and the Frog Sneak Peek

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall Game

What Do You See Game

Jewel Jumble Game

Scene Stealer Activity

Hyperion Studios

The One That Started It All- featurette (Walt’s Vision of a sequel)

All New Music Video, Someday My Prince Will Come by Sonny with a Chance Star Tiffany Thornton

Also includes bonus features from original DVD release

Tech Specs:
Presentation: Fullscreen
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Sound: Digital 7.1 English DTS-HD Mastersound
Subtitled: Spanish, French
Dubbed: Spanish, French
Closed Captions: Yes
Running time: 84 minutes
For Region A use (Americas, East and Southeast Asia, U.S. territories, Bermuda) only
Howard wrote:And where's the "Bring Me The Head Of The Shrill" edition?
rotfl

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Escapay wrote:Princess and the Frog Sneak Peek
:pink:
Scene Stealer Activity
This one intrigues me. I wonder if it'll be like one of those "edit a scene" features you get on some live action films.
Also includes bonus features from original DVD release

Does that include 3D menus? I thought not.:roll:
Sound: Digital 7.1 English DTS-HD Master Audio
Last edited by ajmrowland on Sat May 02, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

i swear ive already read the post above....

anyhow I recently reviewed the movie, and I really enjoyed it this time. I had been looking forward to seeing it for awhile so I knew the results would be positive. a LOT of time is used up in fantasia-like scenes, especially when we meet the dwarves. For that reason this movie takes up a lot of patience. It's one of the longer disney films, considering how little plot points there are. This could go either way with today's generation of children, who are at the same time, easily amused and hyperactive.

I'm quite curious to see how the blu-ray will come out. Snow White was animated very similarly to the blue fairy, who didn't turn out very impressive in Pinocchio's HD debut. Even on the DVD you can see she kinda seems removed from the rest of the film, especially as her details seem to blur out. Were they rotoscoping?
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

Yes the Blue Fairy and Snow White were both Rotoscoped ( using dancer Marjorie Belcher who was was/or was to become a successful dancer) All the human characters were rotosoped - the Wicked Queen/Witch and Prince Charming.

Adriana Caselotti and Harry Stockwell ( the voice of Snow White and the Prince ) went to the Snow White Premiere and
were turned away , But I'm Snow White and this is Prince Charming said Adriana - "Yeah right and I'm the Queen of England!! " said the security guard as he turned them away !
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Thanks for the info, Alby!

Now I'm starting to get more excited and looking forward to seeing what's on this Platinum. :D
-Tim
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

yukitora wrote:i swear ive already read the post above....
Well, I can't argue with you there. I'll cut down.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I don't understand - what is this about "Snow White Returns" and "Walt's vision of a sequel"? Can someone please explain it to me?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Neal wrote:I don't understand - what is this about "Snow White Returns" and "Walt's vision of a sequel"? Can someone please explain it to me?
They were listed on Disneyshopping.com under "Extended Description" for the Blu-Ray. There's nothing else known about them yet.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Neal wrote:I don't understand - what is this about "Snow White Returns" and "Walt's vision of a sequel"? Can someone please explain it to me?
Supposedly, they're about the sequel that was never produced.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

ajmrowland wrote:
yukitora wrote:i swear ive already read the post above....
Well, I can't argue with you there. I'll cut down.
oh no, I was just pointing out how similar we all are on this board.

I am really looking forward to the new featurette. With that title, you're almost garanteed quality.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

This is very interesting.

Disney once said he had no interest in producing sequels.

Yet now it seems he attempted to make one for 'Snow White'.

Could it be he wasn't always against sequels, and he tried to make one for Snow but when he couldn't do it right, he gave up and realized that some ideas are better left untouched?

What makes it even more interesting is the fact Disney Toon began a spin-off to Snow called "Disney's Dwarves" and akin to the TinkerBell franchise, was the back story of the dwarves. People were appalled. Of all films, Snow was the most untouchable as it was the beginning of it all.

