MULAN Special Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
snowbot
Gold Classic Collection

Post by snowbot »

I was equally baffled by the Jackie Chan thing, but with a little research I discovered that he voiced the Li Shang (Donny Osmond) character in the Asian versions of the film.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Getting bigger...
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

snowbot wrote:I was equally baffled by the Jackie Chan thing, but with a little research I discovered that he voiced the Li Shang (Donny Osmond) character in the Asian versions of the film.
Wow, I just thought the two were a funny match, I had no idea there was an actual connection here! Now that's funny.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Leonia
Special Edition

Post by Leonia »

Jack wrote:I'd like to see a "Reflection" video with William Hung singing AND jumping and dancing!
:shock:

Oh. My. God.

...urge to kill William Hung...rising... :evil:
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

awallaceunc wrote:
snowbot wrote:I was equally baffled by the Jackie Chan thing, but with a little research I discovered that he voiced the Li Shang (Donny Osmond) character in the Asian versions of the film.
Wow, I just thought the two were a funny match, I had no idea there was an actual connection here! Now that's funny.

-Aaron
Jackie Chan provided the voice for Li Shang in the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of Mulan. He sounds funny in it, because Shang is a young man but Jackie is a middle-aged guy. :lol:
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

disneychris04 wrote:
Jackie Chan provided the voice for Li Shang in the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of Mulan. He sounds funny in it, because Shang is a young man but Jackie is a middle-aged guy. :lol:
wow, it's super cool then that we're getting the Mandarin track on the American Dvds. I'll definitely have to watch and listen for that!
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Thanks Joe Carioca to make the Mulan 2 Disc DVD bigger it looks much better now.

Wow! it's has so much details on the cover and very, very creative not like some of the recent Disney covers. :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

MickeyMousePal wrote:Thanks Joe Carioca to make the Mulan 2 Disc DVD bigger it looks much better now.

Wow! it's has so much details on the cover and very, very creative not like some of the recent Disney covers. :D
Actually, the bigger cover is from Amazon, but you're welcome! ;)
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Joe Carioca Wrote
Actually, the bigger cover is from Amazon, but you're welcome! :wink:
Amazon does have it I didn't know they updated it.
That's is so cool!!! I wonder when they will update Aladdin. :)
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

toonaspie wrote:
disneychris04 wrote:
wow, it's super cool then that we're getting the Mandarin track on the American Dvds. I'll definitely have to watch and listen for that!
No, I didn't mean there's gonna be a Mandarin track on the American DVDs; he's only going to make an appearance in the music video. I heard Jackie Chan's voice-over because I live in Hong Kong.

By the way, the Mulan: Special Edition will be coming in July in Hong Kong, which is earlier than the US. :)
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Well, there is going to be a Mandarin track on the "Mulan" DVD, not on all DVDs. I guess it is just because Jackie Chan voices Shang.
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Joe Carioca wrote:Well, there is going to be a Mandarin track on the "Mulan" DVD, not on all DVDs. I guess it is just because Jackie Chan voices Shang.
There's no Mandarin track on the R1 Mulan DVD, is there? I don't see anything about it in the press release. I think only the Region 3 discs will get the Mandarin track. :wink:
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

From the technical specs at the top of the release -
• Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
• THX Certified
• Family Friendly Widescreen (1.66:1) Enhanced for 16x9 televisions
• Spanish, French and Mandarin Language Tracks
So yeah, we've got Mandarin on the R1. Kinda surprised, too - as Disney rarely does novel things like that; unless of course, their market studies show that a lot of Chinese Americans dug the film, which I doubt. :roll: ;)

Now the question remains - where the hell is that Cantonese track?! :lol:
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Paka wrote:From the technical specs at the top of the release -
• Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
• THX Certified
• Family Friendly Widescreen (1.66:1) Enhanced for 16x9 televisions
• Spanish, French and Mandarin Language Tracks
So yeah, we've got Mandarin on the R1. Kinda surprised, too - as Disney rarely does novel things like that; unless of course, their market studies show that a lot of Chinese Americans dug the film, which I doubt. :roll: ;)

Now the question remains - where the hell is that Cantonese track?! :lol:
Oops... guess I missed that one, sorry. :oops: the Cantonese track seems not to be in the Region 1 disc, but it surely will be available in Region 3. :)
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Jackie Chan did both the speaking and singing parts in the Mandarin version, so it will be he singing in the music video. I think he recorded the song in both Mandarin and English, so the video might be the English version.
Coco Lee was the singing and I think also the speaking voice of Mulan in the Mandarin version. She also recorded "Reflection" in both Mandarin and English.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Billy Moon wrote:Jackie Chan did both the speaking and singing parts in the Mandarin version, so it will be he singing in the music video. I think he recorded the song in both Mandarin and English, so the video might be the English version.
Coco Lee was the singing and I think also the speaking voice of Mulan in the Mandarin version. She also recorded "Reflection" in both Mandarin and English.

Wow thats really cool but for clearifcation reasons and may I am just a l;ittle slow are we going to have the Madarin version of the film on the Region 1 DVD ? :?
Swiss
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Swiss »

DreamerQ18 wrote:
Billy Moon wrote:Jackie Chan did both the speaking and singing parts in the Mandarin version, so it will be he singing in the music video. I think he recorded the song in both Mandarin and English, so the video might be the English version.

Wow thats really cool but for clearifcation reasons and may I am just a l;ittle slow are we going to have the Madarin version of the film on the Region 1 DVD ? :?
Looks like it, according to the specs. I am really looking forward to watching the movie in Mandarin, even though I don't speak it.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Nedakh wrote:
DreamerQ18 wrote:
Looks like it, according to the specs. I am really looking forward to watching the movie in Mandarin, even though I don't speak it.

Oh Yay me too I don't speak but can't wait to hear it :D ! Thanks for your help :) .
WOLFie

Mulan SE

Post by WOLFie »

Sorry if this has been posted before if so delete.

specs from IGN.
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/521/521405p1.html
The video will be in new digital 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound mix. Other extras include:

Deleted scenes, including alternate openings

Never-Before-Heard Deleted Song "Keep 'Em Guessing"

Disney Pedia: Mulan's World

Music videos: "I'll Make A Man Out Of You," "Reflection," (featuring Jackie Chan) and "True To Your Heart."

Audio commentary with the filmmakers

The Journey Begins behind-the-scenes featurette

Story Artists Journey.

Design, production, music and international featurettes.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

This is kinda of old news, but this look on the coverart is a bit different - so thanks for posting! :)