Pocahontas Special Edition Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Pocahontas Special Edition Discussion

Post by Mr. Toad »

Well searched and searched and cant find anything but screen caps and price discussions.

What did you all think. Not the best transfer I have ever seen but a huge improvement over the debacle from the Gold Collection. The inserted scene was done really well, I didnt even notice. Have not watched the bonus features yet.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

Just got done watching movie a few bonus features.

I loved the new sequence, It was SO beautiful & emotional... it made the watery stuff leak from my eyes.... (good thing Shane wasnt there-haha) & then I made him watch it & he said it was nice. In the bonus features it says that it IS Mel Gibson providing the singing voice for John Smith during the song-yay! Oh & the reprise of the song at the end was good too-it's like my new fav Pocahontas song.

I watched the deleted scenes & songs, there were quite a few of them too. My fav deleted scene was the Steady as a Beating Drum reprise that was Steady as the Wedding Drum. It had more Kocoum & more villagers.

I also watched making of If I never Knew you-which is what I think I saw a few years back on wonderful world of disney....but i really dont remember it that well....
also watched theater trailers-saw the trailer i saw when I saw lion king in theater, & the central park part too- that had to be a very hectic event to plan....

No sign of Red Feather anywhere so far that I've seen....

What did u guys think?
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I watched it last night, and for the third time I remember when watching a movie, I cried.

The first was during "The Passion", but of course, who DIDN'T cry during The Passion? The second was at the end of "The Notebook". And my third time was during "If I Never Knew You".

I don't see how the movie lasted ten years without this song in the movie (aside from the horrid pop version on the credits). It's so fitting and brings a sense of completion to the Poca/John relationship.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

I love the "new" song as well....I also got "watery eyed" :P
I didn't see too many of the bonus features yet, I watched the art projects (just for fun), and I watched the deleted scenes and the original trailers....(.I remembered them!) Oh and of course I watched the Sing-a-longs! I've always loved them) :) I also looked at some of the still oictures of the characters.....I was disapointed that there were no stills of Pocahontas's friend (what was her name? Nakoma??)
Image Image
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

yeah her name is Nakoma. I like her too... I always used to think her & Thomas should hook up- but she didnt. In the 2cd we meet her unnamed husband (?)-& aww shucks, its not Thomas.

I agree- that song really fits in the movie perfectly, I dont see why 10 years ago they thought it was too much for the movie, I'm such a sucker for love....

I have that & the reprise on my computer & have listened to it like 15x today-haha...

Is it too late to change my wedding song from So This is Love to If I Never Knew You?? haha....

The movie version is better then the credits ballad-I feel the same way about A Whole New World- movie version is better then credits ballad.
Jayden
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jayden »

Well, I watched it last night. It was great! Another great 2-disc set from the House of Mouse, let's hope the quality stays on par for the rest of the animated classics. I didn't find anything whatsoever to complain about the transfer, I thought it was great.

One thing I did not like was "If I Never Knew You". I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I felt it unnecessarily slowed the movie down when it was really picking up steam towards the climax. Needless to say from now on I'll be watching the theatrical version, I'm glad Disney included both versions. Personally I think it's a great idea for them to include both versions on the same disc.

Anyways, the part I found myself watching over and over again was the "Savages" sequence. I think that this is easily Alan Menken's best song and was worth the purchase price of the movie alone (Btw, I love how the lyricist had the Natives calling the white men "demons" and not "devils" or other Christian concepts. It's quite accurate (as many Native bands did consider white man to be "white demons"))

In terms of the extras, I haven't watched much yet, but I'm glad to see that theatrical trailers are back, something I've missed.

Anyways, so far, it's an A+ disc for an A+ movie
Cheers!
Jayden!

Jay+Den- University Lovers
At least one good thing came out of my Criminal Law in Context class! Thanks Maeve!
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

Great picture, love the new song...wasn't completely happy with the 5.1 mix on the disc. It just sounds...wrong. But everything else, including the supplements was wonderful. It was worth the cost to buy it more than most of the other films that have been touted as special editions.
And I'm glad they put the theatrical trailers on here...it's great to see them again as an adult instead of as a child.
Hopefully, the Disney '95 movie collection will someday be complete if they will just release A Goofy Movie in Widescreen.
Sailor Eric
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sailor Eric »

Well, I got a week ago I think. And well, I probably hadn't seen Pocahontas since it was in theatres!!!
Wow!!! I definetely loved it this time, and ,like most of you, "If I Never Knew You" is a precious gem of the movie!!!
I also cried!! When I tried to suppress the tears and calm down, I just couldn't!!! More tears rolled down and inside I felt even more of that feeling (don't know if it was sadness or just being overwhelmed or something).
I completely love the relationship of Pocahontas and John. I feel this song made more evident the deep love and appreciation they had for each other.

As for slowing down the movie, I guess for me it isn't that way. My heart was really touched -- it was a deep experience, therefore it didn't slow it down.
I also liked where it was placed because right after it, the violent "Savages"song/scene came, and the two songs/scenes contrast each other. :wink:

I can't express how much I love "Pocahontas" now, I think it's also a classic.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Well I just saw the first Disc yesterday I already have Pocahontas on Gold Collection and just wanted to upgrade it. Today hopefully I'll see disc 2.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

That1GuyPictures wrote:Hopefully, the Disney '95 movie collection will someday be complete if they will just release A Goofy Movie in Widescreen.
1995 was a big year for Disney movies. You'd have a long way to go to have the complete Disney '95 Movie Collection in widescreen. We'd also need re-releases of <i>Man of the House</i>, <i>Heavyweights</i>, <i>Tom and Huck</i>, and <i>A Kid in King Arthur's Court</i>. Plus a R1 release of <i>Tall Tale</i>.