Yet, now we may hear Walt tried to make a sequel.

Is this the first time anyone has ever heard he attempted to?
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

Yes , before I saw the post regarding the Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs Extras , apparently gleaned from the Disney Store website , I had never heard that Walt Disney himself was planning a Snow White sequel.

I will be very interested to see what Walt Disney's ideas were for this planned sequel , I once joked , that on her flight down the mountainside , that the Witch/Wicked Queen caught a branch and clambered back up the mountainside! Without the Wicked Queen as her adversary Snow White would just be a bland story - she needs that great Villain to make the story an interesting one!
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

While I don't think there have ever been any quotes from Walt released about a sequel to Snow White, I have seen archival footage where he talks about how there was a lot of demand and people kept asking for another Snow White film. He famously responded by talking about the "failure" of the Three Little Pigs' sequels: "You can't top pigs with pigs."

However, taking a close look at the series of pigs shorts, the original was released in 1933. The Big Bad Wolf followed just a year later in 1934. The Boy Who Cried Wolf came out in 1936. The fourth and final pigs short, The Practical Pig, was released in 1939... Two years after the premier of Snow White.

So Walt was still in the business of at least making Pigs sequels when Snow White became a success. It is hard to call the sequels to The Three Little Pigs failures because if they didn't make money, they wouldn't have kept making them. However, they weren't as successful as the original and I think that is what Walt meant when he decided to stop sequelizing his films (until live action). My theory is that the studio probably started some preliminary writing and possibly even storyboarding a sequel to Snow White and that Walt made up his mind that he didn't want to make sequels and wanted the studio to continue trying new things.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

More quotes against sequels:

"I've never believed in doing sequels. I didn't want to waste the time I have doing a sequel; I'd rather be using that time doing something new and different.”

"And right now we are not thinking about making another Mary Poppins. We never will. Perhaps there will be other ventures with equal critical and financial success. But we know we cannot hit a home run with the bases loaded every time we go to the plate. We also know the only way we can even get to first base is by constantly going to bat and continuing to swing."

"By nature I'm an experimenter. To this day, I don't believe in sequels. I can't follow popular cycles. I have to move on to new things.”

...one distinction, though, between the DisneyToon sequels and if Walt had made a sequel... I can understand and respect when the original team makes a sequel. However, when an entirely different team picks up a sequel decades later... you can't really respect that as much.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I'm prayin that we'll get most of the Orignal DVD bonuses, quite interested bout the proposed S.White 2, can't wait to watch that feature.

As for the new "Someday My Prince Will Come" Disney should've gone with another Disney Circle Of Stars instead of Tiffany Thornton, like I can see Disney havin all the current Disney Channel girls (Demi, Selena, Miley, Emily).

As for deleted scenes, I'd like 'em to actualy insert the "extended" Boiling Apple Scene, it'd fit seamlessly into the film and may be clean up, paint the "Music In Your Soup" sequence.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Mason_Ireton wrote:
As for deleted scenes, I'd like 'em to actualy insert the "extended" Boiling Apple Scene, it'd fit seamlessly into the film and may be clean up, paint the "Music In Your Soup" sequence.
But that would go against the original filmmaker's intentions. They cut fully animated (and sometimes fully colored) scenes for a reason. To add them back into the film would be going against their wishes.

This isn't something like "Human Again" being put back into Beauty and the Beast because the film makers were still alive and supervised the revisions. Few people are alive who worked on Snow White and the ones that are alive weren't involved with the final editing process.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I understand GoofyStitch, but I just thought it'd be a neat idea at least for the "Extended" Boilin Apple sequence, I know it'd be totaly disrespectful for Music In Your Soup bein inserted.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

But it doesn't seem like they can really paint the Soup sequence as a separate feature without having to alter the main feature to make it look like it could go back in there. Surely, a restoration can be done amazingly well, but not to the point where the film's age is a complete mystery.