Gnomeo and Juliet is baaaack (release in 2011)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Gnomeo and Juliet is baaaack (release in 2011)

Post by singerguy04 »

hey, a friend of mine sent me this link! I thought you all would find it interesting!

http://releases.awn.com/index.php3?event_no=2722

It's about a new Disney Movie called "Gnomeo and Juliet". obviously based on Shakespears "Romeo and Juliet" but based in the world of ceramic gnomes! it'll also be animated in CGI. Sounds a lil weird but at the same time... Elton John and Tim Rice are joining up to write music for the film, and Ewan Mcgreror and Kate Winslet are expected to be the voices of Gnomeo and Juliet!!! Maybe disney is goin back to it's good ol' musical days.
Last edited by singerguy04 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I agree it sounds interesting and the music talent and voice cast is appealing (even if Ewan's voice seems to be everywhere these days). Unfortunately, the latest news suggests that this project was just a little odd and is in limbo of sorts.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

How could gnomes be understanding. Okay the Travelocity gnomes are not very interesting, but have you ever known another gnome to be uninteresting?
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I think it sounds like it could be funny, but maybe as a short rather than a feature film.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

Hmmm....
It sounds interesting, at the very least. I mean, Romeo and Juliet is one of my favourite stories and I think that Disney could do it justice, but setting it around gnomes? As Awallaceunc said, maybe as a short rather than a feature film.
Kate Winslet is a good choice for the role of Juliet, and Ewan McGregor could be interesting, but I'm hearing his voice all the time lately! Not that its a bad thing!
Just my thoughts....
-James
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

a Gnome...I'm wondering how that can be appealing?
Perhaps, they'll use attractive gnomes. Right now, the only gnome I can imagine is the Travelocity gnome..and blech!
I'd be interested to see this...even if it's in the CGI mode. :p

Maybe those Disney people will read this forum and reconsider the idea.
Aaron brings out a good point...as a short, rather than feature film.

Those Disney shorts are always good anyway! :up: :lol:
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I know that this film was reported about 3 years back! And for a while it disappeared off the face of the earth altogether. However when McGregor was promoting "Robots" back in February, he said in an interview that "Gnomeo and Juliet" was definitely still a go-go! I think he said it was a 2007 release date, although I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, I think that this movie's plot certainly has a lot of potential, so we'll have to wait and see what happens!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

ichabod wrote:However when McGregor was promoting "Robots" back in February, he said in an interview that "Gnomeo and Juliet" was definitely still a go-go! I think he said it was a 2007 release date, although I can't remember exactly.
Ichabod. The actor would be the last to know if the project was canned. And I'm not kidding when I say that. As long as he was paid for the work, the studio would have no reason to re-contact the agent and/or actor.

Of course, with animated work, actors are often called in at infrequent intervals to rerecord lines or record new ones. So it could still be on.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Andy
Special Edition

Post by Andy »

Oh yes i remember this, i seen it afew years back and forgot all about it. I cant really see it happening since theres been nothing about it for a long time now....
hiiiii
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Hmm music? I'm already liking this! :)
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Very very interesting, I'm all for Kate Winslet voicing a Disney character. This will be interesting.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This one was shelved about a year ago. I know Jim Hill is not 100% reliable, but haven't heard anything since he reported it was dead in the water. I don't think this film is gonna happen.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

I read on a diff page that this project was cancelled....

But if they're gonna go ahead w/ it & green light the project then I'll be looking forward to it & will DEF see it. I'm a sucker for love I love the Disney love stories. :float:
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
Raydawggie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Raydawggie »

Romeo and Juliet in the world of lawn gnomes? Please tell me this was supposed to posted on April 1st. Why doesn't Disney do anything like their old heroic epics anymore? I get that Shrek was a hit and animated comedy is in, but we need more variety.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

But it won't be a tragedy like its supposed to. Disney will change the ending like they did with the Little Mermaid which was a tragedy originally.
PMcOuntry
Special Edition

Post by PMcOuntry »

Anyone else think that's a gag/joke by someone. I'm sorry, but a movie featuring cermic gnome's seems rediculous, I highly doubt anyone would make a movie of it (although I do like gnomes, I have a few books and my mom collects gnome figures, not lawn ones).
-Tricia

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one,
I hope someday you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.
- John Lennon
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

A gnome??
like he ones of blue shirt, red pointy hat an white bearb??
Or like the happy one of "Lemony Snicketts"?

I think that Disney will try to copy the Shrek formula, but adding his always-magic touch on it
PMcOuntry
Special Edition

Post by PMcOuntry »

This was on www.imdb.com under Gnomeo & Juliet

Romance blooms between indoor and outdoor garden gnomes.
-Tricia

- John Lennon
PMcOuntry
Special Edition

Post by PMcOuntry »

Here's an article on it:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles ... php?ID=202

Disney CEO didn't want to make it, but they are still pushing for it... still think it sounds really silly, if it were "real" gnomes, it'd be cute, but cermic gnomes riding a pink flamingo?
-Tricia

- John Lennon
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

garden gnomes...
in loved...
riding a flamingo?!
does somebody abused of the catnip or what?