At least <i>Pocahontas</i> is one done right, as was and will be <i>Toy Story</i>, plus <i>Frank & Ollie</i>.

But I'm sure you were just talking about the animation. :)
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
shdwrlm3

Post by shdwrlm3 »

I've always loved "If I Never Knew You" (yes, even the pop version), and I thought it was a great addition to the movie. The only thing that irked me was Mel Gibson's singing voice. IMO, they really, really should have gotten a professional to stand in for him, because Mel's voice just isn't good enough for such a ballad.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the song reprised at the end of the film. Also enjoyed seeing the various deleted scenes. Heh, when I first bought the Pocahontas soundtrack years ago I always wondered why there were lyrics in the liner notes that didn't appear in the actual movie.
Anyways, the part I found myself watching over and over again was the "Savages" sequence.
Ooh, me too! It's always been one of my favorite "villain" songs, and the accompanying animation is just breathtaking.
No sign of Red Feather anywhere so far that I've seen....
An animation test of Red Feather is on Disc 2 somewhere. Haven't listened to the commentary yet, so don't know if he was mentioned there.
lolopimp
Banned Deadbeat

Post by lolopimp »

Pocahontas was not bad at all, but I have a problem with the song "If I never knew You". The song itself was good for the short while it lasted but then the reprises started and they got annoying. The movie has like 3 reprises (I Think) which are totally unnecessary. The rest was good, the animation was not bad and some of the songs were memorable. As said before, not bad at all.
Thanks to Rafiki from Lea for this awesome siggy!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time." -Ian Malcolm
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

shdwrlm3 wrote: The only thing that irked me was Mel Gibson's singing voice. IMO, they really, really should have gotten a professional to stand in for him, because Mel's voice just isn't good enough for such a ballad.
Well it may not be the best voice-but I give kudos to these big name actors who arent shy to sing for their character. Another good example is Jeremy Irons w/ Scar in The Lion King. They dont have to sing-but they choose to & I think thats wonderful... & same w/ James Woods for Hades even though he doesnt sing in the movie he did in the cartoon series & he wasnt half bad either.
Lady
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lady »

Well, I finally got my Amazon pre-order today. Not bad considering that it was only one day after the official release.

Did anyone else notice that John Smith's eyes seemed Paul Neuman-like blue? I found them really distracting because it differed so much from my VHS copy where his eyes were a far more normal blue.

I enjoyed the inclusion of "If I Never Knew You" in the movie and especially the part where the dog and the racoon (sorry, i'm bad with names) come in and watch. That was cute. I wish though that they hadn't started singing it again when Pocahontas and John Smith were saying goodbye. It just seemed inappropriate to sing love lines to each other with everyone watching them like that.
thompsoncory

Post by thompsoncory »

I bought this the other day and it's an excellent DVD set. Lots of interesting bonus features and a great new song. Another fantastic effort from the folks at Disney DVD.
<i>You are allowed one signature image up to 500 pixels in width and 100 pixels in height.</i>
BEAUTY & THE BEAST - The best Disney film ever!
starlioness
Gold Classic Collection

Post by starlioness »

I just saw this with the Special Edition of Mulan.. took a good 2 hours to get through the stuff on Pocahontas. I tell you if weren't a fan of Pocahontas before this DVD would change .. a whole heap load of stuff on it. especially Disc 2 . one of my favorite segments was Pocahontas's Character design by Glen Keane. when he started sketching Pocahontas after finishing with Ariel I almost wondered what Poca would look like with Ariel's hair 8) . and there are GOBS of Concept pics of Model Sheets . on most of the characters . *whew!*. even found the scnenes with redfeather in the designs section. I haven't listened to the commentary yet. and was surprised to see Percy talking in Red's test animation. but I guess if Red can talk so can Percy. not sure about flit though.

I didn't care for the Music section that much. I wish they would talk about score along with the songs..

I'll have to see If I never Knew you again to see what I think of it . but I like it better than the end credits version.

anybody found any Easter Eggs?
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

Fidget1234 wrote:yeah her name is Nakoma. I like her too... I always used to think her & Thomas should hook up- but she didnt.
I used to think that too!! :D
Image Image
Alice
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alice »

Such a Great DVD..........Love it.....

but is it me or does Pocahontas (and at times her friend) have sorta BROWN hair...instead of the BEAUTIFUL BLACK........
Alice coming back with POWER! POWER!
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I like the DVD. I don't like Mel Gibson's singing voice at all. The song "If I Never Knew You" doesn't get good for me until Pocahontas starts to sing again and for some reason, the animation looks a little cheaper than the scenes done for BATB and TLK, but oh well. Is it just me or is Disney downplaying this release? I haven't seen any big ads for it and stores don't seem to make a big deal of it's existance. I find that odd. Disney Direct didn't even pre-sell it. Anyways, most of the special features seem recycled from a past release. Laser disc perhaps? I would have liked some more new stuff. I haven't watched to commentary yet, but I plan on doing that soon. The picture and audio is well done. Overall a very good release. Pocahontas has never been a favorite of mine, but I still like it and am glad to own this special edition.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

goofystitch wrote:the animation looks a little cheaper than the scenes done for BATB and TLK
:o 'human again was CHEAP! utterly hideous to look at.the morning report was on the other hand seamless. don't make me worried.poca is my most fav and im yet to receive my copy of the dvd. i only wish i wouldnt disappoint me :cry:
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?